The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 28 October 2020, 11:17 AM   #151
Arid
"TRF" Member

If I am to deplete my collection down to one Rolex, it certainly won’t be a Sub.
Arid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2020, 11:38 AM   #152
Dannyg718
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT master II
bought a Rolex GMT master II coke in 2007.... my Daily wearer and only rolex
Dannyg718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2020, 04:17 AM   #153
WatchGuy1966
"TRF" Member

I did that with the Explorer.

And I was much more satiated with just one Rolex.

Then I added a Speedy, then a Black Bay.

Now, I can't stop scratching the itch.

I have no regrets, but I was more satisfied having one amazing watch than I am now wondering what else I can't live without.

Kinda like this crazy cat lady on Eharmony. She wants all the cats and I want all the watches. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTTwcCVajAc
WatchGuy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2020, 05:26 AM   #154
GMT Aviator
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

My ceramic GMT LN means I won’t ever buy a sub. Closest I got was adding a yacht master to the collection.
GMT Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2020, 05:52 AM   #155
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejoe View Post
You know what they say, beware the man with only one watch, he probably knows you are late.

Anyhow, I know many people get a Sub an are done with the brand, but I'm interested in hearing from those that have only one Rolex with no plan to get another and chose something other than everyone's favorite diver.
  • Why choose something other than the icon?
  • Is it your every day watch?
  • Any plans to "pass it on" to the next generation?
  • Did you get it to scratch the Rolex itch and just lost interest in the brand after joining the crown club?
As it is I've got quite a few watches for of which are Rolex and none are Subs. Why choose other?

[*]Why choose something other than the icon?
I don't like the way the Sub feels on my wrist. I also think other watches are more attractive.

[*]Is it your every day watch?
All my watches are every day watches. Strange question if asking someone with only one watch. How could it be other?

[*]Any plans to "pass it on" to the next generation?
Time will tell, so now plans as of now.

[*]Did you get it to scratch the Rolex itch and just lost interest in the brand after joining the crown club?
My first Rolex was an OP, a Sub was second, IIRC. I actually had two Subs at one point and sold the modern one. Later I sold the second one to get my Grail watch. Ultimately I like the YM much more that the modern Subs for fit, appearance, and comfort. My days of Sub ownership are done!!!

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2021, 02:01 PM   #156
polarinda
"TRF" Member

Watch: it
My only rolex now is the 114270....and a speedmaster moon
polarinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2021, 05:20 PM   #157
JDR888
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 214270
I’m now down to one Rolex. Recently sold my 126333 because I’d made the decision to drop out of the games associated with Rolex and stick with a singular watch.

Had long and varied ownership history encompassing stainless steel sports including subs over 25 years and my single ownership choice is my 214270.

Perfect size for me and flies under the radar.

Not really a fan of what the Rolex bubble has become and the noise/hype behind it so I’m out and completely comfortable for it.

Current stable: 214270, 126234, 126710BLRO & Pelagos 39mm
JDR888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2021, 06:48 PM   #158
peterskinner
"TRF" Member

Like others, I’m now a one-Rolex guy. Yachtmaster 42. I’ve had a wide variety of types, but now feel that one good model is quite enough. Il never buy another, which given the current difficulties, is best.
peterskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2021, 07:55 PM   #159
NachoNeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the river flow
I always had a few watches. But only one rolex for about ten years. The submariner.
NachoNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2021, 09:43 PM   #160
Plant
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 36, Nomos Ahoi
Yes I have a DJ 36.

Its more versatile, looks better (in my opinion), and is just as iconic as the Sub. Its also significantly cheaper so thats nice too, but I prefer it even if they were the same price
Plant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2021, 09:48 PM   #161
alweisenberger
"TRF" Member

I had an Explorer 39mm for quite a while, but then realized i'm a rotating bezel kind of guy so i had to add a 14060m and YM40 blue, am quite happy...for the moment.
alweisenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2021, 09:51 PM   #162
Speedsleev
"TRF" Member

I wore and Explorer ll for years and it was my only Rolex...ahhh the simple days...
Speedsleev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2021, 09:54 PM   #163
bwdellorf76
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: All of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by descartes View Post
I wore a GMT 16710 (Coke) for 10 years before I bought a second watch, which was a Speedmaster.

Although I collected other watches, I wore the Coke 90% of the time for over 20 years.

Now the GMT 116710 LN is my primary watch (even though I have a number of other watches including a Sub, Daytona, Explorer 2, APRO, and others).

I think the GMT is the best watch Rolex makes.

I think rotating any of the 6 digit steel GMT’s on the sub glidelock bracelet is the best configuration.
bwdellorf76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2021, 09:57 PM   #164
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesy983 View Post
Before I fell into the rabbit hole, I used to have a 1-rolex collection for approx 3 years.

I had a Datejust 116234 - oyster band, white dial, stick batons, fluted bezel. I tried to cover a lot of ground with; oyster band for sport, fluted bezel for flash, stick batons & white for neutral.

