The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 9 August 2018, 05:06 AM   #91
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
The key here is I do not think many 5170P are being delivered. They will be great values down the road to be sure. I did not think there was much discount to be had on them given the low allocation.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2018, 05:26 AM   #92
gmstevenson
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP, Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
The key here is I do not think many 5170P are being delivered. They will be great values down the road to be sure. I did not think there was much discount to be had on them given the low allocation.
I think shipments may have ramped up recently. I've seen examples in the case at three ADs in the past 30 days.
gmstevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2018, 05:45 AM   #93
pam66
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam66 View Post
i was offered a new one for 55K euros, tax excluded. that is 10% discount i suppose.
sorry wrong, 65K euros! at 55 i buy
pam66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2018, 01:21 PM   #94
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
My thoughts on the 5170p.

The PCs and PCCs are gone from my collection, this one remains. I chased and had grand complications, but ultimately they became too much. I wanted complicated yet simple. Patek PCCs are special and absolute mechanical marvels, but the 5170p brings together the creativity and mechanical genius of Patek in a more simple manner. It has everything I want in a dress watch from Patek. A beautiful in-house movement visible through the clear case back. The most stunning blue-to-black dial. The understated yet elegant baguette diamond markers. A simple but thoughtful and perfectly-sized case. And, it’s in platinum. No days, months or years. No moon phase. Just wind it, set it, and go. Winding it daily brings a sense of connectedness with the watch. It’s necessary and enjoyable. It is my favorite Patek.
Old 9 August 2018, 01:24 PM   #95
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2la View Post

The PCs and PCCs are gone from my collection, this one remains. I chased and had grand complications, but ultimately they became too much. I wanted complicated yet simple. Patek PCCs are special and absolute mechanical marvels, but the 5170p brings together the creativity and mechanical genius of Patek in a more simple manner. It has everything I want in a dress watch from Patek. A beautiful in-house movement visible through the clear case back. The most stunning blue-to-black dial. The understated yet elegant baguette diamond markers. A simple but thoughtful and perfectly-sized case. And, it’s in platinum. No days, months or years. No moon phase. Just wind it, set it, and go. Winding it daily brings a sense of connectedness with the watch. It’s necessary and enjoyable. It is my favorite Patek.
Very well written, thank you
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2018, 02:31 PM   #96
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

100% agreed.
sensui is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2018, 04:34 PM   #97
onmyhand
"TRF" Member

Watch: patek
Quote:

Very well said. Agree totally.
onmyhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2018, 08:20 PM   #98
OH2004
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Quote:

Hands down, I think 5170P is the most beautiful watch made by Patek.
OH2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2018, 07:05 AM   #99
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

tough to argue with this
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2018, 03:01 AM   #100
Pingparme
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mps354 View Post
tough to argue with this

For those who think the baguette diamonds are too sparkling, I wanted to share with you a JLC with metal indexes beveled in such a way that it catches light like a diamond. Have to see in real life, very close to the baguettes of the 5170P.

IMO, the baguettes on the 5170P really are so subtle, they just look like beveled white gold indexes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pingparme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2018, 05:29 AM   #101
JJ WA
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Well said! The 5170P is one of my grail watches. I wish I could have it ‘now’ - if only I was prepared to let go with some of my watches instead of keep growing the collection, it would be way easier to afford this beautiful P...
JJ WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2018, 08:46 AM   #102
iquit
"TRF" Member

Is there a glut of 5170P?

It seems like every AD has one available. I can buy from my AD for $77,000. I want to pull the trigger but the fact that every AD has one is certainly concerning. Any thoughts or advise as to either price or the “glut” factor?
iquit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2018, 09:02 AM   #103
Sam Philip
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by iquit View Post
It seems like every AD has one available. I can buy from my AD for $77,000. I want to pull the trigger but the fact that every AD has one is certainly concerning. Any thoughts or advise as to either price or the “glut” factor?
5170P is a very beautiful watch. I think 77000 USD which is equivalent to 60000 GBP is a good price for a 5170P from an AD.
Sam Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2018, 09:15 AM   #104
tom2517
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Then definitely don't buy it. It sounds you don't like it enough if you are concerned with it being readily available.
tom2517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2018, 11:49 AM   #105
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom2517 View Post
Then definitely don't buy it. It sounds you don't like it enough if you are concerned with it being readily available.

