The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Watch Reviews

Old 7 April 2008, 08:45 AM   #1
petespendthrift

4 months of owning a Steel GMT-IIC

When I first bought this watch I was pleased with it but had a nagging doubt about it being a bit too flashy and bling.

This feeling grew until at about the two week point of ownership. I felt quite strongly that it should not have shiny centre links (or that rehaut with the ROLEXROLEX rubbish and also the inelegant "fat" case). I though I would never bond with it and hankered after the old GMT but with a better clasp and larger crown but with no other changes. I came very close to selling it and just keeping my Sea-Dweller.

I never did sell it (and actually ended up selling the SD recently). Four months on and it has slowly but surely grown on me. Far from being careful to avoid scratching the "impractical" polished centre links, I have just ignored them and worn the watch for what it was designed to do. The first few scratches (although very fine) really stood out on the mirror finish but were then joined by so many others that although still polished, it has really mellowed. It now has a slightly duller appearance that I like as much as the old all brushed look and no individual scratches now show. Also the case now looks normal to my eyes (but any bigger would be ostentatious and impracticable on my wrist). I have realised that the rehaut engraving is fine detail that you only notice when examining the watch very closely and never really see in normal usage (rather like the water mark on paper currency or good stationary).

Other features of the watch that I never had a problem with that really help make me like it as much as I do, are the slimness of the case and it's flat back - the watch is really very comfortable to wear (especially with the half link extension in the clasp - for hot days). Also the crystal is flush with the bezel and the cyclops date window is anti reflective and much easier to read than the old type. The trip-lock crown is the prefect size and never digs into the back of your hand. The clasp is beautifully designed and engineered and the non-rattly solid centre links are a huge improvement. The maxi dial is also an improvement and I like the scratch proof bezel moving in one hour intervals - e.g. a 4 hour time change equals 4 clicks with no ambiguity or scope for error (worth sacrificing some improvised minute timing capability for - after all it is designed to be a GMT watch). Finally I really like the green hand and writing. In most light the green writing blends into the black of the dial making it look cleaner and less cluttered. Likewise the green hand looks understated and I now prefer it to red.

So metaphorically speaking the new shoes I did not like have faded and worn in to become trusted favourites and I will definitely be keeping my GMT-IIC. Although the real tool watches of today are Suunto's and G-Shocks (because you simply replace them if they fail in the line of duty) the GMT-C is a very comfortable, good looking, robust and practical dress watch that can be worn for almost any activity. In contrast the new Sea-Dweller coming out soon looks to be far more about fashion than any improvement in useful practicality. I am guessing few people will find it comfortable enough in weight or under a shirt cuff to be a daily wearer (and professional divers wearing it...um!)

Until the updated sub date comes out in stainless steel to increase the choice, I think the GMT-IIC is Rolex's best improvement in decades.
petespendthrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2008, 09:59 AM   #2
jasonbellevue
"TRF" Member

Good review Pete.

Where are the pics?
Old 7 April 2008, 12:48 PM   #3
timackerman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbellevue View Post
Good review Pete.

Where are the pics?
Agreed on both counts!
Old 10 April 2008, 10:59 PM   #4
f16570
"TRF" Member

Watch: Exp II White Face
You never know until you have tried it. Thanks for posting.
Old 11 April 2008, 12:13 AM   #5
DSJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step!
Great review Peter. Thanks for sharing. I agree that normal wear will give the polished links a (not unpleasant) "patina" which mitigates the scratches that you first get when the watch is new or recently reserviced. I also agree that the 1-hour increments are appropriate for a GMT watch, although I suspect a lot of us use the bezel for parking meters and the like, hence the complaints we hear.

I also agree that Rolex watches are not really "tool watches" in the contemporary sense anymore, and have been thinking about starting a thread with this topic.
DSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2008, 05:26 AM   #6
spogehead
"TRF" Member

Great, honest review and very helpful to a wannabe GMT IIc owner

Thanks
Old 13 April 2008, 05:14 AM   #7
Terry Newton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex TT GMT II c
Nice review. The watch is a daily wearer for me and I love the comfort of it. I have mine adjusted so that it feels like it is a part of my wrist anyway so there is no slop. I don't even notice it is on anymore. The accuracy is amazing.

