The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 12 October 2019, 09:54 PM   #31
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshwatchman View Post
It's a function of the unwarranted trustworthiness of a total stranger, by a member, just because he's (it's always a male, go figure) a "Rolex Forum Member".

The scams will go on as long as :

A. We allow the FS section to continue. If ended, they will happen elsewhere,
B. Members fail to take all reasonable measures of due diligence.

Predators will be where the potential victims are. Sending a non-reversible payment of $10k + to a total stranger is always potentially problematic.

Yet people do this and usually it's OK. I'd never do it, ever.
Neither would I Paul. It's been said 100 times over.
Old 12 October 2019, 09:58 PM   #32
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman View Post
Neither would I Paul. It's been said 100 times over.
Yep

It would also help if members were more careful and didn’t stick their passwords in links and get phished. Many of us have never been scammed or phished by being careful and paying attention. Sorry but it is what it is. I would never deal with anyone here other than the top handful of well known, long time, established and trusted sellers. If it can’t be an AD then pay the price and take the safest route.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2019, 04:52 AM   #33
Topspin14m
"TRF" Member

HELP! My STOLEN Omega is being sold on this Forum!

Quote:
It's a function of the unwarranted trustworthiness of a total stranger, by a member, just because he's (it's always a male, go figure) a "Rolex Forum Member".

Predators will be where the potential victims are. Sending a non-reversible payment of $10k + to a total stranger is always potentially problematic.

Mods here do a fantastic job. I don’t think there are enough posts praising the work they do. It’s easy to criticize, but the fact that this forum is a place where people feel comfortable engaging in these transactions (and the fact that the vast vast majority are legitimate) is a great testament to their work. As someone who is wearing a watch right now that I purchased through the forum, I am grateful for the work you guys do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Topspin14m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2019, 06:18 AM   #34
GSDLover
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5205r-010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspin14m View Post
Mods here do a fantastic job. I don’t think there are enough posts praising the work they do. It’s easy to criticize, but the fact that this forum is a place where people feel comfortable engaging in these transactions (and the fact that the vast vast majority are legitimate) is a great testament to their work. As someone who is wearing a watch right now that I purchased through the forum, I am grateful for the work you guys do.

I agree. The amount of time they devote and the dedication is impressive.
GSDLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2019, 07:57 AM   #35
CorradoBrit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspin14m View Post

Agreed 1000%. Bought my JLC Sector Dial Chrono on TRF. Trouble free transacton.
CorradoBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2019, 03:07 PM   #36
cajunron
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega Seamaster PO
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
Yep

It would also help if members were more careful and didn’t stick their passwords in links and get phished. Many of us have never been scammed or phished by being careful and paying attention. Sorry but it is what it is. I would never deal with anyone here other than the top handful of well known, long time, established and trusted sellers. If it can’t be an AD then pay the price and take the safest route.
Making deals with complete strangers, involving thousands of dollars can never be a good idea. There will never be a shortage of these lowlife scumbags waiting to take advantage of someone. And I would never hesitate to use TRF to buy from a verified, TRUSTED seller, like I did when I bought my Omega PO (which was a lot of money for me).
Old 16 October 2019, 04:01 PM   #37
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunron View Post
... And I would never hesitate to use TRF to buy from a verified, TRUSTED seller...
Not calling you out specifically, just this concept.

I searched around a bit and there doesn't seem to be any list of " trusted sellers" on TRF. People keep throwing this term around as if there is a sanctioning body. There isn't. Sure, there are people that have been on the forum for a while and members that trust them, but that does not verify them as "TRUSTED". These Scammed threads always have someone pointing out that had they just used a "verified TRUSTED" seller, then all would have been okay.

This is from the for sale sticky;

"TRF has no control over the authenticity or quality of the items advertised, the truth or accuracy of the descriptions, the ability of sellers to deliver items, or the ability of buyers to pay for items. TRF cannot ensure that a buyer or seller will actually complete a transaction. TRF cannot verify the actual identity of buyers or sellers or the authenticity of the goods for sale. TRF accepts no responsibility"

I think the real answer to these issues is this; If you don't receive your money or product do you have any reasonable recourse to recover it? If the answer is no, then don't do it.

