The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 20 November 2020, 07:39 AM   #61
golfinz
"TRF" Member

Shit is about to get REAL in here!
golfinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2020, 02:59 PM   #62
StackLexus17
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Always curious of age and profession when I see a collection like this...
StackLexus17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2020, 12:19 AM   #63
beefeater21
"TRF" Member

What a beautiful collection! Subscribed and can't wait to see what comes next!
beefeater21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2020, 11:54 PM   #64
vandyologist
2024 Pledge Member

State of the collection (updated family pic)

Collection complete?
vandyologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2020, 11:57 PM   #65
RJG
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
This is a stunning collection. Very, very cool to see.
RJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2020, 01:35 AM   #66
GolfJunkie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 252
Amazing collection!!!
Old 6 December 2020, 02:26 AM   #67
jed11
"TRF" Member

Looks pretty complete to me!!! Though I know that's never really the case...awesome collection there.
jed11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2020, 02:42 AM   #68
BigAppleBill
"TRF" Member

So impressive to see an entire collection of exit watches! No more Gronefeld though. That must have been a difficult goodbye. What three pieces would be next on the horizon for you? What three would you trade away?
BigAppleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2020, 08:17 AM   #69
vandyologist
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAppleBill View Post
So impressive to see an entire collection of exit watches! No more Gronefeld though. That must have been a difficult goodbye. What three pieces would be next on the horizon for you? What three would you trade away?

Tough questions:
If I had to move a couple they’d be the 5167 and 5524 because those both sort of get covered by the 5164a. All are staying for now though.

I think something similar to the Grönefeld (ie an interesting time-only watch) is a good bet to be added. I’m eyeing a Journe Optimum. I’m also always asking my Patek AD for something and a 5726/1a or (less likely) a 5740 would look great!
Old 6 December 2020, 08:51 AM   #70
denmanproject
"TRF" Member

Well that escalated quickly!

Very nice group, especially the salmon dial beauty
denmanproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2020, 09:43 AM   #71
sambb
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandyologist View Post

Collection complete?
Looks great. Nice pateks and addition of the salmon dial is great.
Glad you got rid of the BLNR, and always always always keep a sub!

A few thoughts:
1. Get a "classic" lange - Lange 1? Saxonia copper blue??!!!
2. Get a classic wearbale piece - like an IWC Mark 18, or OP 41 in a fun color. I dont consider these beaters, just a watch to wear outside of high end pieces.
3. Your 5320 is the most amazing - beautiful.. So darn pretty. Wow can i have it? Wow. Wow. Wow
4. LOVE the salmon dial. Different level.
5. G shock needs to be added! It adds balance!
6. Consider some new straps - like a cool color everest or rubber B in a fun color
7. Why not add a something vintage - vintage Pepsi... or if you dress up... vintage ellipse patek
8. Consider a seiko because its different and balances your high end pateks. Snowflake?
9. Add something fun - breguet tradition? Skeleton AP?
10. Insure collection, and keep it safe.

Tell us more - do you keep them all wound? Do you let them go out? how do you rotate them?

It is a stunning collection, that is just beyond words. Needs some lower priced pieces for balance. But this is stunning. Just stunning.
sambb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2020, 11:03 AM   #72
BigAppleBill
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Tough questions:
If I had to move a couple they’d be the 5167 and 5524 because those both sort of get covered by the 5164a.
That totally makes sense.

Quote:
I think something similar to the Grönefeld (ie an interesting time-only watch) is a good bet to be added. I’m eyeing a Journe Optimum. I’m also always asking my Patek AD for something and a 5726/1a or (less likely) a 5740 would look great!
The FPJ Optimum with its remontoire would more than replace the Gronefeld. I would do the same if I had the stones to drop $100K+ on an FPJ, but then I would have to go all the way with the black label edition. The 5726 is pretty awesome, and you could argue that it would allow you to consider moving the 5711 (and maybe even the 5320) out and free up funds to cover the Optimum and maybe something else.

With such a stellar collection you could stop tomorrow. But it’s a WIS’s nature and passion to keep trying to perfect the collection. Thanks for sharing your journey! It’s a treat to see your updates!
BigAppleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2020, 11:29 AM   #73
slawa
"TRF" Member

wonderful collection Sir, congrats .
slawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2020, 09:50 PM   #74
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Watch: What I am wearing.
Quote:

The FPJ Optimum with its remontoire would more than replace the Gronefeld. I would do the same if I had the stones to drop $100K+ on an FPJ, but then I would have to go all the way with the black label edition. The 5726 is pretty awesome, and you could argue that it would allow you to consider moving the 5711 (and maybe even the 5320) out and free up funds to cover the Optimum and maybe something else.

