The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 7 May 2019, 01:29 PM   #241
Caynuck
"TRF" Member

Besides the watch. How was your 30mins in the hot tub?
Old 7 May 2019, 01:47 PM   #242
ragingcao
"TRF" Member

Watch: cha talking about?
It’s official. Your DJ’s nickname is “Deadpool”
Just wanted to light up the mood during the 3-week wait for RSC. Best of luck.
ragingcao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2019, 02:05 PM   #243
dnpina
Banned

Watch: 126610 LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caynuck View Post
Besides the watch. How was your 30mins in the hot tub?
Genuinely made me laugh out loud.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
dnpina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2019, 02:08 PM   #244
donq
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610,1675,16030
DEADPOOL!!

Bahahahaha!

Oh Jeez.

Bahahahaha!!
donq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2019, 03:59 PM   #245
LukeGreg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingcao View Post
It’s official. Your DJ’s nickname is “Deadpool”
Just wanted to light up the mood during the 3-week wait for RSC. Best of luck.
😂😂 that made me laugh to be fair.

I’ve been advised to go to the news papers if Rolex refuse to do anything about it - it sounds petty but I’m sure they wouldn’t want the bad press - just like I don’t want a copper colour watch or a Rolex that looks 20+ years old because I’ve had it polished (especially when it’s not even a year old)

I fully agree that over time this could happen to gold - but not after its first exposure to chlorine regardless of strength.
LukeGreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2019, 04:16 PM   #246
RolieKid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeGreg View Post
I’ve give it a clean - didn’t make a difference. Here is a pic.

You paid 10k for a DateJust?
RolieKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2019, 04:24 PM   #247
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolieKid View Post
You paid 10k for a DateJust?
Hmm...who would have figured that the least helpful comment in this thread so far would come from someone who put "Rollie" in his username, and misspelled it at that?
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2019, 04:27 PM   #248
RolieKid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStone View Post
Hmm...who would have figured that the least helpful comment in this thread so far would come from someone who put "Rollie" in his username, and misspelled it at that?
RollieKid was already taken. I improvised.
Old 7 May 2019, 04:30 PM   #249
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
RollieKid was already taken. I improvised.
And this makes your comment helpful how?
Old 7 May 2019, 04:33 PM   #250
RolieKid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
And this makes your comment helpful how?
Seems a tad expensive. That is all.
Old 7 May 2019, 04:33 PM   #251
Shamorai
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16523, 116610LV
Quote:
I think the second part of his name says a lot....
Shamorai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2019, 04:34 PM   #252
RolieKid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamorai View Post
No one is perfect dude.
Old 7 May 2019, 04:38 PM   #253
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamorai View Post
I'd say you're right.
Old 7 May 2019, 05:01 PM   #254
Jaff03
Banned

Quote:
I wish.

In fact I’m up at 4am as I’m not able to sleep thinking I’ve put 10k down the drain.

Watch is from an AD.
Yes i know how it feels thinking you've lost something valuable....polish it.
Jaff03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2019, 08:31 PM   #255
mr_gray
"TRF" Member

Watch: SMURF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaff03 View Post
Yes i know how it feels thinking you've lost something valuable....polish it.
for stress relief?
mr_gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2019, 08:58 PM   #256
THC
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16610M
Quote:
Seems a tad expensive. That is all.
Nope, right in line with a DJ41

Google is your friend
THC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2019, 08:59 PM   #257
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
���� that made me laugh to be fair.

I’ve been advised to go to the news papers if Rolex refuse to do anything about it - it sounds petty but I’m sure they wouldn’t want the bad press - just like I don’t want a copper colour watch or a Rolex that looks 20+ years old because I’ve had it polished (especially when it’s not even a year old)

I fully agree that over time this could happen to gold - but not after its first exposure to chlorine regardless of strength.
If you can take space away from Brexit and Meghan's Baby I am all for it!

Altho the DM comments section will roast you alive as a poor little rich cry baby.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2019, 09:00 PM   #258
Merkaholic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust 41, Datej
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Loooool....... Well said

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
Merkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2019, 09:03 PM   #259
Shaney
"TRF" Member

Sore one mate.

Hopefully a quick resolution
Shaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2019, 09:12 PM   #260
capital
"TRF" Member

So unlucky...
If you're certain the watch is genuine, I would do the following: 1) try to get it fixed for free by RSC, if not successful 2) contact Rolex executives (e.g. on Linkedin) and expose your problem to them.

The press threatening with Rolex can be a dangerous journey.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
capital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2019, 09:36 PM   #261
RobearH
Banned

Watch: 126710 BLRO
Quote:
���� that made me laugh to be fair.

Undoubtedly way more bad press here amongst the 9+ pages of opinion and discussion from real Rolex fans then any newspaper could accomplish IMO.
RobearH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2019, 09:44 PM   #262
bigfatpauli
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capital View Post
So unlucky...
If you're certain the watch is genuine, I would do the following: 1) try to get it fixed for free by RSC, if not successful 2) contact Rolex executives (e.g. on Linkedin) and expose your problem to them.

The press threatening with Rolex can be a dangerous journey.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
If Rolex covers it under-warranty, that's great. If Rolex says this isn't a defect - which it isn't - and doesn't cover it under warranty - which they don't if it isn't a defect - and decide that this is considered abuse or neglect - leaving it in a soup of chemicals probably is - why is the answer to try and bully the executives and force the company's hand?

Why is this the modern approach to not getting your way?

Whoever said the customer is always right, never met social media.

Keep in mind, I am not saying Rolex should or shouldn't cover this, I am saying publicly bullying companies, in many cases, isn't right. If Rolex has a black and white policy and they follow that policy, then it is uncalled for in my eyes.
bigfatpauli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2019, 09:53 PM   #263
Littletommy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatpauli View Post
If Rolex covers it under-warranty, that's great. If Rolex says this isn't a defect - which it isn't - and doesn't cover it under warranty - which they don't if it isn't a defect - and decide that this is considered abuse or neglect - leaving it in a soup of chemicals probably is - why is the answer to try and bully the executives and force the company's hand?

Keep in mind, I am not saying Rolex should or shouldn't cover this, I am saying publicly bullying companies, in many cases, isn't right. If Rolex has a black and white policy and they follow that policy, then it is uncalled for in my eyes.

You're making a lot of assumptions and drawing premature conclusions. Why not let Rolex determine the outcome?
Littletommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2019, 09:58 PM   #264
bigfatpauli
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littletommy View Post
You're making a lot of assumptions and drawing premature conclusions. Why not let Rolex determine the outcome?
I'm asking in a general sense. We that that behaviour often now and it was already suggested and despite, as you said, Rolex not yet having made a decision, it was already suggested above.

I'm not suggesting it, I was asking why more why it was already an option when it should be at this stage in the game.
bigfatpauli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2019, 10:02 PM   #265
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
Wow that’s crazy. I hope a polish takes care of it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 7 May 2019, 10:04 PM   #266
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post

Altho the DM comments section will roast you alive as a poor little rich cry baby.
You could answer any question ever posed with “don’t read the Daily Mail” and you’d be correct
Old 7 May 2019, 10:07 PM   #267
Brny11
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Calling it bullying is a bit subjective. I look at it as forcing Rolex to consider this case with a bit more sensitivity than the other hundreds of watches they get a day to inspect. Which is appropriate as this issue is somewhat unprecedented (based on OPs claim, which we have to assume to be true). At that point, Rolex should have a very clear and concise response as to why they will or will not fix under warranty when they come back with a decision.

If you don’t “bully” them a bit, they very well may quickly pass over this watch as neglect and move on to the next case in their endless stack without much consideration.

I 100% believe this should not happen in a hot tub for < an hour. Granted I was lazy in science lol!
Brny11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2019, 10:12 PM   #268
LukeGreg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'm asking in a general sense. We that that behaviour often now and it was already suggested and despite, as you said, Rolex not yet having made a decision, it was already suggested above.

I'm not suggesting it, I was asking why more why it was already an option when it should be at this stage in the game.

It was advised that I should do so IF they dont fix it - Its an option.

We all have different opinions on this but at the end of the day lets look at the facts.

I bought a brand new authentic Rolex in Jan 2019, May 2019 I wore it in a hot tub and it got ruined.

Regardless of chlorine levels, if it can attack the gold like this then Rolex should state it (Waterproof only counts if you are in the sea or fresh water pond)

What happens if I was sat around the pool on holiday and some kid splashed my watch? should I then invoice his parents because the poor kid damaged my highly sensitive watch?
LukeGreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2019, 10:45 PM   #269
rollin62
"TRF" Member

Watch: Detroit Watch Co
Sorry to see this happen to such an awesome watch, nice pick, its one of my favorites. I would be terribly upset as well.
Did you or anyone else have on any other gold jewelry? If so, was any of it affected?
For all the Rolexes in hot tubs, there has to be 1000 times more gold rings/wedding bands in hot tubs and you don't really hear about this happening. The chemicals must have been really out of wack. Hopefully this gets resolved for you as cheaply as possible.
rollin62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2019, 10:54 PM   #270
DaytonaAllDay
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Daytonas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFBHD View Post
Ahhhhh it looks like the first "Rolex" I purchased on Canal St in NYC..back in the 80s ...no way this would happen with quality gold....something fishy here!!! I have seen tons of gold Rolex watches in hot tubs on ski trips and vacation resorts .. my wife wears gold all the time in our jacuzzi.....this looks like gold plating
The above is a highly incompetent post.

Rolex's 18K yellow gold alloy consists of only 75% pure gold. The rest consists of equal amounts copper and silver (12.5% each). While gold is mostly inert under common "worldly" conditions, both copper and silver oxidize quite easily (and quickly) when exposed to oxidizing chemicals such as calcium or sodium hypochlorite, commonly used in pools and hot tubs. The oxidation products copper oxide (black) and silver oxide (brownish/black) ultimately lead to a tarnished 18K gold material as shown here. This is quite trivial, not uncommon at all in chemistry or material science, and has nothing to do with the authenticity of the watch (I think it is authentic) but with the inherent chemistry of the materials used by Rolex. Most likely, the hypochlorite levels were off in the hot tub which vastly accelerated the oxidation process of copper and silver present in the watch parts. However, this oxidation does happen to a certain extent to every 18K gold part exposed to hypochlorite, you just cannot see it right away and, due to the high porosity/poor adherence characteristics of the oxidation products, comes off easily when wiped off with any type of cloth afterwards so you think that no oxidation happened at all, which is wrong.

Gold plating is commonly a 14K or 18K gold layer deposited on top of a much cheaper material (such as steel) to give the part a look like solid gold. This is exactly why oxidation processes of this thin gold layer happen just like they do on solid gold, as the surface of solid gold can oxidize precisely like the surface of a gold plating. Both would look the same when exposed to oxidizing chemicals.

In conclusion, I think that this is not a quality issue that Rolex needs to address and will therefore not be covered by the 5-year warranty. Depending on the service center, they may offer to polish the watch for free. If not, they will charge you for a polish which should not be very expensive and will be able to remove most or all of the tarnish. It is correct, however, that the fluted bezel will not look quite as crisp as it did before the polish but Rolex knows what they are doing.
DaytonaAllDay is offline   Reply With Quote