The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 8 May 2018, 12:03 PM   #1
Faustomiami
"TRF" Member

AD discounts on Panerais?

I've read mixed reviews, some say they have gotten 20-25% discount, some say they have gotten no discount but a free strap. Share your experiences, would love to hear from actual transactions. Also heard online from website they get discount but not sure how.
Faustomiami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2018, 03:17 PM   #2
waikeekee
"TRF" Member

Please allow me to share my 2 cents.

I usually buys from a Panerai Authorized Dealer. Being a regular customer, they would give me 20% discount on whatever they have in their showcases. I do not know where are you from. AD from different countries give different amount of percentage of discount.

If you purchase from their boutique, then and usually you will not get any discount or maximum 5% off depending on the model you are getting. However, they will probably give you a strap as a token or as a gift.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
waikeekee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2018, 10:06 PM   #3
fullcourt
"TRF" Member

Watch: panerai
experiences vary depending on the relationship

if you have a good one you might get a better deal etc....

chgo_risti on IG
fullcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2018, 10:23 PM   #4
Faustomiami
"TRF" Member

Thanks for input! Yes I'm from Miami and we have a Panerai boutique down here and they did not budge on price at all, he said they can throw in a strap but that's all, so I said I would think about it.
Old 8 May 2018, 10:29 PM   #5
fullcourt
"TRF" Member

Watch: panerai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faustomiami View Post
Thanks for input! Yes I'm from Miami and we have a Panerai boutique down here and they did not budge on price at all, he said they can throw in a strap but that's all, so I said I would think about it.
you talking about the boutique in the design center? great place, saw the 721 there for the first time a few weeks before I got mine.

sometimes a strap is worth ~400.00, not a bad gift if it happens.

what are you looking to get?

chgo_risti on IG
fullcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2018, 12:32 AM   #6
Vaxe
"TRF" Member

I bought my first Panerai new from AD and got burned hard when I flipped.
Then I bought an used 372 for 50% off retail, so that’s the way for me from now on.
Vaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2018, 12:59 AM   #7
Faustomiami
"TRF" Member

Yup, I live few blocks away so I go by the shoppes every now and then. It's great area, Panerai, iwc, jaaeger, Rolex, tag, logines, vasc const... it's like a watch block of heaven lol
Old 9 May 2018, 01:01 AM   #8
Faustomiami
"TRF" Member

Vaxe, that's what I've heard but everything I've seen on Grey mark is just 1k or so off retail, which for that I'd obviously rather get it new and possibly less if ther s a discount
Old 9 May 2018, 01:26 AM   #9
lguevara91
"TRF" Member

depending on the model, you can find them way cheaper online and through different dealers in the same BNIB or LINB conditions... my local AD has a 424 for 7.7k and I found one brand new for 4.8k... needless to say the AD won't get my money! lol
Old 9 May 2018, 03:59 AM   #10
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

I have three Panerai (all under 8k individually). I purchased each through a grey dealer and had almost 1-2k off MSRP on each BNIB. I think the only reason to purchase Panerai from an AD would be to source limited edition models that are difficult to find or command a higher price on the secondary market. I haven't been to too many "mom and pop" ADs who carry Panerai. Most Panerai ADs I have seen are either boutiques directly owned by the brand or the brand offered among others in large chain ADs like Tourneau. Neither really has much of an incentive to give a discount.

Panerai is soft right now and it has been for the past few years. I just think there's a lot to save if you look in the right places. That said, if you do go into a boutique and purchase something at MSRP, I would hold them up for a bonus strap or two to sweeten the deal. Some of the crocodile straps go for close to $400. I know people like aftermarket Panerai straps, but I think the OEM straps are extremely well made.
Ravager135 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2018, 07:28 PM   #11
TC94
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
Quote:
I only have one Panerai that I purchased used but the original buyer told me he got 20% off from a trusted seller but not an AD. Price dropped like a rock after he bought it. FWIW.
TC94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2018, 01:49 AM   #12
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Only buy preowned.

If the model isn't available preowned, either wait or move on...

