The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 November 2020, 01:45 AM   #1
BobbyKeetaNow
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126600
Why doesn’t Rolex offer transparent casebacks?

It’s 2020: yes, SS is of course popular, but a transparent case back _offer_ is industry standard across most if not all other high-end manufacturers. Why doesn’t Rolex at least _offer_ transparent casebacks across _some_ of its models? Wouldn’t it be a great way to stir even further appreciation of Rolex craftsmanship?
BobbyKeetaNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2020, 01:50 AM   #2
Eelco
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116400 & 114200
Rolex 5443/9 (Cellini Prince) comes to mind. Beautiful caseback, but other than the Cellini line; probably wouldn't do well with the Oystercase (i.e. water resistance).
Eelco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2020, 01:53 AM   #3
Wood&Leather
"TRF" Member

Because "haute horology" isn't really rolex's bag, which is a shame because if anyone has the capability it's rolex. The skydweller complication is downright ingenious in it's execution and design.

In my head Rolex is closer to cool jewelry than haute de gamme horology. Look at the movement detail even on a Glashutte Original Panoreserve vs anything rolex has machined. I'm 100% certain it's not for lack of capability, they just really have no need to because their following doesn't really go to them for that. That's what patek, a lange, glashutte original, etc are for

Adding cellini prince after the gent above mentioned it

Wood&Leather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2020, 02:00 AM   #4
dpt.calvin
"TRF" Member

I admire that Rolex do not offer exhibition casebacks.
dpt.calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2020, 02:13 AM   #5
bp1000
"TRF" Member

Because they would have to put some effort into the finishing which would just elevate the price.

When you want to be on the same level of prestige as
Patek, ALS and Vacheron they either need to up their finishing game or just put a blanket over it.

Plus everything is automatic
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2020, 02:17 AM   #6
Overwound
"TRF" Member

Rolex values lack of transparency so much that an extra sapphire crystal would be too much.
Overwound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2020, 02:21 AM   #7
sunnygps
2024 Pledge Member

There is really nothing to show for, so why show it? Rolex watches are workhorses with the entire lineup water resistance certified to minimum 100 meters.

I have watches with transparent cases and I have never spent any time looking at the movement. I bought the watch to tell time and that is how I wear it.
sunnygps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2020, 02:21 AM   #8
zak98
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overwound View Post
Rolex values lack of transparency so much that an extra sapphire crystal would be too much.
Panerai PAM390
zak98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2020, 02:29 AM   #9
Wood&Leather
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnygps View Post

I have watches with transparent cases and I have never spent any time looking at the movement. I bought the watch to tell time and that is how I wear it.

Old 23 November 2020, 02:39 AM   #10
Jpccarguy
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyKeetaNow View Post
It’s 2020: yes, SS is of course popular, but a transparent case back _offer_ is industry standard across most if not all other high-end manufacturers. Why doesn’t Rolex at least _offer_ transparent casebacks across _some_ of its models? Wouldn’t it be a great way to stir even further appreciation of Rolex craftsmanship?
Have you ever looked at a Rolex movement? I rest my case. Let the flames begin!
Jpccarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2020, 02:44 AM   #11
Wood&Leather
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpccarguy View Post
Have you ever looked at a Rolex movement? I rest my case. Let the flames begin!
no flames here. bare minimal effort on finishing and i don't think that's entirely bad. It's like having the reliability of a 1990's Toyota Engine powering the most beautifully designed mercedes and that's fine by me.

Old 23 November 2020, 02:45 AM   #12
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
The modern Cellini Prince does but all the rest of the Rolex movements are very plain Jane in the looks department.And decoration does not always equate to a fine movement,the Rolex movement does what it says on the tin.A very accurate long lasting movement which is far more important than decoration any day.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2020, 02:49 AM   #13
jlovda
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513,1675,216570
A few years back I bought a Swatch Body & Soul because it looked cool. After a few weeks my interest level wore off and it now sits in a drawer. Also, I really can't wear a watch without a date for very long.
jlovda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2020, 02:53 AM   #14
iTreelex
"TRF" Member

Rolex wouldn't exhibit their movements unless it was highly decorated and I'm glad it's like that. Like others have mentioned, they are not haute horlogerie. They are unbeatable with longevity however and let's keep it that way.

Last I checked you look at the dial to tell the time lol.
iTreelex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2020, 02:53 AM   #15
Laszlo
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Date & No Date
I honestly can’t take a tool watch seriously when it has an open case back. I honestly find it cheesy. That’s just me.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2020, 02:55 AM   #16
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Rolex isn't part of the herd. I think their movements are very plain; why have a transparent case back just for the sake of having one. It detracts from WR and makes the watch less rugged..

