The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 23 November 2020, 06:10 PM   #91
belutak
"TRF" Member

Watch: Variety
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uggi View Post
I'm amazed you could interpret it as extortion.
A business has something to sell and puts conditions on the sale to try to maximise the price it gets for it, within the law.
What's to see here?

Hmmm... not sure if that would be within law in Australia though

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 23 November 2020, 06:18 PM   #92
Uggi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by belutak View Post

I'm genuinely intrigued - which Australian law would it break? How does that work? If I was to advertise a motorbike and a car for sale but stipulate that they must be bought together for eg - is that illegal in Oz?
Incredibly restrictive and oppressive legal system if so. You need a revolution!
Old 23 November 2020, 06:25 PM   #93
belutak
"TRF" Member

Watch: Variety
Pretty sure Austrralian Consumer Competition Commission would find it discriminatory in some way. Oz seems to be easier to live in than US, in comparison. More balanced, sort of

Old 23 November 2020, 06:29 PM   #94
HiDive
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Seadweller50
Quote:
Originally Posted by teck21 View Post
Extortion is a criminal offence. You should go to the police.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He is in Thailand, extortion is not a crime it is a hobby.
Old 23 November 2020, 06:31 PM   #95
Uggi
Banned

Quote:
Pretty sure Austrralian Consumer Competition Commission would find it discriminatory in some way. Oz seems to be easier to live in than US, in comparison. More balanced, sort of

Could understand if the seller was in a monopolistic position or if it were selling energy or something essential but...... a little AD selling luxury watches? Seems oppressive.
Old 23 November 2020, 07:37 PM   #96
Ian Macdermott
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
OP should have told the AD to go and boil his head in urine.
Old 23 November 2020, 10:20 PM   #97
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyJuice View Post
Time to change AD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
Old 23 November 2020, 11:07 PM   #98
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
Quote:

...and do you think you would still get the watch you want after all that?
Old 24 November 2020, 01:17 AM   #99
Gary Busey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay
Rolex is a piker brand now.
Rolli Rolli Rolli.....

many other cooler watches out there, dont hesitate to look around. As ive said before, Rolex has lost its path, and people are falling out of love. I for one, used to LOVE the brand, but now dont really care. Makes zero sense to pay for those asking prices. Like paying 200K for the new Supra. If you're a fanboy and need to have it show your other fanboy friends, go for it, by all means. But that piker premium is not something ill be paying for. Omega, Zenith, Bulgari (octo finissimo).

Also your AD is a dick
Doxa Sub 200, SKX009
Aquastar Deepstar
Old 24 November 2020, 01:25 AM   #100
jumpmaster 175
"TRF" Member

Dealer "mark-up" BS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Busey View Post
Rolex is a piker brand now.
Rolli Rolli Rolli.....

many other cooler watches out there, dont hesitate to look around. As ive said before, Rolex has lost its path, and people are falling out of love. I for one, used to LOVE the brand, but now dont really care. Makes zero sense to pay for those asking prices. Like paying 200K for the new Supra. If you're a fanboy and need to have it show your other fanboy friends, go for it, by all means. But that piker premium is not something ill be paying for. Omega, Zenith, Bulgari (octo finissimo).

Also your AD is a dick
so true...when purchasing a truck for my son the local Toyota dealer had a new Supra with a $80K "additional dealer mark-up"...pass
Old 24 November 2020, 01:28 AM   #101
inglewood1026
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
That's ridiculous. Both my local AD's got me on list (and delivered within a month) for a new sub this fall...I had no prior history at either. Time to shop elsewhere if I were you...
Old 24 November 2020, 01:31 AM   #102
dkg1616
"TRF" Member

I’d go grey and forget them
Old 24 November 2020, 01:32 AM   #103
Maxy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathai View Post
Visited my local Rolex AD today, to ask about the new models and to be added to their waiting-list.

Having spent over 30.000 USD in their shop over the past 12 months, I thought it would at least be possible to get on their waiting-list.

This was when I was informed about their rules, when it can to any kind of popular sports watch. The rule was: You can only buy a sports model, if you also at the same time buy another un-popular Rolex watch.

I was kind of in chock hearing this and said I would simply not be extorted to buy something I did not want. Their response was pretty cold... "Well, then you will not be able to buy the watch you want here". I then asked if the other (un-popular) Rolex watches I previously had purchased could not count as an extra, but NO... It had to be purchased at the same time.

Honestly, is this really what Rolex has become? A company/brand extorting their customers like this? I don't think I will ever again buy a Rolex watch. What a sick way to do business.

I am amazed that Rolex, lets their Official Dealers do stuff like this.
If OP had specifically mention that it's a Thailand AD, half of the replies would have been something else!
Old 24 November 2020, 02:00 AM   #104
imsayingthough
"TRF" Member

Sounds like you gave 30K worth of business to the wrong AD.
Old 24 November 2020, 03:09 AM   #105
Lamontsanders
"TRF" Member

Your AD can shove it. Move on.
Old 24 November 2020, 03:28 AM   #106
Oceanlover914
"TRF" Member

Watch: None at the moment
Quote:
Visited my local Rolex AD today, to ask about the new models and to be added to their waiting-list.

Having spent over 30.000 USD in their shop over the past 12 months, I thought it would at least be possible to get on their waiting-list.

This was when I was informed about their rules, when it can to any kind of popular sports watch. The rule was: You can only buy a sports model, if you also at the same time buy another un-popular Rolex watch.

I was kind of in chock hearing this and said I would simply not be extorted to buy something I did not want. Their response was pretty cold... "Well, then you will not be able to buy the watch you want here". I then asked if the other (un-popular) Rolex watches I previously had purchased could not count as an extra, but NO... It had to be purchased at the same time.

Honestly, is this really what Rolex has become? A company/brand extorting their customers like this? I don't think I will ever again buy a Rolex watch. What a sick way to do business.

I am amazed that Rolex, lets their Official Dealers do stuff like this.
The sad thing is it doesn't even seem like Rolex cares as long as their product gets out there. I know I would never do that. I would simply pay a small premium and go grey if I wanted a model that bad.
Old 24 November 2020, 03:43 AM   #107
ginster6
"TRF" Member

I have been finding that all Asia Rolex dealer AD. Requires you to buy POS to get sought after piece..

Where in the NA. They require you buy spend certain dollars buy or precious metals piece to get it sought after piece. No bundle.

Patek made me bundle now in the states.. But not Rolex.
Old 24 November 2020, 05:54 AM   #108
MrMercedes
"TRF" Member

Watch: too many!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkg1616 View Post
I’d go grey and forget them
Old 24 November 2020, 08:58 AM   #109
pathai
"TRF" Member

Quote:

In my home country (Denmark) it would be illegal for a seller to do this. If a seller puts a watch in his display window at a certain price and the buyer wants to buy it, then he must sell it at that price (and can not require other conditions).

Had it happened in Denmark, I would have called my lawyer and asked them to repeat their extortion rules to him, in which case they would have had a hard time sticking to their conditions and would have for sure folded.

As someone else mentioned, here in Thailand extortion is kind of a hobby and there is really no law, so they can do as they want.

Rolex Headquarters response to me has been:

However, we would like to inform you Rolex certainly does not encourage such practices you have communicated to us related to its products. Kindly be assured that your comments will be forwarded to the related Rolex Affiliate office in charge for their information.

I foresee a life time ban from the AD once they hear from Rolex Headquarters LOL!
Old 24 November 2020, 04:47 PM   #110
Halifax Daytona UK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I asked to get on the waiting-list for the GMT-Master II Root Beer.

ANY Sub- or GMT required extra Rolex (none-sport) purchase...LOL! So no waiting-list spot for me :-) At least I was offered a coffee, which I think was fair after spending USD 30k previously at their shop.
What did you spend 30k on ? Overpriced jewellery/ hard to sell watch ?

You should have gone grey
Old 24 November 2020, 05:43 PM   #111
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
I think extortion is an extreme choice of words but not surprised to hear this happening in Thailand. Someone also posted a sign on an AD in Taipei that had some conditions of purchase.
But it’s not just Asia, this happens everywhere and in most cases it’s just an unwritten rule.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 24 November 2020, 05:47 PM   #112
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
Applaud the AD for upfront honesty and saving you time, and send an email to Rolex at the same time.
Old 24 November 2020, 09:09 PM   #113
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
In my home country (Denmark) it would be illegal for a seller to do this. If a seller puts a watch in his display window at a certain price and the buyer wants to buy it, then he must sell it at that price (and can not require other conditions).

Had it happened in Denmark, I would have called my lawyer and asked them to repeat their extortion rules to him, in which case they would have had a hard time sticking to their conditions and would have for sure folded.

As someone else mentioned, here in Thailand extortion is kind of a hobby and there is really no law, so they can do as they want.

Rolex Headquarters response to me has been:

However, we would like to inform you Rolex certainly does not encourage such practices you have communicated to us related to its products. Kindly be assured that your comments will be forwarded to the related Rolex Affiliate office in charge for their information.

I foresee a life time ban from the AD once they hear from Rolex Headquarters LOL!
Im surprised the seller still can’t decide not to sell you it.

Here in the UK for example, if a watch is in the window with the wrong price for example, there is no obligation to sell at that price and the outlet can take it off sale/refuse the sale (although many do think wrongly that they’re entitled to buy at that price).

If a watch is in the window, the seller can say it’s just been sold/reserved and there is no obligation for them to complete the sale.

