The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 15 September 2017, 09:02 AM   #1
AlTinkster92
"TRF" Member

Speedy Pro Question

Hi Folks, proud owner of a 20th Anniversary Apollo 11 Speedy. 861 Movement.

My question is, how many times should I be winding it to get it fully wound? It quit working so sent it off to Omega for service, my dealer said to wind it 40 times and it would be fully wound. I did this and the watch only ran a short time.

Sent it back to Omega, they put it in "quality control". The watch came back again....they said nothing was wrong with it. This time I can wind it with 200 turns of the crown and the watch will not run 24 hours before quitting.

In addition, I can wind this watch 200 turns of the crown and there is no "stop" , as in the crown indicating the watch is fully wound. Before the watch was ever serviced I did get a stop on the crown.

I did call Omega yesterday, they said something was not right and to send it back, yes. Again.

What if anything am I doing wrong? Please help. Regards Al
AlTinkster92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2017, 10:40 AM   #2
chessebj
Banned

I just tested my Speedy, which was completely run down, and 40 turns takes it to the stop and fully winds it. Of course, everybody turns the crown slightly differently, so there will be variation, but unless each time you "turn" the crown is in increments of a mm, there is clearly something wrong with it.
chessebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2017, 09:12 AM   #3
AlTinkster92
"TRF" Member

Thanks Chess, am sure when I walk back in to my Omega dealer tomorrow for the 3rd time they will cringe... instead of sending this to Swatch in Florida this time it will go to New Jersey. I even have a short log of the wind times, crown turns and how long it ran before quitting.. Have always had good service by Omega up till now...

I did finally get 25 hours of run time yesterday before it quit today.... 40 hours is the reserve run time on this correct? It is a 861 movement... Regards Al
Old 16 September 2017, 09:15 AM   #4
imperio
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
When you pick it up, have your dealer wind it for you (see if it's any different to how you do it), record the time, and compare to when the watch stops...
imperio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2017, 05:06 AM   #5
AlTinkster92
"TRF" Member

Thanks Imperio, took the watch back to dealer yesterday, they will send it to New Jersey this time, hoping they get things corrected this time.

One thing I didn't know, Omega still sends the replaced parts back with the watch, thought everyone quit doing that, I have all the parts off the serviced watch. Kinda cool....
Old 22 September 2017, 10:45 PM   #6
Amphib44
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedmaster
I wind my Speedmaster 13/14 "turns" at about the same time every morning (I like the ritual of doing it...). I have been doing this for 25 years and it's nearly always the same. Once a month I let it run down completely until it stops running, then wind it up. Usually about 38/39 turns.
Amphib44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2017, 11:10 AM   #7
DTap
"TRF" Member

My guy said wind it "till it stops". Which for me is probably about 15 each 24 hours. Not sure how consistent everyone's winds are given different finger sizes and whether or not the watch is worn during winding.
DTap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2017, 11:02 PM   #8
mmalek1
"TRF" Member

Watch: This one.
My silver snoopy with an 1861 usually takes 35-40 turns for a full wind. It varies as I sometimes fit in a larger turn during the process. Once reaching a full wind, I do feel a stop.
mmalek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2017, 02:16 AM   #9
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlTinkster92 View Post
. . .In addition, I can wind this watch 200 turns of the crown and there is no "stop" , as in the crown indicating the watch is fully wound. Before the watch was ever serviced I did get a stop on the crown.

. . Al
This watch is not an automatic, it is manual wind. You should not be able to wind it 200 turns of the crown; there is always a "stop" to a manual wind watch because when it is wound up, you can't wind it any further.
Old 30 September 2017, 03:33 PM   #10
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Is it possible for a mainspring to break free from the barrel in a manual-wind watch, letting the crown turn infinitely?
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2017, 09:01 AM   #11
AlTinkster92
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmalek1 View Post
My silver snoopy with an 1861 usually takes 35-40 turns for a full wind. It varies as I sometimes fit in a larger turn during the process. Once reaching a full wind, I do feel a stop.
Thanks, the Omega dealer said the same thing, this is the 3rd time Ive had to send it back, seems Swatch group is missing something....
Old 10 October 2017, 12:03 PM   #12
Pete838
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT II -PVD
I wind until it stops, with a rolling motion, dragging my finger across the crown until I run out of finger; not very scientific, and go til I hit the stop. But I get about 48 hours until she runs dry.
Pete838 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2017, 03:43 AM   #13
007_Omega
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
I wind it until it stops. My Speedy makes it clear when its fully wound as it fights back from being wound anymore.

Doesn't take me long to wind it at all after you get the right technique. Put your thumb gently on the dial and use the side of your index finger to quickly wind the watch.
007_Omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2017, 09:09 AM   #14
AlTinkster92
"TRF" Member

Got my watch back from the New Jersey Service center this afternoon and all seems fine now. For the like of me I can't understand how Omega in Fla didn't catch the problem the first 2 times I sent it back.

Had my Sub on and they steamed it while waiting for my Speedy. I asked what they charge for appraisals (getting insurance) and they said 140.00 per watch. I said thanks but no thanks... :) Al
Old 18 October 2017, 12:12 PM   #15
DonBateman
Banned

Watch: I like watch
Interesting. Something wrong there. I wind mine daily but just enough for the whole day. I hope it's fixed now. I hate sending in watches. I'm having a problem with a brand new Tudor black bay and had to send it in. Sometimes it happens.
DonBateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2017, 08:24 AM   #16
AlTinkster92
"TRF" Member

Well, I'm back. I got the Speedy out Wednesday and wound it, it ran for 12 hours and quit. Sighed, put the watch back in the drawer and was ticked. Got it back out later, wound it again and yes. Ran again for 12 hours. Yesterday I wound it and it ran for 5 hours and quit.

This watch has been to Omega 3 times now. I wind it 45 to 50 rotations as I have been told to. Have also wound it up to 150 rotations (Till the crown stops) as directed by the manager of the dealer who sent it in. I placed a call to the Omega dealers corporate headquarters Friday and asked for a refund. Will get a call from the VP tomorrow I'm told. Sure am disappointed and frankly don't know what to do now. Al
Old 23 October 2017, 09:50 AM   #17
Le Chef
"TRF" Member

My suggestion:
1) Take it to the dealer with the watch wound down.
2) Wind it in front of the dealer to where you think it's fully wound.
3) Ask the dealer to see if it can be wound further.
4) Get them to see how long it takes to wind down.
5) Get them to tell you if that's in spec.

If not then it should be replaced.
Le Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2017, 02:13 PM   #18
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
I would ask for a new one.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2017, 03:03 AM   #19
DaytonaDrifter
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 6239+6263
How does the watch run when it is wound? If the mainspring is broken, it shouldn't matter how many turns you give it; the watch should not really run any significant period of time. Otherwise, if it runs for the whole day it had to have been wound. I never wind my manuals more than 10 turns in the morning. That gets me through the day. If I plan to continue with the same watch, I wind at bedtime another 10 turns. Otherwise, I switch off to another watch. This avoids broken mainsprings. I know that's really rare, but most of my watches are vintage. So I am just in the habit of only partially tension on the mainspring.
DaytonaDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2017, 09:24 AM   #20
AlTinkster92
"TRF" Member

Hi again and thanks for the replies, wound the watch this morning and 200 turns of the crown if I recall correctly. The watch ran for close to 8 hours and quit.

The VP of the company that sent my Speedy to Omega did call me today, said he spoke to Omega, the 2 clerks at the Omega Dealer and is convinced that the watch runs as it should, so no money back. I offered to drive it over to the dealer to be sent to him so he could see for himself. Will be doing that tomorrow and will let him keep it a couple days to observe. These 2 clerks will have some explaining to do I'm sure.

I refuse to give up on all this.... Thanks AL
Old 24 October 2017, 09:31 AM   #21
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
Speedy Pro Question

A manual wind Speedy and you are winding 200 times and an Omega dealer says that is OK???? Ha. I would be dealing directly with Omega by now. This has got a little stupid at this point.

FWIW my FOIS was completely dead just now. 40 turns and a hard stop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2017, 09:51 AM   #22
korneevy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, VC, RLX, BP
Speedy Pro Question

Things like these do happen with most brands from time to time... case in point - a few years ago I had to send my IWC UTC watch back to IWC 4(!!!!) times after they initially did a full factory service on it and it started to lose 3-5 hours a day, plus having UTC function out of whack by 1-2 hours too. They had tried everything and kept sending me the watch back saying it had passed all QC and even swapping the movement at one point for a brand new one - only for me to find that the exact same issue is present after wearing it for a half day. I was furious as it had taken close to 7 months with no resolution in sight, so I bloody lost it and wrote to Georges Kerns, their CEO at the time, via his personal Instagram account. To my surprise he got back to me within a few hours, got his global director of service from Schaffhausen on the call with me, they picked up the watch run full renew with a master watchmaker who works on their tourbillions and perpetrial calendar pieces, and they finally managed to get to the bottom of it - basically the movement was fine, it was an incorrectly cut stem (too long) which they put in during the first full service which protruded too much inside and was pushing ever so gently against the gears, causing the movement to go crazy due to constant interference !!! Somehow every time they got the watch, they focused on checking the movement but not the assembly - talk of incompetence, right on...Got I back like a brand new and it runs better than anything else in my collection. So these things do happen but please do not quit what you have isn’t right and Omega will rectify it. You just need to raise hell so it gets attention of someone high up to see your case though. Good luck
korneevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2017, 11:08 PM   #23
tifosi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hi Folks, proud owner of a 20th Anniversary Apollo 11 Speedy. 861 Movement.

My question is, how many times should I be winding it to get it fully wound? It quit working so sent it off to Omega for service, my dealer said to wind it 40 times and it would be fully wound. I did this and the watch only ran a short time.

Sent it back to Omega, they put it in "quality control". The watch came back again....they said nothing was wrong with it. This time I can wind it with 200 turns of the crown and the watch will not run 24 hours before quitting.

In addition, I can wind this watch 200 turns of the crown and there is no "stop" , as in the crown indicating the watch is fully wound. Before the watch was ever serviced I did get a stop on the crown.

I did call Omega yesterday, they said something was not right and to send it back, yes. Again.

What if anything am I doing wrong? Please help. Regards Al
Wind it till it stops. You won't break it.
Old 25 October 2017, 04:35 AM   #24
Hands90
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCheeta View Post
Is it possible for a mainspring to break free from the barrel in a manual-wind watch, letting the crown turn infinitely?
I don't know enough about the movement but I don't see this as being out the realm of possibility.
Hands90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2017, 09:07 AM   #25
AlTinkster92
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi View Post
Wind it till it stops. You won't break it.
Thanks, I wound it till it stops, took 200 turns and still ran for only 8 hours...
Old 26 October 2017, 09:11 AM   #26
AlTinkster92
"TRF" Member

Also, did send the watch to the VP of the company, had to prove my point that the watch is not fixed. I asked for my money back a few days ago and he wanted to see the watch first. Being fair I said sure. Will see what happens, I just want my watch fixed.... Al
Old 29 October 2017, 07:43 PM   #27
RonSwanson
"TRF" Member

I mean no offense, but you realize it has to be turned the right direction correct? One direction will be more difficult, that is winding, the other direction will softly click, but you could spin it backwards indefinitely.

Just wanting to verify the basics, I hope it works out for you!
RonSwanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2017, 08:10 AM   #28
AlTinkster92
"TRF" Member

Thanks, no offense taken. I've been around watches long enough to know how they wind. I should be hearing from the VP who has my watch tomorrow. :)
Old 7 November 2017, 09:24 AM   #29
AlTinkster92
"TRF" Member

Update, got my Speedy back Saturday and all is fine now. Ran 51 hours on last wind. Darn glad to have it back! :) AL
Old 17 November 2017, 02:12 AM   #30
darstadlydarcey
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Update, got my Speedy back Saturday and all is fine now. Ran 51 hours on last wind. Darn glad to have it back! :) AL
Did they explain what the issue was?
darstadlydarcey is offline   Reply With Quote