Buying Panerai new is a great way to lose alotta money.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2018, 01:58 AM   #13
chris nyc
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager135 View Post
I have three Panerai (all under 8k individually). I purchased each through a grey dealer and had almost 1-2k off MSRP on each BNIB. I think the only reason to purchase Panerai from an AD would be to source limited edition models that are difficult to find or command a higher price on the secondary market. I haven't been to too many "mom and pop" ADs who carry Panerai. Most Panerai ADs I have seen are either boutiques directly owned by the brand or the brand offered among others in large chain ADs like Tourneau. Neither really has much of an incentive to give a discount.

If you are truly buying a "grey market" piece then you're giving up the 2 year manufacturers warranty, as the booklet will not be stamped by an AD. That diminishes the watches value even more IMHO. I also look for a pre-owned that was originally purchased at least at an AD. Or, do some research and get it through a source with good AD connections and deeper discounts. There are plenty of them.

That being said, i've never been to an AD who didn't offer at least 10% off. Average is 15....some will do 20%.

Gone but not forgotten: PAM 233, PAM 1389, PAM 690, PAM 654, PAM 176, PAM 000, PAM 312, PAM 305, PAM 422, Rolex DSSD, Rolex TT Sub Bluesy
chris nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2018, 10:58 PM   #14
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris nyc View Post
If you are truly buying a "grey market" piece then you're giving up the 2 year manufacturers warranty, as the booklet will not be stamped by an AD. That diminishes the watches value even more IMHO. I also look for a pre-owned that was originally purchased at least at an AD. Or, do some research and get it through a source with good AD connections and deeper discounts. There are plenty of them.

That being said, i've never been to an AD who didn't offer at least 10% off. Average is 15....some will do 20%.
This is true. The grey market dealers I purchase from offer their own warranty. I have been collecting watches long enough to know that this is not ideal, but I think the larger issue is that Panerai resale value is pretty poor. The pieces I purchase aren't worth the loss on resale which is why I was alright with using a grey dealer (I don't plan on selling). Conversely, I have never bought a Rolex from a grey dealer for all the reasons you mentioned.

The problem I find when purchasing pre-owned Panerai is that you really have to find a piece in good condition. I like my straps to be as new as possible and OEM, which is why I prefer to buy BNIB. Many Panerai scratch easy due to their polished finish which is also a disincentive. If I were to grab a more expensive Panerai that would hold its value better, I probably would purchase from an AD.
Ravager135 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2018, 11:41 PM   #15
nick c
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
Only buy preowned.

This^^
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2018, 11:46 PM   #16
WillC
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR126710 IWC GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by waikeekee View Post
Please allow me to share my 2 cents.

I usually buys from a Panerai Authorized Dealer. Being a regular customer, they would give me 20% discount on whatever they have in their showcases. I do not know where are you from. AD from different countries give different amount of percentage of discount.

If you purchase from their boutique, then and usually you will not get any discount or maximum 5% off depending on the model you are getting. However, they will probably give you a strap as a token or as a gift.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I went to 2 different Boutiques in Seoul and they said they'd give 5% off and throw in a strap for the model I was looking at (620). I didn't try going to an AD FWIW.
WillC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2018, 11:28 AM   #17
Vaxe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Vaxe, that's what I've heard but everything I've seen on Grey mark is just 1k or so off retail, which for that I'd obviously rather get it new and possibly less if ther s a discount
Check out davidsw.com, most are 40% off list
Vaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2018, 11:35 AM   #18
WJGESQ
Banned

I would have thought huge discounts.
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2018, 04:39 PM   #19
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
Quote:
Only buy preowned.

What exactly is your beef with Panerai? This is total, utter bullshit. Buy pre-owned if you’re a serial flipper or have limited disposable income, but that’s about it

Most of us buy Panerai for the love of the brand; we don’t buy as an investment or anything like that.

You either get it or you don’t and you, my friend, never will.

To OP, I’ve only bought from the Panerai boutique in Singapore. I can get better discounts at local ADs but the Panerai boutique has looked after me like family. I value that over and above a few hundred bucks saving. If you’re not interested in the boutique experience, given that you live in the US then I’d buy from a TRF trusted seller.

