The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 29 October 2020, 05:19 AM   #151
JakeK
"TRF" Member

Watch: VCO
I think it's a really good question. We each approach the subject differently and that is ok.

A little over a year ago i was in an AD, inquiring about a few different Rolex models. I was asked if i wanted to be placed on a waiting list for one of them. I declined and told them as much as I would like to, i didn't have the cash in hand to buy if the watch came in the next week and that as soon as i did, I'd call them back up.

We are doing a home renovation right now and right now also I have money to buy both watches on my list, the GS Snowflake and the Rolex Explorer I, but i told myself no watch until the renovation is finished and paid for. I've been burned in the past hence my more cautious approach.

15 years ago, i would have added myself to the waitlist with no delay and with my luck, only to have the watch come in the next day and have to decline.
JakeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2020, 05:29 AM   #152
JoseR
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air King, Omega AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeK View Post
I think it's a really good question. We each approach the subject differently and that is ok.

A little over a year ago i was in an AD, inquiring about a few different Rolex models. I was asked if i wanted to be placed on a waiting list for one of them. I declined and told them as much as I would like to, i didn't have the cash in hand to buy if the watch came in the next week and that as soon as i did, I'd call them back up.

We are doing a home renovation right now and right now also I have money to buy both watches on my list, the GS Snowflake and the Rolex Explorer I, but i told myself no watch until the renovation is finished and paid for. I've been burned in the past hence my more cautious approach.

15 years ago, i would have added myself to the waitlist with no delay and with my luck, only to have the watch come in the next day and have to decline.
You did the right thing. Home renovation is more of a priority than buying a watch. Having the house in good shape is always important, you can always get a watch when things are done on the house. Can't sleep or live in a watch, all it could do is tell you the time and you don't need to spend a couple K's to know the time.. Good thinking..
JoseR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2020, 06:23 AM   #153
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemaboy View Post
Apparently that's not the case for some on here!

I think the other viewpoint is that beyond an act of god, there should be financial sufficiency to manage the purchase regardless of any of the usual unforeseen expenses which may crop up.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2020, 06:24 AM   #154
UK AP
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by kieselguhr View Post
I don’t go asking for watches if I don’t have money to pay for it in full. If the money is already designated for something, it doesn’t get used for anything else.
Same as this
UK AP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2020, 03:39 AM   #155
A-Wax
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpt.calvin View Post
Apparently you can tell when the time comes when you put your name on "the list."

For the rest of us regular humans, we cannot see the future. I put my name in for a 116500 a few weeks ago. I was and still am financially prepared to purchase it if my AD calls today. But tomorrow is not promised. I pray that I and my family stay in good health, no major life crises arise, etc. But sh*t happens. And the wait for a 116500 is likely years for most of us that are not big-spenders with the AD. And if my mom came to me with an urgent financial emergency and I could help...you bet your ass I'd do anything for that woman.
All of this. Nothing wrong with the original question IMO.
A-Wax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2020, 03:47 AM   #156
sokoloka
"TRF" Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemaboy View Post
In answer to those who have responded with the suggestion that the money should be in place and ringfenced at the time of the request I would hazard a guess that 99% of people do so in good faith.

I’ve only recently put in a request for a Pepsi or Batman (would be my first and probably only Rolex) and have my Rolex fund in place. It is a decent chunk of my overall savings which over time I hope to replenish. However if my roof caved in tomorrow I wouldn’t hesitate to access this fund if needed to rebuild it (cue criticism about my failure to properly maintain my roof supports).

Does that really mean I shouldn’t be in the market for a Pepsi?
Only YOU can decide that for you, but I personally wouldn't be. Nothing wrong with either viewpoint.
Old 30 October 2020, 06:14 AM   #157
sarey
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5712g-001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
That’s not what he asked
+1 .... what is it with some people ...
Patek Philippe 5712g-001
Breitling Emergency
sarey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2021, 11:59 PM   #158
dpt.calvin
"TRF" Member

A bit of a twist on the topic. Rather than getting the call from an AD…

Anyone ever save up for a watch but by the time you’re ready to pull the trigger you realize the market value has gone up $10k? In other words, the goal post keeps moving further and further. I assume this happens quite often in today’s world.
Old 25 November 2021, 12:06 AM   #159
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

The „don’t get on a list until ready to pay in full“ crowd is clearly omitting that to get a watch these days, you have to be on multiple lists. And if you are on different lists for different watches, it’s not beyond possible that you buy the first one you get a call for and then immediately get another call for something else you’d have liked as well. Happened to me with a Submariner, which came in just after I had bought the Pepsi in 2019. My set aside money had gone into the latter and a Vacheron I‘d bought earlier that summer, so obviously I passed on the Sub - still kinda regretted I had to, until I recently put that to rest with my SD43.

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Nav01L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2021, 03:52 AM   #160
Bobbyfat
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD 116600
Clearly, when you approach an AD by telling him about your research, be prepared for him to remind you if you have aroused his interest and shown him that you are passionate!
This year I went twice to a Parisian AD, telling him about the models that interested me (obviously I had put aside the funds to offer them to myself), so in February for a pro (on my GMT Pepsi list / Dayto / SD43 / James Cameron), I was contacted 2 months later for an SD43 ... while in the meantime I had bought a James CAMERON elsewhere, I organized myself to find cash by selling an Explo2 and I was able to offer it to me!
In October 2021, I approached my AD again for a DJ 126234 Cannelé blue on jubilee, 1 month later she contacted me again but each time I had to make the payment quickly and here I am with a magnificent DJ since yesterday !
ADs see potential buyers who pledge their word and respect it, they will more easily come back to those who are reliable.
This is how we create a link with an AD, not to scatter and be patient!
Bobbyfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2021, 04:06 AM   #161
jaySL350
"TRF" Member

Watch: BBG,Hulk,16013,DJB
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeK View Post

GS SD Snowflake is a beauty and one I be adding in the near future,,,,
jaySL350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2021, 04:10 AM   #162
MasonDixon
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Anyone ever save up for a watch but by the time you’re ready to pull the trigger you realize the market value has gone up $10k? In other words, the goal post keeps moving further and further. I assume this happens quite often in today’s world.
It's happening to a lot of enthusiasts.
MasonDixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2021, 07:05 AM   #163
greeneyedguy
Banned

I was offered a hulk, batman, and an omega Apollo 11 while I was saving for a white Daytona. I turned them down because I had focused on one watch. On my wrist now is a white Daytona. Don't waste the AD's time if you are not serious and If you can't afford a Rolex then work on improving your situation until you can make good on your agreement.
greeneyedguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2021, 08:12 AM   #164
SLSteve
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRabbit View Post
Twice actually.

This one hurt the most... Back in July of this year I did. Had just purchased a DJ41 on a Saturday. By Tuesday, I also was craving something else so I went in to another AD. I was put on the waiting list for a Sub, but I knew what that meant, especially as I had no purchase history... So I immediately went to another AD right after I left the Rolex AD and that same Tuesday evening I purchased an Omega SeaMaster and a Breitling. That VERY NEXT day, Wednesday, I got a text from the AD saying they had a 116610LN for me.... Needless to say, I had blown my watch fund and turned it down. Only to lose $3k by purchasing a 116610LN just a couple weeks ago through gray market.

Towards the beginning of 2020, I was put on the list for Rhodium dial Yachtmaster at an entirely different AD from the ones mentioned earlier. It took maybe two months before she texted me she had one for me. But in the meantime I purchased a Grand Seiko diver that used up my watch fund for the time being. So turned that one down too. But that one didn’t hurt much as I preferred the GS anyways.
I don’t get it. If you spend so much on ‘normal’ watches why not do this at a Rolex dealer that also has these brands? Getting these hard to get pieces would be much easier then.
SLSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2021, 09:31 AM   #165
Solo118
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I think if you put the money in the stock market when you put yourself on the list, when you finally get the call you can probably buy 2 pieces
Solo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2021, 11:07 AM   #166
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
I have turned down watches offered by the AD, but not because I couldn’t afford them
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2021, 11:12 AM   #167
Johnnie Peh
"TRF" Member

Watch: 44 SS 44 RG.
Had been offer a AP 26331 blue during March 2020..
Johnnie Peh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2021, 11:17 AM   #168
dpt.calvin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inadeje View Post
I have turned down watches offered by the AD, but not because I couldn’t afford them
What’s that have to do with this thread?
Old 25 November 2021, 11:18 AM   #169
dpt.calvin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnie Peh View Post
Had been offer a AP 26331 blue during March 2020..
Ah, an uncertain time. Can I assume you passed? Any regrets or was it the right decision?
Old 25 November 2021, 01:08 PM   #170
Emery
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What’s that have to do with this thread?
Tell me you’re rich without telling me you’re rich.
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2021, 01:43 PM   #171
mquarter
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5-digit steel
Quote:
Apparently you can tell when the time comes when you put your name on "the list."

For the rest of us regular humans, we cannot see the future. I put my name in for a 116500 a few weeks ago. I was and still am financially prepared to purchase it if my AD calls today. But tomorrow is not promised. I pray that I and my family stay in good health, no major life crises arise, etc. But sh*t happens. And the wait for a 116500 is likely years for most of us that are not big-spenders with the AD. And if my mom came to me with an urgent financial emergency and I could help...you bet your ass I'd do anything for that woman.
Right, this is sensible. Who knows when or if it'll even happen. Other than being prepared to use it for major emergencies etc, even if you set aside the disposable income it doesn't make sense for it to be sitting in cash for an open ended period of time.
mquarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2021, 01:47 PM   #172
Oystersteel92
"TRF" Member

My wife and I are blessed to be in a good place financially, but the fact is that we both work for the same company so the majority of our income comes from one place.

At the start of Covid in March 2020 (when the stock market was down 30%), I talked my AD into allocating me a SS Daytona. I absolutely had the cash, but since things were so uncertain, I sought out a credit card balance transfer and got one for a 3% fee and then 18 months no further interest. My company, despite doing very well during the pandemic, executed a large and broad layoff in July 2020, surprising pretty much everybody. My wife and I were very fortunate not to be caught in it, but it would have proven out my instinct to float that expense rather than take the money from savings.

In the end, I paid it off no problem, but I view the $510 transfer fee to have been money well spent. I certainly wasn't going to turn down the Daytona with sitting in front of me.

That being said, if one of us HAD been laid off, and the offer of the Daytona had some shortly after, I would have been forced to turn it down.
Oystersteel92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2021, 02:10 PM   #173
SLWoodster
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
Got the call for a olive dial day date earlier this year. turned it down. it shot to $70k. LOL.
SLWoodster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2021, 02:22 PM   #174
watchyoutalkingbout
"TRF" Member

Yes, right now. I had several unexpected expenses. Called the AD and told him I need another month or two. The watch isn't here yet (I've been waiting about 4 months) anyway. ETA was December/Jan. I'm thinking Feb now.
watchyoutalkingbout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2021, 08:21 PM   #175
minute_man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BoctokKomandirskie
Yes, I've been there, done that. More than once, actually.

I have nothing to prove to anybody. I play no games.

My disposable (so called) funds are limited. Watches are not the only thing I like in this life and if opportunity or need arises, I put the funds in good use. I have no problem whatsoever "my" AD knowing my circumstances.
Communication is key. We set out a mutually agreed time frame for my next purchase(s) and try to stick to it, if possible. We frequently check out on each other depending on funds / watches available. If everything aligns, there's a sale / purchase made. If not, we postpone and re-arrange accordingly.
Given the current demand, I'm sure I'm not hurting the ADs business. They already "have" me. They can move on to the next (soon to be) happy client.
minute_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2021, 09:20 PM   #176
Cotterel
Banned

I haven't gotten "the call" yet, still on the list hopefully I wouldn't have to decline when I get the call.
Cotterel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2021, 11:42 PM   #177
apinault
Banned

Just once sadly. I’d just gotten the call for an SD43 this January, and about 2 months later I got the call for a DJ41, smooth, black, oyster. I really wanted it but I’d just put a bunch of cash back into the market, I had a home repair and property taxes to pay, so I turned it down. Looking back, should have taken and just sold a few shares of Alphabet lol 😢
apinault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2021, 02:51 AM   #178
franktehtank
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub, GMT
To me, "afford" and "be comfortable purchasing" are different. I may be able to afford a watch they offer me, but whether it's a smart time to purchase might be a different story. Watches are not the most important thing in life.

Saying that, I have a tidy sum in my war chest waiting for a few calls over the next couple years. I'm locked and loaded.
franktehtank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2021, 03:12 AM   #179
Jpccarguy
2024 Pledge Member

Senior in college, the kid now says a master’s degree is in the future. We’ll see how the watch collecting fund manages….
Jpccarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2021, 03:14 AM   #180
xrole
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieselguhr View Post
I don’t go asking for watches if I don’t have money to pay for it in full. If the money is already designated for something, it doesn’t get used for anything else.
What a load of smug and pretentious claptrap. Obviously situations can change over time and if you are on the list for years before you get a call then it's possible you aren't in the same financial situation as before whether due to employment situation or illness or whatever.
xrole is offline   Reply With Quote