The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 25 June 2020, 01:50 PM   #1
kjs692
"TRF" Member

First time buyer, need authenticity wisdom!

Hello TRF,

I'm a first-time Rolex buyer and am looking for a memento to celebrate graduating medical school. I'm looking for a DJ 36 reference 116234 on jubilee bracelet with silver stick dial, but after looking at my local boutiques here in Seattle, WA and realizing they don't have pre-owned models and wouldn't play the discount game, I'm looking to acquire it online. I attempted to find one on the trusted boutiques here on TRF, but have yet to see what I want. I did come across this one on Chrono24 being sold by Quality Diamonds in San Diego, CA.

The seller is asking for fair market value and has good reviews on Chrono24 and Yelp, but I'm terrified as a first-time buyer and can't be too careful. In order to hopefully avoid getting burned, I'm calling on you all to see if a) anyone can comment on the trustworthiness of this seller and/or b) if anything in the pictures jumps out at you regarding its authenticity. I need to be able to buy the seller before I move forward in any way with this purchase. In my novice eyes, it looks like a good option, but any advice you all could provide would be greatly appreciated!
kjs692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2020, 02:21 AM   #2
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Watch: YMII,GMTII,DAYTONA
Impossible to authenticate from those photos
BUT
From what I can see - Points more to FAKE than genuine??
That said - seller has a lot of ROLEX and items for sale

Here is the watch and seller to check out:
https://picclick.com/Rolex-Datejust-...015468639.html
and here:
https://www.chrono24.com/rolex/datej...95441.htm#gref
Old 26 June 2020, 11:03 PM   #3
kjs692
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLADIATOR View Post
Impossible to authenticate from those photos
BUT
From what I can see - Points more to FAKE than genuine??
That said - seller has a lot of ROLEX and items for sale

Here is the watch and seller to check out:
Thanks for the input! Seller seemed a bit put off by my questioning about service records, so decided to let it pass. Decided buying new or from a reliable seller on TRF is the way to go for me.
kjs692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2020, 05:23 AM   #4
swaini3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT, DRSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjs692 View Post
Thanks for the input! Seller seemed a bit put off by my questioning about service records, so decided to let it pass. Decided buying new or from a reliable seller on TRF is the way to go for me.
Good decision.... If he does not feel like answering questions, his loss. Some people are just in the wrong business....
swaini3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2020, 06:39 AM   #5
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
Contact DavidSW and he can source you one. This is not a difficult model to obtain
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2020, 10:00 AM   #6
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Quote:
Hello TRF,

I'm a first-time Rolex buyer and am looking for a memento to celebrate graduating medical school. I'm looking for a DJ 36 reference 116234 on jubilee bracelet with silver stick dial, but after looking at my local boutiques here in Seattle, WA and realizing they don't have pre-owned models and wouldn't play the discount game, I'm looking to acquire it online. I attempted to find one on the trusted boutiques here on TRF, but have yet to see what I want. I did come across this one on Chrono24 being sold by Quality Diamonds in San Diego, CA.

The seller is asking for fair market value and has good reviews on Chrono24 and Yelp, but I'm terrified as a first-time buyer and can't be too careful. In order to hopefully avoid getting burned, I'm calling on you all to see if a) anyone can comment on the trustworthiness of this seller and/or b) if anything in the pictures jumps out at you regarding its authenticity. I need to be able to buy the seller before I move forward in any way with this purchase. In my novice eyes, it looks like a good option, but any advice you all could provide would be greatly appreciated!

First of all — HUGE congrats on med school!! That’s amazing.

Second of all — great job doing due diligence.

Third of all — find this beautiful but common watch and many more from one of the great sellers here on TRF. Forget C24 and a seller who’s Annoyed at your questions. You’re a doctor! Get with one of the great sellers here and save the heartburn of turning you’re celebration into a maybe nightmare.

Good luck doc!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2020, 08:29 PM   #7
Peemaster
Banned

The watch in the pictures is 100% genuine. The seller is authenticated by chrono and has good reviews.

I see no reason not to buy this watch. And I’d rather buy my first grey rlx at a reputable grey seller than on an online forum, where i have to vet everyone and everything.
Peemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 12:29 AM   #8
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor & Cartier
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peemaster View Post
The watch in the pictures is 100% genuine. The seller is authenticated by chrono and has good reviews.

I see no reason not to buy this watch. And I’d rather buy my first grey rlx at a reputable grey seller than on an online forum, where i have to vet everyone and everything.
Except here we have a number of trusted sellers, already authenticated and with splendid feedback
Old 9 July 2020, 02:56 AM   #9
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
Quote:
You most likely saved yourself a bunch-o-grief.

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2020, 09:48 AM   #10
briansshin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peemaster View Post

to me... after doing my own due diligence... it looks like he sells fake ones. take a look at some of the other rolexes he has for sale in his shop... specifically:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mens-Rolex-....c100008.m2219

i dont recall rolex ever making a datejust in this color. id stay away from this seller since the prices all seem too good to be true

2020 Datejust 41 with 18k White Gold Fluted Bezel - Silver Dial with Stick indicators and Oyster Bracelet [126234]
briansshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2020, 12:55 PM   #11
Rebel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Sub 75090
BTW, congrats, Doctor.

Dr. Mark Nail
Old 21 November 2020, 07:59 PM   #12
watchnut100
SCUMBAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by briansshin View Post
to me... after doing my own due diligence... it looks like he sells fake ones. take a look at some of the other rolexes he has for sale in his shop... specifically:

i dont recall rolex ever making a datejust in this color. id stay away from this seller since the prices all seem too good to be true
It’s a genuine watch with a custom dial? He says that in the listing? Hardly a fake watch, a genuine watch with a custom dial.
watchnut100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2020, 08:38 PM   #13
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchnut100 View Post
It’s a genuine watch with a custom dial? He says that in the listing? Hardly a fake watch, a genuine watch with a custom dial.
An oxywatchumoron?

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2020, 12:12 PM   #14
Bassplayer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Wife says too many
Quote:
Originally Posted by briansshin View Post

It’s real - read the description and look at seller feedback. It is not original but not a fake. Should probably slow down prior to making such a strong statement/post.

" I prefer to drink; not drive "
John Alec Entwistle
Bassplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2020, 12:42 PM   #15
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
My comment is directed at a post in this thread regarding the blue dial Datejust on ebay - at this link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mens-Rolex-....c100008.m2219

Many Datejusts have aftermarket dials. Many! I see no issue with having that gorgeous aftermarket blue dial on a Datejust if all else checks out and the price is right - especially since it is listed as aftermarket and most buyers know that color wasn't available on a Datejust.

If the price is right - I say buy it. You can always buy an original dial later - they are for sale everywhere.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2020, 01:25 PM   #16
henrylee
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN Ceramic
Congrats~ Personally would wait until after you finish residency and become an attending. Now after years into my practice, paying loans, and buying a house I can “comfortably” afford it. But then again I was just a poor medical student back then.
Old 23 November 2020, 02:13 PM   #17
DJLester
"TRF" Member

Seems a legit seller to me...

DJLester is offline   Reply With Quote