The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 13 October 2017, 03:03 PM   #61
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatsNext View Post
Why is that? Rao's is no more difficult to score a reservation than some of the other names mentioned here.

Le Bernadin, Per Se, Jean Georges, Chefs Table at Brooklyn Fare, and even Marea are all booked 30+ days in advance for dinner unless you like eating at 5:30pm
As of 2 years ago, when I last lived in NY, it was impossible to get a table at Rao's. The tables were all spoken for. Even if you were an A-list celebrity or a head of state, it was still a no. You needed to find a friend with a table and have them invite you.

EMP was possible if you called as soon as reservations for the month opened.

Per Se was not that difficult, only requires some advance notice.

The other ones I have trouble remembering how the booking was made
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2017, 06:51 PM   #62
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by underpar31009 View Post
Now we are talking! All I need now is a great spot for hot stacks or an omelette.

I like the spotted pig, cookshop, and best bagel but there’s a lot of options
Old 14 October 2017, 12:02 AM   #63
tbonesteak
"TRF" Member

Watch: me go broke!
I was under the impression that Rao's was almost co-op like and you had to own a table? Regardless, I've been there once and I was just part of a group.

My understanding is it is absolutely impossible to get a reservation there, much much much much more than the others listed (where tbh I've never had much of an issue).
tbonesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2017, 12:16 AM   #64
tbonesteak
"TRF" Member

Let's talk steakhouses now that the conversation is evolving a little.

I'll list my favorite dishes and locations they're served at:

Appetizer - Del Frisco's Grille; cheesesteak springrolls, delicious if you're in the mood to be a fatass, I usually am.

Best thick bacon - Quality Meats; their peanut butter and jalapeno jelly bacon is excellent.

Steak - Wolfgangs; while this can be argued ad nauseam, it's just my personal favorite.

Sides - Strip House; their goose fat potatoes are excellent (their creamed spinach is also noteworthy). Wolfgangs German Potatoes give them a run though as does the lobster mac n cheese from Del Frisco's DoubleEagle.

Dessert - Strip House; if you've got room, get the 24 layer cake. The strudel with homemade cream is great at Wolfgangs too (and I'm not even a strudel guy).

I've eaten at just about every steakhouse this city has to offer and have kinda landed on my favorites. I actually used to enjoy Porter House in the Time Warner building, but the quality of the meal has gone down, maybe their chef left or something.
Old 14 October 2017, 12:24 AM   #65
WhatsNext
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
As of 2 years ago, when I last lived in NY, it was impossible to get a table at Rao's. The tables were all spoken for. Even if you were an A-list celebrity or a head of state, it was still a no. You needed to find a friend with a table and have them invite you.

EMP was possible if you called as soon as reservations for the month opened.

Per Se was not that difficult, only requires some advance notice.

The other ones I have trouble remembering how the booking was made
Advance notice or time is the only things standing in your way of a reservation, anywhere and everywhere. Rao's isn't a private club. You can't call Rao's to get a reservation because the answer will always be No

Walk in between lunch and dinner, ask the guy about a future date (30+ days) and grease his palm a bit and there you go... It's old school NY Italian

It's difficult to get a reservation because its a small restaurant, not because it's extraordinary. If you really want to try it, get on a plane to Vegas and get a table without much of a wait most weekdays or have your VIP host make a reservation.
Or you can run to your local grocery and buy a bottle of their sauce. It isn' t much better at the restaurant, seriously.
WhatsNext is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2017, 02:02 AM   #66
tbonesteak
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Walk in between lunch and dinner, ask the guy about a future date (30+ days) and grease his palm a bit and there you go... It's old school NY Italian
This sounds like a lot of work to begin with and it isn't like they're conveniently located.
Old 14 October 2017, 02:33 AM   #67
mtrunner
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126508 Paul Newman
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbonesteak View Post
This sounds like a lot of work to begin with and it isn't like they're conveniently located.
Not to mention that you have to "grease his palm" to even get considered for a reservation. I have never eaten there but I have heard that it isn't that great. They have created the allure by making it nearly impossible for the average Joe to get a reservation.
mtrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2017, 03:11 AM   #68
WhatsNext
"TRF" Member

Quote:
How hard is it to take an Uber to E114th? You said its impossible to get a reservation and then its too impractical. Well, if you want to go, thats how you do it. Its a myth that its impossible. But if I'm in that area, I'd rather go the the original Patsy's

I think Italian American food is awful but if you want the best, Rao's is the best. The Raos empire if based solely on bottled sauce and is what is financing its growth. Buy a bottle and it pretty much tastes the same without the headache of making the reservation.
Old 14 October 2017, 03:24 AM   #69
tbonesteak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
How hard is it to take an Uber to E114th? You said its impossible to get a reservation and then its too impractical. Well, if you want to go, thats how you do it. Its a myth that its impossible. But if I'm in that area, I'd rather go the the original Patsy's

I think Italian American food is awful but if you want the best, Rao's is the best. The Raos empire if based solely on bottled sauce and is what is financing its growth. Buy a bottle and it pretty much tastes the same without the headache of making the reservation.
To be fair, I said "my understanding is" - glad that has now been debunked.

Now I know... All I have to do is hop in a cab to Spanish Harlem in the afternoon, try to grease someone, and alas, hopefully I'll be enjoying my meal at some point during Q1 of 2018, simple!
Old 14 October 2017, 06:56 AM   #70
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

I’m not fond of their bottled sauce so I guess I’ll skip the restaurant lol
Old 14 October 2017, 07:44 AM   #71
crew
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi
Quote:

Appetizer - Del Frisco's Grille; cheesesteak springrolls, delicious if you're in the mood to be a fatass, I usually am.

Best thick bacon - Quality Meats; their peanut butter and jalapeno jelly bacon is excellent.

Steak - Wolfgangs; while this can be argued ad nauseam, it's just my personal favorite.

Sides - Strip House; their goose fat potatoes are excellent (their creamed spinach is also noteworthy). Wolfgangs German Potatoes give them a run though as does the lobster mac n cheese from Del Frisco's DoubleEagle.

Dessert - Strip House; if you've got room, get the 24 layer cake. The strudel with homemade cream is great at Wolfgangs too (and I'm not even a strudel guy).

I've eaten at just about every steakhouse this city has to offer and have kinda landed on my favorites. I actually used to enjoy Porter House in the Time Warner building, but the quality of the meal has gone down, maybe their chef left or something.
I’m headed to NYC in less than a month and, for the 3rd year in a row, failed to get reservations at Peter Luger. I missed the first day to call and got shut out.
We’re going to Benjamin’s Steakhouse. Ever been?
crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2017, 08:14 AM   #72
mtrunner
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126508 Paul Newman
Quote:

Funny you should say that. The last time my wife and I went to Porter House we left less than impressed. We had gone several times before and always enjoyed it but the last time we also thought the quality was off.
mtrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2017, 09:58 AM   #73
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
Advance notice or time is the only things standing in your way of a reservation, anywhere and everywhere. Rao's isn't a private club. You can't call Rao's to get a reservation because the answer will always be No

It's difficult to get a reservation because its a small restaurant, not because it's extraordinary. If you really want to try it, get on a plane to Vegas and get a table without much of a wait most weekdays or have your VIP host make a reservation.
Or you can run to your local grocery and buy a bottle of their sauce. It isn' t much better at the restaurant, seriously.
My friend's dad has had a table for many years and that's the route I'd use. But frankly I've never had interest in visting.

Many things I'd rather do than eat spaghetti next to eco-warrior Leo DiCaprio
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2017, 10:09 AM   #74
rdigate
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crew View Post
I’m headed to NYC in less than a month and, for the 3rd year in a row, failed to get reservations at Peter Luger. I missed the first day to call and got shut out.
We’re going to Benjamin’s Steakhouse. Ever been?

Peter Luger has a restaurant in Great Neck. It is about a 30 minute drive out on Long Island. There is always a debate about whether it is as good as the original but I have had great meals there as well. Much easier to get reservations and identical menu.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
rdigate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2017, 01:50 PM   #75
WhatsNext
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I’m not fond of their bottled sauce so I guess I’ll skip the restaurant lol
Thats as simple as it can get.

