The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 23 November 2020, 09:51 AM   #61
CFR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLEXROLEXROLEXRO View Post
I see OP that you're in Thailand. In the U.S., what you're describing is called Tying and is ILLEGAL. Seller cannot blatantly say that.
I believe "tying" is illegal only in certain circumstances, and it's not clear to me that an individual Rolex AD who does what the OP described would be breaking any (federal) antitrust law if done in the US. Now, if Rolex compelled many or all of its US ADs to systematically engage in tying, that might be another story. I'm not an US antitrust lawyer so I may be misunderstanding US law as it relates to the concept of tying, though.
Old 23 November 2020, 09:56 AM   #62
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

That stinks. This makes buying Rolex less fun. It shouldn’t be this way.
Old 23 November 2020, 09:58 AM   #63
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
Quote:
I see OP that you're in Thailand. In the U.S., what you're describing is called Tying and is ILLEGAL. Seller cannot blatantly say that.
This is incorrect. If you review the laws on this matter, at least in the US, tying or bundling is generally considered to be competitive and not anti-competitive. The Supreme Court ruled that conviction for such offenses must involve substantial restraint of interstate commerce or trade.
Old 23 November 2020, 09:58 AM   #64
Atone
"TRF" Member

Watch: TinTin!
I appreciate the candid nature of the AD’s response. Way too many of them play games
Old 23 November 2020, 10:03 AM   #65
dpt.calvin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atone View Post
I appreciate the candid nature of the AD’s response. Way too many of them play games
Are you saying this AD isn’t playing a game? They are. They’re just telling him the rules of the game.
Old 23 November 2020, 10:06 AM   #66
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

They don't want you as a customer. Right or wrong and however offensive to you their behaviour may be, you know where you stand. You won't need to waste any more of your time on them and can hopefully cultivate relationships elsewhere..
Old 23 November 2020, 10:28 AM   #67
teck21
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathai View Post
Visited my local Rolex AD today, to ask about the new models and to be added to their waiting-list.

Having spent over 30.000 USD in their shop over the past 12 months, I thought it would at least be possible to get on their waiting-list.

This was when I was informed about their rules, when it can to any kind of popular sports watch. The rule was: You can only buy a sports model, if you also at the same time buy another un-popular Rolex watch.

I was kind of in chock hearing this and said I would simply not be extorted to buy something I did not want. Their response was pretty cold... "Well, then you will not be able to buy the watch you want here". I then asked if the other (un-popular) Rolex watches I previously had purchased could not count as an extra, but NO... It had to be purchased at the same time.

Honestly, is this really what Rolex has become? A company/brand extorting their customers like this? I don't think I will ever again buy a Rolex watch. What a sick way to do business.

I am amazed that Rolex, lets their Official Dealers do stuff like this.

Why didn’t you ask about their policy for popular model before you blew your US$30k?

You allowed yourself to get played. You had expectations in your mind which you did not think to clear with the party you were expecting from.

Now you’re complaining?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 23 November 2020, 10:32 AM   #68
4 Aussies
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Blue Sky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
They don't want you as a customer. Right or wrong and however offensive to you their behaviour may be, you know where you stand. You won't need to waste any more of your time on them and can hopefully cultivate relationships elsewhere..
Wise words Harry!! Be grateful you know where you stand with them and seek out a better AD!!
Old 23 November 2020, 10:47 AM   #69
Atone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpt.calvin View Post
Are you saying this AD isn’t playing a game? They are. They’re just telling him the rules of the game.
lol. Why are so many people on here so easily flustered by subjective interpretation of a narrative?
Old 23 November 2020, 10:53 AM   #70
dpt.calvin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atone View Post
lol. Why are so many people on here so easily flustered by subjective interpretation of a narrative?
Just calling it like I see it.
Old 23 November 2020, 10:55 AM   #71
Sacha82
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 16710
I'd say okay and buy the DJ and a new Hulk. Then take the DJ back within the allotted return window - unworn - and request a refund. I get the watch I want without spending a fortune on stuff I don't want and pay retail besides. Sorted!

Kidding, of course. I'm sure there's some way of preventing this approach. While I'm not in the market for new references, I feel for those of you that are.

S82
Old 23 November 2020, 11:00 AM   #72
ngypheap
"TRF" Member

Stay calm and not only u, I’ve spent about 50K in this 9 months to one AD. They still urge me to spend $$$ on other jewelry like diamond, bracelet, necklace before they can offer me the SS. I said NO that is fucking crazy I don’t want that.
I start to enjoy my watch grey dealer now , life is short and I don’t want to spend my time to play game.,
We have different story in our life, I’m own a bakery shop and work 7/weeks so I just enjoy what I’m doing

Old 23 November 2020, 11:01 AM   #73
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
Some backstory is required here. Like the 30K of previously bought pieces. What are they? What hot model was on offer? If any, or just being put on 'the list'. And the all important dogs the AD wanted rid of. Fwiw I think a TT DJ and any SS sport would be a nice pairing.. if an unwanted one.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Old 23 November 2020, 11:10 AM   #74
Atone
"TRF" Member

I spent $100k with a certain local AD and was still getting offered BS pieces. I switched AD’s and knew the deal. Within 2 weeks I had the right kind of call. This is just how it is right now. Every day there are 50000 threads with the same content. How is everyone still shocked? Spend some money and get some calls later or don’t and cross your fingers.
Old 23 November 2020, 12:03 PM   #75
David001
Banned

I don't get people spending 30k, 50k, 100k, just to get into an ADs good books.
Just pay the premium and go to a grey dealer, you'll save money.
Old 23 November 2020, 12:07 PM   #76
pathai
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teck21 View Post
Why didn’t you ask about their policy for popular model before you blew your US$30k?