I had a good run with it, but once I got the itch for a sub my DJ became a little too middle of the road for me. I’ve subsequently traded it in for a TT everose DJ, and have built up my collection with a hulk, speedmaster & old explorer ii

Edit: I will say a turning point was when I realized that I could rock a Sub. I have small wrists so always thought that I didn’t have the real estate for it, but I borrowed a friends Sub for a couple days and then my world changed haha.
Wow this sounds almost exactly my pathway into the rabbit hole. Started out with a Datejust II as a do everything one and only Rolex. Stayed that way for maybe two years until this board got me into sport models and other brands.

Now I'm also looking to potentially move to a fancier TT DJ or maybe one day a DD as my dress watch since my sports watch collection has grown to four by my last count.

Love this board but man it has sucked a lot of money out of my bank account

Sent from my Galaxy S20 using Tapatalk
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2021, 10:29 PM   #165
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overwound View Post

I don't buy personal items with intentions of passing it on to another. That's what gifts are for. :-) .....
Good point...the whole idea of "honey, I got you a present today but you will have to wait until I die to get it" is a bit odd.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2021, 10:52 PM   #166
Kmasur
"TRF" Member

I’ve worn my Datejust 16220 for at least 2 decades as my only watch without much a thought. I “went down the rabbit hole” when I sent it to the RSC for a general overhaul, mostly thanks to this forum.

I’m just barely starting to look at other Rolex models, including the plain and simple Oyster Perpetual and Milgauss. I consider the latter to be my “grail”. And that’s it. Once I acquire these two, I will have been officially done with buying watches. I guess I just prefer more the classic, elegant look, rather than sports look.

The Submariner has never sung to me. It just doesn’t speak to me, nor will I ever understand the hype around it. Ditto for most sports watches. However, I do greatly admire the James Cameron Deepsea Sea-Dweller for its engineering against extreme deep ocean water pressure. But I’d have to see it in person first and try it on if I were to ever put it on my list. But even that is quite unlikely.

BTW, I definitely don’t consider the Submariner as the ultimate Rolex “icon”. For that, I would consider the Day-Date to be just the thing. It’s the first thing that comes to my mind when I think of “Rolex”, the brand. I don’t, however, have any plans to buy a Day-Date.
Kmasur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2021, 10:54 PM   #167
SaddleSC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hulk 116610LV
Nope...I have two subs and a sea dweller, but I am 100% confident I could be happy for the rest of my life with just this watch on my wrist. It is a chameleon and can adapt to any environment from shorts to tux. It is also a Rolex classic!

Old 3 April 2021, 11:00 PM   #168
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmasur View Post
I’ve worn my Datejust 16220 for at least 2 decades as my only watch without much a thought. I “went down the rabbit hole” when I sent it to the RSC for a general overhaul, mostly thanks to this forum.

I’m just barely starting to look at other Rolex models, including the plain and simple Oyster Perpetual and Milgauss. I consider the latter to be my “grail”. And that’s it. Once I acquire these two, I will have been officially done with buying watches. I guess I just prefer more the classic, elegant look, rather than sports look.

The Submariner has never sung to me. It just doesn’t speak to me, nor will I ever understand the hype around it. Ditto for most sports watches. However, I do greatly admire the James Cameron Deepsea Sea-Dweller for its engineering against extreme deep ocean water pressure. But I’d have to see it in person first and try it on if I were to ever put it on my list. But even that is quite unlikely.

BTW, I definitely don’t consider the Submariner as the ultimate Rolex “icon”. For that, I would consider the Day-Date to be just the thing. It’s the first thing that comes to my mind when I think of “Rolex”, the brand. I don’t, however, have any plans to buy a Day-Date.
Everyone has their opinions, but I strongly feel the submariner is the Rolex icon. Even above all other watches. It was all about the old bond movies and went from there. The most historic, and therefore copied watch on the plant. Not sure my opinion, it is the popular opinion. Google most inconic watch. Almost as hard to argue against it as Jordan being the GOAT.
Old 3 April 2021, 11:22 PM   #169
Kmasur
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRell View Post
Everyone has their opinions, but I strongly feel the submariner is the Rolex icon. Even above all other watches. It was all about the old bond movies and went from there. The most historic, and therefore copied watch on the plant. Not sure my opinion, it is the popular opinion. Google most inconic watch. Almost as hard to argue against it as Jordan being the GOAT.
Yes, that’s what I understand, that the James Bond movies were what put the Submariner on the map. But I don’t think that buying an expensive watch should be based on what iconic films characters like James Bond wear on film. Of course, if such a watch actually sings to someone, by all means they should buy it.

Unfortunately, this is something that is very subjective. Either a watch design speaks to you or it doesn’t. It cannot be forced. There’s no in the middle.
Kmasur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2021, 11:30 PM   #170
Sandlapper1960
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 126600
The Sea-Dweller 43 is my one and only Rolex. I gifted my Omega Aqua Terra Annual Calendar to my son a few weeks ago.
Sandlapper1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2021, 11:37 PM   #171
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Yes, that’s what I understand, that the James Bond movies were what put the Submariner on the map. But I don’t think that buying an expensive watch should be based on what iconic films characters like James Bond wear on film. Of course, if such a watch actually sings to someone, by all means they should buy it.

Unfortunately, this is something that is very subjective. Either a watch design speaks to you or it doesn’t. It cannot be forced. There’s no in the middle.
I will make you like it! Lol well said.
Old 3 April 2021, 11:38 PM   #172
NachoNeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the river flow
Quote:

I'll take that bet.
Old 3 April 2021, 11:41 PM   #173
zion_rasta
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II ceramic
My Sky D is it, but not really, I have more than one already... wear PAM moray of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sold - Daytona 116523; YM 116622; Datejust 16233
zion_rasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2021, 11:51 PM   #174
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
This was my first and single Rolex for almost 2 years. It was part of my daily rotation, still is.

YM116622.jpg

Take the blue pill, buy the utilitarian black Sub and sleep with the peace of mind you have what everybody else wants. If everyone aspires to owning one, it must be good, right? Stay in the numbing and reassuring beaten path.

Take the red pill, buy the Yacht-Master and step into another dimension, a world of fine connoisseurs who can appreciate the countless subtleties and elegant sophistication of such an exquisite, discreet and elegant timepiece. No one will understand it but you don't follow the herd. Instead, you go your own way, free from those dictating what you should be doing, how you should be thinking. You are your own boss and need nobody's validation and pat on the shoulder. You are now at the turning point separating men from boys.

alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2021, 12:43 AM   #175
Paul7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxy View Post
So many in Asian counties prefer Datejust over Sub and DJ is as big an icon if not bigger. US is more prone to sports watches hype but its not the same all over the world!
I would think the Sub would be too big for many Asian wrists too. They don't have our obesity problem.

My main watch is an Exp. II 16570, I have an inherited 36mm DJ I wear occasionally for business.
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2021, 01:09 AM   #176
Paul7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloebear View Post
Pics...Just look at that perfect taper of the lugs and bracelet integration! For a larger watch it’s actually quite elegant because it’s relatively thin and has such a nice taper.

Exactly why I like my Exp. II 16570. The Sub bezel edges don't have the same taper making the watch chunkier.
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2021, 01:15 AM   #177
DuckaDiesel
"TRF" Member

DJ41 for me.
I would have probably taken any steel model though and would have been happy with it as a one watch collection, not just one Rolex.
I don’t like having too many watches though, 2-3 the most.
The other 2 are smp300 and bb58.
With that said I would like to (as of now) swap these two for a no date sub or batman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
DuckaDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2021, 01:17 AM   #178
Gary Busey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay
Does Anyone Have a One Rolex Collection and it's not a Sub?

M’y explorer right now. Only Rolex. Only wear it when going out with friends, dinner with wife, work etc. Got beaters for around the kids.....not Rolex

Doxa Sub 200, SKX009
Aquastar Deepstar
Gary Busey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2021, 01:19 AM   #179
jc_schmidt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejoe View Post
You know what they say, beware the man with only one watch, he probably knows you are late.

Anyhow, I know many people get a Sub an are done with the brand, but I'm interested in hearing from those that have only one Rolex with no plan to get another and chose something other than everyone's favorite diver.
  • Why choose something other than the icon?
  • Is it your every day watch?
  • Any plans to "pass it on" to the next generation?
  • Did you get it to scratch the Rolex itch and just lost interest in the brand after joining the crown club?
I am exactly what you describe.

I knew from 2015 when i saw WG Pepsi that this was the watch I wanted. Didn't have the money at all. I had no other wristwatch until 2018 when BLRO came in steel. I now wanted that, but ofc. that was impossible too. One month ago I suddenly decided it was time for me to get what I wanted for so long, so contacted a second hand dealer and he got me a 23.01.2021 NOS SS BLRO.

My Rolex desire is fulfilled with the BLRO. I do not want another Rolex for now and probably will never buy another Rolex. I am not done with wristwatches tho and I will probably get many more watches in the future. I do not plan to pass the BLRO to my son (only have him), but I could pass another future watch to him.

My next watch will be Seiko SKX007J1 (no I will not pass that either ;P)
After that I will look into Patek Philippe. 5172G. It's a totally miss of a future collection I know, but get what you like they said, right?

Hope you can use my answer
jc_schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2021, 01:21 AM   #180
Moose225
"TRF" Member

Ive got just a 16570.... it is as close to a perfect "one watch collection" as I can get. I wear it every day, and rarely take it off. Its rugged yet classy, simple yet useful. Will it be my only Rolex? Probably not. Was it the best Rolex for my only Rolex? Yes.
Moose225 is offline   Reply With Quote