The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Watch Reviews

Old 30 July 2013, 12:33 AM   #1
Eddie1
"TRF" Member

Icon20 A Brief, Solely Aesthetic Review of the Rolex Explorer II

Entirely disinterested in the mechanics of the matter, i.e. the automatic movement, and largely disinterested in the history of the watch, except where it plays into my interest in how markets and marketing develop, I have reviewed the aesthetics of my new Rolex Explorer II with an eye to helping the prospective buyer. For the lazy man disinclined to reading: yes, this is something you now want.

General Impression

This is a perfect watch for anyone within the following paradox (a description of myself, so obviously I am very happy with this watch, but also I am sure a description of many others):

* A pathological preference for the Rolex brand
* An inescapable dislike of the smaller, older Rolex watches based on their apparently diminutive size

In addition to

* A desire to avoid anything too flashy
* A love of durability in a watch, over something that needs to be treated like a lady

In short, I believe the Rolex Explorer II represents a very intelligent development in the marketing of Rolex, with the outcome that the Rolex Explorer II (REII) sports an aesthetic that will thrill those at whom said marketing is aimed (myself) but perhaps not quite capture the imagination of those at whom it is not, or those who have smaller wrists/hands. For the latter, there are many others. For the former, I think REII is the only show in town.

My initial impression, personally, was therefore joy: joy that Rolex have finally made something that doesn't look too small on my wrist (or too big, RE: the DeepSea) and joy that the watch is something that I can strap on and forget about, regardless of suit or t-shirt scenarios. I certainly won't be falling in love with more than one lady and I feel the same about this sort of kit - the romance of the matter is having "your" watch, not a collection. For me, it doesn't get much better than this, especially after years of simply not wanting to buy a 39mm or 40mm Rolex while at the same time lusting after the one and only Rolex. Personally, I blame Sean Connery in Goldfinger.
More generally, then, I made reference above to size. how I disliked the size of those watches that did fit - the Omega Planet Ocean 45.5mm is a handsome beastie, as is the Rolex DeepSea at I believe c. 44mm, but both would distort my shirt cuffs and generally draw too much attention to my choice of watch. The new Rolex GMT Master II, when it came out, seemed to present a solution to the (first world) problem, but the shiny centre links left me cold.

Step in the REII. Size? Perfect. Brushed steel? Perfect. Second time zone? Very useful (I have family predominantly in two time zones). The only choice was white or black - I slept on it and chose black. The black hands on the white dial were a real temptation. Beautiful really. But for me, black dials are synonymous with Rolex and the black dial version simply seemed more masculine.

Personally, I couldn't be happier. A working professional in an international institution, I deal with many and varied stakeholders. The REII is just right. Not too much, not too little. In short, its quality speaks for itself and it is the quality and beauty, rather than gimmicks or gold, that make this Rolex what it is: understated luxury, the best possible kind.

Bezel: Numbers and Steel Effect

One of the more pleasurable aspects of the Explorer II, among many, are the jet-back, engraved numbers that compose the brushed, stainless steel bezel. These numbers are bold, even under the protective plastic that the watch is displayed in, but when that plastic is removed they are breath-taking. Don't forget that when you are looking at the watch in the store, at a new Rolex that is, there is this layer of plastic across much of the watch. You're not getting the true intention of Mr Rolex's artistic creation while this plastic is on, something very apparent not only in terms of the numbers mentioned above, but also the brushed steel of the bezel. In the case of the latter, Rolex has created a subtle, alluring and classy sun-ray effect in the way the metal has been brushed. This effect is unseen in normal light, but very much jumps out of the watch when it is in normal or brilliant light. Lines of lighter light move across the bezel in tiny fine lines and larger pools of light, while at no time seeming "shiny". This is something that I think has to be seen to be appreciated in full, tricky until the plastic is removed.

The Markers and Hands

The markers and hands are a gently creamy white (and a brilliant blue in the dark, although I generally try to marry dark time with sleep time so am not that bothered about how bright the illumination may or may not be) with a light metallic surround (either white gold or steel, I've heard different things and have yet to read the manual in any detail). The most interesting thing about the markers and hands in person isn't the "floating hands" effect I've read about in the online forums but can't see - instead it is how the markers and hands have three very different visual effects depending on the light: 1) in dull or indirect light, the surrounds of the markers and hands show a dark-steel colour, lending the watch a sense of being up to no good in a late night Parisian parlour, possibly with cards and cigars involved, definitely with cocktails. Very satisfying... 2) As soon as the hands catch the light, however, they light up into a light-silver colour, instantly making the second hand appear with far more prominence as if by magic and producing a sporty, bubbly-quaffing, noon at the races effect. Very exciting... 3) In bright light, and at certain angles therein, the markers seem as white as can be and the watch seems wanting of an adventure, presumably somewhere with more of the same lighting conditions. All of this speaks to the marvelous quality of the watch, and at no time do any of these transitions seem out of place: they seem natural and remaining with the understated nature of the watch and, for severe want of a better word, extremely Rolexy.

Bracelet

Three words on the bracelet, followed by more than three words on the bracelet: chunky, solid, tapered. It's a thing of quite some joy for a number of reasons. The first is comfort. It works very well in concert with the flat case back to provide for a watch that, while somewhat heavy, can be worn for 24 hours without any discomfort whatsoever. The bracelet is also brushed, to catch and quash the light and to avoid any tacky shiny look; nonetheless that captured light is shown off in bands of light and dark moving across the bracelet as you move your wrist. Something once again that has to be seen to be appreciated. The bracelet is also tapered, being thinner the further away from the watch face it travels. This has a very, very satisfying effect, not least because the effort put into making the links just perfect to this end is quite clear: they match as separate pieces of steel into a perfectly fluid line. This is one of the more obvious elements of superior quality in this watch and looks very classy. Finally, the clasp is flawless: big, solid, but perfectly proportioned to the bracelet and the watch. Add in a 5mm easy adjust function and you're a happy man.

Arrow Hand

Some may not like the orange of the second hour hand, that which denotes 24 hours. I love it. It's also extremely useful.

Final Thoughts

I don't see how Rolex could have done much better here. Very highly recommended. The only choice is black or white.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sun Ray Bezel.jpg (59.5 KB, 6094 views)
File Type: jpg Arrow hand.jpg (50.7 KB, 6078 views)
Eddie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2013, 01:21 AM   #2
A.I.
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LV
.......I'm shallow too :)

Thanks for the excellent review and I love your angle.

Over 90% of people know whether or not they are going to make their intended big purchase in the first 10 seconds of looking at it........ It only took me 2

I'm waiting on my white Explorer II to land later this week - can't wait.
A.I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2013, 01:40 AM   #3
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
great choice, my favorite current model!
Old 31 July 2013, 02:25 AM   #4
mtb
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sky/Sea/Land
well written and I concur with every point you have made, except I went for white as the hands don't feel "chopped off" :)
mtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2013, 02:47 AM   #5
Eddie1
"TRF" Member

Thank you for all the replies guys! I'll take some more pictures soon

Seems to me this model will be a winner - and yes, the white dial version's hands are one of it's strongest points. I heard some people didn't like the black hands - I loved them!
Old 31 July 2013, 02:04 PM   #6
WilliamFoley

Watch: Timex MF17 (gifted
Cool review you got out there..thanks for sharing..don't you think that pictures didn't do justice to the review.If you could post some more nice pictures of that watch..i'd really appreciate that.
WilliamFoley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2013, 02:40 PM   #7
samsmart
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Tint
Great review man.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
samsmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2013, 03:45 PM   #8
Eddie1
"TRF" Member

Icon20 More pictures

Sure, my pleasure. Here are some more pictures of my new baby!

I'm happy to take pictures at request too, or receive questions if you have any about the watch. Wrist shot.jpg

lume.jpg

Buddha Rolex.jpg

Wrist 2.jpg
Old 31 July 2013, 03:49 PM   #9
Eddie1
"TRF" Member

Icon20 Sorry that was too small

Wrist 2.jpg

Wrist 3.jpg Sorry those were too small

Last edited by Eddie1; 31 July 2013 at 03:53 PM.. Reason: Adding pictures
Old 7 August 2013, 06:52 AM   #10
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

Nice review - thanks!
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2013, 03:59 PM   #11
Cc1966
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Sea...
Nice lume shot.
Cc1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2013, 05:29 AM   #12
FlockOfMyles
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II
Lovely review, much more subjective and personal than most reviews you happen upon. Thanks for a riveting read! I got my Exp II 16570 in white, it's a bit smaller but then again, I have a chicken wrist. My only complaint is the lume, I wish that it had the Super Luminova in blue.
FlockOfMyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2013, 07:20 AM   #13
TimeOnMyHands
Banned

