The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 November 2020, 07:39 PM   #61
abozz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660, 126600
I have seen Chinese or Swiss watches with an ETA machine without even decorating showing their ugliness with a sapphire, Rolex is a serious brand, they would never do such thing, they know his movements are not haute horology and they respect that fact, they are luxury sports watches with realiable calibres.

Enviado desde mi SM-G975F mediante Tapatalk
abozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2020, 09:50 PM   #62
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
The simple reason is because they don't need to. They sell every watch they make. Why spend the extra money to dress up the movement and put on a crystal back when they can just slap a dull hunk of metal on the back and thousands of people will line up to give them their money.
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2020, 09:57 PM   #63
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by bp1000 View Post
Because they would have to put some effort into the finishing which would just elevate the price.

When you want to be on the same level of prestige as
Patek, ALS and Vacheron they either need to up their finishing game or just put a blanket over it.

Plus everything is automatic

This!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2020, 12:07 AM   #64
OJONES
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChugachEagle View Post
You guys are hilarious. Anyone suggests something new for Rolex and folks come out of the woodwork to defend why Rolex won’t or shouldn’t lower themselves by daring to display a nicely finished mechanism as most other luxury Swiss brands are doing. But again, I am personally certain that most of you who say you’re glad they don’t go there would have your names on every list within 250 miles the very second a display case is ever announced. LOL

Display case Cellini and maybe a Milgauss for me please.

Fun to dream.
Well, as I said, you buy a case back Cellini right now. Certainly won’t break the bank either.
OJONES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2020, 12:27 AM   #65
mussi
"TRF" Member

it's because there's nothing special inside
mussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2020, 12:46 AM   #66
Stan Cooper
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-Master II
What's inside is a solid, honest, reliable, and highly accurate mechanism devoid of lipstick and makeup. It is worthy of being seen.
♛16710 GMT-Master II, ♛1915 Rolex WW1 Trench Watch, Zelos Thresher 500m GMT Meteorite, Zelos Swordfish 40 200m Ti Blood Moon Meteorite, Hamilton Pilot Chronograph, Ball Roadmaster Pilot GMT COSC Chronometer, Zelos Mako 300M True GMT Meteorite
It's weird being the same age as old people.

- Stan
Stan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2020, 02:05 AM   #67
borispolk
"TRF" Member

If someone fancy going for transparent caseback I think there are some aftermarket options one can go for. Also I wouldn't say Rolex movements are particularly nice, compared to some other manufacturers who put just as much emphasis on the look as functionality. I would guess Rolex is putting a lot in functionality and minimal how it looks.
borispolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2020, 02:26 AM   #68
BobbyKeetaNow
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Cooper View Post
What's inside is a solid, honest, reliable, and highly accurate mechanism devoid of lipstick and makeup. It is worthy of being seen.
Right? At the end of the day, Rolexes are world-class mechanical watches: as tools for timekeeping they are imperfect. As examples of ingenuity and engineering to make something hand-assembled, with no battery, tell the time with greater than 99.998% accuracy? (-2/+2 seconds per day) It's extraordinary. Even if a 3235 isn't as insanely intricate as a Patek repeater, etc., doesn't mean it's not worth appreciating through a sapphire caseback.

(Though in any scenario, if Rolex launched a Submariner with a transparent caseback at 20% premium over the base model, I shudder to think what it would trade for aftermarket. )
BobbyKeetaNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2020, 03:20 AM   #69
Fred48
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpit View Post
Sorry to break it to you, but Rolex are no longer “tool watches”. Fantastic yes, but tools no. Certainly not judging by the amount of babying that goes on with most owners judging by many threads I read here.
Agree; and, I personally think the idea of a $10,000 tool watch is pretty crazy. I for one would certainly be thinking twice about actually diving with a new submariner for fear of loss, even if insured, as it would be so hard to acquire a replacement.

Now Tudor, that's a different story.
Fred48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2020, 03:24 AM   #70
jlovda
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513,1675,216570
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChugachEagle View Post
Display case Cellini and maybe a Milgauss for me please.

Fun to dream.
Of all the watches to pick, it would never happen on a Milgauss. The entire movement has to be inside a metal Faraday cage.
jlovda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2020, 03:54 AM   #71
ChugachEagle
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlovda View Post
Of all the watches to pick, it would never happen on a Milgauss. The entire movement has to be inside a metal Faraday cage.

True

I just like the Milgauss. But very true.
ChugachEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2020, 04:00 AM   #72
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyKeetaNow View Post
It’s 2020: yes, SS is of course popular, but a transparent case back _offer_ is industry standard across most if not all other high-end manufacturers. Why doesn’t Rolex at least _offer_ transparent casebacks across _some_ of its models? Wouldn’t it be a great way to stir even further appreciation of Rolex craftsmanship?
Because rolex is form over function. I could see them maybe doing it on the Celini but even then, idk.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2020, 04:00 AM   #73
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
Quote:
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2020, 04:05 AM   #74
Dabbadon8
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred48 View Post
Agree; and, I personally think the idea of a $10,000 tool watch is pretty crazy. I for one would certainly be thinking twice about actually diving with a new submariner for fear of loss, even if insured, as it would be so hard to acquire a replacement.

Now Tudor, that's a different story.
I have my new sub insured for market, not msrp, for that reason. Bought from AD. Not that I’m actively diving with it though.
Dabbadon8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2020, 04:16 AM   #75
TheGuvna
"TRF" Member

Watch: GS/Omega
I have three watches with an open case back and I bought none of them for that feature specifically.

