The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 January 2019, 02:46 PM   #91
mmmmp
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Wimbledon DJ41
A really good idea, it's somewhat old fashioned, would be: go try them both on, see which one you like more (Maybe take pix) and go home and give it some thought.

Then go back, try both again and you'll know which one is for you. Opinions on such a personal item are fun and interesting but ultimately it's your decision.

Good luck, it's a tough call.
Mark

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
mmmmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2019, 01:11 AM   #92
Famz_01
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP and Rolex
olive all day. It is the only watch in my collection that I appreciate more every time I wear it. Dial is stunning also the contrast is much nicer than having the rose gold on brown which really has no contrast
Famz_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2019, 03:24 AM   #93
datejustrms
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Flip a coin. Both of those dials are tremendous.
datejustrms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2019, 04:28 AM   #94
DownTime
Banned

Watch: AP RO 15300 Blue
Olive! Gotta celebrate that 60th anniversary!
DownTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2019, 06:12 AM   #95
cure
"TRF" Member

I have green which is amazing especially in the direction of light. Go ahead with green.
cure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2019, 09:53 AM   #96
rcsami
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor MilSub 9401
The green face must look stunning in person!

Sent from my SM-N960N using Tapatalk
rcsami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2019, 02:50 AM   #97
Famz_01
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP and Rolex
No chance chocolate is more popular than the green, every time I go on much Instagram feeds and go under explore all I see are pics of the rg olive dial. I prefer it MUCH MUCH more than the hulk I used to have. The pastel green is a no comparasion to the class that the olive sunburst dial gives off. Obviously this is my own opinion, but just sharing the feedback I receive when wearing my dd
Famz_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2019, 02:53 AM   #98
Rolexlover123
"TRF" Member

That Olive Green is special. Chocolate is not bad either. Either way, you can't go wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwjez14 View Post
Well it looks like I want to
Get back in the DD40 game. I had a yellow gold black face. I am leaning toward either rose gold now chocolate face or green face. Members opinions on which one and photos please. I really like both but can’t lean towards one or the other more. Both are about the same price. New pieces. Go ! Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rolexlover123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2019, 04:24 AM   #99
Oakley12
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR / DJ41
I didn't think I would appreciate the green face.......right up until i actually saw it in person. Sold 100%. The green face on the DD is simply stunning. stands out, yet subtle elegance.
Oakley12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2019, 04:26 PM   #100
NWNL
"TRF" Member

Watch: 228235 ROMAN WHITE
I just recently bought the Rosé DD with white deconstruct Roman dial and I love it....
NWNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2019, 04:48 PM   #101
Justindo
"TRF" Member

I like both with the rose gold but I'd definitely go green with the Roman numerals.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2019, 04:52 PM   #102
timeldn
"TRF" Member

Green RG
timeldn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2019, 02:27 AM   #103
Fresh_1
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116520
In the rose gold I prefer the chocolate with deconstructed romans. I think
rose gold works very well with chocolate. That being said I like the green too.
Fresh_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2019, 09:02 AM   #104
rcsami
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor MilSub 9401
I'd go with the green!

Sent from my SM-N960N using Tapatalk
rcsami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2019, 09:49 AM   #105
JParm
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sond86 View Post
Oh wow we have the same favorites

Gmt
Hulk
Dd 40 rg choc!
3 of the best!
Old 8 February 2019, 12:07 PM   #106
Rolex.c6
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller 116600
That olive green is something else. Love it on both the rose and the white gold DD.
Rolex.c6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2019, 12:14 PM   #107
lecorsaire
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
You want the rose gold olive anniversary dial DD40. That watch is simply stunning. Perhaps not the most versatile configuration but it looks so awesome in person.
Old 8 February 2019, 12:26 PM   #108
darwin95
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yourself
real tough one. I love both.
If I could only have one of the two, it would be the green..
darwin95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2019, 12:32 PM   #109
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
If you want lume, the brown stick dial is the way to go. If not, green romans is the way to go. Far more popular, and better resale.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2019, 12:40 PM   #110
peterpl
Banned

Did you decide yet? Its a tough one. LOL

Since you already have a Hulk I would strongly suggest you dont get another green dialed watch. Thats from my own personal opinion and mistakes I did in the past which cost me a lot of money to rectify.

Anyway here is a wristshot

peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2019, 12:57 PM   #111
Rolexlover123
"TRF" Member

Curious as to how much of a depreciation hit did you take when you traded in your PM DD 40s? I eventually may trade in mine for a Platinum upgrade, but I hear you take a bloodbath when it comes to Gold trade-ins. Seems like you did a lot of trade-ins, what was your experience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpl View Post
I went through this dilemma last year for months and months. Let me tell you my perspective from an owner of both watches. I've had several people PM me actually regarding this same choice numerous times because they knew I owned both. :)

They are both very very nice. I ended up with both because I loved both so much however after a while I ended up flipping the green dial for a YG Motif dial.

Few notes that influenced my decision. Hope I can be of assistance. :)

* The chocolate is more special to me because this dial is only reserved for the RG versions.
* The Olive green is available in RG, WG and also in Platinum although I never seen anyone buy the platinum version.
* The legibility of both is not the best. They both are difficult to be seen in the night and during the day the legibility is about the same.
* The green dial looks awesome in some light - however I felt that in other lighting conditions it wasn't that flattering.
* The green is not as deep colored as the Hulk green. To some that's good and to others that's bad. Its less in your face.
* The green sunburst is nice but I found it that in direct sunlight the sunburst is not as nice as the chocolate dial
* The choco dial has a deep color and in direct sunlight the sunburst on this thing is crazy. I've never seen chocolate dial sunburst like this before.
* If you already have a Hulk or another green dialed watch then I think having another is probably not a good idea. I would choose the Choco or another dial color.

In the end choose what you love. I ended up trading the Olive dial for a YG DD with Silver Motif dial. I just felt that 2 rose gold DD40s was too much and I badly wanted a YG DD40 as that I honestly believe is the first DD anyone should get is Yellow Gold. Rose Gold can come later as I think long term rose wont stand the test of time.

Anyway here are some pictures to help you choose. Some in direct sunlight showing the sunburst and others showing the detail of the dial

Gooduck man. Either one is a beautiful watch. Just make sure you consider what you already have in your collection and try not to double up or overlap too much which was my mistake as well. You'll love either one you choose. Cheers
Old 8 February 2019, 01:17 PM   #112
peterpl
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexlover123 View Post
Curious as to how much of a depreciation hit did you take when you traded in your PM DD 40s? I eventually may trade in mine for a Platinum upgrade, but I hear you take a bloodbath when it comes to Gold trade-ins. Seems like you did a lot of trade-ins, what was your experience?
Nah I didnt lose much or if at all on my trade in. I traded my used RG for a BNIB YG one. It was a very fair deal.

You just have to buy well in the first place. If you buy at MSRP then yes your gonna get hosed on trade/sale. If you buy with a decent discount in the first place you will be fine even with precious metal pieces.

What I mean when I spent a lot of money is that I bought items in the past that overlapped too much with other models. (i.e) too many rose gold pieces or too many with the same dial color etc....now if you do that enough times then yes small depreciation of $2k-$3k each time starts to add up if you do this multiple times.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2019, 01:36 PM   #113
jeffnnj
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsmaven20 View Post
I much prefer the olive green dial.

Something to keep in mind with dark dials that have no lume on the markers and hands, they can tend to disappear at times depending on the lighting making it difficult to read the time.

It may not matter with the DD40...the watch is so gorgeous that you’ll probably just stare at it and not care about the time at all!
Not entirely true. Chocolate diagonal motif has lumed hands and markers.
jeffnnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2019, 01:42 PM   #114
michael.michael
"TRF" Member

Watch: your back
Green
michael.michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2019, 02:07 PM   #115
Rolexlover123
"TRF" Member

Good to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpl View Post
Nah I didnt lose much or if at all on my trade in. I traded my used RG for a BNIB YG one. It was a very fair deal.

You just have to buy well in the first place. If you buy at MSRP then yes your gonna get hosed on trade/sale. If you buy with a decent discount in the first place you will be fine even with precious metal pieces.

What I mean when I spent a lot of money is that I bought items in the past that overlapped too much with other models. (i.e) too many rose gold pieces or too many with the same dial color etc....now if you do that enough times then yes small depreciation of $2k-$3k each time starts to add up if you do this multiple times.