Watch: 16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtb View Post
well written and I concur with every point you have made, except I went for white as the hands don't feel "chopped off" :)
I completely agree. Additionally - why did Rolex paint the base of those chopped hands a gloss black while the dial/face is a matte black? They should match colors (gloss value) if the intention is to create a ghost hand look. Gloss over gloss or matte over matte...
TimeOnMyHands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2013, 12:49 PM   #14
JupiterRLX
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS Richard Lange
I love this review. My choice was the white face but you can't go wrong with REII black or white
JupiterRLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2013, 06:20 AM   #15
Travelller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my sig. ;)
The REII is clearly your Goldilocks - not too big, not too small, lively but not flashy, ... congrats! Thanks for sharing your opinions and observations of this very fine watch
Panerai 111 217 233
Rolex 16600 126600
Seiko SBGA125 SBDX001 SLA017 SLA025 SLA033
Tudor 5B GMT
Zénith A386ME
Other Mühle Glashütte S.A.R. Flieger Chronoswiss Tora
Travelller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2013, 12:15 PM   #16
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

The Explorer II has been growing on me, i think i am approaching love.
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2013, 12:51 AM   #17
loony
"TRF" Member

Watch: it,it's Daytona SS
Great review, !!
loony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2013, 10:07 PM   #18
Eddie1
"TRF" Member

Icon7

Thank you everyone who replied, I must say, I've fallen ever more in love with the machine myself.

Goldilocks is right - the balance here is perfect. I've caught people looking at it, clearly thinking "is that...?" which is perfect because I don't want to be to OTT. However, it's also got presence - heavy and large without being the PO or DS.

It's also incredibly versatile, something I wouldn't have realised before owning it for a while. It looks great in a t-shirt/jeans combo - and in a suit just as good.

Really cannot recommend enough!!

I'd also like to say a really big thank you to my wife who gave me this watch after ten years together (we're teenage sweethearts)! She really knows how to make a guy feel special!
Old 20 August 2013, 02:13 AM   #19
BLACKHORSE 6
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex SS Daytona
Great review.

I think that there's a lot to like with the Explorer II, but the one thing that's off for me is the hour hand. I know the "Mercedes" style hour hand is an iconic trademark of Rolex heritage, but I think this watch would look amazing if they had kept hour hand straight like the ref 1665 Explorer II.

But that's just my opinion and this watch is still on my wish list.
BLACKHORSE 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2013, 03:58 AM   #20
Eddie1
"TRF" Member

Could be! I think it is pretty much perfect either way, but I would say that.

Anyone else own or want to own this watch in white or black?
Old 10 September 2013, 01:19 AM   #21
Savio

My next wishlist after subc ND . Still like the white version better tho :)
Savio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2013, 01:03 PM   #22
Mikster
"TRF" Member

I agree with the OP. I've had mine (black as well) for about 5 months, and I can't stop looking at it. It's my daily wearer, except when I play hockey!
And it feels great on my wrist. The band is HEAVY and solid, unlike the lighter Breitling or even Tag watch bands.
Loved it at first sight, when I saw their ad in Men's Journal magazine about a year ago.
Mikster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2013, 11:07 AM   #23
TheButcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060 & 16570
great watch .
TheButcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2013, 03:27 PM   #24
adamlea
"TRF" Member

Watch: Exp II 216570 Blk
Bravo - great review. It's always interesting to read about why someone else chose the same watch I did - the Exp II 216570 in black. Not only do I appreciate the homage the 216570 pays to the 1655, a true classic, but I also like the maxi dial and the 42mm case - nothing but understated utility wrapped in a highly legible package.
adamlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2013, 01:11 AM   #25
Eddie1
"TRF" Member

Thanks to all who replied! I'm happy to answer questions or take request pics.
Old 22 September 2013, 07:31 AM   #26
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
Some very good points in the review - would agree with a lot of what is said - definitely one of the nicest in current Rolex line up, and probably up there with the Deepsea and SubC. It was a toss up between the latter and the Explorer 42mm this time last year for me, and I went for the Explorer on black dial. It was the first new Rolex I had bought as my others re vintage. The bigger dial and case take a little getting us to but soon grows on you - looks like a future classic and probably amongst the last of th tool watches. Would recommend to all!
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2013, 05:25 AM   #27
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Nice review, thanks. I too prefer the black dial as the white dial made the watch wear quite big, like a 43mm.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2013, 10:38 AM   #28
myclue
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
well written! love your piece!
myclue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2013, 07:20 PM   #29
Jponline

Well Written .
Jponline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2013, 12:48 PM   #30