You allowed yourself to get played. You had expectations in your mind which you did not think to clear with the party you were expecting from.

Now you’re complaining?

Not complaining, just telling about my experience.

The AD can do as they wish. I will just find another place to spend my money.

Had the AD been smart, they would just have signed me up for their "Waiting-list" and then thrown away the paper after I left the store. What I find interesting is their approach in trying to force their customers to buy stuff they don't need or want.
Old 23 November 2020, 12:10 PM   #77
pathai
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David001 View Post
I don't get people spending 30k, 50k, 100k, just to get into an ADs good books.
Just pay the premium and go to a grey dealer, you'll save money.
I did not spend 30K to get in any books. I spend the 30K for watches as gifts to my family members.

I just wrongly thought that having previously spent 30K would not be a bad thing, if wanting to be added to a waiting-list. I was obviously wrong :-)
Old 23 November 2020, 12:19 PM   #78
vh2k
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Tying, in and of itself, is not illegal — even in the U.S.

No Rolex dealer in the U.S. is a monopoly. There are hundreds of sellers and thus plenty of competition.
Old 23 November 2020, 12:24 PM   #79
m3tek44
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: this
Another reason to go grey!
Old 23 November 2020, 12:46 PM   #80
jmed
"TRF" Member

This all sounds crazy! I’ve bought 7 Rolex watches over the years, 16 years to be exact, never once has my official Rolex AD said I had to buy anything other than the watch I was looking at. I’m quite certain if Rolex knew their authentic dealers were pulling shenanigans like this, they would lose their account as Rolex would pull out. Sure there are models that are harder to come by, just check regularly and when you see one buy it. If they won’t let you buy a watch that is for sale, walk out and say thanks I’ll take my business elsewhere. As far as gray goes, do what you like, I’ve never paid a single Penney over retail for a Rolex and never will, all mine bought new at a Rolex AD who gave additional 3 year warranty on top of Rolex. To pay a premium and thousands over retail for a current production Rolex just sounds foolish to me, but hey some people have more money than sense. Now paying current value for a vintage piece is different and can be justified.
Old 23 November 2020, 12:50 PM   #81
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathai View Post
I did not spend 30K to get in any books. I spend the 30K for watches as gifts to my family members.

I just wrongly thought that having previously spent 30K would not be a bad thing, if wanting to be added to a waiting-list. I was obviously wrong :-)
Good attitude Good luck getting the watch you want.
Old 23 November 2020, 12:53 PM   #82
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmed View Post
I’m quite certain if Rolex knew their authentic dealers were pulling shenanigans like this, they would lose their account as Rolex would pull out.
There are three Rolex ADs in my current home town. The one AD that is openly bundling and charging mark-ups is the one building a big shiny new Rolex-only store.
Old 23 November 2020, 12:57 PM   #83
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
What gets to me, they come up with this BS and they still can’t guarantee what you will get and when...good luck...
Old 23 November 2020, 12:57 PM   #84
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaski View Post
Perhaps Rolex should discontinue these unpopular models and focus their energy on making stuff that people actually want...
Except that people want what they can't get...
Old 23 November 2020, 04:06 PM   #85
scombs263
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex SD43
I would be ok getting a nice sports model and a date just. One of my ADs has numerous desired sports models in the safe. Pretty much only way to get one is pay way above msrp or buy $30,000 worth of bs jewelry.
Old 23 November 2020, 04:21 PM   #86
MrJKLFoams
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexOmegaJLC
Its time to move on and find another AD. That bundle combo meal deal is not new. I remember way back 2017 singapore marina bay rolex boutique the old man told me I can only buy the 114060 if Im going to buy a DJ. Funny but anyway lucky I didnt do it.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk
Old 23 November 2020, 05:22 PM   #87
TDOR
Banned

I am amazed at their craziness, it is nothing short of extortion, their rule could easily pass a crime.
Old 23 November 2020, 05:39 PM   #88
teck21
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDOR View Post
I am amazed at their craziness, it is nothing short of extortion, their rule could easily pass a crime.

You guys should all go to the police to report this heinous extortion.

Old 23 November 2020, 05:43 PM   #89
Uggi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDOR View Post
I'm amazed you could interpret it as extortion.
A business has something to sell and puts conditions on the sale to try to maximise the price it gets for it, within the law.
What's to see here?
Old 23 November 2020, 06:07 PM   #90
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Extortion? ROTF! I'd like to see that established in court.

Asking you to buy something you don't want to get something you want is nothing more than appealing to people's greed and vanity. If you are not sufficiently greedy and vain, they do not want your custom. And why would you give it to them?
Closed Thread