The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 28 March 2011, 07:40 AM   #1
bubble160207

Watch: Cartier pasha, sub
Aftermarket diamond value VS Authentic Rolex diamonds

Hey guys not posted for a while, since I last posted on this forum I bought myself a TT sub after reading JJ's review I had to get one...
Now Im approaching my 30th and have been told to "pick" another Rolex as a gift - lucky guy I know! Anyways...
Im looking to spend around £2000gbp(Im in the UK but dont mind buying online ebay etc)
I want a datejust ss , and am expecting to get around a 96 ss with custom diamonds/bezel for my price range

I have fell for one on ebay from melrose diamonds but after researching have found many bad reports for this seller, gutted as I really liked what I saw

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

My question is, aside from doing the common sense stuff if I buy online (Im looking at Beckertime at the moment) like checking with my AD for movement authenticity lost stolen register etc, what are the pros and cons on aftermarket dials and bezels - I know the clarity etc will obviously not be as good as Rolex but does it make that much difference on resale/insurance etc?

Also a lot of these online watches (melrose by the looks) seem to sell a face from a genuine rolex then everything else is replaced, the sapphire glass, the bracelets, the diamond bezels are custom - does this make that much difference or only if trading into an AD?

The watches on sale in the US, especially online are plentiful with custom diamonds and bezels - there are not as many in the UK and the US ones are significantly cheaper, again, especially the custom diamond styles

I know what I want, I just dont know where to buy one...
bubble160207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2011, 09:10 AM   #2
TKB
"TRF" Member

Watch: 118339 Meteorite
You probably won't get the answers you're looking for on this forum. Most people here won't acknowledge an custom aftermarket rolex as genuine as Rolex themselves won't even service an "upgraded" rolex. Keep in mind that any aftermarket parts, including diamonds, void the factory warranty. I highly doubt that a rolex AD would even take an aftermarket watch in for trade. I would highly recommend that you buy a rolex with factory diamonds if that's what you're into.
TKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2011, 09:32 AM   #3
Singslinger
"TRF" Member

Agree with TKB. If you have resale/warranty concerns, then best to stick to original Rolex dials.
Singslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2011, 11:51 AM   #4
Speed
"TRF" Member

IMO, diamonds really make a Rolex look tacky. Uber tacky.

IMO a 30 year old guy really might want to steer clear of diamonds and get a classic sports Rolex.

If you MUST get diamonds, please go to a reputable dealer or AD and do NOT trust the dreck you will likely find on eBay.
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2011, 02:19 PM   #5
SkyKing31
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tridor Masterpiece
Try Messina Jewelers ... www.messinajewelers.com .. He has both custom and Rolex factory .. Oscar will help you find what you need
SkyKing31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2011, 02:31 PM   #6
sherwin
"TRF" Member

If you really must go the aftermarket route; make sure you have the original parts for the watch. this enables you to switch the bezels back should you need to go back to rsc.

Tags
date , datejust , ebay , for sale , ltb