Here's to a fine watch and we should have a GMT-Master II c club for the SS and TT versions. FINE WATCH

Terry Newton

"Z" SS Date Submariner
"Z" TT GMT-Master IIc
Terry Newton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2008, 12:17 AM   #8
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, of course!
Excellent review, Pete!

Personally, I went the other way, though, selling my SS GMT IIc to get an SD again since I simply couldn't get used to the bling of the GMT IIc. It's still a very nice watch, however, just not for me.

LocTite 221: The Taming Of The Screw...
SPACE-DWELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2008, 12:18 AM   #9
frostie
1,000,000th PostMember

Nice review

I enjoyed reading it

I just love my GMT II C

GMT - Master II C - 116710 LN
frostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2008, 09:30 AM   #10
flumazenil
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tog TT GMT TT SD4K
Nice review. Your comments are spot on. I am still on the fence on my TT GMT. I love the way it looks and turning the bezel just reflects the quality of the mechanism. If it were a little smaller and less I would definitely keep it.
flumazenil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2008, 11:24 AM   #11
astcell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116713
I do like it, I saw it today. I have the TT but may get the SS version.
astcell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2008, 06:19 PM   #12
mking0714
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pop Watch
I've learned to raise my left hand slightly higher just so it doesn't scratch the keyboard, table...etc.....I find it less stressful on getting scratches and cheaper to not get them polished all the time. Good Luck!.
mking0714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2008, 04:12 AM   #13
Texsubmariner
"TRF" Member

Watch: SSGMTc
Great review! I was like you, having bought the GMTc, then disliked it, wore the Sea Dweller. Now I love the GMT, and it is my daily wearer. The SD is in the box for now, probably will be passed to my son some day.
Wife's SS WG MOP Ladies DJ Z series
Texsubmariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2008, 03:41 AM   #14
GMTII Owner
"TRF" Member

Watch: S/S GMT Master IIc
Pete - excellent review. I had concerns about the polished center links but after two months of ownership, I am over those concerns. I wear the watch daily and it has become a part of my daily activities (except showering and sleeping).

I love my IIc and am so happy with my selection. I'm glad to read others share my excitement and love for such a beautiful watch.

Once again, thanks for sharing and excellent review.

John
Old 13 May 2008, 02:32 PM   #15
jands8916

Hi Pete. For all the specific concerns you noted, you could consider downgrading to a ss GMTII. After being in a love affair with my non-C GMT, the IIc offers everything I've been missing... all of the bits you noted, thicker, beefier case and polished links provides more presence on the arm. Though I would prefer the red 4th hand on the new IIc. But, I am happy you kept it and remained in the IIc club!

Cheers!
jands8916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2008, 05:57 AM   #16
Brandonsan

GREAT review ! I have the same watch and I am now thinking of selling it so I can buy a Daytona.
Brandonsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2008, 06:03 AM   #17
warrenmich
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMTII C
Dont Do It!!!!

KEEP YOUR GMTIIC!!

GREAT REVIEW BTW. I WENT TO THE AD BASED ON THE INFORMATION I GATHERED HERE! Both the Price increase and the pics were enough reason for me to investigate a little further and fall in love with my LN!
Old 14 May 2008, 06:37 AM   #18
oneillba
"TRF" Member

Watch: My beloved TT DJ
Yours is my next watch. Thanks for the review. Save, save save!

My Trusty TT DJ
oneillba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2008, 02:58 PM   #19
taylor
"TRF" Member

please post some photos bro-bro
taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2008, 12:26 AM   #20
Kent

Fine review!

