The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 November 2020, 12:03 AM   #31
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by owl. View Post
Agree with that, the thing is that a Seiko turtle has an advertised accuracy that is NO WHERE clase to the Rolex accuracy

But then a Rolex is a lot more expensive

Anyway, I used to have a turtle, and it was a very very good watch for the money.

Well, I got my turtle a few months ago. It was running +11-13 for the first month or so. Lately it has been running +6/7 per day. For a watch under 500 bucks, that’s that accurate and tough as nails, as well as a descent heritage, that’s not bad at all.

As for the accuracy and toughness, I would also put forward the doxa sub. A watch with real heritage, accuracy, toughness, and affordable as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2020, 01:06 AM   #32
Gimoozaabi
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the grass grow
Quote:
Originally Posted by kieselguhr View Post
Sinn watches. Particularly the EZM series of watches.
Another vote for Sinn. I own 3: U1, EZM3F and 103St. I have nothing bad to say about these watches and I have put the U1 and EZM3F through a lot. I used to visit Frankfurt a lot for work and it was always a pleasure to visit the Sinn store at their central location where I had chat with the current company owner (mr. Lothar Schmidt) once and with their master watch technician at Romemberg plaza. Great company for which I have a soft spot.
Gimoozaabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2020, 01:58 AM   #33
slopes213
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
Quote:
Originally Posted by bp1000 View Post
Tudor's Titanium Pelagos

Good luck trying to break that thing.
While I agree (I have ABUSED my Pelagos over the past 4 years- to include a deployment) it definitely shows its wear more than my Sinn. That grade 2 titanium is easily scratched in my experience. Regardless, good luck trying to "break" it. Mine still keeps outstanding time.
slopes213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2020, 02:11 AM   #34
borispolk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
The playing field has changed with ceramics and I dont believe the Rolex movement or watch in general has any real advantage in durability over similar built watches. As much as I love my Rolex watches, I see nothing with them that stands out as being more durable. The days of those advertisements from Rolex have long passed.

That said, my Panerai Carbotech will kick any Rolex down the road and not have a mark on it when its done doing it. Personally have tested the toughness of the Panerai Carbotech off a stone bridge pier underwater on a dive. My DSSD JC would have its ceramic bezel shattered with huge dents on the case with a similar hit. I have taken many dives over the last 30 years with Rolex, Omega, Panerai, etc... I feel I have a real good idea of real world performance and level of abuse a mechanical watch can take. The Panerai Carbotech is next level build material for a luxury watch.

Now if we get into the movements, Rolex amplitude is very weak compared to more advanced mechanical movements with dual barrel mainsprings. In house movements from Omega, Panerai p9010,etc... have significantly stronger amplitude and hold their accuracy longer into their power reserve than Rolex. This matters because accuracy only at the very top of its power reserve means very little in real world application. Ideally you want a accurate watch when you pick it up from a resting position when its mainspring wont be at its very top. I have tested most of them on the scope and in any resting position the amplitude is stronger than the Rolex "31xx" and newest "32xx" series movements.
↑↑↑↑ This. ↑↑↑↑

Rolex built they repututation on being a tool watch. Durable watches for specific use - diving, flying etc. First ones bringing innovations also. That's the reputation they still live off today.

Todays watches are no less durable. Despite Rolex putting emphasis in durable movements and longer service periods, but many manufacturers are close or even surpassed Rolex. Omega most notably, but many others too.
borispolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2020, 03:30 AM   #35
Fred48
Banned

And don't forget the Omega Speedy; back in the day, it was the only watch that passed all of NASA's tests, and then went to the moon (and back).
Fred48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2020, 03:34 AM   #36
goliat
"TRF" Member

Sinn is the equivalent of a Nokia 3310
goliat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2020, 03:46 AM   #37
BigAppleBill
"TRF" Member

https://www.muehle-glashuette.de/en/...-rescue-timer/
BigAppleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2020, 05:56 AM   #38
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Omega is right up there with Rolex and as far as durability, probably better. 904L is buttery soft compared to my experience with titanium or 316L watches. Also, being objective and on paper, a few Omega movements I think are superior to Rolex movements, it's that one has a name that carries a lot more weight in the public view, plus I find RSC much easier to negotiate than Omega service centers.