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2020, 03:23 AM   #17
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
I honestly can’t take a tool watch seriously when it has an open case back. I honestly find it cheesy. That’s just me.
Sorry to break it to you, but Rolex are no longer “tool watches”. Fantastic yes, but tools no. Certainly not judging by the amount of babying that goes on with most owners judging by many threads I read here.
Sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2020, 03:28 AM   #18
Simon_jrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: whichever I wear
Quote:
Amongst other things its generally not Rolex's "Style" to do many models with it.

Submariner 114060/ Submariner 116613LB/ Daytona 116523/ Omega Seamaster/ Omega De Ville
Simon_jrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2020, 03:38 AM   #19
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Im not sure why it is needed.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2020, 03:39 AM   #20
faz
"TRF" Member

Watch: like'em all
I had a similar question a few years ago. The answer was as given above, movements ( as mechanically interesting as they are), were not beautified and as such, no need to display them. They won’t be seen anyway.

Then I got a couple of watches that has display back. After the first couple of times of looking at the movement, I never cared about that and in fact I even forget they have that feature now. I probably spent two minutes at the most looking at the case back in the entire ownership.

Now with finishing like some of ALS or Glasshute or Patek , sure , that would be awesome. They are made with that in mind. But for the plain Jain Rolex finishing, I don’t need it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Instagram @fazmoto
faz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2020, 03:39 AM   #21
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

Adds thickness if you want to keep the WR rating (don't quote me on that), but more importantly, while nicely finished, the movements aren't designed to be beautiful. If I buy a Rolex, I'm buying for reliability, robustness, accuracy, do anything, any time etc. When I buy a Patek etc, I'm buying something that looks pretty or has some interesting complications.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2020, 03:40 AM   #22
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

To add to that, even the Rolex case back is boring and plain. Rolex kinda gave up on the side that touches your wrist. It is what it is.
Mystro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2020, 03:45 AM   #23
Meyrin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 14060
Quote:
Wonderful!!
Meyrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2020, 04:36 AM   #24
Peter Toronto
"TRF" Member

Quote:

That’s really clever. Bravo!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Peter Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2020, 04:45 AM   #25
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpit View Post
Sorry to break it to you, but Rolex are no longer “tool watches”. Fantastic yes, but tools no. Certainly not judging by the amount of babying that goes on with most owners judging by many threads I read here.
You know you can take a Snap-On ratchet and lovingly mount it in a shadow box display and set it on your fireplace mantle with a seascape and all your family pictures and that doesn’t make it any less of a tool. All of the Rolex sports watches will take a proper beating, just because many people adore and trade them as objects of horological art doesn’t make them any less of a tool.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2020, 04:55 AM   #26
GradyPhilpott

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin of Larchmont View Post
You know you can take a Snap-On ratchet and lovingly mount it in a shadow box display and set it on your fireplace mantle with a seascape and all your family pictures and that doesn’t make it any less of a tool. All of the Rolex sports watches will take a proper beating, just because many people adore and trade them as objects of horological art doesn’t make them any less of a tool.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2020, 04:57 AM   #27
thenewrick
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP41 Silver
Display casebacks add a ton of cost and complexity that Rolex wants no part of. If anything they might do them with a line of Cellinis at a higher price point.
thenewrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2020, 04:57 AM   #28
nda
"TRF" Member

It's not about being waterproof - I have watches that are 600m (984 feet) depth rating with a glass back. Not much thicker than a Rolex 'dive' watch.

Rolex choose not to make it a feature and that's fine. I quite like the fact that the most complicated movement I own, a Rolex, can't be seen - it's quite modest of them really.
nda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2020, 05:11 AM   #29
Stan Cooper

Watch: GMT-Master II
Aftermarket transparent (sapphire) Rolex compatible casebacks.

Custom Watch Concepts

(Germany)
♛16710 GMT-Master II, ♛1915 Rolex WW1 Trench Watch, Zelos Thresher 500m GMT Meteorite, Zelos Swordfish 40 200m Ti Blood Moon Meteorite, Hamilton Pilot Chronograph, Ball Roadmaster Pilot GMT COSC Chronometer, Zelos Mako 300M True GMT Meteorite
It's weird being the same age as old people.

- Stan
Stan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2020, 05:14 AM   #30
henrylee
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN Ceramic
Transparent case back would likely decrease the watches water resistance