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2018, 05:04 AM   #20
jmrxtr
"TRF" Member

Watch: PamRolexIWC
Quote:
Only buy preowned.

i have felt that pain. LNIB is the way to go for PAMs
jmrxtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2018, 05:30 AM   #21
buddymunster
"TRF" Member

I’ve received discounts from the boutique plus some Panerai swag - hats, shirts, travel case etc. the staff have invited me to many events and have been very good to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
buddymunster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2018, 06:01 AM   #22
portman
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II-c
I guess I will ask here -

I have seen people mentioning having "relationship" with a boutique or and AD...

Well for someone like me who is only looking to acquire the very first Panerai - how could I possibly have that kind of relationship?

It’s like saying I have to have a good credit history to apply for my first credit card. I have heard this oxymoron personally and it doesn’t make sense!

Anyway - if someone could teach me how to start that relationship... that would be great!

p.s. I am working with a trusted seller here at the moment but still would like to understand that relationship part for the future reference.
portman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2018, 02:37 PM   #23
mborkow
"TRF" Member

Watch: gmt2c pam372
I've bought two Panerais new from AD and gotten a discount both times. First was 20% (372) the next was 30% (305).
mborkow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2018, 03:38 AM   #24
Faustomiami
"TRF" Member

If retail at AD is $8k with 20% should be around $6k brand new, so how much is realistic for same watch Preowned?? 3k?? 4K??

I've had little luck with preowned because they all want $5500-5800 for preowned, for that I obviously would spend the extra $ and buy new
Old 20 May 2018, 02:39 AM   #25
portman
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II-c
I did go to a local AD a few days ago and was offered 10% for common models and 15% for models they are motivated to sell. I didn’t buy that day and told them I would come back.

I think I am going to ask for 25% (nicely of course) - and if they can do 20% I am going to ask for a strap or two. Anything less than that I can use the money go buy Apple stocks.
portman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2018, 05:18 AM   #26
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruud Van Driver View Post
What exactly is your beef with Panerai? This is total, utter bullshit. Buy pre-owned if you’re a serial flipper or have limited disposable income, but that’s about it

Most of us buy Panerai for the love of the brand; we don’t buy as an investment or anything like that.

You either get it or you don’t and you, my friend, never will.

To OP, I’ve only bought from the Panerai boutique in Singapore. I can get better discounts at local ADs but the Panerai boutique has looked after me like family. I value that over and above a few hundred bucks saving. If you’re not interested in the boutique experience, given that you live in the US then I’d buy from a TRF trusted seller.
Uh-oh.

I apologize for my late response to your profanity filled tirade. I try to keep up with everything, but sometimes things slip.

I don't have any beef with Panerai...but it appears you have a beef with me, so that warrants a response I suppose.

The two Panerai (pictrued below) that I own have a combined retail of $18,300.00

I didn't pay anywhere near that for them. Why? Not because I couldn't...but because It isn't sensible.

Others have stated support for my opinion on this thread, so I'm not alone. Maybe 10yrs ago things were different, but Panerai bungled their brand and it's become a $h$%$er in terms of brand value.

I still like 'em and I hope they get it together.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180527_151144-459x816.jpg (65.0 KB, 946 views)
Old 28 May 2018, 05:25 AM   #27
c41006
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pelagos
Quote:
Uh oh..

Ouch!
c41006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2018, 05:36 AM   #28
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c41006 View Post
Ouch!

I get that people get passionate about luxury goods and all that, but jeez...It's just a watch.
Old 28 May 2018, 07:50 AM   #29
Soleless Shoes
"TRF" Member

20% from AD. I used to buy used as I work with big dogs and I'm an outdoors person but my experience with Panerai has been very good over the years and the last 3 pieces I've bought new (2 for me and one for my wife) and wear them in any environment because I'm confident they're reliable.
Soleless Shoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2018, 02:07 PM   #30
Starwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona - BLACK
Quote:
Only buy preowned.

X2! The depreciation is huge. But I always prefer buying new - even though I got my mine in what I considered a good trade at the time. I think if you can score 30/35 percent off and not pay taxes or have taxes refunded to you - depending on the part of the world in which you are than that’s a pretty good deal to because you get it covered with warranty and have a watch that is new to you.

(Fleetlord - your input and comments in helping make that decision is much appreciated and I have no regrets, because I still do love the 389 and I really do prefer it to the 116610, way more compliments too.)