I quite admire the idea of being a careful purchaser actually... I say weigh all factors as anything approaching 100k is a fair amount of money for any watch. Best regards

Old 15 August 2018, 03:26 PM   #106
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Wow, that sounds a great discount for a wonderful piece - wish I was able to negotiate better!
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2018, 04:44 PM   #107
jcoltrane
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I love this sentiment, and you're right, as a dress watch you really can't do better. My problem is I don't suit up frequently and as someone that doesn't like watches collecting dust, it's not an easy watch to pull off doing something as mundane as ordering a burrito at Chipotle On the other hand, I'm comfortable wearing my 5320G essentially anywhere, because it packs a punch in a causal way. Doesn't mean I'm getting rid of my 5170P, not a chance, but I thought I'd offer my humble counterpoint.
jcoltrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2018, 05:04 PM   #108
jcoltrane
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
Wow, that sounds a great discount for a wonderful piece - wish I was able to negotiate better!
I wouldn't sweat it. I haven't negotiated for any of my Pateks, which hurts on occasion like the 5170P, but it's really easy for that math to balance in your favor when your AD offers you watches that are otherwise "impossible" to obtain at retail. eg. Anyone that had access to the 5650G are laughing all of the way to the bank, assuming they'd ever want to sell

I should also say that I actually think the 5170P anywhere near retail ends up an excellent value longer term. It's an absolutely extraordinary watch that Patek won't sell forever.
jcoltrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2018, 11:41 AM   #109
Pingparme
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
I wouldn't sweat it. I haven't negotiated for any of my Pateks, which hurts on occasion like the 5170P, but it's really easy for that math to balance in your favor when your AD offers you watches that are otherwise "impossible" to obtain at retail. eg. Anyone that had access to the 5650G are laughing all of the way to the bank, assuming they'd ever want to sell

I should also say that I actually think the 5170P anywhere near retail ends up an excellent value longer term. It's an absolutely extraordinary watch that Patek won't sell forever.

Just got my 5170P one hour ago. Absolutely love it! Same feeling as when I first saw it few months back before I pulled the trigger. When you totally enjoy a piece and entirely satisfied, other factors become somewhat irrelevant. For those who pulled the trigger on the 5170P, congratulations on a sublime watch! The blue dial is perfection and I love the diamond baguette indexes!

Pingparme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2018, 12:40 PM   #110
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

So damn good.
Old 17 August 2018, 01:00 PM   #111
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Congrats to everyone that owns one. It's a beauty and is my favorite current Patek available.

(No, I don't own one and want to make sure it doesn't sound like I am implying I do.)
Old 17 August 2018, 03:05 PM   #112
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingparme View Post
Just got my 5170P one hour ago. Absolutely love it! Same feeling as when I first saw it few months back before I pulled the trigger. When you totally enjoy a piece and entirely satisfied, other factors become somewhat irrelevant. For those who pulled the trigger on the 5170P, congratulations on a sublime watch! The blue dial is perfection and I love the diamond baguette indexes!

Big congrats on a magnificent watch.
Old 17 August 2018, 04:05 PM   #113
Sam Philip
Banned

Quote:

Beautiful watch, congrats!
Sam Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2018, 08:53 PM   #114
Hermann
"TRF" Member

Congrats to this unique piece!!
Hermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2018, 10:08 PM   #115
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Congratulations! It’s simply perfect! Wear and enjoy.
Old 18 August 2018, 12:26 AM   #116
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:

You say the PC and PCC became too much and sold them. My sense is the market demand for the PC and PCC watches has dropped substantially, save the limited vintage pieces. I think people no longer see the point. There seems to be a definite move to sport watches and simple clean watches which the pure chrono fits into.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2018, 01:11 AM   #117
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
You say the PC and PCC became too much and sold them. My sense is the market demand for the PC and PCC watches has dropped substantially, save the limited vintage pieces. I think people no longer see the point. There seems to be a definite move to sport watches and simple clean watches which the pure chrono fits into.

Agree. And by too much, I mean they (PCs and PCCs) were too complicated. They’re beautiful and incredible feats, but my collection is now more “simple”, and I couldn’t be happier. For the first time in a long while, I have no watch on my radar.

Starting to look at pens (cough cough, writing instruments) now, though... 🤦🏻*♂️
Old 18 August 2018, 01:52 AM   #118
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Agree. And by too much, I mean they (PCs and PCCs) were too complicated. They’re beautiful and incredible feats, but my collection is now more “simple”, and I couldn’t be happier. For the first time in a long while, I have no watch on my radar.

Starting to look at pens (cough cough, writing instruments) now, though... 🤦🏻*♂️
Was gonna say I was worried about you after the Platona relapse heh . Good to hear things are in sunnyland in terms of watches! Writing instruments huh.....the fun never stops.
Old 18 August 2018, 02:02 AM   #119
pam66
"TRF" Member

i tried the 5170P today again at my AD. super nice, even the diamond fit in well. but: it has been sitting there since december or november 2017....
pam66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2018, 02:40 AM   #120
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam66 View Post
i tried the 5170P today again at my AD. super nice, even the diamond fit in well. but: it has been sitting there since december or november 2017....
A good reason to negotiate with the AD for a killer price

The scarce supply of new watch reference initially followed by a period of abundance seem to follow a lot of Patek watches these days, especially at the upper end of the price spectrum. Buy a watch if you love it and the years of enjoyment on the wrist will make up for the "depreciation" over those years as well
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote