The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 23 November 2020, 05:02 PM   #61
TankTom
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattfa999 View Post
Let's get real..the poster who started this thread should be banned by the moderators..poster doing nothing but trolling the masses...bunch of h****s***....
39 posts and he wants me banned for having a different opinion to him.
Old 23 November 2020, 08:30 PM   #62
DerekClark
"TRF" Member

No man it is really difficult to find the model i liked. Once i liked to buy vintage model my friend had i searched a lot to find the same model but didn't have much so i bought another one :-(
Old 23 November 2020, 09:19 PM   #63
Luke@TRF
"TRF" Member

can't tell if its an enjoyable chase experience or just Stockholm syndrome.
Old 23 November 2020, 09:45 PM   #64
mattfa999
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankTom View Post
39 posts and he wants me banned for having a different opinion to him.
It's not how much you say or how much you post, it's what is contained or communicated in said posts. Quality over quantity even applies to posts on a internet forum devoted to rolex watches and the people who enjoy them. I'll continue to argue your original post was nonsense and an attempt to drum up controversy. In what world is what you described preferable to walking into an AD and paying MSRP or less for a desirable watch. I'm taking a leap here but I'm guessing your to new to this pastime to have every had the enjoyment of purchasing a watch in that manner.
Old 23 November 2020, 10:02 PM   #65
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Am I the only one who kind of likes the fact that most rolex models are difficult to obtain at RRP?

Surely if all of our favourite models were able to be purchased right away and by anyone, we would be less interested in acquiring them in the first place?

Gotta love the chase I say!

Well you are not the only one, but in my case don’t base my purchases on what others want, so my interest for a given watch is not based on the fact it is hard to obtain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
Old 23 November 2020, 10:51 PM   #66
TankTom
Banned

Quote:
It's not how much you say or how much you post, it's what is contained or communicated in said posts. Quality over quantity even applies to posts on a internet forum devoted to rolex watches and the people who enjoy them. I'll continue to argue your original post was nonsense and an attempt to drum up controversy. In what world is what you described preferable to walking into an AD and paying MSRP or less for a desirable watch. I'm taking a leap here but I'm guessing your to new to this pastime to have every had the enjoyment of purchasing a watch in that manner.
You’re leap is an incorrect one my friend. I’ll take a leap and assume that you are unable to get the watches you want at RRP which is why you’re rather bitter about my opinion?
Old 23 November 2020, 11:05 PM   #67
mattfa999
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You’re leap is an incorrect one my friend. I’ll take a leap and assume that you are unable to get the watches you want at RRP which is why you’re rather bitter about my opinion?
A 61 year old man who has survived open heart surgery with a triple bypass and new aortic valve and then less than 2 years later a 2 week bout with Covid-19 and 103 degree fever really doesn't get bitter about much. To be honest I'm just thrilled to be able to wake up everyday and have the 4 watches I've bought over the last 30 years to choose from.
Old 23 November 2020, 11:49 PM   #68
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

My interest isn’t driven by whether a model is easy or hard to obtain. If I like it I buy it, ideally there and then when it suits me. Being hard to get doesn’t make me want something more, in fact it can have the opposite affect.

It’s obvious there are different buyers now though that are buying because something is hard to get. If supply increases or demand drops, it’s those people that will move on to the next “hard to get” thing.
Old 24 November 2020, 03:26 AM   #69
TankTom
Banned

Quote:
A 61 year old man who has survived open heart surgery with a triple bypass and new aortic valve and then less than 2 years later a 2 week bout with Covid-19 and 103 degree fever really doesn't get bitter about much. To be honest I'm just thrilled to be able to wake up everyday and have the 4 watches I've bought over the last 30 years to choose from.
You’re 30 years older than me - that may explain our difference of opinion.
Old 24 November 2020, 03:29 AM   #70
C0d
Banned

Watch: Dog
Quote:
Damn dude. I hope you continue to feel better. We are all going to go someday, its nice to be able life to the fullest while we are around.

Stay blessed.
Old 24 November 2020, 08:58 AM   #71
mactruck
"TRF" Member

I want Rolexes to be easily available. That way i don’t have to worry about replacing one of i break it or lose it and i don’t have to worry about it getting stolen.

If you like the fact Rolexes are impossible to get then you don’t love watches.
Old 24 November 2020, 10:57 AM   #72
teck21
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by mactruck View Post
If you like the fact Rolexes are impossible to get then you don’t love watches.
Why should one have to love watches to desire a Rolex?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 24 November 2020, 11:02 AM   #73
faz
"TRF" Member

Watch: like'em all
Quote:
Originally Posted by southcarolina1801 View Post
Was at an AD yesterday picking up my Grand Seiko and they have literally 50% of the store dedicated to Rolex display cases as well as a private viewing room and everything was nearly empty! The only Rolex’s on display were a few tiny ladies watches and a solid gold Skydweller.

I’m honestly wondering how long AD’s will be okay with giving up so much floor space to a product they can’t sell to walk in clients. Of course they are selling every Rolex that comes in their back door but why even bother with display cases at this point?
How many GS are they selling, and at what profit margin?

Imagine being an AD and having a product that is sold even before hitting your showroom showcase. The empty showcase wouldn't doesn't bother you that much anymore.

Instagram @fazmoto
Old 24 November 2020, 11:09 AM   #74
faz
"TRF" Member

Watch: like'em all
Quote:
Am I the only one who kind of likes the fact that most rolex models are difficult to obtain at RRP?