I do like to have a peek at the movement sometimes (with my speedy magnifier), and I also enjoy the YT videos of the watch repair/recovery.
Old 24 November 2020, 04:19 AM   #76
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
Quote:
Originally Posted by abozz View Post
I have seen Chinese or Swiss watches with an ETA machine without even decorating showing their ugliness with a sapphire, Rolex is a serious brand, they would never do such thing, they know his movements are not haute horology and they respect that fact, they are luxury sports watches with realiable calibres.
x2 The amount of lower end watches on the market proudly showing their ETA machine or Seiko NH 35 with custom rotor. How nasty. Even with some decoration is just awful. Obviously Rolex is several cuts above but similarly the movements themselves are just not designed to be decorative. They're strictly for a watchmaker's appreciation of their utility. Thank you Rolex for not doing this.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2020, 05:02 AM   #77
ChugachEagle
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by breitlings View Post

Yes. Hilarious. I didn’t think that one thru.
ChugachEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2020, 07:23 AM   #78
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
I have an Omega with a clear caseback. It is really cool. Love it.

I still prefer my Rolex over my Omega though.

Ironically, I wouldn't buy an Omega or other brands unless it has a clear caseback.

However, when it comes to Rolex, it just doesn't matter.
Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2020, 08:52 AM   #79
ROLEXROLEXROLEXRO
"TRF" Member

Because it's uncomfortable-- there is a difference between having brushed metal on your wrist versus a crystal, the latter doesn't breathe and sticks to the skin!
ROLEXROLEXROLEXRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2020, 09:11 AM   #80
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLEXROLEXROLEXRO View Post
Because it's uncomfortable-- there is a difference between having brushed metal on your wrist versus a crystal, the latter doesn't breathe and sticks to the skin!
I have both clear back cases and steel back cases.

Never noticed any difference.
Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2020, 09:19 AM   #81
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
First off, in a sports watch I find the idea ridiculous. Crystal breaks easily, as we all know. Why would I want crystal to sit permanently against my wrist in a sports watch? Also, if I happen to drop the watch, the crystal won't offer much protection to the movement. I know some brands are getting fancy with their sports models, I'm just not a fan of that particular attribute, despite owning one of the latest Speedy models. If I could buy it without the see-through caseback, I would. It would even make the watch thinner. I see only benefits to a solid caseback in a sports model.

When it comes to dress watches I have absolutely no interest in hand finish on a movement and thus still don't care for a display caseback. I just don't value the fine art of finishing that goes into high horology movements. If Rolex were to offer that level of finishing and jump up the price to trinity levels as a result, that would be the end of buying new models for me, I would just focus on the older stuff.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2020, 12:11 PM   #82
blue lion
"TRF" Member

Watch: It's just a watch.
I would be glad to have one on at least one of my watches
blue lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2020, 12:17 PM   #83
Pongster
"TRF" Member

Display caseback is standard in high end watches indeed. But Rolex is not high end.
Pongster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2020, 12:23 PM   #84
JoseR
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air King, Omega AT
Quote:

and the Air King since it's the same watch except for the dial, hands, and the brushed links.
JoseR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2020, 12:25 PM   #85
DudePerfect
Banned

Watch: amacallit!
To save that feature for bougie fashion watch brands.
DudePerfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2020, 12:46 PM   #86
Stan Cooper
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-Master II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash View Post
I have both clear back cases and steel back cases.

Never noticed any difference.
I agree. My Zenith El Primero Chronograph has a clear caseback and it feels no different than the stainless steel caseback on my Rolex.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Zenith El Primero Chronomaster 01.0240.410 med.jpg (141.1 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG4609 med.jpg (147.3 KB, 89 views)
♛16710 GMT-Master II, ♛1915 Rolex WW1 Trench Watch, Zelos Thresher 500m GMT Meteorite, Zelos Swordfish 40 200m Ti Blood Moon Meteorite, Hamilton Pilot Chronograph, Ball Roadmaster Pilot GMT COSC Chronometer, Zelos Mako 300M True GMT Meteorite
It's weird being the same age as old people.

- Stan
Stan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2020, 02:14 PM   #87
G.Montag
Banned

I personally do not like glass case backs. Given the choice, I would always take steel over glass, no matter if it’s Rolex or some other watch.
G.Montag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2020, 02:27 PM   #88
CedCraig
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overwound View Post
Rolex values lack of transparency so much that an extra sapphire crystal would be too much.
Wonderful turn of a phrase. And they would have to order extra crystals from their third-party crystal supplier ;-).

Their movements have never been attractive and a sapphire caseback would accentuate that fact. People might then ask “Why does the Rolex movement look so plain compared to the movement from [insert your favorite top brand]?”

I like sapphire casebacks. I have a loupe and I do look at the movements now and then on my GS and Stowa. However, I’ve never noticed any difference whatsoever in the feel on-wrist, compared to my SS caseback watches. A SS caseback “breathing” better than a crystal caseback? Hmm, I’m skeptical.

As to crystal casebacks breaking, I’m sure that somewhere in the world at one time in the last, say, 50 years, somebody broke a sapphire caseback. But it’s not something I’m concerned about at all.
CedCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2020, 04:38 PM   #89
Pete26
Banned

Why doesn’t Rolex offer transparent casebacks?

It’s because the classic Rolex oyster case back is part of the DNA of well a Rolex Oyster.

Part of what makes a Rolex waterproof is this fact, they make their watches practical hence the Oyster case and the twin lock and trip lock crowns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pete26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2020, 06:05 PM   #90
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
Unless the backside is a piece of art, I’ve no interest in seeing the movement for the sake of it. Most case backs disappoint, including those from HH names. 99% of the watch buying public has no clue what they’re looking at.