The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 28 December 2021, 02:14 PM   #31
stevestil
"TRF" Member

Thank you everyone for the replies and feedback!!!

I have some thinking to do! Lol

As far as my wife’s sub- That’s going to be sold for another piece for her but that’s another story. Sure I could keep it- but to be honest after wearing it a few times it didn’t really do much for me. I much prefer the new sub to the older ones. Call me crazy, but that’s my opinion.

Ultimately I’m sure I’ll go with the sub over the BB 58

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
stevestil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2021, 03:28 PM   #32
Dougiebaby
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona BLNR SubLV
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevestil View Post
Hello watch fam-

I’ve currently been debating on what to purchase next. I have achieved some goals and would like to celebrate with a new timepiece. My thoughts are between the black bay 58 or a Stainless Sub but I can’t decide between the two.

My wife has a 5 digit stainless sub and will be selling it (not my watch so not my choice) and I definitely spend a lot of time looking at it and deciding whether I would like to purchase one for myself As a daily. If I did, I would purchase the newer model W/ Ceramic bezel because I personally like the look very much. My current daily is an aqua terra on rubber which I love. My CHNR and serti dial sub do get plenty of wrist time but the aqua terra for me is just a “throw it on and go” watch.

Now comes the black bay 58. I have been drooling over this watch for quite some time. As far as looks go, I personally think the black bay is superior to the sub. Obviously- two totally different class of watches. I do not buy watches as an investment however i won’t lie and say in this case the value of a submariner compared to a BB58 doesn’t factor into my decision.

Was hoping to get some feedback from owners who have a sub and a BB 58 to help with my decision.

Lastly- sub would be bought at retail from my AD and not at market pricing.

Thank you!

A Rolex purchased for a life event / accomplishment has been a tradition for decades. I don't think I've ever heard of anyone buying a Tudor for a life milestone.

Since you can get the Sub at retail, it would be a NO BRAINER for me. Add the BB58 at some later time (if you still are interested ... but I have a feeling the new Sub will quickly eliminate that desire).
Dougiebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2021, 03:35 PM   #33
siempreko
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sometimes
If it were going to be your “one and only,” then I would definitely say “go for the sub.” But, with your collection, I would recommend that you diversify and add the Tudor. You will not regret it!

siempreko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2021, 03:43 PM   #34
the dark knight
2024 Pledge Member

I think a huge key here is that you don't like your wife's 5-digit Sub and much prefer the newer ones. Would love to know why, but I'm guessing it's just that extra level of refinement the 6-digits have.

If that's the case, you will NOT be satisfied with the BB58. I previously had a 16610, recently acquired a 124060, and in between had a blue BB58.

It was eerie how much the BB58 reminded me of the 16610 in feel, size, and wrist presence. Probably slightly more comfortable than the 16610 actually, but it was so similar. Kinda corny, but it made me a bit emotional because of highly I regard those older Subs (I wanted one since HS so there you go). TBH that was 90% of the charm for me, that it reminded me so much of the older 5 digit Sub. But if you aren't a huge fan of the 5-digit, then I don't think the BB58 will do it for you.

And yea, to state the obvious, the Submariner is on another level.
the dark knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2021, 04:38 PM   #35
2ltdjorn
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
I bought my BB58 after being frozen out of the local AD for a couple years. I had given up getting an allocation. I certainly enjoy my BB58, its comfortable. One good think I think is no one knows what it is, so I feel like its a stealth piece.

I get a fair amount of comments when I wear my Rolex, mostly negative or judgy comments.

0 comments on the BB58. I wish it had a date function though, only thing I would add. Otherwise its great. Resell is not great, but its a good daily beater.

Out of my Rolexes, my kids like the BB58 the most.

One reason is I can put it on fabric strap and let them wear when we have special functions. they like that a lot, and I don't have to worry too much about them beating it up.

hope that helps.

First GTG El Paso Nov 2016, WISCON 2019.

Would rather be on the river, somewhere.
2ltdjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2021, 07:40 PM   #36
Ollie1982
Banned

Watch: Sub, Exp, DJ & Pam
The new sub is on another level to a BB58. I bought a blue BB58 in December last year, it was OK but didn’t come close to the quality of an Omega PO I owned at the time.

Fast forward 6 weeks and I get a call from my AD and I collect my brand new 124060 (sub no date) and after that the poor BB58 never stood a chance, it was sold a couple of months later.

The BB58 is great, but a submariner it is not.

Ollie1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2021, 07:47 PM   #37
Ollie1982
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie1982 View Post
The new sub is on another level to a BB58. I bought a blue BB58 in December last year, it was OK but didn’t come close to the quality of an Omega PO I owned at the time.

Fast forward 6 weeks and I get a call from my AD and I collect my brand new 124060 (sub no date) and after that the poor BB58 never stood a chance, it was sold a couple of months later.

The BB58 is great, but a submariner it is not.

Some context…

Old 28 December 2021, 09:20 PM   #38
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5 digit models
Logo aside, the BB58 is essentially a 5-digit no-date Submariner w/ a better bracelet & clasp. Granted, the hands are quite different though.

I own both.

Then factor in the subtle diffs like bezel edge (I’m not a fan of the coined edge) and bracelet style (fake rivets aren’t that noticeable when wearing).

The BB58 blue is a good Swiss watch for the price. Feel-wise, it’s just as solid as a Rolex but seems many people can’t get passed the dial’s logo.
jaisonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2021, 09:37 PM   #39
Ollie1982
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaisonline View Post
Logo aside, the BB58 is essentially a 5-digit no-date Submariner w/ a better bracelet & clasp. Granted, the hands are quite different though.

I own both.

Then factor in the subtle diffs like bezel edge (I’m not a fan of the coined edge) and bracelet style (fake rivets aren’t that noticeable when wearing).

The BB58 blue is a good Swiss watch for the price. Feel-wise, it’s just as solid as a Rolex but seems many people can’t get passed the dial’s logo.

Nothing to do with the logo, more to do with the far superior quality, finish and overall feel of the sub over the Tudor.

To be fair, I’m comparing the Tudor to the most recent iteration of submariner. Those comparing the BB58 to a 5 digit sub will quite rightly struggle to justify the huge difference in price.

Old 28 December 2021, 11:12 PM   #40
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5 digit models
Tudor Black Bay 58 vs. Stainless Rolex Submariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie1982 View Post
Nothing to do with the logo, more to do with the far superior quality, finish and overall feel of the sub over the Tudor.

To be fair, I’m comparing the Tudor to the most recent iteration of submariner. Those comparing the BB58 to a 5 digit sub will quite rightly struggle to justify the huge difference in price.

I also own a 116710 LV Sub. Honestly, there isn’t much difference in terms of quality, finish, & overall feel between steel BB58s and 6-digit 20mm bracelet Subs (as I don’t own the latest Sub to compare). If anything, the BB58 feels like a slightly smaller 116710 since it doesn’t have the oversized lugs.

Seriously, the only advantage a 116710 & 6-digit no-date Sub have over the BB58 is the adjustable sliding clasp (Glide lock).
jaisonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2021, 11:31 PM   #41
NachoNeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the river flow
Personally I would choose a five digit sub or a BB58 over a new submariner. But that's just me.
Old 28 December 2021, 11:36 PM   #42
Ollie1982
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaisonline View Post
I also own a 116710 LV Sub. Honestly, there isn’t much difference in terms of quality, finish, & overall feel between steel BB58s and 6-digit 20mm bracelet Subs (as I don’t own the latest Sub to compare). If anything, the BB58 feels like a slightly smaller 116710 since it doesn’t have the oversized lugs.

Seriously, the only advantage a 116710 & 6-digit no-date Sub have over the BB58 is the adjustable sliding clasp (Glide lock).

Have to agree to disagree.

The two watches are worlds apart and to me the difference in obvious

Old 28 December 2021, 11:52 PM   #43
nigelUK
"TRF" Member

I've gained more enjoyment with the BB58 compared to any modern (ceramic) sub.

That's not saying one is better than the other. Obviously Sub is on another level of refinement, as you would expect. Lifestyle may play a part.

However, if you can get s sub at retail without waiting forever, you should get it. Nothing will satisfy that itch until you own it. Pick a preowned BB58 later as a beater