Shocked no has said Panerai. For my money if I were to honestly consider a high quality mechanical watch that I'd take to work(military type work), in the jungles, excursion into the desert or banging around on a dive trip...you know that weird term some swear by....."tool watch", I honestly would chose a Submersible over both Omega and Rolex and the price can't be beat.
I've had coworkers who've worn basic 1950s case Pams and Submersibles for years and years through the crap, and not that a Sub/Explorer or Seamaster/PO couldn't but the Submersible I think excels much better in this regard.

I'm of the current generation watch enthusiast and sorry but I don't under any context consider a Rolex to be a "tool watch" and that's because of it's evolution in the market and in society.
Sure it still has the pedigree, heritage, dependability and durable nature as it always did, and ceramics are arguably more durable in more day to day situations than aluminum, but there's just no way I'd take my Deepsea or BLRO to do the type of tactical/medical based work I engage in. Ironically as I alluded in how the Rolex has evolved, for one, replacing any Rolex today is a pita.

At the lower end, watches by Sinn and Marathon are great mechanical watch options.

Edit: Noticed Mystro mentioned his Pam and I concur exactly with his sentiments all around the block and back. He's spot on, Pam for the win.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2020, 06:13 AM   #39
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred48 View Post
And don't forget the Omega Speedy; back in the day, it was the only watch that passed all of NASA's tests, and then went to the moon (and back).
The Speedy is a massively incredibly tough watch, it's just that it's also massively limited by it's weak water performance.
I love the Speedmaster on dry land but honestly something simple like, jumping in and out of pools or splashing around on a beach, thrashing around enjoying family water sports, I just couldn't feel confident, it's not it's environment.
I'd like to think of durable and reliable watches to be ones that can perform in both spectrums thinking like what mechanical watch would Bear Grylls wear(he uses a Luminox most often).
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2020, 06:17 AM   #40
BogdanS
"TRF" Member

Omega voids the warranty if you wear the watch while on a bike (motorcycle or bicycle). Rolex holds his warranty valid, no matter how you use it.

BogdanS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2020, 06:39 AM   #41
owl.
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Citizen Ti
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester01 View Post
Well, I got my turtle a few months ago. It was running +11-13 for the first month or so. Lately it has been running +6/7 per day. For a watch under 500 bucks, that’s that accurate and tough as nails, as well as a descent heritage, that’s not bad at all.

As for the accuracy and toughness, I would also put forward the doxa sub. A watch with real heritage, accuracy, toughness, and affordable as well.

Wow that’s pretty neat.

Mine was +18 seconds a day about.

Which I looked up online, and if I’m not mistaken is within the tolerance for that Seiko watch.

After regulation it did a lot better

owl. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2020, 07:12 AM   #42
Maxy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlington View Post
Not including G-Shocks and alike.

Rolex have a reputation for making extremely tough and durable timepieces.

But do they hold the crown in this regard, or can anyone else give them competition for outright resilience to whatever gets thrown at it ?
I have worn various brands and Breitling is the last one I got into and I feel Breitling are more rock solid than even Rolex. You can do anything with Breitling watches and it'll withstand it. Even the bezel is screwed down unlike Rolex where it'll pop-up if it touches the right angle in a door. Bracelet and case are like tanks.

Maxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2020, 07:47 AM   #43
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Is there a brand that makes a tougher mechanical watch ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogdanS View Post
Omega voids the warranty if you wear the watch while on a bike (motorcycle or bicycle). Rolex holds his warranty valid, no matter how you use it.

I never knew that !

Is that across the whole brand ?

What would Monsieur Bond have to say.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2020, 08:23 AM   #44
BogdanS
"TRF" Member

Is there a brand that makes a tougher mechanical watch ?

Quote:
I never knew that !

Had a friend in this situation, Omega service center had him pay the repair because of the vibrations that occur on riding a bike. I specifically asked tmy Rolex AD about that (they’re also the RSC for my country) and they confirmed that the 5 years warranty covers any use of the watch, as long as you don’t drop it.

Old 24 November 2020, 08:32 AM   #45
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Had a friend in this situation, Omega service center had him pay the repair because of the vibrations that occur on riding a bike. I specifically asked tmy Rolex AD about that (they’re also the RSC for my country) and they confirmed that the 5 years warranty covers any use of the watch, as long as you don’t drop it.

Looks like something the service center made up so your friend had to pay for the service.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2020, 08:33 AM   #46
C0d
Banned

Watch: Dog
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTX I View Post
Looks like something the service center made up so your friend had to pay for the service.
LOL, +1.

Did they happen to ask them about the oscillations and lack of steady drive that their Moonwatch is designed to withstand?
C0d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2020, 08:38 AM   #47
gtnator
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DSSD, SD43, Pepsi,
PELAGOS! The only titanium watch made by Rolex/Tudor. It’s bulletproof. (Not my pic)

gtnator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2020, 08:41 AM   #48
C0d
Banned

Watch: Dog
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtnator View Post
PELAGOS! The only titanium watch made by Rolex/Tudor. It’s bulletproof. (Not my pic)

The Blue Pelagos makes me melt. I am yet to get over the hour hand, if that weren't there I'd have jumped on it.
C0d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2020, 08:49 AM   #49
vh2k
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Omega voids the warranty if you wear the watch while on a bike (motorcycle or bicycle).
Rolex warranty is voided if worn on a roller coaster or speedboat.

(See how easy it is to post something without any basis in fact?)
vh2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2020, 09:07 AM   #50
BogdanS
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vh2k View Post
Rolex warranty is voided if worn on a roller coaster or speedboat.

(See how easy it is to post something without any basis in fact?)

?! I just described above a situation that actually happend.

Old 24 November 2020, 09:10 AM   #51
Pete26
Banned

Quote:
I never knew that !

Especially after jumping off a bridge while narrowly being run over by a car and not to mention the motorbike chases and the fistfights.

https://youtu.be/BIhNsAtPbPI
Pete26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2020, 09:14 AM   #52
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
?! I just described above a situation that actually happend.

This is what's written on the manual. Riding a bike is not abnormal use, lack of care or negligence. I'm sorry to say but they pulled a fast one on your friend.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (97.9 KB, 170 views)
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2020, 09:22 AM   #53
Undefeatable
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
Sinn, Ball, Damasko, Seiko, honestly I am sure there are a ton of watches as tough or tougher than Rolex.
Old 24 November 2020, 09:40 AM   #54
britabroad
"TRF" Member

Watch: GS SBGV245
Marathon Autos - various

Love my GSAR, well recommended if its your style
britabroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2020, 09:44 AM   #55
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undefeatable View Post
Sinn, Ball, Damasko, Seiko, honestly I am sure there are a ton of watches as tough or tougher than Rolex.
So I know nothing about ball but have owned all others. Totally agree.

I will say though it’s rare to come across a brand that’s as refined in both design and materials, that is as reliable and durable.

Only other brand I have experience with that completely blew me away is oris. The Aquis is a fantastic diver and the fit and finish is incredible. Will post some pics later.
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2020, 10:03 AM   #56
Thanos
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Not including G-Shocks and alike.

Rolex have a reputation for making extremely tough and durable timepieces.

But do they hold the crown in this regard, or can anyone else give them competition for outright resilience to whatever gets thrown at it ?
Seiko. Arguably more tough and durable than Rolex for that matter.
Thanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2020, 10:05 AM   #57
Thanos
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Seiko, the turtle and others are at least as tough. The cool thing about seiko, is one does not need to go up to the MM price to get watches that are exceedingly robust.
x2. Nailed it.

Seiko is a juggernaut.
Thanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2020, 10:09 AM   #58
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
As other have said, there’s many. My choice would be Seiko.

But only a Rolex is still worth something after being crushed by a bus. So there’s that.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2020, 10:10 AM   #59
Fred48
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAppleBill View Post
Cool watch. I have Muhle's flieger style watch and really like it.
Fred48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2020, 10:12 AM   #60
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Seiko, the turtle and others are at least as tough. The cool thing about seiko, is one does not need to go up to the MM price to get watches that are exceedingly robust.
Then why bother with Rolex at all if that's your sentiments. Seems like they're your favorites. There's a lot lacking in the GSs I own that separate them from Rolex. I believe the Rolex robustness is across the spectrum as opposed to the GS watches I own.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote