The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Closed Thread

Old 20 August 2022, 01:25 PM   #1
medicdj
Banned

Crazy Rolex Purchase and Story and Authenticated at 5 AD and its a clone, I think.

I saw an ad on Craigslist for a Rolex Submariner along with some other collectables including cards, coins and Bills and some Rolex Holiday catalogs and other Rolex Collectables so I meet up with the guy and he seems legitimate and he tells me a story about his Grandfather and this stuff belonged to him and now I normally say oh well its a fake, but he is able to provide the box and manuals hang tag along with a purchase receipt and a leather pouch from a well known Jeweler. He tells me the Pawn shop gave him a low offer and he wants double the amount well the watch looks and feels amazing but I don't trust the deal so I offer 200 over the pawn shop and he takes it so I think to myself if this isn't real its the best clone I have ever seen.

So I take it home and order a loop and I check the watch and everything seems perfect and there are no issues with anything that I can see, the engraving is super sharp and everything matches up but I am still hesitant so I take it to some well known AD'S and they all say Authentic and I take it to another jeweler and they say authentic and give me an insurance appraisal. Now to me the watch feels real and everything works as it should and the movement looks real and so I am confused and don't believe it.

I then take the band off and the markings look real and then I find a flaw between the lugs on one side it says Stainless Steel in razor sharp engraving and the other side says Orig Rolex Design 116610 but on the Super authentic looking receipt it says 114060 so I think I found the flaw no one else did.

So I am sitting here now shaking my head in disbelief the receipt was from a Jeweler 2 city's away and the address of his grandfather was the city next to where I met him and he included all this extra stuff and the story lined up along with his Grandfathers name who was a Manager for a famous band and he knew there songs and had a whole story about everything.

I have never seen anyone go into such great detail and produce a fake receipt and watch that looks so authentic that it fools everyone. I feel like I met a mastermind when it comes to fake watches. I am sorry this is long and for my grammar.
Old 20 August 2022, 01:55 PM   #2
KY..
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 60s to 90s
Does the watch have a date or not?
Post Clear Photos
Old 20 August 2022, 02:11 PM   #3
medicdj
Banned

The watch is a No Date

On the receipt it shows its ref 114060 and between the lugs it says 116610. I know the pics are not the best but the engraving is sharp on the watch and all wording on the dial is exact.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Rolex.jpeg (243.6 KB, 729 views)
File Type: jpeg Movement.jpeg (274.6 KB, 726 views)
File Type: jpeg bracelet.jpeg (124.6 KB, 714 views)
File Type: jpeg Modelnumber.jpeg (152.6 KB, 721 views)
File Type: jpeg Stainless.jpeg (149.9 KB, 727 views)
Old 20 August 2022, 02:13 PM   #4
medicdj
Banned

I am working on clear photos that are a smaller size.
Old 20 August 2022, 02:19 PM   #5
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Oh dear.

Can you get a refund?

Old 20 August 2022, 02:23 PM   #6
medicdj
Banned

If you were to see the watch in person all the engravings and writing on the dial is 100% and the Rehaut and the Crown on the Crystal is 100% so I don't understand why someone would put a story together so well paying attention to so many details just to sell a fake watch and he was willing to meet at any jeweler to verify Authenticity and it passed many checks with many AD.
Old 20 August 2022, 02:25 PM   #7
medicdj
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andad View Post
Oh dear.

Can you get a refund?
I am sure I can, I am wondering if there is more to the story, could the dealer that sold it put the wrong movement in the wrong case? I just don't understand how this whole deal is so detailed. I also forgot to mention that I held it next to the same model at the AD and they felt the same and the weight was exact I think it was 155 g or 157g somewhere around there.
Old 20 August 2022, 02:27 PM   #8
Rolexken
"TRF" Member

I think that the movement is a fake - if you look at photos of a 3130 movement online you will see that this one has different pieces between the balance wheel and the centre of the movement for regulation. Sorry.
Old 20 August 2022, 02:29 PM   #9
medicdj
Banned

Im not sure I follow on the movement, we opened a real one at a AD and they compared the movement and said it was exactly the same. I have also looked at 3130 movements online and I must be missing something as I do not see any difference.
Old 20 August 2022, 02:29 PM   #10
Incroyable12
"TRF" Member

If you can't even tell a fake from real these days what's the point of a real one?
Old 20 August 2022, 02:32 PM   #11
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
Terrible fake sorry. Rehaut is horrible.

Hope you get your money back.
Old 20 August 2022, 02:38 PM   #12
medicdj
Banned

The Rehaut is actually perfect its my pictures they are blurry, under a loop it looks genuine, I actually had 5 AD give the green light and I have an Insurance Appraisal I got myself and it passed everything, as soon as I figure out how to post clear pics you will see a huge difference.
Old 20 August 2022, 02:45 PM   #13
Rolexken
"TRF" Member

The movement is always the way to tell a clone - compare this to the 3130 photos online.
Old 20 August 2022, 02:48 PM   #14
Andad

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by medicdj View Post
The Rehaut is actually perfect its my pictures they are blurry, under a loop it looks genuine, I actually had 5 AD give the green light and I have an Insurance Appraisal I got myself and it passed everything, as soon as I figure out how to post clear pics you will see a huge difference.
You seem to be convinced that it’s real.

I have answered your thread.

Your purchase price would be a good indicator of legitimacy.

Enjoy wearing it…….

Old 20 August 2022, 02:50 PM   #15
medicdj
Banned

I have compared it to a 3130 online and in videos and it all looks the same thats what took me to the ADs in the first place because it all looked real to me and to them too. I have looked at clone 3130 movements also and they do not look like this one. I have come to the conclusion it is fake but I do not understand the AD not being able to tell.
Old 20 August 2022, 02:52 PM   #16
medicdj
Banned

Im actually convinced its fake and that is stated in the OP, I just cant believe the AD all were fooled and me to in the beginning to be honest. If I sat down and told you the whole story you would see how far and detailed the seller made the story so it all seemed legit and how I got a real receipt from a seller for this watch makes me think someone working there has something to do with it.
Old 20 August 2022, 03:07 PM   #17
Rolexken
"TRF" Member

Have you compared the movement photos?
Old 20 August 2022, 04:06 PM   #18
KY..
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 60s to 90s
There are fake watches out there with clone movements that look exactly like what you have.
Although it looks a lot like the real thing I feel it is still a fake.
If the fakers ever stop cutting corners we will be in a whole lot of trouble.
Old 20 August 2022, 04:39 PM   #19
Gab27
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
I cannot say a lot about the condition of the watch because the max image resolution allowed on this site is very low, so it can make things appear very differently from their high-res originals.

The movement does not appear to be authentic. It looks to be missing the free sprung balance. My guess is if you put it on a timegrapher it, A) it probably would not have very good amplitude, accuracy, and beat error compared to an authentic 3130, and B) probably would also have pretty large deviations in accuracy when measured at different angles.
Old 20 August 2022, 04:56 PM   #20
medicdj
Banned

Yes it does have the free sprung balance one of the ad pointed It out that it was correct, it has a spring on it. My pictures really look different then the watch in person but none the less I have compared it to an authentic one it store and nothing was different so I am not sure what to say. I do know it is fake now so I am not claiming it is authentic but like I said it fooled the ADS so I am surprised.
Old 20 August 2022, 05:31 PM   #21
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
The 116610 has a date function, but yours does not.
Old 20 August 2022, 06:14 PM   #22
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
How did you get 5 different AD’s to take your watch apart, authenticate it and then get at least one of them to take the back off a watch they had to compare movements?

Sent from my Apple privacy invasion product
Old 20 August 2022, 08:19 PM   #23
paxjedi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoat View Post
How did you get 5 different AD’s to take your watch apart, authenticate it and then get at least one of them to take the back off a watch they had to compare movements?

I have the same question too.
Unless you pay them $$$, the AD's that I know won't just open a watch you bring in and spend time examining it and comparing it to their own. You live in California, you should have just sent it to the Beverly Hills RSC for a service or a simple pressure test or some excuse like that. That would have saved you a trip to five ADs.

From another perspective, however, if you brought that to 10 ADs and one told you it was a fake and the others said it was real, you will always think its a fake. Doubt is not something one can easily ignore.

The only thing I ever bought from Craigslist was an Ikea chair, and I doubt it was even authentic.

Good luck.

Old 20 August 2022, 08:38 PM   #24
gmtmister
"TRF" Member

There’s no way you showed this to 5 ADs and they didn’t spot it.
It doesn’t take an AD to see the movement is fake.
Old 20 August 2022, 08:41 PM   #25
BLNR Nairobi
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incroyable12 View Post
If you can't even tell a fake from real these days what's the point of a real one?
1. You can tell the difference.
2. Because fakes are still fake.
3. Because real is still real.
4. And you’ll know the difference if you buy a fake trying to pass it off as real.
Old 20 August 2022, 08:42 PM   #26
BLNR Nairobi
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoat View Post

Something about this story …
Old 20 August 2022, 09:09 PM   #27
chris242

Watch: 116610lv
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLNR Nairobi View Post
Something about this story …

Agreed..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 20 August 2022, 09:36 PM   #28
messikens
"TRF" Member

I'm sorry but I'm not buying this story at all.
There is NO WAY in my neighborhood I could give a random Rolex to 5(!!!) ADs and they'd all review in and give their OK for the fun of it.

If I was in that much doubt, I'd go to the source (RSC) and have them authenticate the watch / movement etc and get piece of mind.

This seems like trolling to me...
Old 20 August 2022, 09:47 PM   #29
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
I'm not making a judgement here, but is it not possible to take a 116010 and put a 114060 face and crystal on it? That's something that I might do... You know, if the watch was a gift and/or needed a service.

Regardless of that and the accuracy of the story itself, I'd never trust a salesperson at an AD to authenticate a watch. You need an experienced watchmaker.

And I don't get how people think that faking a receipt is so difficult!

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
Old 20 August 2022, 10:15 PM   #30
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
Long covid.
Closed Thread