Take a chance if you can afford it. Heck I typed "verified TRUSTED" in my signature. Guess I'm TRUSTED now too. Buy some stuff from me now. I'll put "stuff" in a box and mark it TRUSTED, but all you'll get is a box of verified TRUST.

Be safe out there people.
002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2019, 09:26 PM   #38
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Quote:
Originally Posted by 002 View Post
Buy some stuff from me now. I'll put "stuff" in a box and mark it TRUSTED, but all you'll get is a box of verified TRUST.
Can I get two of those, please?

LOL.

You made some good points.

The sad thing is, is that it's a dangerous world out there. I was watching the local TeeVee news, and they had a story about some guy who had ripped off a bunch of people using the Craigslist rental home scam. The reporter interviewed some Realtor guy who said "always check these folks out" but his examples and methods were lame. I always do a lot of investigating of anyone that I buy from or sell to. Sure it's a pain and maybe I'm a bit paranoid, but just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that they're really not out to get you.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2019, 11:01 PM   #39
ron2368
"TRF" Member

Besides someone being "Trusted" , how can you check if a seller's account has been appropriated by a hacker?

One of the posts in this area recently was a regular who was hacked and the hacker was selling in the guy's account. If you checked the reference area you would think you are dealing with the account holder. Seems that 99.9% of sales go OK but when things go bad it's really bad. I am new here so just inquiring. Thank you
ron2368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2019, 02:58 AM   #40
lear60man
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m j b View Post

LOL.

You made some good points.

The sad thing is, is that it's a dangerous world out there. I was watching the local TeeVee news, and they had a story about some guy who had ripped off a bunch of people using the Craigslist rental home scam. The reporter interviewed some Realtor guy who said "always check these folks out" but his examples and methods were lame. I always do a lot of investigating of anyone that I buy from or sell to. Sure it's a pain and maybe I'm a bit paranoid, but just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that they're really not out to get you.
Agreed in spades. I google the hell out of any and all information the seller has. Name, phone number, address, email addy. If anything doesnt match up, or if its a strange email like johndoe737373737@gmail.com walk. Email addy and phone numbers should have a decent amount of google results that build a history. Half the time when I google a persons email addy from the 'Watch out' section, there is just a reference back to 'watch out'.

Buying from a brick and mortar location is another layer of protection.
lear60man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2019, 03:14 AM   #41
psv
"TRF" Member

Sorry for the OP. Mods took immediate action - well done.

"And hey, let's be careful out there!" (que theme song to Hill Street Blues...)
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2019, 04:10 AM   #42
Topspin14m
"TRF" Member

HELP! My STOLEN Omega is being sold on this Forum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron2368 View Post
Besides someone being "Trusted" , how can you check if a seller's account has been appropriated by a hacker?

One of the posts in this area recently was a regular who was hacked and the hacker was selling in the guy's account. If you checked the reference area you would think you are dealing with the account holder. Seems that 99.9% of sales go OK but when things go bad it's really bad. I am new here so just inquiring. Thank you

What I would do is find posts made by the same seller previously. Email the email in those posts and call the phone number in those older posts. Or try to find other social media/older posts on other sites that are unlikely to also be compromised. That will ensure you that you are talking with the same person that you see has the positive feedback.

Topspin14m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2019, 03:59 AM   #43
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m j b View Post

LOL.
Of course. I’ll package it in one box to save on shipping fees, but I promise it’s 2 servings of trust (as reflected by the increased price). *wire transfer saves 3%.

Old 21 October 2019, 10:11 AM   #44
cajunron

Quote:
Not calling you out specifically, just this concept.

I searched around a bit and there doesn't seem to be any list of " trusted sellers" on TRF. People keep throwing this term around as if there is a sanctioning body. There isn't. Sure, there are people that have been on the forum for a while and members that trust them, but that does not verify them as "TRUSTED". These Scammed threads always have someone pointing out that had they just used a "verified TRUSTED" seller, then all would have been okay.

This is from the for sale sticky;

"TRF has no control over the authenticity or quality of the items advertised, the truth or accuracy of the descriptions, the ability of sellers to deliver items, or the ability of buyers to pay for items. TRF cannot ensure that a buyer or seller will actually complete a transaction. TRF cannot verify the actual identity of buyers or sellers or the authenticity of the goods for sale. TRF accepts no responsibility"

I think the real answer to these issues is this; If you don't receive your money or product do you have any reasonable recourse to recover it? If the answer is no, then don't do it.

Take a chance if you can afford it. Heck I typed "verified TRUSTED" in my signature. Guess I'm TRUSTED now too. Buy some stuff from me now. I'll put "stuff" in a box and mark it TRUSTED, but all you'll get is a box of verified TRUST.

Be safe out there people.
You won't find a LIST of trusted sellers or guarantees anywhere here. And no, not even a sanctioning body. If you have spent a decent amount of time here, you might realize that 'trusted' sellers are those that have earned their trust by their actions, what they do when things might go wrong, and their reputations; over and over again. It's more of a concept and ideal, and you won't find it in writing. You just have to spend a little time here and use common sense. It's not too difficult. If anyone has to ask who these sellers are, they shouldn't risk it.
(Not singling you out, either.)
Old 22 October 2019, 02:50 PM   #45
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunron View Post
You won't find a LIST of trusted sellers or guarantees anywhere here. And no, not even a sanctioning body. If you have spent a decent amount of time here, you might realize that 'trusted' sellers are those that have earned their trust by their actions, what they do when things might go wrong, and their reputations; over and over again. It's more of a concept and ideal, and you won't find it in writing. You just have to spend a little time here and use common sense. It's not too difficult. If anyone has to ask who these sellers are, they shouldn't risk it.
(Not singling you out, either.)
Of course I understand that. That's why I offered the idea that in lieu of knowing who to trust, just don't make a deal that leaves you no recourse in case of fraud.

For arguments sake, its difficult to hear people say "Even though we keep recommending trusted sellers, there's no list of them. And, you should know who they are and if you don't, then you shouldn't buy a watch".

I don't need a shepard to guide me through watch purchases, but some people do. And I called attention to this advice because it sort of makes sense until you piece it together. Then it just sounds empty.

(Again, not taking any offense to your comment. I'm fine with being challenged/corrected. I do think this topic is worth examining considering all the fraud posts lately)

Last edited by 002; 22 October 2019 at 02:51 PM.. Reason: spelling
002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2019, 10:30 AM   #46
cajunron

Quote:
Of course I understand that. That's why I offered the idea that in lieu of knowing who to trust, just don't make a deal that leaves you no recourse in case of fraud.

For arguments sake, its difficult to hear people say "Even though we keep recommending trusted sellers, there's no list of them. And, you should know who they are and if you don't, then you shouldn't buy a watch".

I don't need a shepard to guide me through watch purchases, but some people do. And I called attention to this advice because it sort of makes sense until you piece it together. Then it just sounds empty.

(Again, not taking any offense to your comment. I'm fine with being challenged/corrected. I do think this topic is worth examining considering all the fraud posts lately)
Try looking here:Buyers/Sellers "Who's Who". And I hate to see anyone lose their hard earned money to scumbag scammers. It is a virtual minefield out there.
Old 23 October 2019, 11:41 AM   #47
BrazenC5
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1665,1675,1680,SD4
Quote:
I'll put "stuff" in a box and mark it TRUSTED, but all you'll get is a box of verified TRUST.
Tommy Boy! Love that movie.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
BrazenC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2019, 01:02 PM   #48
dera
"TRF" Member

You just have to be careful.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=703019

This apparently just got sold. Fake strap.
dera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2019, 01:53 PM   #49
BrazenC5
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1665,1675,1680,SD4
Quote:
Originally Posted by dera View Post
You just have to be careful.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=703019

This apparently just got sold. Fake strap.
Are you referring to the black kevlar strap? It was noted in the ad. Or are you saying the brown leather straps with embossed IWC, etc are fake?

BrazenC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2019, 09:04 PM   #50
dera
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazenC5 View Post
Are you referring to the black kevlar strap? It was noted in the ad. Or are you saying the brown leather straps with embossed IWC, etc are fake?

The brown strap is fake.
dera is offline   Reply With Quote