As a TT IIc owner of just 3 weeks, I continue to search out others' views and opinions regarding the watch. I found your observations most interesting and informative, Pete. While initially zeroing in on a TT Sub, after researching and learning of all the improvements in the IIc, I switched. The concerns many note, e.g., polished center link, bling factor, etc., were, to me, de minimus compared with its enhancements, IMHO. Besides with a TT, who am I to worry about "bling.!!" :lol

Great review, thanks.
Kent
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2008, 01:20 AM   #21
Terry Newton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex TT GMT II c
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent View Post
As a TT IIc owner of just 3 weeks, I continue to search out others' views and opinions regarding the watch. I found your observations most interesting and informative, Pete. While initially zeroing in on a TT Sub, after researching and learning of all the improvements in the IIc, I switched. The concerns many note, e.g., polished center link, bling factor, etc., were, to me, de minimus compared with its enhancements, IMHO. Besides with a TT, who am I to worry about "bling.!!" :lol

Great review, thanks.
Kent
You made a wise decision Oh Enlightened One. I bow to your intelligence and almighty wiseness.

From a fellow TT GMT IIc owner:

Terry Newton

"Z" SS Date Submariner
"Z" TT GMT-Master IIc
Terry Newton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2008, 02:41 AM   #22
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
Nice one, good job
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2008, 10:45 PM   #23
aelvin
"TRF" Member

Great Review!!! I will be picking up mine today!! (ordered 2 weeks ago.)
aelvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2008, 03:32 AM   #24
aelvin
"TRF" Member

loving every seconds of this beauty....
aelvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2008, 04:38 AM   #25
shedlock2000
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16753; Bellini Dia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPACE-DWELLER View Post
Excellent review, Pete!

Personally, I went the other way, though, selling my SS GMT IIc to get an SD again since I simply couldn't get used to the bling of the GMT IIc. It's still a very nice watch, however, just not for me.

Excellent review, and youve had yours around the same length of time as i have.... However i have followed BO, and am trying to flip it or trade it now. Though i concur with some of the things you have said, especially in the bracelet, crown and cyclops, im still heading back to GMT II or root beer (if i can pull off thiss TT)

SS Submariner no date 1992 (sold); SS GMT II 2007 (sold); SS GMT II C 2008 ('M' series) (sold); SS Sub C 2011 (sold); BB GMT 1971 (sold); Omega 50th GMT
shedlock2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2008, 10:11 PM   #26
scottjal
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II
Nice little writeup. I have a SS IIc on the way to replace my SS II I have now. I have many of the same reservations, in particular I do use the bezel for a timer and leave the time zone changing to the GMT quick set 12h hand. So hopefully I won't dislike that change too much. For me the time zone changing is much more important than the timer, it's only a crude timer anyway.

The green hand and writing I have come around 180° on that opinion. My current GMTII seems to have that hand pop out there and I used to really like that. But at the same time I do very much admire the no date Submariner for the clean no clutter dial. Lately sometimes I catch myself admiring the dial when the minute hand is covering the red 24h hand and thinking that looks very good.

Also of the opinion that it would be nice to not have the polished center links, but even though I really admire the old flip-lock clasp I am very much looking forward to all the improvements in this new clasp and the solid linked band.

Pictures Sunday if I can get the camera stuff together.
scottjal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2008, 06:40 AM   #27
hooked

One of these days I wil get this watch! Just beautiful and great review!
hooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2008, 08:26 AM   #28
Trimmer2
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO QP SS Blue
I received my ss GMT IIc this week and have been having a hard time taking it off my wrist for the Daytona! I guess it's the new car vs 10+ yo Daytona that WAS my everyday wear. I think it's beautiful and definately not too much bling. My buddy has the the ss Yachtmaster with the polished center links and it too looks great.

I'm keeping it :)

Gold Daytona Strap "W"
SS GMT IIc "M"
Trimmer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2008, 08:19 AM   #29
dro57
"TRF" Member

Watch: Waiting for new PO
Great review.

I just took delivery of the SS GMT IIc today and have found it better than any of the subs & explorers I've owned in the past. I still love the old blue TT sub I used to own. Maybe I'll get a TT GMT IIc if they make it in blue.
dro57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2008, 01:22 PM   #30
Tomrose11

Watch: Submariner
I personally do not own one. (saving up) maybe the wife will do somthing around the holidays. Regardless, I do have two associates who own the Stainless Ceramic GMT the other the two-tone, After viewing both of these watches for some time, I am convinced that this is the most amazing watch Rolex has introduced to date. Anyone agree or disagree, sate your case?
Tomrose11 is offline   Reply With Quote