Even still, here it’s rare to see something in the window that’s not for sale, unless it has a “not for sale” or “exhibition only” sign
Old 24 November 2020, 10:09 PM   #114
rmlovett1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: YTBD
Seems like some AD’s do this and some don’t.
If I had an AD near me, and they JUST had a “waiting list” VS a bundling policy....no problem....then it’s just a matter of, do I want to be patient enough to wait months or years? Or do I want to enjoy the watch I want to buy right now?
If an AD were near me and they have a bundling policy, unless I was in the market for whatever I needed to bundle, why would I ?
As I’ve said before....I don’t have a lot of patience (unfortunately), and if I’m going to pay extra for something I don’t want, why wouldn’t I go grey and buy the new piece I want, and have it tomorrow?
I will not ever play the AD games, or wait years for a watch. I always factor in market price & value when searching for a new watch or trading one in.
Would I get on a list for a special piece, if knowing it was mine and the wait wasn’t too long?...sure, but shopping tons of AD’s, waiting months/years, being treated as if I’m being done a favor to hand someone $10-$50k....
Old 25 November 2020, 01:45 AM   #115
blada4life
"TRF" Member

sadly, the 'waiting list' game at ADs is 90% not real. in this market, you will not get a call most of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richris1 View Post
Seems like some AD’s do this and some don’t.
If I had an AD near me, and they JUST had a “waiting list” VS a bundling policy....no problem....then it’s just a matter of, do I want to be patient enough to wait months or years? Or do I want to enjoy the watch I want to buy right now?
If an AD were near me and they have a bundling policy, unless I was in the market for whatever I needed to bundle, why would I ?
As I’ve said before....I don’t have a lot of patience (unfortunately), and if I’m going to pay extra for something I don’t want, why wouldn’t I go grey and buy the new piece I want, and have it tomorrow?
I will not ever play the AD games, or wait years for a watch. I always factor in market price & value when searching for a new watch or trading one in.
Would I get on a list for a special piece, if knowing it was mine and the wait wasn’t too long?...sure, but shopping tons of AD’s, waiting months/years, being treated as if I’m being done a favor to hand someone $10-$50k....
Old 25 November 2020, 02:11 AM   #116
nucleon
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126660B JC DeepSea
It's not "extortion" per se, but it is a nasty business practice. Would you like to know why it happens? Easy. Because many of us are quite willing to grovel to the AD's who do this to us. If we could all agree to walk away from any AD who tries to pull this garbage, I guarantee it would stop.

I'm not holding my breath.
Old 25 November 2020, 02:32 AM   #117
*M5
"TRF" Member

I would MUCH rather be told what the deal is upfront.

Cannot speak for the rest of the world but in Canada I have been in contact with multiple ADs, some of which I have prior purchase history with and the only comments I get are 'we haven't received anything' , ' we haven't seen a sports model in 8 months', 'we don't know if we will ever get another GMT' ..........

Just as an example, I am also chasing a Rootbeer, price with tax here is 20K. Grey market price 30K. I really wouldn't mind buying a Datejust or any watch that I could gift to a family member and getting TWO watches for 30K instead of just going grey......
Old 25 November 2020, 02:34 AM   #118
VonSomething
"TRF" Member

I don't think it has anything to do with extortion, not even nasty business practices, it's just taking advantage of how the market currently is.

When push comes to shove, AD's a running a business and if they can generate more sales for themselves this way, they'll do it. Sure, they will upset a lot of people that can't buy the watch they want and it's a poor short-term vision to have. At the end of the day we'll just have to wait and see how and if it will bite them in the *** a few years down the line.

One thing is for sure: they will and have definitely lost a lot of customers with these games. Customers that otherwise could have spent a lot of future money with them.

Let me just add that it's not solely the AD's fault: They only get limited stock from Rolex and it's up to their discretion who gets what from their customers.

AD's SA's etc. are only people, some (many) might lack the proper people + business skills how to go about selecting and or turning down customers. I certainly have witnessed my fair share of wrong dealings from SA's.
Old 25 November 2020, 02:37 AM   #119
VonSomething
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by *M5 View Post
I would MUCH rather be told what the deal is upfront.

Just as an example, I am also chasing a Rootbeer, price with tax here is 20K. Grey market price 30K. I really wouldn't mind buying a Datejust or any watch that I could gift to a family member and getting TWO watches for 30K instead of just going grey......
I completely agree.
Old 25 November 2020, 03:20 AM   #120
nucleon
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126660B JC DeepSea
I've read numerous threads about AD's insisting on the purchase of this, that, and the other thing before one can even get on the LIST to buy the watch that is truly desired. This is said to be a simple function of Capitalism and the Free Market.

No doubt my revelation has been discussed dozens of times before, but if so, here it is again...

Part of the problem is the fact that Rolex limits the AD's to selling at the MSRP. That removes the "free market" from the equation. Clearly, AT THIS POINT IN TIME, the suggested prices are too low, and this drives both the gray market and the rather unsavory AD practices.

IF Rolex would allow the AD's to let the free market work, things would equilibrate after a relatively short time.

Just my humble opinion.
Closed Thread