The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 13 January 2019, 02:27 PM   #91
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
I think it looks great initially, it's a bold move to shake things up and introduce a new line, this is what we should expect form AP so not sure why all the backlash. When was the last time you considered a JA line watch, at least with this new line there is some consideration and excitement, something fresh to consider and checkout.

I like the revolutionary case design, it's sandwiched three part design with hexagon in the middle, the glass is curved opposite directions on BOTH sides giving it a cool effect, as far as lugs Patek has a similar hollow lug design which I'm not a fan of, but this one is nice more crisp and industrial looking. Numerals and hands aren't bad, enamel dial will look much nicer in real life, not crazy about white dial. Movements are all stars of the show and they look amazing as expected with new rotor designs, love it.

I like that they went away from the royal oak comfort zone, they needed another line to shake things up, this is what AP does, people should know this instead of hating on it. Francois is betting big as he says in the video. Flying automatic tourbillon and perpetual calendar are gorgeous.

When they make too many RO designs people complaint they are one trick pony, when they try a new line people say they shoud stick with Royal Oaks

Nice video showing the double curved glass effect - https://live.hodinkee.com/e/sihh-201...db&type=videos
myporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2019, 02:30 PM   #92
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Agreed completely idiotic name. Other than the lugs there and the fact that they made an in house chrono there’s little to like for me.

I noticed that lol even FHB doesn’t like it enough to wear it.

Another thing I’m not fond if it the all dial no bezel look ala IWC port. I just don’t like the aesthetic. The idea of picking up one of these over virtually anything from Patek, Lange, VC is a good joke. I’d say the best comp might be the Gronefeld 1941 in terms of being a modern dress piece with interesting lugs. Take note of how it’s done AP.

Indeed.

If this was made by anyone other than AP, I’m quite sure it would not have attracted three pages of comments.

Personally, were it not AP, I wouldn’t have given it a second’s consideration before dismissing the entire line and never thinking of it again.
HK Islandboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2019, 02:53 PM   #93
crownprince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearxj86 View Post
My rating:
Case height = A
Case flanks = A+
Crystal = B+
Movement = B+
Dial = D-
Case size = C

However and unfortunately, dial is pretty important. Would have loved no-date, perhaps brueget numerals versus the panerai like enlarged 12, 3 , 6, 9. Perhaps it will grow on me.

My favorite is the simple 3 hander white dial rose gold.
It looks like Armani Chrono!
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2019-01-13 at 12.48.47 PM.png (158.5 KB, 433 views)
crownprince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2019, 03:14 PM   #94
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
LOL - you guys keep digging up pics of watches you think it looks like when it does not.

<insert any chrono watch here with 4 o'clock date>

Do all these watches have an advanced 3 part case design with hexagonal center? Did they all take many years to develop which is part f the reason we respect brand like AP? Do they all have amazing in house movements with top notch finishing? How "different" can you make a dress or dressy sport watch? Are Patek Calatravas crap because there are a 100 other watches that look like them? Do Grand Seikos get a lot of crap because they have similar sword hands as a 5227? Many questions here I know...

You can argue Vacheron patrimony looks like a Daniel Wellington, but it's not , and only you the wearer knows that, which is the beauty owing a beautiful piece like that.
myporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2019, 04:03 PM   #95
Watcheroo
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed View Post
The case is more fully-revealed and yes...it looks beautiful. The lugs are nice as well IMO.

However, no pics can change the font selection and dial design.

I personally don’t think they’re as bad as everyone is making them out to be. A bit of an overreaction. I was a bit underwhelmed by the dial design at first glance, but the more I look at it and the more live pics I see, the more I’m actually appreciating the overall design. I think it works and has a lot of potential...

I’ll decide how I really feel about it when I’ve seen one in hand
Watcheroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2019, 04:06 PM   #96
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
The watch does looks very nice when viewed sideways, with the intricate case and finishing. Yes, the dial design for some of these new references esp the chronos are highly questionable but let's wait until we can try the actual watches irl first.
Old 13 January 2019, 04:24 PM   #97
Speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post
The watch does looks very nice when viewed sideways, with the intricate case and finishing. Yes, the dial design for some of these new references esp the chronos are highly questionable but let's wait until we can try the actual watches irl first.

Ben

I think the watch that is most appealing out of the gate is the black dial Chrono. It only has one numeral - the 12.

The gold trim around the sundials and those hands...are the elements drawing out the multitude of “mall watch” comments.
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2019, 05:32 PM   #98
DasKptl
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by capote View Post
Its aweful, even worse than the VC56 and who knew that was possible?