Surely if all of our favourite models were able to be purchased right away and by anyone, we would be less interested in acquiring them in the first place?

You mean you enjoy the fact that unlike Omega, Rolex is managing the supply in a way that keeps your watch value and desirability high and for a longer period of time?

Instagram @fazmoto
Old 24 November 2020, 12:01 PM   #75
teck21
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by faz View Post
You mean you enjoy the fact that unlike Omega, Rolex is managing the supply in a way that keeps your watch value and desirability high and for a longer period of time?

That’s a terrible way to enjoy a watch.

According to many in this forum those are neither the correct not acceptable ways to enjoy a watch!

Old 24 November 2020, 01:42 PM   #76
Mick006
"TRF" Member

The current state of things is excessive. I appreciate that the value of my watches are high, but indefinite wait times and the games are frustrating. I can appreciate the value in having a hard to get watch tomorrow, so I think the greys are valuable also. I would be fine if my AD gave me a finite and realistic wait time for a watch, but that isn’t the case. They claim they put everything in the display and have no list.

Like someone else said, it’s got to be really frustrating for someone who doesn’t yet have a Rolex and really wants one.
Old 24 November 2020, 01:51 PM   #77
RJG
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Yes, TankTom you are the only one.
Old 24 November 2020, 02:03 PM   #78
teck21
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick006 View Post

Like someone else said, it’s got to be really frustrating for someone who doesn’t yet have a Rolex and really wants one.
There are plenty of Rolex watches to choose from that are readily available if they want a Rolex.

But no, it has to be a sub or GMT or something.

It’s a really stupid thing to get frustrated over. First world problems of the worst kind.

Old 24 November 2020, 02:05 PM   #79
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
I don’t know if you’re the only one, but I do NOT enjoy it. I would like the ability to walk in to an AD and have the option of paying MSRP for a watch I desire. If they don’t have it in the case, then be able to order it and expect it within a couple weeks.

Call me Crazy
Old 24 November 2020, 02:07 PM   #80
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
And we are thrilled with you!
Old 24 November 2020, 02:51 PM   #81
LDN
"TRF" Member

Hell no but each its own!
Old 24 November 2020, 03:01 PM   #82
Nurseford25
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega’s/Sub
It doesn't bother me but what does bother me is the games played by the AD's. It's fine that the watches are hard to get but having to bundle or buy unwanted watches to get the one you want is frustrating. If a small number of watches were put out in the cases for fair game the thrill of the hunt would still be there and some would get lucky and snag one and some people would have to hunt a little harder. I like the luck of the draw approach rather than who spends the most wins approach.
Old 24 November 2020, 03:03 PM   #83
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
Quote:

So, you'd argue Rolex was, until 4 or 5 years ago, a terrible brand with zero cachet- because they were easy to get ?
How ever did Rolex survive before the 'Grams ?
Old 24 November 2020, 03:11 PM   #84
teck21
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurseford25 View Post
If a small number of watches were put out in the cases for fair game the thrill of the hunt would still be there and some would get lucky and snag one and some people would have to hunt a little harder. I like the luck of the draw approach rather than who spends the most wins approach.
Why should luck be used as a method of distribution for a luxury good in a capitalist environment?

Old 24 November 2020, 04:23 PM   #85
mrockperez
"TRF" Member

Watch: out!
You’re definitely not the only one but I don’t think it should be the thrill of the chase that motivates you towards a piece. You should love and want the piece even if you could walk in and buy it. I know I’d love a Pepsi just as much if i could walk in and see 10 of them in the case.
Old 24 November 2020, 04:26 PM   #86
Singslinger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimps View Post
I enjoy the thrill of the chase , I've bought a lot more watches since the hype started
Have to say that it's the same with me.

The OP is spot on - the thrill of the chase - or wait in my case since I get all my watches from an AD - adds to the excitement.
Old 24 November 2020, 06:02 PM   #87
TankTom
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJG View Post
Yes, TankTom you are the only one.
You’re clearly too busy to read the replies. Isn’t it funny how my post was just a general comment asking if I’m the only one who thinks that way. Go through some of the replies on here and ask yourself whether people get way too angry for no good reason. It typically tends to be the older members (both in age and time on this forum) which is interesting.
Old 24 November 2020, 06:04 PM   #88
TankTom
Banned

Also - there was a recent post about grail watches earlier and so many people said jubilee BLRO. The next most talked about watch on this forum is the steel Daytona or hulk. I wonder if these people claiming not to buy into the hype are the same people who have a Pepsi or Daytona as their grail? Just a thought
Old 24 November 2020, 06:56 PM   #89
jamesbondOO7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex or nothing
It is a fantastic situation for everybody.
- AD makes more money by expecting clients to graduate up the waiting list by spending more
- Rolex manages to sell the slow-selling models, which helps manufacturing and width of product range
- Secondhand market stays very strong, which keeps Rolex buyers motivated to buy and to pay high prices.

DO NOT CHANGE A SYSTEM THAT WORKS!
Old 24 November 2020, 07:28 PM   #90
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060 Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by teck21 View Post
Why should one have to love watches to desire a Rolex?

You don't have to like watches to desire a Rolex, isn't this part of the problem?

People have been sold on the Rolex dream whether that message was via Rolex marketing and promotions or via the hype of social media. Net result lots of people seeking these aspirational watches but without having love of watches, but having a love of Rolex.

Small Rolex, Omega, Seiko and Oris Collection
Closed Thread