The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 12 November 2020, 01:38 AM   #1
Hamilton3
"TRF" Member

Thoughts on this 1967 Oysterdate 6694

The price is within my very modest range and I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on whether it is legit.

Wondering about whether it is authentic, to what degree it is all original, and about any red flags.

New to the Rolex Forum and I look forward to learning.
Attached Images
File Type: png IMG_7625.PNG (34.5 KB, 263 views)
File Type: png IMG_7629.PNG (54.5 KB, 267 views)
File Type: png IMG_7631.PNG (55.8 KB, 268 views)
File Type: png IMG_7623.PNG (90.0 KB, 267 views)
Hamilton3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2020, 02:16 AM   #2
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

We wont be able to give much insight until you are able to post pics. You can use a pic hosting site like Imgur where you can then copy and embed the pic address into your post.
Old 12 November 2020, 02:48 AM   #3
Wigwag
Banned

Need better pictures. Dial is restored/wrong for the model. Bracelet looks to be in poor condition based on the limited photography.
Wigwag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2020, 03:10 AM   #4
offrdmania

Bracelet is stretched and needs to be rebuilt (rebuild for around $300). The dial and hands could be replaced or they may not. The jury is still out if these came from the factory with gold hour indices and gold hands on an all stainless watch.

Keep in mind that in the 60s, 70s and even later on, an AD would swap out dials and hands to a customers liking.

What is the seller asking? Is it the watch only or is there a box and papers?
Old 12 November 2020, 03:22 AM   #5
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by offrdmania View Post
Bracelet is stretched and needs to be rebuilt (rebuild for around $300). The dial and hands could be replaced or they may not. The jury is still out if these came from the factory with gold hour indices and gold hands on an all stainless watch.

Keep in mind that in the 60s, 70s and even later on, an AD would swap out dials and hands to a customers liking.

What is the seller asking? Is it the watch only or is there a box and papers?
I didn't know about that. Any idea what options were available?
WatchEater666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2020, 03:34 AM   #6
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Good looking watch.

Nothing to say that it is not authentic. The dial is likely a 70's replacement and so I would say that it is not "original", but then few watches from that era are.
Old 12 November 2020, 04:33 AM   #7
offrdmania

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchEater666 View Post
I didn't know about that. Any idea what options were available?
For the most part the dial colors were silver, gold, black, and blue with silver or gold indices. I have seen white but cant confirm if it is a factory color or is aftermarket.
Old 12 November 2020, 05:22 AM   #8
68shark
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1969 Oysterdate
The 6694 had a "two tone" option. That being exactly what yours has, gold hands, markers in an otherwise SS body. I have the same watch but with a service replacement dial and hands. If it's a service dial, fear not. These aren't high dollar watches so a factory replacement dial and hands can be a nice upgrade. Expanding the pic's on my laptop isn't great as the resolution is very low. That said, looks like an original dial to me.
68shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2020, 05:56 AM   #9
chinaski
"TRF" Member

Watch: SpeedyProExplorer1
Not too much to add, but I like this reference. Date is non quickset fyi.

Good simple little watch.
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2020, 08:15 AM   #10
Nick9
"TRF" Member

I have a 6694 that has a two-tone dial; an off white band around the outside circumference.

I posted a picture of it here a while back and the consensus was that it was also authentic.
Nick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2020, 02:26 AM   #11
Hamilton3
"TRF" Member

Thank you to everyone who weighed in
Hamilton3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2020, 03:02 AM   #12
Mendota
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP36 Blue 3-6-9
I have nothing to add, other than I really like the 6694. Every so often you can find really good deals on well maintained pieces.
Mendota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2020, 01:53 AM   #13
Vlad
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68shark View Post
The 6694 had a "two tone" option. That being exactly what yours has, gold hands, markers in an otherwise SS body. I have the same watch but with a service replacement dial and hands. If it's a service dial, fear not. These aren't high dollar watches so a factory replacement dial and hands can be a nice upgrade. Expanding the pic's on my laptop isn't great as the resolution is very low. That said, looks like an original dial to me.
+1, The dial might be service as the the markers and the hands look to be 'late' production 6694, yet the rivetted band indicates early production (assuming the band is original to the watch).

What's the serial number?

Also, unlike others, I like the band and don't see too much stretch in it, at least not on the photos you posted.

My first Rolex was a 6694, but with a white dial and folded band - loved them ever since! Great watch, but it and enjoy it!

OK, let's hear some comments on this one :)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6694 Black Dial small.JPG (34.6 KB, 154 views)
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2020, 01:02 AM   #14
Das
"TRF" Member

Dial is spot on - it's likely a service dial and hands. I have one from 1965 and looks exactly the same (Rolex Service replaced the dial and hands but gave the old ones back to me - those were the days!).

These also came with grey linen dials and brushed silver, but these are very rare (only seen two of each ever for sale). 6694s also came with Jubilee bracelets, but these are harder to find.
Das is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2020, 06:55 AM   #15
Wigwag
Banned

RSC are very mean these days unfortunately; the gold baton dials are from the gold plated version of this watch, 6694/1, and they will insist on replacement at service time.
Wigwag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2020, 03:03 AM   #16
Das
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigwag View Post
RSC are very mean these days unfortunately; the gold baton dials are from the gold plated version of this watch, 6694/1, and they will insist on replacement at service time.
Yes now they won't give anything back. I explained (I think in 2007) that it was my father's watch and had sentimental value, so they agreed to give back the old hands and dial once service was completed.

I doubt they would ever do that now.
Das is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2020, 07:33 AM   #17
68shark
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1969 Oysterdate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigwag View Post
There are a number of sources online that note that gold marker dials were offered on SS 6694's. My watch, for example, is identical to Vlad's. Mine also on a rivet 7205. Watch dates to 1969. I had no idea there was a gold plated version, that's interesting.

Tommy Taylor (RWT) put this basket case of a watch back together and sourced the new parts in 2015. Otherwise, it was a parts watch, basically.
68shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2020, 07:50 AM   #18
SunTzu
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513 116234 79280P
Mine is a stainless from 1973 with gold hour markers and hands too. Original tapering oyster bracelet is not a stretch rivet. Fun little watch. Runs like a champ. A PITA cause it's not a quick set so I don't wear it as much, only when the date is close to the date on the watch to change.

Old 19 November 2020, 08:18 AM   #19
motoikkyu
2024 Pledge Member

Just to play the advocate again, as I always do, many SS watches of that era, particularly IWC, were all stainless but had dials with gold indices and gold hands. I know that no one today believes this, the dials must be from a gold-tone watch, but I do not believe this to be the case. Fashions change, folks! I still freak out when I see a guy wearing a bespoke black suit, impeccably tailored, with BROWN shoes. This was NOT a thing, back in the day, but SS watches with gold indices and hands WAS.