The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 22 November 2020, 11:39 PM   #1
pathai
"TRF" Member

AD - Refusing to sell unless...

Visited my local Rolex AD today, to ask about the new models and to be added to their waiting-list.

Having spent over 30.000 USD in their shop over the past 12 months, I thought it would at least be possible to get on their waiting-list.

This was when I was informed about their rules, when it can to any kind of popular sports watch. The rule was: You can only buy a sports model, if you also at the same time buy another un-popular Rolex watch.

I was kind of in chock hearing this and said I would simply not be extorted to buy something I did not want. Their response was pretty cold... "Well, then you will not be able to buy the watch you want here". I then asked if the other (un-popular) Rolex watches I previously had purchased could not count as an extra, but NO... It had to be purchased at the same time.

Honestly, is this really what Rolex has become? A company/brand extorting their customers like this? I don't think I will ever again buy a Rolex watch. What a sick way to do business.

I am amazed that Rolex, lets their Official Dealers do stuff like this.
Old 22 November 2020, 11:44 PM   #2
SkyJuice
"TRF" Member

Time to change AD.
Old 22 November 2020, 11:45 PM   #3
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Welcome to the new world of Rolex. Unfortunate 30K won’t get you much nowadays. We all feel your pain.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 22 November 2020, 11:47 PM   #4
zabazja
"TRF" Member

Sounds like a great deal! Where I live they try to talk you into buying 3 Hublots to get into the waiting list.
Old 22 November 2020, 11:48 PM   #5
peterpl
Banned

It has to all go downhill at some stage and Rolex probably knows that.

Until that happens or until the hype dies down this is the unfortunate situation all of us are in. I've spent over $200k and still cant get anything. LOL

I'm a small potato compared to some ppl - it makes more sense to just go gray than buy stuff you dont want.
Old 22 November 2020, 11:50 PM   #6
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Buy a Hublot or Zenith!
Old 22 November 2020, 11:54 PM   #7
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Did they actually say ‘unpopular’ watch?

You could always call their bluff and say you’ll buy their cheapest date just in return for a white dial Daytona and you’d be well ahead. :-)
Old 23 November 2020, 12:03 AM   #8
173rdabn
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 216570 Explorer II
Tell him to piss off and find another Dealer.
Old 23 November 2020, 12:06 AM   #9
teck21
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay 58
Extortion is a criminal offence. You should go to the police.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 23 November 2020, 12:11 AM   #10
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Yes folks, this is not a surprise. This is why there are gray dealers, and the whole supply issue is just a hoax. Pinched supply and AD games create the illusion of scarcity and then of course people buy into that narrative and it spreads like wild fire and then you have 10k premiums being put on watches that are abundant. It’s laughable.
Old 23 November 2020, 12:18 AM   #11
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
I don't like it either, but it's certainly not extortion. It is their business and they can sell under their terms, consistent with the law and Rolex policy, which "bundling" or customer selectivity by previous purchases, doesn't appear to violate.
Old 23 November 2020, 12:22 AM   #12
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I’d buy the watch you want from another AD or a gray dealer.
Old 23 November 2020, 12:24 AM   #13
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
With the factory shutdown and maybe still not fully up and running, there is a serious shortage of product. That is just the situation at the moment. Shipments are pretty much done for the year. Now is not the best time to buy. Maybe next year supplies increase. A lot of unspent money on other stuff is chasing what inventory there is.
Old 23 November 2020, 12:27 AM   #14
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
I agree, that’s just unabashed extortion. Maybe if they could sell the unpopular models without pulling this kind of nonsense they would get more popular ones to sell.

I had a similar experience several years ago, though the SA was a tad more subtle. I even met the owner of the AD after it happened and gave him feedback about my experience. He defended this business practice, cementing the swear I made to myself that I’d never return to that AD.

I’d think Omega and several other brands are benefiting substantially from this behavior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathai View Post
Visited my local Rolex AD today, to ask about the new models and to be added to their waiting-list.

Having spent over 30.000 USD in their shop over the past 12 months, I thought it would at least be possible to get on their waiting-list.

This was when I was informed about their rules, when it can to any kind of popular sports watch. The rule was: You can only buy a sports model, if you also at the same time buy another un-popular Rolex watch.

I was kind of in chock hearing this and said I would simply not be extorted to buy something I did not want. Their response was pretty cold... "Well, then you will not be able to buy the watch you want here". I then asked if the other (un-popular) Rolex watches I previously had purchased could not count as an extra, but NO... It had to be purchased at the same time.

Honestly, is this really what Rolex has become? A company/brand extorting their customers like this? I don't think I will ever again buy a Rolex watch. What a sick way to do business.

Old 23 November 2020, 12:30 AM   #15
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Explore some of the other great Swiss watch brands and avoid all the games.

This sort of nonsense is why my last four watch purchases have been non-Rolex.

Sent from my Galaxy S20 using Tapatalk
Old 23 November 2020, 12:31 AM   #16
goliat
"TRF" Member

LMAO wtf
Old 23 November 2020, 12:33 AM   #17
edingotham
"TRF" Member

You need a different AD
Old 23 November 2020, 12:34 AM   #18
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
Nothing to do with Rolex. It’s your AD. Since he is the owner of the watches he can sell to whomever he likes on his terms.
Find another
Old 23 November 2020, 12:35 AM   #19
pathai
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wcdhtwn View Post
I agree, that’s just unabashed extortion. Maybe if they could sell the unpopular models without pulling this kind of nonsense they would get more popular ones to sell.

I had a similar experience several years ago, though the SA was a tad more subtle. I even met the owner of the AD after it happened and gave him feedback about my experience. He defended this business practice, cementing the swear I made to myself that I’d never return to that AD.

I’d think Omega and several other brands are benefiting substantially from this behavior.
I completely agree. I will also just go out and spend my money on another brand instead. For me, the experience today made me think completely different about the brand. I have owned and worn Rolex watches for over 20 years and know they are not worth more as a watch, than their retail value.

To me buying a luxury watch should also be a good experience. The arrogance and extortion tactics I saw today was not any worthy of any luxury watch.

They don't need my business... Fine I will find someone else who appreciates me as a customer.

But so sad to see a brand I really liked, become like this.
Old 23 November 2020, 12:42 AM   #20
Captain Scrumpy
"TRF" Member

AD - Refusing to sell unless...

Been told similar lots of times - usually ‘you have to buy gold or diamonds’. Its bollocks. Wont do it. I’ve managed to get what i wanted from rolex by waiting patiently with a couple of ADs i’ve got to know by buying tudors and omegas - best results from a small family run jewelers but they are losing rolex.... I dont want or hunt unicorns and have only been after an OP39, Explorer 1 & Explorer 2. I’ve actually been laughed at by a salesman in Goldsmiths when enquiring about the Exp 2. Sort of takes the shine off what should be a fun experience.

Old 23 November 2020, 12:44 AM   #21
Gerardus
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕
Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
Nothing to do with Rolex. It’s your AD. Since he is the owner of the watches he can sell to whomever he likes on his terms.
Find another
-> THIS <-

♕16570 ♕126610 ♕126333
Old 23 November 2020, 12:53 AM   #22
pathai
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpl View Post
It has to all go downhill at some stage and Rolex probably knows that.

Until that happens or until the hype dies down this is the unfortunate situation all of us are in. I've spent over $200k and still cant get anything. LOL

I'm a small potato compared to some ppl - it makes more sense to just go gray than buy stuff you dont want.
Agree, the times will eventually change and I will just wait for that. I remember when I purchased my first Rolex over 20 years ago. Lot's of stock and ADs throwing discounts at you like it was candy.

What goes up, eventually always comes down. Just amazed to withness this kind of arrogance from a reseller. Hope and believe people remember them when time changes. I will for sure.
Old 23 November 2020, 01:02 AM   #23
Danny83

Watch: Yellow Gold
What were you looking to buy?
Old 23 November 2020, 01:10 AM   #24
pathai
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
Explore some of the other great Swiss watch brands and avoid all the games.

This sort of nonsense is why my last four watch purchases have been non-Rolex.

Sent from my Galaxy S20 using Tapatalk
Agree, lots of other good watch companies out there that will provide excellent customer service.

I hope for Rolex, that they over time get control over the current hype and situation. Because what is currently happening (I guess) is that many potential customers are getting really annoyed with the official Rolex ADs.

Buying a luxury watch should be a good experience and not a hassle. Certainly not a situaiton, where you as a customer feel you are being extorted.

Yes, Rolex for sure is the top brand. But when it comes to their watches, then they are not worth more than retail price.

And if their ADs start behave like the Mafia (as I experienced today), I doubt they will keep having as many followers in the future. I for sure see the brand very differently after todays experience.
Old 23 November 2020, 01:10 AM   #25
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
For all the supply shortages, bundling by AD’s (not to mention the occasional ‘attitude’) and other distasteful sales practices, Rolex should be extra careful not to compound the problem with a slip in quality.
Old 23 November 2020, 01:19 AM   #26
pathai
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny83 View Post
What were you looking to buy?
I asked to get on the waiting-list for the GMT-Master II Root Beer.

ANY Sub- or GMT required extra Rolex (none-sport) purchase...LOL! So no waiting-list spot for me :-) At least I was offered a coffee, which I think was fair after spending USD 30k previously at their shop.
Old 23 November 2020, 01:23 AM   #27
pathai
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack T View Post
For all the supply shortages, bundling by AD’s (not to mention the occasional ‘attitude’) and other distasteful sales practices, Rolex should be extra careful not to compound the problem with a slip in quality.
Yeah I was thinking the same today. One small slip in quality and they will face huge challenges.

I actually hope this happens. Maybe the only thing that can get them all... Rolex and ADs to wake up.
Old 23 November 2020, 01:26 AM   #28
whattimeyougot
"TRF" Member

When MSRP of a product is materially lower than the actual fair market value and there is also a mature secondary market for that product you’ll get these games.

Old 23 November 2020, 01:27 AM   #29
Wood&Leather
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathai View Post

The bolded almost sounds made up like it shouldn't be real but i guess perhaps it is. Just out of curiosity what pieces were you trying to get???

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyJuice View Post
Time to change AD.
Not all ADs are created equal. That's for certain. I've been to some "jeweler" ADs where the highest end brand they carry is Rolex with Tudor as support and you may as well be stopping in subway for a $5 foot long. Nothing luxurious about the buying experience or treatment.

On the otherhand I've been to other boutiques where they carry Pateks as well and offer proper white-glove treatment and don't create such ridiculous policies.
Old 23 November 2020, 01:34 AM   #30
Freespeach
"TRF" Member

As with all independently owned stores, some are good and some are bad.
My AD and SA goes out of their way to make me feel part of the family.
On a regular basis I will get texts of SS pieces to check my interest. No lists, no bundle extortion, just a good relationship. As an FYI, I am not a whale with a big purchase history. Some ADs are just good people.
Closed Thread