Haha, now Vacheron 56 looks like a masterpiece. I think I'm going to get a 56 Complete Calendar in SS. It's just priced right.
DasKptl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2019, 06:51 PM   #99
P2725TMB
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AP, Rolex, Omega
Although my first impressions aren't overly positive, I'm now reserving judgement until I see in person, as photography may not show the product to full advantage. If I was to go for one it would be the RG Chrono, but I have to be cautious as I'm only paying any attention at all because its AP, if that makes sense!
P2725TMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2019, 07:03 PM   #100
Sonzy
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP/Breguet/IWC/Rlx
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundserious View Post
These will sell at a staggering discount on the secondary market. They basically made the exact watch that nobody wants anymore. The casual buyer has a plethora of options in this style that look so much better. Lange? JLC? Longines even.

I agree
Rolex: GMT Master II Batman.
Sonzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2019, 07:39 PM   #101
watchfan0529
"TRF" Member

I gave it some time to sink in, slept on it, meditated..yep the code 11.59 still sucks.

Let me try once more..
watchfan0529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2019, 01:05 AM   #102
Pongster
"TRF" Member

Why need to measure 52 weeks?
Pongster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2019, 01:23 AM   #103
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pongster View Post
Why need to measure 52 weeks?

As in the QPs week counter ?

Knowing the week number is very handy in business. More so than specific dates for me.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 07:04 AM   #104
Ballzzz
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan_State View Post
Lange and Patek are high-fiving each other... Seriously though, they are probably contempt, as long as one scores (perpetual).
Good thing your alive
Old 16 January 2019, 07:19 AM   #105
blacke90
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP||Panerai||Rolex
Same here and agree that it's not as bad. At the end of the day who looks at their watch straight on from the top and see a perfect circle?? Most of the time you'll see the side of the case and be interesting to see the curvature of the crystal in person plus legibility of the dial. I might be the odd ball here, but the design is growing on me. Keep in mind that AP didn't replace the RO nor the ROO with the CODE 1159.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watcheroo View Post
I personally don’t think they’re as bad as everyone is making them out to be. A bit of an overreaction. I was a bit underwhelmed by the dial design at first glance, but the more I look at it and the more live pics I see, the more I’m actually appreciating the overall design. I think it works and has a lot of potential...

I’ll decide how I really feel about it when I’ve seen one in hand
blacke90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 09:02 AM   #106
ragsk
Banned

I dont mind the 11.59

Will take a look in person before passing judgement
ragsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 10:13 AM   #107
zahain
"TRF" Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1ReJ8X26d4

A nice indepth look of the new line by the one and only Timmy with the backwards glasses

Looking at the new SS royal oak blue dial it doesn't look as good as the 400.
zahain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 10:42 AM   #108
bruinmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek/Rolex/GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by zahain View Post

A nice indepth look of the new line by the one and only Timmy with the backwards glasses

Great find.

I know I'm in the minority, but I actually like the 15500 dial better
bruinmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 10:52 AM   #109
Kjp061987
Banned

Watch: PAM512
Quote:
Originally Posted by zahain View Post

Bravo once again, Tim! 15500 looked much better in the videos than pictures. I think the new date window will grow on me, but still in the minority favoring the “automatic” text in the 15400.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kjp061987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 01:14 PM   #110
jed11
"TRF" Member

Looks like an IWC. Not say that's a bad thing...but just does to me
jed11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 01:33 PM   #111
tonupbklyn
"TRF" Member

for entry price of the cheapest 11.59, i’d rather have this...for me, one of the standouts of this year’s releases....

tonupbklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 01:43 PM   #112
RolexZen
"TRF" Member

Watch: No Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonupbklyn View Post
for entry price of the cheapest 11.59, i’d rather have this...for me, one of the standouts of this year’s releases....

I like Montblanc watches, and love the Minerva movement, but €29K is a hard ask...
RolexZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 01:59 PM   #113
tonupbklyn
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexZen View Post
I like Montblanc watches, and love the Minerva movement, but €29K is a hard ask...
probably... for an 11.59!
tonupbklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 08:45 PM   #114
blacke90
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP||Panerai||Rolex
New AP watches - My take

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjp061987 View Post
Bravo once again, Tim! 15500 looked much better in the videos than pictures. I think the new date window will grow on me, but still in the minority favoring the “automatic” text in the 15400.

The 15500 is growing on me after seeing the video and a few candid shots. It does look better in the video. Can’t wait to see one in person soon.
blacke90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2019, 01:47 AM   #115
redsubby
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjp061987 View Post

I am with you on "automatic" text.
redsubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2019, 02:06 AM   #116
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Nice video, Code case still looks too round even from side glances, Octagon needed more definition to be not so generic. Lacquer dials look nice but very shiny. Blue is more like navy, bit dull. White looks sterile and like a mall watch.

15500 anthracite/grey dial looks nice, blue looks a bit greyish, more like a Genta blue.

44s on camos look interesting, thinking about brown for my RG, altho green and blue are nicer.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote