The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 April 2019, 11:47 PM   #1
yesnaya
"TRF" Member

Flip Speedy Pro Moonphase (3576) for BB58?

Hi Everyone, I’m debating making the flip stated above. Would love to get some opinions from other collectors and WIS – especially those that have a speedy pro and a BB58. 1st, the current collection:

Daytona Ceramic black dial (chrono)
Ceramic SS Pepsi (GMT)
BLNR on 97200 (GMT)
Navitimer 01 LE white dial on brown croc (chrono)
Speedy pro Moon (basically a sapphire sandwich with a moonphase+date at 12 o’clock) on black vintage leather strap (chrono)
Seamaster Diver 300m Ceramic Blue dial (2018 release) on OEM bracelet (diver)

I’m pretty happy with everything honestly, but we are always looking to tweak things. I’ve been eying the BB58 since it was released and have tried it on as well (looked nice). I have 6.75 in. wrists so it doesn’t look minuscule on me. I kinda like the vintage vide tbh – but not 100% sure about the gilt bezel. I’m not looking to add it, as 6 watches is already past my comfort zone (would prefer 4 or 5 but I can’t see myself selling off any of the others just for the sake of reducing the collection).

So anyway, reasons to make the flip: would have 2 divers instead of just 1 (although I would likely keep it on a strap), would have something that looks like an old sub (which I like) but that is new (which I prefer), would give me a 2nd no-date watch which is something that has really really grown on me in the past year or two. And the BB58 has…. Flavor while the speedy is a little black/white.

Reasons to not make the flip: they don’t make this speedy anymore and I bought it new, it’s a manual wind and we WIS like that, its got a moonphase and I always liked those, it’s a “speedmaster professional” which has some history/pedigree while the BB58 is a new homage watch, I already own it so I would not materialize the depreciation haha, and finally should I decide to keep it on a bracelet I upgraded it to the adjustable clasp and it is badass while the BB58 bracelet/clasp setup is inferior, objectively speaking.

My take: I think the smart choice is to stay and not mess with something that is working. But it does bother me that I ended up with 3 chronos (I would prefer 2 chronos and 2 divers), and the no-date simplicity is really appealing to me. Is that enough to make the flip? Will I find happiness/satisfaction on the other end of this transaction? Let me know what you think.
yesnaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 11:52 PM   #2
2024 Pledge Member

Add the 58. Give your collection 2-3 months before deciding to move anything. If you can't get the 58 without flipping to make it happen then I'd just stay put.

Good luck!
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2019, 12:16 AM   #3
yesnaya
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 037 View Post
Add the 58. Give your collection 2-3 months before deciding to move anything. If you can't get the 58 without flipping to make it happen then I'd just stay put.

Good luck!
Thank you! Didnt want to add it... definitely feels like its too much. Will consider it some more. Really like the BB58, just dont want to end up with 7, then 8, the 16 watches lol - trying to keep it at 6.
Old 25 April 2019, 12:21 AM   #4
2024 Pledge Member

Nothing says you have to keep all 7 after you've added the 58. Heck, you might want to let the 58 go after a few months. Play chess, not checkers.
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2019, 12:36 AM   #5
yesnaya
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 037 View Post
Nothing says you have to keep all 7 after you've added the 58. Heck, you might want to let the 58 go after a few months. Play chess, not checkers.
I'm not even on the checkers level man lol. Tic-tac-toe over here. Zero imagination and constraints everywhere. In all seriousness adding is the easiest option by far - i like the watch and its not expensive. I fear not wanting to sell it, and not wanting to sell one of the others either. Way easier for me to not buy than to unload something - i get attached haha.
Old 25 April 2019, 12:53 AM   #6
landroverking
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
That model SMP is harder to come by, so I say no.
landroverking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2019, 12:55 AM   #7
yesnaya
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by landroverking View Post
That model SMP is harder to come by, so I say no.
Old 25 April 2019, 12:56 AM   #8
alphasports
"TRF" Member

No brainer keep the Speedy.
alphasports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2019, 12:59 AM   #9
yesnaya
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphasports View Post
No brainer keep the Speedy.
I like confident responses like that haha. like "dude, dont be an idiot; be smart, dont sell a speedy for a black bay"
Old 25 April 2019, 01:00 AM   #10
ras47
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 BLRO
Speedmasters are readily available in lots of different flavors. While I'm a huge Speedy fan, flipping one is not very risky so I'd say go for it. Especially if it's not a special model like the Silver Snoopy.
Old 25 April 2019, 01:10 AM   #11
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
I would not flip a Speedy for a Tudor BB
Old 25 April 2019, 01:14 AM   #12
yesnaya
"TRF" Member

A little early but seems to be leaning to keep speedy.
Old 25 April 2019, 01:39 AM   #13
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
No way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2019, 01:42 AM   #14
Bob the brush
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1016 Explorer.
I would not consider doing this, I feel you would have regret s later. Keep the Speedmaster, just add the BB if the itch is strong, that's MHO.
DJ 16030 - Buckley dial
DJ 16220
DJ OQ 17013
Bob the brush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2019, 01:42 AM   #15
desmoboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub
Don't do it.. Speedy is a keeper
desmoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2019, 01:43 AM   #16
yesnaya
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob the brush View Post
I would not consider doing this, I feel you would have regret s later. Keep the Speedmaster, just add the BB if the itch is strong, that's MHO.
You guys are just a bunch of enablers lol.
Old 25 April 2019, 02:09 AM   #17
imagwai
"TRF" Member

I would definitely add the 58, but keep the Speedy and flip the Navitimer, Seamaster or one of the GMTs (most likely BLNR). But that's just me!
imagwai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2019, 02:22 AM   #18
Daveclock
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing and waiting!
You've had the Speedy for ages, it can only climb in price and is no longer available.
The BB58 is a mass produced, current watch (and from what I have seen can be got at a discount - not to "normal" buyers only Grey/Vip re-seller types)
If you must try it, buy it, then decide - but keep Speedy until you are sure (and I mean really sure!) - The speedy I sold I did not regret it until a few years later!!
Daveclock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2019, 02:22 AM   #19
yesnaya
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagwai View Post
I would definitely add the 58, but keep the Speedy and flip the Navitimer, Seamaster or one of the GMTs (most likely BLNR). But that's just me!
Ouf. Definitely not flipping any of those 3 over the speedy. I can always add the BB58... Seems like that's the #2 option if parting ways with the Speedy isnt possible. Nobody has suggested to not get the BB58 though haha.
Old 25 April 2019, 02:24 AM   #20
yesnaya
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveclock View Post
You've had the Speedy for ages, it can only climb in price and is no longer available.
The BB58 is a mass produced, current watch (and from what I have seen can be got at a discount - not to "normal" buyers only Grey/Vip re-seller types)
If you must try it, buy it, then decide - but keep Speedy until you are sure (and I mean really sure!) - The speedy I sold I did not regret it until a few years later!!
Sound advice.

Tags
bb58 , speedmaster professional