The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 13 February 2008, 06:48 AM   #1
crimscrem
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS DJ/SS GMT-IIc
Would you guys do this deal or can I do better?

SS/Plat. YM for 10% off no tax. (The discount is off current pricing.)
crimscrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2008, 06:50 AM   #2
worktolivelife
"TRF" Member

better!!
Old 13 February 2008, 06:52 AM   #3
C.J.
"TRF" Member

I think it depends on your area. Where I live, for a first time buyer at my AD, that's about as good as you'll get on a YM.
Old 13 February 2008, 06:56 AM   #4
crimscrem
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.J. View Post
I think it depends on your area. Where I live, for a first time buyer at my AD, that's about as good as you'll get on a YM.
I've bought two watches off them already, so I expected about 15%. Hmmm.
Old 13 February 2008, 06:59 AM   #5
worktolivelife
"TRF" Member

After purchasing 2 previous watches nothing high end "just SS" i got less 20% PLUS the Daytona clasp and comfort link thrown in!

steve
Old 13 February 2008, 07:00 AM   #6
JBat
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16610, DJ
Did you ask for 15% off? Squeaky wheel get the grease, as they say. If they won't give it to you, I'm betting someone here can put you in touch with an AD who will.
JBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2008, 07:34 AM   #7
Earl Camembert
Banned

Point of order, what if I don't care about a mechanical watch that is great in the special Olympic class as far as time keeping goes but for some people gives a nostalgic connection to the past and I just want to hustle a buck off the sentimental value?

That is an academic question as I have more mechanical wrist watches then electric.
Earl Camembert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2008, 08:11 AM   #8
crimscrem
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBat View Post
Did you ask for 15% off? Squeaky wheel get the grease, as they say. If they won't give it to you, I'm betting someone here can put you in touch with an AD who will.
Yes, I asked. The response was that they sell so well that he does not discount more than 10% on them.
Old 13 February 2008, 08:54 AM   #9
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by crimscrem View Post
Yes, I asked. The response was that they sell so well that he does not discount more than 10% on them.
Keep prodding, but not to the point where you aggravate them. Especially if you're paying in cash. The worst thing they'll tell you is no, 10% is it. So that's better than nothing at all
Old 13 February 2008, 10:20 AM   #10
Earl Camembert
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman View Post
Keep prodding, but not to the point where you aggravate them. Especially if you're paying in cash. The worst thing they'll tell you is no, 10% is it. So that's better than nothing at all
You should ask if his fire insurance is paid up and what his health insurance covers. Enquiring minds want to know.
Old 13 February 2008, 10:40 AM   #11
mailman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Camembert View Post
You should ask if his fire insurance is paid up and what his health insurance covers. Enquiring minds want to know.
Why? Because I gave an answer to a question that was asked. As far as this thread goes, you have been nothing but an unhelpful nuisance.
Old 13 February 2008, 01:18 PM   #12
Chozn1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub and President
I'm an easy dude to deal with in business, but I never feel bad about asking someone if they can do any better. I've had too many people say "MMMMM... Gosh... what the hell. I can shave a little more off", for me to not at least ask.

As far as this deal goes, I'd see if I could find an AD with a better deal and walk in to your AD with that exact amount of cash including shipping and tell them that your buying a watch today, and you just need to know who from. This is of course assuming you're ready to pull the trigger. It may be that your AD's not sure that you're really ready to seal the deal.

I'll just say this; In my business I've made some pretty heavy concessions when someone had cash in hand and said that either I was going to be getting it, or my competition was. Better to make less profit than none at all. Especially when they're just handing a piece of merchandise over the counter and can get another YM rather easily.
Chozn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2008, 04:14 PM   #13
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
SS/Plat. YM for 10% off no tax. (The discount is off current pricing.)
I paid around USD 7K for mine....out-the-door!! How does that price compare with what you're paying?

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2008, 06:20 AM   #14
crimscrem
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
I paid around USD 7K for mine....out-the-door!! How does that price compare with what you're paying?
The price would be $7490. 15%, which is what I expected based on my past purchases and past discounts from this AD, would put the watch at $7076.
Old 14 February 2008, 06:22 AM   #15
crimscrem
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chozn1 View Post
I'm an easy dude to deal with in business, but I never feel bad about asking someone if they can do any better. I've had too many people say "MMMMM... Gosh... what the hell. I can shave a little more off", for me to not at least ask.

As far as this deal goes, I'd see if I could find an AD with a better deal and walk in to your AD with that exact amount of cash including shipping and tell them that your buying a watch today, and you just need to know who from. This is of course assuming you're ready to pull the trigger. It may be that your AD's not sure that you're really ready to seal the deal.

I'll just say this; In my business I've made some pretty heavy concessions when someone had cash in hand and said that either I was going to be getting it, or my competition was. Better to make less profit than none at all. Especially when they're just handing a piece of merchandise over the counter and can get another YM rather easily.
At least on the initial call, he was not willing to budge from the 10%, which surprised me because that's what he gave me on my GMT-IIc. I also think he knows I'm serious because I purchased two watches from him last month.

