The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 30 January 2019, 12:14 PM   #121
WJGESQ
Banned

Very few.
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2019, 01:17 PM   #122
Jimmy Jam Jam
"TRF" Member

Watch: Bleu/Noir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armyguy03 View Post
I remember when calculator watches were all the rave.
hahahha,

Do you remember the ones that were able turn off TV's as well
Jimmy Jam Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2019, 01:22 PM   #123
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
May sound crass but only if they can afford the luxury. Rolex are not cheap and most people splurge first in other areas irrespective of their age.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2019, 01:24 PM   #124
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
All I can say is all we can do is hope so
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2019, 01:38 PM   #125
mr_gray
"TRF" Member

Watch: SMURF
rolex watches have already transcended functionality to become jewellery / a status symbol.

alot of people on this forum got into rolex when they simply made extraordinarily durable and functional timepieces. that time is now finished though (6 digit was the end i think).

so you might as well say "will tech innovations mean the end of jewellery?" and of course the answer to that is no. i'm not sure that anyone has successfully transformed electronics into jewellery yet. the redundancy factor kills that.

brands will continue to make one of the only items of jewellery that is acceptable to men, the watch, and i'd bet people (but overwhelmingly men) will continue to buy those watches/pieces of jewellery, albeit for a variety of non-practical reasons.
mr_gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2019, 03:05 PM   #126
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_gray View Post
rolex watches have already transcended functionality to become jewellery / a status symbol.

alot of people on this forum got into rolex when they simply made extraordinarily durable and functional timepieces. that time is now finished though (6 digit was the end i think).

so you might as well say "will tech innovations mean the end of jewellery?" and of course the answer to that is no. i'm not sure that anyone has successfully transformed electronics into jewellery yet. the redundancy factor kills that.

brands will continue to make one of the only items of jewellery that is acceptable to men, the watch, and i'd bet people (but overwhelmingly men) will continue to buy those watches/pieces of jewellery, albeit for a variety of non-practical reasons.
I reckon 5 digit was the peak and end of the tool watch era.

On reflection, perhaps the DSSD is the only remaining Rolex tool watch, even if it's way overkill
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2019, 07:32 PM   #127
MrWhy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Changes weekly

Yes, my daughter has about 3 or 4 watches already. This one won’t be hers until she hits 21.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MrWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2019, 09:00 PM   #128
DP63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18078
Well, as a father of a 22yr old daughter and God father to a 23 yr old male, I can speak from personal experiance that their generation are most definately "in to watches".

My daughter:
Has a few fashion watches and wears different ones for different outfits or occasions. She has already stated her claim on one of my Rolex.

My God son:
Owns an Oris diver, and has just treated himself to a brand new Tissot from my Rolex AD. He wanted a new Swiss timepiece but did not want to spend big money for the time being.

Both of them regard smart watches as another item that needs to be continually charged, another item that distracts their attention and another item that inevitably ends up left at home as all of the information the smart watch provided is on the phone they already have on their person. Both did eventually end up getting rid of their smart watches and buying dedicated training watches purely for the gym, and thats where they see wearable tech in their lives.
Old 30 January 2019, 11:01 PM   #129
SkyJuice
"TRF" Member

Wearing a Rolex to most people represents some form of "status" nowadays. Its no longer a necessary means to tell time since every Tom Dick and Harry carries a mobile phone anyway. So I don't foresee the luxury watch business will go down too much in near future.

Smart watch on the other hand will probably pose a challenge but once smart watch transmute to a smaller chip flexi size, the luxury watch will continue to have some place in the status world. Just my $0.02. ;)
SkyJuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2019, 01:06 AM   #130
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor & Cartier
Rolex = Status.
There will always be people wanting to affirm their status through luxury goods.

So the answer is yes.
Old 31 January 2019, 10:17 PM   #131
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tudorbaja27 View Post
Rolex = Status.
There will always be people wanting to affirm their status through luxury goods.

So the answer is yes.
Isn't that exactly what luxury goods are for?
Speedbird-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2019, 10:48 PM   #132
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Rolex = Status.

So the answer is yes.
+1. Watch brands that convey status to the general public (Rolex, PP, AP, even Omega) will do just fine.

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2019, 05:15 AM   #133
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor & Cartier
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Virgil Hilts View Post
Isn't that exactly what luxury goods are for?
Not necessarily. Luxury goods (the non-ostentatious kind) are meant for the owner to know what he/she is wearing, and no one else
Old 1 February 2019, 05:57 AM   #134
hothothaven
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II, Pam 685
My 5 year old already wears a G-Shock (its the only watch really tough enough for a hockey playing five year old), but always asks to wear my rolex. He keeps asking when he can get a "deep trench watch" (DSSD JC) because he wants something basically indestructible. So based on that, I think that there will be kids growing up already lusting after rolexes, just like dad wears

(oh, and regarding when does he get a DSSD, I told him if he graduates from the naval academy I'll buy him one for the job, otherwise, you get your first rolex when you can buy one for yourself.)
hothothaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2019, 06:13 AM   #135
MTBer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Jam Jam View Post
hahahha,

Do you remember the ones that were able turn off TV's as well

The amount of fun I had with these as a kid...

MTBer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2019, 01:48 PM   #136
Jimmy Jam Jam
"TRF" Member

Watch: Bleu/Noir
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTBer View Post

The amount of fun I had with these as a kid...

Those were so fun, i remember my cousin had the action man one i think those watches were considered high end for us hahaha, until my dad came and beat the chinese out of me for trolling him

Jimmy Jam Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2019, 09:46 PM   #137
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Not necessarily. Luxury goods (the non-ostentatious kind) are meant for the owner to know what he/she is wearing, and no one else
Non-ostentatious, luxury goods wearing individuals, are usually to be found behind the wheel of those non-ostentatious, Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Rolls Royce, etc,etc, etc.
Speedbird-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2019, 02:16 PM   #138
BisonHead
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub,SD,DJ,OP
My Daughter is coming up 18 this year and she has already asked for a Rolex for her 21st. Looking at the AD for ideas etc

Also my son at 12 likes watches and looks to having a Rolex when he is "Grown Up". My SD is his birth year, so he can have that for his 21st if he wants it.

My Nephew and Niece mid to late 20's both have Rolexes that they bought themselves to celebrate achievements in their lives.

I suppose it could be said that children that grow up around people with nice watches will gravitate towards them also.

I know i used to wear my Dads Rolex when i was a kid growing up at any opportunity i could get.
BisonHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2019, 05:42 PM   #139
MTBer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Jam Jam View Post
Those were so fun, i remember my cousin had the action man one i think those watches were considered high end for us hahaha, until my dad came and beat the chinese out of me for trolling him

I liked to play around with the TVs at restaurants, especially when there was a football or basketball game on. Nobody ever suspected some kid with a watch
MTBer is offline   Reply With Quote