My point was if someone wanted to get NY Italian American, you might as well do it at Rao's. IMO its just bad tomato sauce that resembles nothing Italian but distinctly American food at this point.
Old 14 October 2017, 02:40 PM   #76
antbkny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dblue
Another great NY experience is Don Peppe on lefferts blvd. not far from JFK. Baked clams, linguini with white clam sauce is out of this world! Classic NYC old school place.
antbkny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2017, 01:14 AM   #77
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by antbkny View Post
Another great NY experience is Don Peppe on lefferts blvd. not far from JFK. Baked clams, linguini with white clam sauce is out of this world! Classic NYC old school place.
Is that the place they mention in entourage? It has to be haha
Old 15 October 2017, 01:27 AM   #78
antbkny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dblue
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Is that the place they mention in entourage? It has to be haha
could be, I haven’t seen that episode.
antbkny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2017, 05:41 AM   #79
RoyalOac
"TRF" Member

Regarding Rao's, I had a fantastic dinner a few years ago with my wife and a friend and her b/f. The table was a already 'owned' by the b/f 's client and that client comped the whole table, so yes, reservations there are impossible.
Rolex Submariner 126613 LB
Audemars Piguet Royal Oak 15300ST
RoyalOac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2017, 06:15 AM   #80
machob55
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdigate View Post
Peter Luger has a restaurant in Great Neck. It is about a 30 minute drive out on Long Island. There is always a debate about whether it is as good as the original but I have had great meals there as well. Much easier to get reservations and identical menu.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
There is also the Peter Luger's right at the entrance to the Williamsburg Bridge on the Brooklyn side.... totally classic restaurant

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk
machob55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2017, 10:19 AM   #81
underpar31009
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP and JLC
Quote:
Originally Posted by antbkny View Post
Love it! Sounds like a great one to add to the list.
underpar31009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2018, 12:22 PM   #82
underpar31009
"TRF" Member

Has anyone ever been to Keens steakhouse?
Old 26 February 2018, 12:44 PM   #83
car_wash_guy
"TRF" Member

These are my go to places:

Italian - Marea
Steak - Peter Luger in Brooklyn
Pizza - Juliana's
Espresso, Cappuccino and Brioche ( Croissant ) - Zibetto Espresso Bar.
car_wash_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2018, 12:48 PM   #84
underpar31009
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_wash_guy View Post
These are my go to places:

Italian - Marea
Steak - Peter Luger in Brooklyn
Pizza - Juliana's
Espresso, Cappuccino and Brioche ( Croissant ) - Zibetto Espresso Bar.
Awesome thanks! I’ll have to try Zibetto!
Old 26 February 2018, 01:58 PM   #85
wantonebad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126600, 116500LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by underpar31009 View Post
Has anyone ever been to Keens steakhouse?
Many times!! Fabulous place!
wantonebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2018, 02:04 PM   #86
underpar31009
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantonebad View Post
Many times!! Fabulous place!
Thanks Marc! Great to hear!
Old 26 February 2018, 02:27 PM   #87
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
Nello on Madison Avenue. High-quality Italian in a casual atmosphere with outdoor tables. Not one of those fancy restaurants, but you will see celebrities.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2018, 04:39 PM   #88
Max16013
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 16013
New York City Restaurants

Seeing as this threads still going I’ll chime in. I haven’t been myself, but I asked my dad this question last week as I plan on going soon and here were his recommendations:

Gallagher’s steak house
The 21 club - former speakeasy
Russian Tea Room
Umbertos Clam House (some cool history here as it is where joe gallo aka crazy joe was shot)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Max16013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2018, 12:50 PM   #89
underpar31009
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus49 View Post
Nello on Madison Avenue. High-quality Italian in a casual atmosphere with outdoor tables. Not one of those fancy restaurants, but you will see celebrities.
Awesome thx!!
Old 27 February 2018, 12:50 PM   #90
underpar31009
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max16013 View Post
Seeing as this threads still going I’ll chime in. I haven’t been myself, but I asked my dad this question last week as I plan on going soon and here were his recommendations:

Gallagher’s steak house
The 21 club - former speakeasy
Russian Tea Room
Umbertos Clam House (some cool history here as it is where joe gallo aka crazy joe was shot)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Will add to my list thx!!