Interestingly, he doesn't give additional discounts based on method of payment. I did like this since I'd prefer paying with a credit card.
Old 14 February 2008, 06:22 AM   #16
crimscrem
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I agree with this. I always ask, and then ask again until I'm certain that the guy won't go any lower.
Old 14 February 2008, 06:25 AM   #17
mailman

Quote:
I agree with this. I always ask, and then ask again until I'm certain that the guy won't go any lower.
You think the fact that you purchased two watched from him in the last month, he would do better than 10%. Even if he meets you half way say around 12-13%
Old 14 February 2008, 06:45 AM   #18
crimscrem
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You think the fact that you purchased two watched from him in the last month, he would do better than 10%. Even if he meets you half way say around 12-13%
yeah, here's the kicker. I'm almost certain that this AD's going to call me for a daytona based on my already 2 purchases and this upcoming third purchase. He pretty much told me so when I asked for an update. So, that makes me want to go to this guy. But I was disappointed with the 10% off on the YM. I'm now thinking of one of two DJs (the subject of a post on the Rolex page). I can get 15% off on those, but given that there's typically more room to move on a TT DJ as opposed to a SS, I'd like to see him offer up a 17%-18% discount on the TT DJ.
Old 14 February 2008, 07:32 AM   #19
redshirt1957
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blue YM today!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Camembert View Post
Point of order, what if I don't care about a mechanical watch that is great in the special Olympic class as far as time keeping goes but for some people gives a nostalgic connection to the past and I just want to hustle a buck off the sentimental value?

That is an academic question as I have more mechanical wrist watches then electric.
I must be getting old in dog years because I read the above twice and am still trying to find meaning. Must be me. No disrespect Earl, just missing the point.
redshirt1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2008, 09:20 AM   #20
Lisa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redshirt1957 View Post
I must be getting old in dog years because I read the above twice and am still trying to find meaning. Must be me. No disrespect Earl, just missing the point.
Joe, you're not alone, but I think Paulie must've understood it.
Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2008, 09:38 AM   #21
mailman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa View Post
Old 14 February 2008, 10:22 AM   #22
CoopJr
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subs
Quote:
I can get 15% off on those, but given that there's typically more room to move on a TT DJ as opposed to a SS, I'd like to see him offer up a 17%-18% discount on the TT DJ.
I know a guy who paid cash for a TT YM and got just over 20% off on it. So a DJ, which is a beautiful watch but not too popular, should bring that as well.

If you change your mind and go with a TT DJ and he doesn't give you 20%, especially with 2 previous purchases, I'd walk. 10% off on a YM doesn't sound too bad. If you really want it, it sounds fair.
CoopJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2008, 12:55 PM   #23
crimscrem
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopJr View Post
I know a guy who paid cash for a TT YM and got just over 20% off on it. So a DJ, which is a beautiful watch but not too popular, should bring that as well.

If you change your mind and go with a TT DJ and he doesn't give you 20%, especially with 2 previous purchases, I'd walk. 10% off on a YM doesn't sound too bad. If you really want it, it sounds fair.
Thanks for your advice. I spoke with another AD (a local one where I'd have to pay sales tax), and the best they'd offer on the TT DJ was 15% as well. Obviously in that case, I'm going out of state.

I mentioned this on another post, but one reason why I'm inclined to go back to this guy is because I'm pretty sure I'll get a Daytona from him later this year based on where I am on the list. It kills me that I'm thinking this way; willing to "be held hostage" by the lure of spending more money on another watch.
Old 14 February 2008, 11:20 PM   #24
Earl Camembert
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa View Post
Sorry posted in the wrong thread. My head hurts from trying to find NOS parts for a 1970 DD and I'm still not sure why.

To the OP you buy enough watches from that AD to get a better deal. I don't know how many ADs you have near you but I have over 20 in one hour’s drive. Make them squeal. Bring in gray market offers that state all numbers are still on the watch. Tell the AD all you lose is the one year warrantee that can be gotten back by taking the watch to Rolex USA for service at a cost of $400. Make them squeal.

Last edited by Earl Camembert; 14 February 2008 at 11:30 PM.. Reason: P.S.
Old 14 February 2008, 11:41 PM   #25
Alex Stylianou
"TRF" Member

better !
Alex Stylianou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2008, 06:12 AM   #26
stevetilley

Watch: SS/Plat YM 40mm
crimscrem, when you do go through with your YM pruchase, would you be so kind as to PM me with the deal that you got? I am looking for a 16622 myself, and will likely puchase during an upcoming trip to the U.S. (I am in a remote part of Canada without a Rolex dealer.) It would be very helpful to know what kind of prices prople in the U.S. are paying. Thanks!!
stevetilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2008, 07:04 AM   #27
crimscrem
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetilley View Post
crimscrem, when you do go through with your YM pruchase, would you be so kind as to PM me with the deal that you got? I am looking for a 16622 myself, and will likely puchase during an upcoming trip to the U.S. (I am in a remote part of Canada without a Rolex dealer.) It would be very helpful to know what kind of prices prople in the U.S. are paying. Thanks!!
I'm actually going to go with a TT DJ. A couple of ADs I've talked to have offered 10% off, so I think that's a minimum discount. Others, as demonstrated by this thread, have gotten more.