The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 12 April 2013, 12:16 AM   #31
DrNoi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Grand Seiko
I really hope you enjoy the GS as much as I do.

I really appreciate their pursuit of perfection in watch making .. with graceful simplicity.

I have bought a few .. GS SBGW031 / SBGA 011 Snowflake / SBGE 011 GMT and the latest one SGBA 071

I just can't get enough. Thinking about going after Quartz 9F and Hi Beat 9S85 as well

Cheer :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1365689723.502666.jpg (105.2 KB, 1425 views)
DrNoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2013, 12:23 AM   #32
DrNoi
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=George Ab;4068852]I love my SBGE001. I sold it once and after awhile had to purchase another... that is when you know you are in love.

I had the Grand Seiko SBGA011 aka snowflake to see if I would prefer it. Beautiful watch, but the SBGE001 is just my style. I was surprised the bracelet on the SBGA011 use pins and collars while the the SBGE001 uses pins and screws which I prefer.

👍✨

Old 12 April 2013, 01:31 AM   #33
Rodentman
Banned

I see that some GS's are Spring Drives, but not all. Are there some Spring Drives that are not GS's?

hat is the relationship between these 2?

If I want a Spring Drive should I look for a GS/SD...?

Thx
Rodentman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2013, 01:45 AM   #34
bcacncnc
"TRF" Member

There are some spring drive models that are not Grand Seikos.
Grand Seiko
bcacncnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2013, 01:56 AM   #35
Rodentman
Banned

OK but what then is the difference between a spring drive that is NOT a Grand Seiko and one that is?
Old 12 April 2013, 02:26 AM   #36
bcacncnc
"TRF" Member

I am quite sure movement wise they are the same.
Grand Seiko
Old 12 April 2013, 02:34 AM   #37
Blue Owl
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV 116610LV
Great pictures guys. I'm now thinking of getting a Grand Seiko for myself.
Blue Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2013, 01:40 PM   #38
DrNoi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodentman View Post
OK but what then is the difference between a spring drive that is NOT a Grand Seiko and one that is?
FYI .. Different calibers in Spring Drive Technology

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spring_Drive#Calibers

Old 12 April 2013, 05:03 PM   #39
ericlimjz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psmith View Post
I'm looking for this one (SBGE021)
Was a LE of 150, so not easy to find
I went to a GS AD in Hong Kong last month and they brought it out from a safe for me to try. Said it was reserved for the shopowner's friend but he never collected.

Oriental Watch Co., Ltd.
Ground Floor, 100 Queen's Road

He also had the LE Hi Beat version. It was gorgeous.. with the gold second hand. But I am leaning towards the snowflake for my first GS. The lightweight of the titanium seems more attractive for a fuss-free user like me.
ericlimjz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2013, 11:40 PM   #40
hpowders
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 114060
There's also Grand Seiko quartz: accuracy to +- 10 seconds a year.
hpowders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2013, 10:24 AM   #41
hpowders
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=hpowders;4097928]There's also Grand Seiko quartz: accuracy to +- 10 seconds a year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sbgx061_e.jpg (68.9 KB, 1339 views)
Old 20 April 2013, 10:25 AM   #42
hpowders
"TRF" Member

Duplicate post.
Old 30 April 2013, 06:55 AM   #43
RFFG
"TRF" Member

Congrats!! I would love an SBGE001 someday, GS are absolutely stunning timepieces.
Old 10 May 2013, 02:46 PM   #44
mdtddd2007
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, PP, AP, GS
GS are for watch lovers who appreciate fine watches.
mdtddd2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2013, 03:30 PM   #45
longreach380
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega,PAM,MM300
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Ab View Post
I love my SBGE001. I sold it once and after awhile had to purchase another... that is when you know you are in love.

I had the Grand Seiko SBGA011 aka snowflake to see if I would prefer it. Beautiful watch, but the SBGE001 is just my style. I was surprised the bracelet on the SBGA011 use pins and collars while the the SBGE001 uses pins and screws which I prefer.

that's nothing short of stunning! just wow!
longreach380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2013, 06:27 PM   #46
Thorien
"TRF" Member

Folowing on from my thread about this watch, thought I should a pic here too.
You've got to love Grand Seiko!

Thorien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2013, 12:39 AM   #47
tinger
"TRF" Member

heres mine

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1368628771708.jpg (38.1 KB, 1245 views)
tinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2013, 03:22 PM   #48
bcacncnc
"TRF" Member

Tinger - I love that model! Very nice score!
Grand Seiko
Old 16 May 2013, 11:36 PM   #49
Rodentman
Banned

I am enjoying mine immensely! It has gained a little over a second in 2 weeks. Arguably it's not fully mechanical, but the technology is outstanding as is the fit and finish.

Old 17 May 2013, 02:32 PM   #50
Peahi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNoi View Post
I really hope you enjoy the GS as much as I do.

I really appreciate their pursuit of perfection in watch making .. with graceful simplicity.

I have bought a few .. GS SBGW031 / SBGA 011 Snowflake / SBGE 011 GMT and the latest one SGBA 071

I just can't get enough. Thinking about going after Quartz 9F and Hi Beat 9S85 as well

Cheer :)

Perfection!!!! I wish we saw more of those around!!!!

Not a grand seiko, but right behind....

Peahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2013, 10:10 PM   #51
fmc000
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcacncnc View Post
Hi FMC
Thanks for sharing. The more I read about the GS quartz models, the more impressed I am. I always thought that quartz is quartz - there could be nothing special to distinguish between a GS quartz technology from a $5 quartz watch. But when reading about the design/technology/tuning and accuracy that goes into the GS quartz, I have a much greater appreciation.
Hello,
just to be clear: my GS gains about 1 second in 2 months and it's part of my rotation, not a daily wearer. Well within the 10spy specifications.
fmc000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2013, 01:23 AM   #52
Roll the Lex
"TRF" Member

I was looking at a Explorer I 214270 but these watches are interesting enough to make me pause and think about Grand Seiko. I like the SBGH001.

For those of you who own one in the US, was it an issue to have a lack of ADs and service centers? I've heard that the service center for Seiko in NJ ships them back to Japan for service. I can't imagine buying a watch without trying one on and none of the ADs listed on Seiko's site are near me.

The design is simple. I like the see-through caseback, the blue second hand, and the fact that it is rare. Another positive is the fact that it is totally anonymous- this truly is the ultimate stealth watch. It shouts "Seiko" on the face, which will result in 99.9% of the population assuming it's a nice $200 watch you got at Kay's at the local department store. People will say it's a very nice watch and that's that. Unlike the Rolex.

But I still like the Explorer I's design better. And more money in my pocket.
Roll the Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2013, 02:27 AM   #53
sierra11b
"TRF" Member

Watch: MkXVIII, 3570.50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll the Lex View Post
For those of you who own one in the US, was it an issue to have a lack of ADs and service centers? I've heard that the service center for Seiko in NJ ships them back to Japan for service. I can't imagine buying a watch without trying one on and none of the ADs listed on Seiko's site are near me.
If you buy from a Japanese seller like Chino, Higuchi or Seiya then you'd likely just ship straight to Seiko Japan yourself. You can do this by setting up the shipment to Seiko Japan and skip the shipment charge NJ adds to the service invoice. I may be wrong but think Higuchi is an AD whereas the others are not(?), but I'm sure all would be willing to assist as they all have great reviews.

If you're not comfortable with all this I believe Joe at Arizona Fine Time may cut out the NJ middleman and acts as courier himself keeping you updated throughout the process. I do know he offers a 3yr warranty and is the heavyweight Grand Seiko AD in the USA.

I'm not sure about his prices as you need to call him for a quote but many have mentioned his pricing is competitive to the Japanese houses. It's worthwhile to call him for a quote at these prices and to see just what he offers in terms of servicing.
sierra11b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2013, 03:49 AM   #54
Roll the Lex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierra11b View Post
If you buy from a Japanese seller like Chino, Higuchi or Seiya then you'd likely just ship straight to Seiko Japan yourself. You can do this by setting up the shipment to Seiko Japan and skip the shipment charge NJ adds to the service invoice. I may be wrong but think Higuchi is an AD whereas the others are not(?), but I'm sure all would be willing to assist as they all have great reviews.

If you're not comfortable with all this I believe Joe at Arizona Fine Time may cut out the NJ middleman and acts as courier himself keeping you updated throughout the process. I do know he offers a 3yr warranty and is the heavyweight Grand Seiko AD in the USA.

I'm not sure about his prices as you need to call him for a quote but many have mentioned his pricing is competitive to the Japanese houses. It's worthwhile to call him for a quote at these prices and to see just what he offers in terms of servicing.
Thanks!
Old 22 May 2013, 05:35 PM   #55
J. Alan
"TRF" Member

I was in my local Grand Seiko AD recently (the only dealer in Canada) to see the current Canadian pricing. The watch I am interested in is the Grand Seiko Hi-Beat 36000 which is in stock in the black & white dial. The price in Canadian funds is $6,900 while the U.S. price is $7,800 according to the latest WatchTime which has a comparison test between the Seiko Hi-Beat and the Zenith Espada, both with 36,000VPH movements. The comparison test is very interesting (WatchTime, June 2013). The author is trying his best not to tread on toes, but reading between the lines, I believe overall, he favors the Seiko. Both companies are big advertisers in WatchTime so you don't want to cut-off the hand that feeds you!!

J. Alan
J. Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2013, 08:17 PM   #56
Non-WIS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko 5 SNZH53K
Could never convince myself to spend so much on a Seiko. I love Japanese cars, watches and electronics but I feel they are already very good at delivering top quality products equal to or better than anyone else that a normal salaryman can afford. And kudos to them for doing it as my life is the richer for it. But that's also the deal breaker when it comes to luxury watches. The idea that they take their already great products, spice things up a bit, then mark up the prices and call it a luxury watch just doesn't attract me.

I own 2 x Seiko's and one of them is my favourite watch, but that is because I think it delivers performance and style that is equal to anything out of Switzerland at a fraction of the cost. But to impress my friends and family it must be Swiss.
Non-WIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2013, 08:28 PM   #57
MP5
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Non-WIS View Post
Could never convince myself to spend so much on a Seiko. I love Japanese cars, watches and electronics but I feel they are already very good at delivering top quality products equal to or better than anyone else that a normal salaryman can afford. And kudos to them for doing it as my life is the richer for it. But that's also the deal breaker when it comes to luxury watches. The idea that they take their already great products, spice things up a bit, then mark up the prices and call it a luxury watch just doesn't attract me.

I own 2 x Seiko's and one of them is my favourite watch, but that is because I think it delivers performance and style that is equal to anything out of Switzerland at a fraction of the cost. But to impress my friends and family it must be Swiss.
Well there is that, sad.
MP5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2013, 08:32 PM   #58
MP5
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peahi View Post
Perfection!!!! I wish we saw more of those around!!!!

Not a grand seiko, but right behind....

Ive always wanted one, too bad they keep going up. Was fixing to get one pre owned but wasnt quite the shape I wanted. Im a bit concerned with the thickness but it shouldnt be too much of a problem.
MP5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2013, 09:26 AM   #59
Roll the Lex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Non-WIS View Post

From what I understand, the Grand Seikos are handmade and made in a completely different workshop with different workers. But I understand your point of view. It's the same problem with a Hyundai Equus or VW Phaeton compared to a 5-series or E-class. With the Grand Seikos, I have no doubt they are well engineered and well built, but I do like the European design better.

I am shocked by the price difference between Seiya and Arizona fine time.
Seiya sells the SBGH001 for $5280.
Arizona fine time sells the SBGH001 for $7800. $2520 more.
A Grand Seiko GMT is only $3618...
Gotta love Abenomics!
Old 23 May 2013, 10:20 AM   #60
tudorluv
"TRF" Member

great thread - great shots - wear them in good health all!
tudorluv is offline   Reply With Quote