The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 9 January 2019, 03:16 AM   #1
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Let’s give Tudor their proper credit!

A couple disclaimers before I give my thoughts. I am a believer that the term tool watch is meant to mean a watch that was built to perform a specific function outside of regular timekeeping, and one that was “historically” used by people in certain lines of work or hobbies where these functions were needed.

All that said, I don’t think any of them are necessary anymore, but fun to talk about, collect, and use. Additionally, I have stated many times that Tudor is below Rolex in quality by design. It is intended to be an inferior brand, and a Tudor is not a Rolex. I am, however, an owner of a couple Tudor’s and feel they can stand on their own as fantastic watches that represent great value.

I am also a big believer that this out of control Rolex craziness that is going on right now is temporary, and it will soon return to normal. I also think there are many crazy prices on older pieces that will soon “correct”.

The more I pay attention to this craziness, the more I realize that Tudor has in many ways actually become the brand that caters to the “purist”. By purist, I am referring to collectors of tool watches. Titanium cases with HE valves, and bright lume on the bezels (Pelagos), while still making dive watches that are reminiscent of the features many miss about the old Rolex and Tudor watches like smaller cases, and chamfered lugs (Black Bay). Let’s also not forget the fantastic Heritage Chronographs.

While people anxiously await their turn to drop $10,000 on a new “Pepsi” with a plastic looking bezel, there is a 2 color GMT available now for a third of the price that is more reminiscent of the old watch, and it’s made by the same company!

This is not to start a debate about which is better, because I do think Rolex is superior. This is more of a thread to applaud Tudor and what they have been doing for the collectors out there. Not a lot of precious metals and gemstones...functional tool watches that are reminiscent of an era when people actually needed a watch!
Old 9 January 2019, 03:23 AM   #2
NJRolexFan
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Well said OP
NJRolexFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2019, 03:27 AM   #3
VanAdian
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSOTM
Sure, I do appreciate Tudor, and what they have accomplished in the shade of big brother. I have owned and experienced most, if not all, of their contemporary models, and am still searching for the one piece that works for me.
I just wish they would follow this kick-back retro style to its logical conclusion and make something smaller than 40mm, trimmer than 12mm, and without that slab like case (that is not a scvlaed down version of the bb case design). I find myself looking more and more at their vintage subs, but simply cannot justify dropping that amount of coin on a vintage Tudor.

"The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time." - B. Russell
VanAdian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2019, 03:40 AM   #4
jaySL350
"TRF" Member

Watch: BBG,Hulk,16013,DJB
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJRolexFan View Post
Well said OP
Yes +1;;
jaySL350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2019, 04:14 AM   #5
Locust
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Agree. I didn't appreciate the tudor gmt til I saw it in person. It's such a fantastic piece.
Locust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2019, 04:20 AM   #6
extra260
"TRF" Member

Tudor sells a watch that is 95% as good as Rolex for 30% of the cost. I think its only a matter of time before people catch on to this and the brand will become highly sought after like its big brother.
extra260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2019, 04:21 AM   #7
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Been singing this tune for quite some time.

Have to disagree on Tudor being below the quality of Rolex. Other than the use of more precious metals, purposely withholding stainless steel inventory, and an aggressive marketing campaign aimed at the most exclusive clientele, I think Tudor fit and finish are on par w/ Rolex. I'm sure many of the Rolex brand status seekers just stained their shorts reading that one.

And I also don't see the current Rolex paradigm as temporary or returning to normal as there never was a normal w/ Rolex.

Don’t get me wrong, not trying to equate the brands. They each have their place. Although I love my Rolex GMT II I feel more comfortable with Tudor and love the direction they've embarked on since 2010.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2019, 04:22 AM   #8
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

Lets give Tudor a proper sub-forum too. Why keep clubbering Rolex and tudor in the same forum together? Even Seiko has its own sub-forum. Filter out lots of traffic
oldman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2019, 04:25 AM   #9
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Definitely. The 58 is close for me I'm a buy... But I don't dig the gilt font on the insert.

They do many things right.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2019, 04:27 AM   #10
enginerd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
No complaints here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180910_092451.jpg (213.1 KB, 2020 views)
File Type: jpg 20180105_081816.resized.jpg (230.0 KB, 2010 views)
File Type: jpg Collection.jpg (230.8 KB, 2010 views)
enginerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2019, 04:32 AM   #11
whattimeyougot
"TRF" Member

Great post. Tudor is definitely on top of their game right now. I should say so myself. I type this with a Black Bay GMT on wrist. How many days till Basel ‘19?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
whattimeyougot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2019, 05:56 AM   #12
In-Cog-Neeto
"TRF" Member

Tudor are great. Both the gmt and the bb 79320N have stolen my heart

The Tudor bracelet is not as good as the current 116710. It doesn’t feel as perfect in fit or finish, and it would definitely benefit from the easylink as this is a great feature I use on a daily basis. When I look at my BLNR I am wow’d everytime by it’s beauty.

The tudors occupy a different spot. They wow me in a different way. In more of a utilitarian ‘tool’ watch way which is exactly how they should be

I suppose this fits with the whole ‘Rolex is re-positioning themselves as upper class’ theory. Their watches are becoming more jewellery with the polished links and flashy ceramics whereas Tudor are positioning nicely in the tool category

Incoherent Ramblings from a tool (watch wearer)
In-Cog-Neeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2019, 06:02 AM   #13
extra260
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enginerd View Post
No complaints here.
need info on your Blackbay Steel with the black bezel! that look hot. i love my steel but that black bezel really pops. The date complication is a must
extra260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2019, 06:10 AM   #14
derekhayden
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor BBGMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by whattimeyougot View Post
Great post. Tudor is definitely on top of their game right now. I should say so myself. I type this with a Black Bay GMT on wrist. How many days till Basel ‘19?!

X2....Couldn't care less about what Rolex is releasing at Basel this year but you bet I have my eye on what Tudor does and my AD on speed dial if I like it.
Don't get me wrong my Rolex has it's place, and that's been in the safe since getting my BBGMT in July.
derekhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2019, 06:45 AM   #15
vintageguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post
Been singing this tune for quite some time.

Have to disagree on Tudor being below the quality of Rolex. Other than the use of more precious metals, purposely withholding stainless steel inventory, and an aggressive marketing campaign aimed at the most exclusive clientele, I think Tudor fit and finish are on par w/ Rolex. I'm sure many of the Rolex brand status seekers just stained their shorts reading that one.

And I also don't see the current Rolex paradigm as temporary or returning to normal as there never was a normal w/ Rolex.

Don’t get me wrong, not trying to equate the brands. They each have their place. Although I love my Rolex GMT II I feel more comfortable with Tudor and love the direction they've embarked on since 2010.
dP

I know Dan has one of these. mine is a 94110 from the 70's. the ETA movement is as tough and accurate as anything else. the originality and
rareness of this watch make it sexier than any of my Rolexes. indeed, I sold my
Rolex sub & kept this one. everyone has a Sub, but only the lucky few have a Snowflake. JMHO.
vintageguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2019, 06:50 AM   #16
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageguy View Post

I know Dan has one of these. mine is a 94110 from the 70's. the ETA movement is as tough and accurate as anything else. the originality and
Rolex sub & kept this one. everyone has a Sub, but only the lucky few have a Snowflake. JMHO.
Actually, HAD one of those. Sold my beloved Snowflake a couple years ago. I was thrilled to have it and really enjoyed it's uniqueness compared to the Rolex Sub. But it was time for another enthusiast to enjoy it.

I'm sure you're enjoying that beauty.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2019, 06:54 AM   #17
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageguy View Post

That is a great piece!! I am enjoying the replies here
Old 9 January 2019, 06:57 AM   #18
TurboTim14
"TRF" Member

A snowflake sub is a thing of beauty! I would love to see its return at 2019 Basel.
TurboTim14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2019, 06:58 AM   #19
Brew
"TRF" Member

I think the BB bronze dial/bezel combo is just about as beautiful as a watch face can get.
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2019, 06:59 AM   #20
Maverick_1908
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Tudor is highly under priced... and Rolex overpriced. Draw your own conclusions.

Maverick_1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2019, 06:59 AM   #21
Ian Macdermott
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Better watch out this thread will be closed for heresy and sedition
Old 9 January 2019, 07:05 AM   #22
q8rolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman2005 View Post
Lets give Tudor a proper sub-forum too. Why keep clubbering Rolex and tudor in the same forum together? Even Seiko has its own sub-forum. Filter out lots of traffic
totally agree
q8rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2019, 07:08 AM   #23
Snow-Dweller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: collections change
I spent many years with no interest in Tudor. In part this was due to the snowflake hands. Than along came the GMT....

I love mine, and have learned to love the hands!

16803. 16570. 18038. 114300. BB58. GMW-B5000D.
Snow-Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2019, 07:24 AM   #24
mk2jag
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow-Dweller View Post
I spent many years with no interest in Tudor. In part this was due to the snowflake hands. Than along came the GMT....

I love mine, and have learned to love the hands!

Exactly!!!!
mk2jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2019, 07:29 AM   #25
rudestew
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD SD43 Mk1 50TH
Less is more i love my LHD
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_1808.jpeg (206.6 KB, 1803 views)
rudestew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2019, 09:01 AM   #26
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublovin View Post

Additionally, I have stated many times that Tudor is below Rolex in quality by design. It is intended to be an inferior brand, and a Tudor is not a Rolex.
There is nothing inferior about the Tudor watch brand. I hear this claim of "lower quality" from time to time on the forum, but have yet to hear somebody actually substantiate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post

dP
Well said, Dan.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2019, 09:34 AM   #27
Tiptac
"TRF" Member

I've been fortunate enough to own both Tudors and Rolex. And I do think that Rolex has better and more interesting surface finishing overall. But I can't justify paying the price difference anymore. If fact I just sold my last Rolex and only own a Tudor Pelagos at the moment. I'm thinking about getting the new 2018 seamaster though.
Tiptac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2019, 10:47 AM   #28
Mikegp
"TRF" Member

First Time Tudor owner and I have to agree with the sentiment. Great watch, great brand. Up to par with the best.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Mikegp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2019, 10:51 AM   #29
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Longtime Tudor fan here, vintage and new. I'm always more interested to see what Tudor offers at Baselworld than Rolex.
Old 9 January 2019, 10:54 AM   #30
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
I do believe that the Rolex are nicer watches. I also dislike the larger sizing that Tudor has embraced which seems more for the casual wearer imho. I've sold off all my Tudors and can't think of a reason why I'd want any of them over the watches I've retained.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote