The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 17 January 2019, 12:58 PM   #1
k1985
"TRF" Member

Zero discount on PM?

Hey guys,

I have been negotiating with a few ADs for a pretty hefty purchase of a PM piece. I have a 2 watch purchase history at one of the ADs and no real relationship with the others, outside of a soft referral from friends.

One AD that I have no purchase history with is willing to play ball on the price, but the others (including the one I have history with) have told me they will not touch the price (they say they will “see” about getting me an in-demand SS piece down the road). Am I just a terrible negotiator or has the market gone so haywire that PM pieces don’t even warrant a discount of any sort?

I am particularly surprised at the AD that I have bought from before. Have bought 2 pieces including a non-sport stainless model at full pop over the past year. I have built a little bit of rapport with the owner. Doesn’t feel like much of a “relationship”.

These ADs have made buying a PM piece a frustrating experience... I wonder if they would change their tune if I walked in cash in hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
k1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2019, 01:01 PM   #2
Starwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona - BLACK
Even in this market, you should be able to get a minimum of 15 percent off list. On all PM men’s models, more for women’s models. Only exception would be the silver dial Daytona on oysterflex.
Old 17 January 2019, 01:03 PM   #3
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Which PM piece are you looking to buy?

Andad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2019, 01:07 PM   #4
k1985
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
Which PM piece are you looking to buy?
Platinum DD 228206. The one AD's offer is actually a very legitimate option, so I'm not complaining too much.

I just find the other ADs not even willing to give a little perplexing.
k1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2019, 01:11 PM   #5
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

for a plat dd40 you should be able to get a SS daytona/skydweller/pepsi bundled in for retail...

either get 20% off or make sure you can walk away with a high demand SS piece. one of these 2 options will definitely be doable if you shop around
huncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2019, 01:15 PM   #6
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1985 View Post
Platinum DD 228206. The one AD's offer is actually a very legitimate option, so I'm not complaining too much.

I just find the other ADs not even willing to give a little perplexing.
Consider one of the well established sellers here on the forum. It would be worth your time to contact at least 3 or 4 of them and see what they have to offer. That is not a fast selling piece, as it appeals to a smaller percentage of the watch buying public.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2019, 01:17 PM   #7
BzKneez
"TRF" Member

The exact same thing happened to me with my AD that I go to.

I was in the market for a rose gold watch and informed my AD that I would be coming in to browse their selection. Within the past 2 years I have bought several watches exclusively from them, for both myself, and my wife.

I understand that discounts are pretty much non-existent when it comes to SS models, but I was surprised to be told the same for all PM models in their store. The best thing they could do for me was get me a "non specific, in demand, SS watch sooner than later" They wouldn't even let me choose the watch. Just whatever came first...

Just a few months before I purchased a RG Daytona on OF and a YG DD40 at discounted prices. All they had to say was "we don't negotiate anymore"

I know how you feel with the frustration. I guess rolex is really coming down on AD's. To be honest, it's only fair that everyone gets charged the same price but when your're used to things being a certain way and then all of a sudden being changed on you, its frustrating to say at the least.
BzKneez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2019, 01:23 PM   #8
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Call davidsw imo or another seller here. You should price it out before plunking that much cash even with a discount.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2019, 01:28 PM   #9
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
As said call DavidSW he will hook you up.
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2019, 01:29 PM   #10
tpool
"TRF" Member

15% off PM in the Caribbean without even negotiating. So 20% with a relationship in the states seems reasonable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2019, 01:36 PM   #11
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
Consider one of the well established sellers here on the forum. It would be worth your time to contact at least 3 or 4 of them and see what they have to offer. That is not a fast selling piece, as it appeals to a smaller percentage of the watch buying public.
Then take it back to the AD for the half link couldn’t resist.

I actually agree with you, the OP could save a bundle going gray on that piece
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2019, 01:46 PM   #12
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Sadly, I think that's where we're headed...
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2019, 01:46 PM   #13
peterpl
Banned

If your considering a Platinum DD40 - that is one watch you WANT a discount on. Its the big daddy and that is reflected by the price.

Without at least a 20% on that one I would skip. In saying that though discounts on PM pieces are getting harder and harder to get as well.

The watchclub I am a member of certain members who are big buyers actually cant get more than 10% off any of the ADs they deal with for precious metal pieces. Its more in the realm of 5-6% off now. Its becoming the norm.

In saying that the piece your looking at I would buy from a trusted seller. You'll get easy 20% of MSRP I think.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2019, 02:07 PM   #14
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

The guy at my AD said no discounts on anything, although I don't know him and think I could negotiate something decent if I dealt directly with the owner (my salesperson doesn't work there anymore).

I went into two other ADs here in the LA area that I don't have a relationship with, and both said no discounts on any Rolex.

This is all within the past two months or so.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2019, 02:40 PM   #15
1watch
"TRF" Member

I would say ok, thank you very much... good day and go shop for a different brand. The margin on a TT or gold model is much higher than SS, they aren't in demand like SS sport models... so if they want to act like they can get full MSRP, then let them shake someone else down or sit on the inventory.
1watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2019, 02:40 PM   #16
SkyJuice
"TRF" Member

Rolex knows this market really well ;)
SkyJuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2019, 02:57 PM   #17
Kamen
"TRF" Member

Locally no discounts on anythjng. I’ve tried with the 3 here and all echo the same sentiments.
Kamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2019, 03:01 PM   #18
jstan9
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
This is where I’d start, too, we’re that in my budget. I’ve bought from DavidSW and his organization is just incredible. You won’t be disappointed.
jstan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2019, 03:05 PM   #19
Geaux Tigers
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub Date
Discounts on PMs have been offered without request - started at 15% which suggest the will go further. Agree with trusted sellers approach if you can’t get the dealer to bend.
Geaux Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2019, 03:10 PM   #20
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

It depends on the watch...not all PMs are created equal. I would say most ADs are far stricter with discounts now on PMs from my experience...so I wonder how many talking have actually trued negotiating a popular PM sports as of late.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2019, 03:12 PM   #21
carlhaluss
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer 1
Well, I realize in life, that I have been odd man out, so to speak. The AD who is one of my all time favorites, and I am personal friends with the manager, never discount at all. Yet I would never buy a brand they have from anywhere else.

To me, the AD who I buy from, and with whom I have a rapport, is the best part of the experience.

Anyway, none of my business how much anyone pays for their watch, or whether it was discounted. I just hope you get the watch you want and enjoy it, and share your pleasure with it on this forum.

Cheers,
Carl
Old 17 January 2019, 03:19 PM   #22
scooba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Anything
You could always come to the UK and claim a discount and the VAT reclaim thats worth 16.6% on purchase price ,

Wear the watch ! ship the boxes back with UPS insured , Keep the warranty card in your wallet
scooba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2019, 03:38 PM   #23
egprelude
"TRF" Member

What area are you located in?
egprelude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2019, 03:51 PM   #24
imgook
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN White
I love the fact that people highly recommend grey dealers when they are getting a discount, then get so insulted when the greys are selling in demand pieces for a profit.
imgook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2019, 03:52 PM   #25
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

I rember buying a PM watch as recently as 2 months the ago. One store said no discount at all. To their credit, I believe they eventually sold it a month later without giving any discount. In the mean time I went into another store, was told no discount as well. I made my offer, said I would buy on the spot if they were willing to accept. Owner of the store was called, deal accepted, and walked out with the watch. So conclusion: I think a store saying no discounts is a very valid opening offer, but countering with card in hand is much more effective then just inquiring about discounts.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2019, 04:16 PM   #26
peterpl
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by imgook View Post
I love the fact that people highly recommend grey dealers when they are getting a discount, then get so insulted when the greys are selling in demand pieces for a profit.
big big difference in price we are talking about here.

$10k to > $50k here. That is more than some peoples entire yearly wage.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2019, 04:29 PM   #27
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
When I was buying back at the end of November, I was looking at a number of PM watches. They definitely said there was room for discount on Pt (either the DD or the Daytona which I ended up with). I estimate it was about 20%. As we were trading and not paying with funds it was a bit different. They did mention that it would be less of a discount if any on very desirable PM pieces. The Smurf WG Sub specifically. I don't believe any Pt piece falls under that category. The GM had to agree to the discount and the sales person had no authority. I'd keep searching for an AD that will give you a discount. Not certain where you are but it sounds like there are a fair number of ADs in the area. Good luck finding your watch at the right price.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2019, 05:06 PM   #28
CoveWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP
It’s funny also because the AD I have purchased the most watches from and in my city have been a bit stingy on discounts lately as well... while a newer AD I only started with last year and bought a couple watches from have been much more accommodating. For reference he texted me a RG Olive Dial DD a couple weeks ago and was giving 22% off.. not sure how it would be on the Plat DD but feel free to PM me OP if you want me to find out for you!
CoveWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2019, 06:13 PM   #29
WatchLurv
Banned

Watch: Swiss
Discounts are nowhere near where they were a year ago or even 2 years ago.

Normally a platinum DD is bundled with a hulk and a batman or just a hulk if you cant stretch it that far. That would indirectly be your discount of ~4K USD. A direct purchase with Plat DD can range from 10-20%. Rarely do you see anyone knock 20 off a Plat DD now, so 10% is more realistic.

Some shops are simply not budging on discount for any PMs. They have their confident that they can sell everything at full price.
WatchLurv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2019, 06:51 PM   #30
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
You are a terrible negotiator. Skip the AD and go grey