With such a stellar collection you could stop tomorrow. But it’s a WIS’s nature and passion to keep trying to perfect the collection. Thanks for sharing your journey! It’s a treat to see your updates!
I decided to do the black dial with a different model, but went for the Optimum in salmon (which is extremely rare and unique). Pics next year, when they finally come in. It seems like I've been waiting forever already!
Swaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2020, 11:59 PM   #75
vandyologist
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambb View Post
Looks great. Nice pateks and addition of the salmon dial is great.
Glad you got rid of the BLNR, and always always always keep a sub!

A few thoughts:
1. Get a "classic" lange - Lange 1? Saxonia copper blue??!!!
2. Get a classic wearbale piece - like an IWC Mark 18, or OP 41 in a fun color. I dont consider these beaters, just a watch to wear outside of high end pieces.
3. Your 5320 is the most amazing - beautiful.. So darn pretty. Wow can i have it? Wow. Wow. Wow
4. LOVE the salmon dial. Different level.
5. G shock needs to be added! It adds balance!
6. Consider some new straps - like a cool color everest or rubber B in a fun color
7. Why not add a something vintage - vintage Pepsi... or if you dress up... vintage ellipse patek
8. Consider a seiko because its different and balances your high end pateks. Snowflake?
9. Add something fun - breguet tradition? Skeleton AP?
10. Insure collection, and keep it safe.

Tell us more - do you keep them all wound? Do you let them go out? how do you rotate them?

It is a stunning collection, that is just beyond words. Needs some lower priced pieces for balance. But this is stunning. Just stunning.

1) I owned the 1815 chronograph for a bit but it didn’t last. I like the boutique edition but doubt that it would get worn enough
2) I don’t mind wearing my watches. 5711 is getting a bit beaten up because it gets worn the most and the aquanauts and submariners are so versatile and don’t wear like other high
3) Agree. I love this one so much. I’ve had some feedback that I wouldn’t want to keep it after the 5270 but I do! The size is perfect and I just love the aesthetics of it. It’s also a strap monster! I have a few colors for this one.
4) Yes, that was a big jump for me, but no regrets. It looks and FEELS like a different level timepiece
5) I wear my Garmin for G-shock situations
6) I have a bunch of straps for the Journe and a couple for the 5320, 5524 and 5270. I like this set though - the suede gray on the CS, dark gray on the 5320, casual brown calf on the 5524 (blue calf on order), and matte brown croc on the 5270.
7) I’d pull the trigger on the right birth year 1655 or 5513
8) Never been interested in Seiko and I’ve owned a bunch of brands
9) I love the skeleton AP, but have no relationship or route to get one. I’ve managed to get all of these from ADs and don’t want to pay a big gray market premium. Would the Journe Optimum count as something fun if I ever add that?
10) Definitely insured

I wear them on a pretty regular rotation (strap watches Monday, Tuesday, Friday, bracelet/rubber watches Wednesday, Thursday, weekends) and never go more than 2 weeks without wearing one of them. Sometimes I’ll change midday. I take them out on weekend mornings and wind and set them and whisper sweet nothings to them.
Old 7 December 2020, 12:01 AM   #76
vandyologist
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

I’ve asked the boutique about the black label CO, but I haven’t bought enough there for my ask to carry much weight. I think it might happen in 2022.

I’d never consider moving the 5711. It’s so perfect and the 5726 wears quite a bit thicker.

The collection is a bit big for my taste right now and I am definitely always trying to perfect it. You might see some consolidation in the next few months but it’s time for a short rest to reflect and consider the optimal moves!
Old 7 December 2020, 12:30 AM   #77
JerBear
"TRF" Member

Fantastic collection!

It may have been asked but have you ever had an interest in Daytona’s (either new or vintage)?

I’m glad to hear the 5711 gets the most wrist time as that’s a watch I’m hoping to get in the next 1-2 years
JerBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2020, 01:06 AM   #78
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I’ve asked the boutique about the black label CO, but I haven’t bought enough there for my ask to carry much weight. I think it might happen in 2022.

I’d never consider moving the 5711. It’s so perfect and the 5726 wears quite a bit thicker.

The collection is a bit big for my taste right now and I am definitely always trying to perfect it. You might see some consolidation in the next few months but it’s time for a short rest to reflect and consider the optimal moves!
Anything Black Label is so damn hard to get now. I did get offered a Boutique CS (RG black dial) CS recently but politely declined. I have a Black Label Lune that's supposed to be coming next year, and I have lightly inquired about a BL Resonance. That one will be a super hard pull and a many years wait I think.
Old 7 December 2020, 02:25 AM   #79
RoscoPico
"TRF" Member

Watch: ingMe,WatchingYou.
Quote:
1)

I wear them on a pretty regular rotation (strap watches Monday, Tuesday, Friday, bracelet/rubber watches Wednesday, Thursday, weekends) and never go more than 2 weeks without wearing one of them. Sometimes I’ll change midday. I take them out on weekend mornings and wind and set them and whisper sweet nothings to them.
haha love it !! don't forget me in your will
RoscoPico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2020, 09:42 AM   #80
shafran
"TRF" Member

Beautiful collection. I had the journe optimum. Amazing watch, but not a fun watch.
shafran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2020, 01:19 PM   #81
ILuvSubs
"TRF" Member

Thanks for sharing the journey with us! As others had said, a fantastic collection with a nice mix of sports and dress watches. I'm subscribed to see how your collection changes over time.

This thread reminds me a lot of Subtona's "Evolution of a Watch Collection", which I'm also subscribed to too. I find it fascinating to see how his collection evolves over time within his self-imposed 5 watch limit.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=438451
Old 7 December 2020, 01:30 PM   #82
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
Quote:
Originally Posted by shafran View Post
Beautiful collection. I had the journe optimum. Amazing watch, but not a fun watch.

Curious what you mean by not a fun watch. Why? And what in your mind is a fun watch?
Old 7 December 2020, 08:33 PM   #83
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvSubs View Post
Thanks for sharing the journey with us! As others had said, a fantastic collection with a nice mix of sports and dress watches. I'm subscribed to see how your collection changes over time.

This thread reminds me a lot of Subtona's "Evolution of a Watch Collection", which I'm also subscribed to too. I find it fascinating to see how his collection evolves over time within his self-imposed 5 watch limit.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=438451
I too love these threads. I keep thinking of starting one myself but I am not sure there are enough "moves" left in the near term to make it valuable.
Old 7 December 2020, 09:46 PM   #84
DGB
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Collection complete?

Gosh, this is a nice collection.

Great choice, congrats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2020, 01:40 AM   #85
Watchflair
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500 116518LN
Quote:

Collection complete?
Absolutely incredible collection - well done
Old 8 December 2020, 03:35 AM   #86
shafran
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2la View Post
Curious what you mean by not a fun watch. Why? And what in your mind is a fun watch?
I think q chrono would be more fun. I wear my gold journe rattrapante more for fun. I think the resonance is way cooler than the optimum. I also ground it didn't keep as good time as some of my others. The optimum is very understated and a time only watch.
shafran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2020, 09:26 PM   #87
JP_2015
"TRF" Member

Was going to say awesome collection and then I saw the update.. even more awesome now ;-)
JP_2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2021, 12:39 AM   #88
Benzsiam
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/PP/ALS
Unbelievable collection!

Happy New Year to all!
Rolex: 116621, 126333, 126711CHNR, 114060, 116500LN White, 126660 JC, 126710BLNR, 126710BLRO, 116610LV, 126610LN, 126610LV, 116508 YG Green Dial, 124300 Turquoise, 126719BLRO Meteorite dial, 228235 Olive dial ,126755SARU, 116505 RG Black dial, 326934 Blue Sky D.
Audemars Piguet: 15451ST Blue, 15500OR w/Bracelet, 14790SA, 14790BA, 26022BC(Salmon) Patek Philippe: 5524R, 5712G, ALS: Time Zone 136.032, Cartier: WGSA0030, WSSA0061, YG Oct. 2965, Seiko: SRPA21, MontBlanc: 109996"
Benzsiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2021, 12:45 AM   #89
JohnGingerwood
2024 Pledge Member

Nice. I like how it is not overwhelmed by Rolex. Overwhelmed by PP is not a bad thing :)
JohnGingerwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2021, 04:18 AM   #90
illiguy
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Collection complete?
Your collection is stunning and I congratulate you on both your taste and passion.

If I were in your ownership position (which I never will be), I’d contemplate whether to add the following:

1) Royal Oak Jumbo*
2) ALS Datograph U/D (Mr. Dufour states it’s the best chronograph in the world and the Germans are killing the Swiss in that complication)*
3) Rolex DaytonaC (white dial)*
4) H Moser & Cie Streamliner Center Seconds

*Vintage equivalent or, in the case of ALS, a special Lange 1 (e.g., Honey Gold or SS).

Would consider moving one of your two PP Aquanauts.

These are just ideas and in no way a referendum on your magical collection.
illiguy is offline   Reply With Quote