The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 9 March 2019, 11:52 PM   #61
Nohitsub
"TRF" Member

what do you use to polish/clean the brushed links?
Nohitsub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2019, 12:08 AM   #62
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlig View Post
Being OCD the fine scratches on the polished portion of the gold bracelet links bothers me. I have experience polishing but would never use a buffer or a Dremel . I carefully mask off the brushed portion of the bracelet and gently polish with the Cape Cod Cloth. The results are great, all scratches gone. I don't do anything with the brushed areas of the bracelet. This process takes around 10 minutes max. I would like to do this every few months but I'm concerned about wearing down the gold. What do you guys think?
Now and then.Dont over polish.Just the major scratches.
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2019, 12:28 AM   #63
mk2jag
"TRF" Member

don't scratch it and it won't have to be polished.....
mk2jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2019, 12:35 AM   #64
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk2jag View Post
don't scratch it and it won't have to be polished.....
If you wear it, the watch will accrue scratches especially gold.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2019, 01:04 AM   #65
OliverTwist
"TRF" Member

When I polished the gold of my TT Yachtmsster, I couldnt help but get some of the polish on the brushed SS. It didnt look right until I sent it in for service to RSC snd they refinished it properly. Because of the contours of the links, it was impossible to protect the brushed areas completely with tape. Devildogs looks great in the pictures, I must admit.
OliverTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2019, 01:32 AM   #66
mk2jag
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
If you wear it, the watch will accrue scratches especially gold.
I owned a full gold for years so I'm aware of that. If you are careful you can avoid much of the scratches and avoid damaging the soft gold material
mk2jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2019, 01:35 PM   #67
jnkay
"TRF" Member

Watch: du jour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
Meh, this no polishing movement is way over blown. I have used a Cape Cod cloth on the 18k PCL for 17 years on my Bluesy. A light touch is all that is required.

How's this for a long time empirical data for using a cape cod cloth. There isn't any gold worn away even noticeable from a macro pic view. The edges on the bracelet are sharp and pristine. Even Rikki that received the watch for a routine service at the 15 year mark said the watch was in outstanding condition. I don't know if this "no polishing" movement is fueled by just being unsure of what to do or you flip watches fast enough it doesn't matter? Polishing with a cape cod cloth a few times a year is routine ownership and not refurbing the watch.

AGREE 100%. Like you, my watches always look newish because I do light hand polishes to keep the pcls and other polished surfaces shining, while rebrushing the brushed parts. I’ve been doing this for 15 years without any machine polish, even during service. I can say with 100% certainty that the sum total of all my hand polishing over 15 years on any of my Rolexes has removed less metal than a single RSC polish. How do I know this? Simple, because the deeper scratches (still not that deep) that I picked up in my first year of ownership—before I figured out how not to slam my wrist into everything—are still there. Diminished, yes, definitely. But a single Rolex service would have removed metal to the depth of the scratches, eliminating them.
jnkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2019, 04:22 PM   #68
Frank McKay
"TRF" Member

I’ll never understand the “builds character, memories, etc” and almost feeling happy about having scratches on your $10-30,000 watch. I think that’s completely ridiculous and just a way of making you feel okay with having a banged up watch. I wear my watches often and they’re in pristine condition. If I plan to do any work I throw on my G shock. Just my .2 cents
Frank McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2019, 04:48 PM   #69
DLRIDES
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank McKay View Post
I’ll never understand the “builds character, memories, etc” and almost feeling happy about having scratches on your $10-30,000 watch. I think that’s completely ridiculous and just a way of making you feel okay with having a banged up watch. I wear my watches often and they’re in pristine condition. If I plan to do any work I throw on my G shock. Just my .2 cents

Agreed on all points.

Total absurdity thinking the occasional touch up with a Cape Cod will ruin a watch too ............
Old 11 March 2019, 01:30 AM   #70
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
I do the same thing with my watch bracelets maybe once every year or two. I just mask the brushed part and cape cod center links then, mask center and use a supermarket scouring pad (non scratch type) to do the brushed area using in this case soap and water to reduce friction. Bracelet looks new. Not sure how much metal is removed but, I’m guessing minimal. Haven’t had deep scratches though, just the usual hairline swirls.
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote