The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!! > eBay & Internet Sales WatchOut

Closed Thread

Old 28 August 2018, 01:58 AM   #1
towncountryjewelers
"TRF" Member

Watch: HULK
Scammer - Shiny1

TRF handle "Shiny1"
scammed me for a Rolex BLNR

What a shame
Old 28 August 2018, 02:08 AM   #2
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Im sorry to hear Eli. Hopefully you have some recourse.

Id be curious to know if his recent sale was actually legit or if it was a fake post to make it look like he had credibility. Im suspicious when it shows sold in only a few days with no reputation.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=621854
Old 28 August 2018, 02:32 AM   #3
towncountryjewelers
"TRF" Member

Im not sure about this post but he took my money and ran with the BLNR... I asked for references and everything, seemed to check out. He got me. I notified police, banks and fed internet crimes. I too am curious about the SD listing
Old 28 August 2018, 05:21 AM   #4
alexthegreat123
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT 16710 w/ 3186
What's his real name? Address?
Old 28 August 2018, 05:05 PM   #5
gaoxing84
Banned

Watch: Audemars Piguet RO
i emailed him for the BLNR and never replied
pm him for imessage and whatsapp never replied too
Old 29 August 2018, 12:33 AM   #6
towncountryjewelers
"TRF" Member

claimed his name was harry obrien gabsian address and phone number from las vegas
Old 29 August 2018, 12:34 AM   #7
towncountryjewelers
"TRF" Member

he prob never replied because he already nailed me!!! what a scum
Old 29 August 2018, 01:24 AM   #8
htbilgic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Doxa Pro 300 NoT
Quote:
Originally Posted by towncountryjewelers View Post
he prob never replied because he already nailed me!!! what a scum
I'm sorry to hear this.
Old 29 August 2018, 03:00 AM   #9
chad362wiley
"TRF" Member

I asked for ID verification and he never replied...sorry Eli
Old 29 August 2018, 05:22 AM   #10
JY2016
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41
Sorry to hear. Such a shame.
Old 1 September 2018, 04:17 AM   #11
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
TRF handle "Shiny1"

What a shame
How about some details about the scam. Did you sell him the watch or did you buy a watch from him?

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
Old 1 September 2018, 04:56 AM   #12
Lode_Runner
Banned

Quote:
TRF handle "Shiny1"

What a shame
This is becoming more common, I am convinced this is the same guy who's been scamming on Timezone, all of his usernames are some word followed by a couple of digits (e.g. Green11). His accounts all have around 100-150 posts, and you'll see a lot of posts in a short period of time trying to get to the minimum number of posts to list something in the sales section. The posts are all empty one-liners like "Nice," "Beautiful," "Thanks for sharing," possibly bot-generated. Most of his pictures are lifted from real (legit) ads someone else placed, usually a year or two ago.

I don't understand how the forums can let this keep happening. You shouldn't be allowed to just get a fake gmail address, post a bunch of garbage one-liner posts for two weeks, then be able to post a fake Rolex ad to scam people out of wire transfers. There should be a better process for warning people, when the ad is listed, that the listing is from someone who's credentials to post are marginal.
Old 1 September 2018, 08:21 AM   #13
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

There’s more going on in the background to thwart scammers than some people may realize. But at the end of the day the buyers and sellers need to exercise ordinary caution.

I don’t know the details on this one but would you buy a $10K watch from a new member with a few posts? Even if he/she cited references from outside sources...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
Old 2 September 2018, 04:27 AM   #14
MinMay
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lode_Runner View Post
This is becoming more common, I am convinced this is the same guy who's been scamming on Timezone, all of his usernames are some word followed by a couple of digits (e.g. Green11). His accounts all have around 100-150 posts, and you'll see a lot of posts in a short period of time trying to get to the minimum number of posts to list something in the sales section. The posts are all empty one-liners like "Nice," "Beautiful," "Thanks for sharing," possibly bot-generated. Most of his pictures are lifted from real (legit) ads someone else placed, usually a year or two ago.

I don't understand how the forums can let this keep happening. You shouldn't be allowed to just get a fake gmail address, post a bunch of garbage one-liner posts for two weeks, then be able to post a fake Rolex ad to scam people out of wire transfers. There should be a better process for warning people, when the ad is listed, that the listing is from someone who's credentials to post are marginal.
That's how they scam folks. It doesn't matter if they have 10 postings vs 200 postings. They plant their seeds (multiple accounts) for years and then they hope to bait just ONE victim and they'll be happy.

Have you ever wonder why we see bunch of postings per day that starts with a new thread and they disappear with no response after?

The forum should be able to run an analysis on all IP address and make sure a unique IP correspond to a single account. I'm sure scammer has multiple account that they're using...
Old 2 September 2018, 07:12 AM   #15
Lode_Runner
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinMay View Post
That's how they scam folks. It doesn't matter if they have 10 postings vs 200 postings. They plant their seeds (multiple accounts) for years and then they hope to bait just ONE victim and they'll be happy.

Have you ever wonder why we see bunch of postings per day that starts with a new thread and they disappear with no response after?

The forum should be able to run an analysis on all IP address and make sure a unique IP correspond to a single account. I'm sure scammer has multiple account that they're using...
As someone who's done a lot of work in cyber-security, I can reassure you, you are right. There are tons of things the forums could do to try to filter out certain categories of garbage ads. The problem is that the scammers would figure out the algorithms and find a way to avoid those, too, and the forums don't have the resources of a Google or Facebook. Scamming someone out of a ten grand wire for a Batman GMT, that kind of motivation buys a ton of scammer ingenuity.

The easiest solution would simply be to rely on human intelligence to not get tricked. Ads should have a big fat red warning on the top of them, a "don't get scammed" ad, with a link to helpful tips, for those sellers who don't pass a verification process that the forum identifies. The warning would make clear that TRF doesn't approve the ads, doesn't take responsibility for them, and gives a number of tips for spotting suspicious ads. I think a lot of newer buyers would benefit from this; less experienced users wrongly think that buying on a respected forum like this buys them some kind of assurance that the ads are legit.

The truth is just the opposite, the more respected the forum, the stronger the draw for scammers. I am surprised, for legal reasons, that forums like TRF haven't put in warnings and disclaimers years ago.

Last edited by Lode_Runner; 2 September 2018 at 08:02 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 2 September 2018, 07:21 AM   #16
J_1964
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710
Quote:
As someone who's done a lot of work in cyber-security, I can reassure you, you are right. There are tons of things the forums could do to try to filter out certain categories of garbage ads. The problem is that the scammers would figure out the algorithms and find a way to avoid those, too, and the forums don't have the resources of a Google or Facebook. Scamming someone out of a ten grand wire for a Batman GMT, that kind of motivation buys a ton of scammer ingenuity.

The easiest solution would simply be to rely on human intelligence to not get tricked. Ads should have a big far red warning on the top of them, a "don't get scammed" ad, with a link to helpful tips, for those sellers who don't pass a verification process that the forum identifies. The warning would make clear that TRF doesn't approve the ads, doesn't take responsibility for them, and gives a number of tips for spotting suspicious ads. I think a lot of newer buyers would benefit from this; less experienced users wrongly think that buying on a respected forum like this buys them some kind of assurance that the ads are legit.

The truth is just the opposite, the more respected the forum, the stronger the draw for scammers. I am surprised, for legal reasons, that forums like TRF haven't put in warnings and disclaimers years ago.
It's good to get some input from a Professional In The Field. Thank You.
Old 2 September 2018, 07:41 AM   #17
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:

The easiest solution would simply be to rely on human intelligence to not get tricked. Ads should have a big far red warning on the top of them, a "don't get scammed" ad, with a link to helpful tips, for those sellers who don't pass a verification process that the forum identifies. The warning would make clear that TRF doesn't approve the ads, doesn't take responsibility for them, and gives a number of tips for spotting suspicious ads. I think a lot of newer buyers would benefit from this; less experienced users wrongly think that buying on a respected forum like this buys them some kind of assurance that the ads are legit.

FYI, we take down multiple fake ads and ban scam accounts almost daily. Both main Classified sections have a Scammers & Common Sense section on the sticky Rules & Advice page, and the Rolex General Discussion and Open Discussion sections both have long-running sticky threads at the top about PM scams.
Old 2 September 2018, 08:12 AM   #18
Lode_Runner
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
FYI, we take down multiple fake ads and ban scam accounts almost daily. Both main Classified sections have a Scammers & Common Sense section on the sticky Rules & Advice page, and the Rolex General Discussion and Open Discussion sections both have long-running sticky threads at the top about PM scams.
That's good to hear, but the sticky posts are not enough. Something should be placed AT THE TOP OF THE AD ITSELF with warnings, in red, with a link to some common sense advice. I suspect many people find these ads through indexing services like Watchrecon, Lionseek, etc., where people click and go straight to the ad and bypass all of the sticky posts. (Similar to LinkedIn, if you read the analytics and published studies, traffic often comes from people Google searching someone's name and clicking directly from Google, rather than finding someone through onsite search and referral.)

Even worse, most of these scammers solicit communications through gmail (not forum PM), so you don't even have to be a forum member to find, read, and be scammed by, the ad.

Not suggesting you guys are doing a bad job; I have no visibility into what you do, but I don't doubt that it's considerable, and no doubt that there are tons of scams that you guys prevent before they get off the ground. I am just suggesting putting something in the ad itself; if you instill just a little caution in the the buyer, it can go a lot further than any algorithms can. It hurts me to read stories like the OP's of getting scammed out of thousands because they believed that the posters had integrity.
It's a mistake that almost all of us could have made earlier in our watch collecting careers.

Last edited by Lode_Runner; 2 September 2018 at 08:17 AM.. Reason: typos
Old 2 September 2018, 08:25 AM   #19
Old Expat Beast

The number of people who get scammed here in relation to the hundreds of ads that go up here every day is minuscule. Most those who do get scammed are looking at too-good-to-be-true deals, it seems, and they tend to be blinkered. Having off-putting warnings at the top of every ad would be unfair on the 99.999% (or whatever it is) of people who post here honestly and fairly.

We get alerts, too, from helpful members here about bad ads, but most seem more interested in showcasing their fake-spotting skills by policing eBay and craigslist than in keeping an eye on the TRF classifieds.
Old 2 September 2018, 08:57 AM   #20
Doc Savage
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer 214270
Dang, sorry to hear this, OP. It's a terrible situation.

-Edward O. Wilson
Old 2 September 2018, 10:07 AM   #21
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
The number of people who get scammed here in relation to the hundreds of ads that go up here every day is minuscule. Most those who do get scammed are looking at too-good-to-be-true deals, it seems, and they tend to be blinkered. Having off-putting warnings at the top of every ad would be unfair on the 99.999% (or whatever it is) of people who post here honestly and fairly.

We get alerts, too, from helpful members here about bad ads, but most seem more interested in showcasing their fake-spotting skills by policing eBay and craigslist than in keeping an eye on the TRF classifieds.
this.

I used to spot the eBay and CL issues but, why?

TRF first.
Old 2 September 2018, 10:45 AM   #22
digitalcrocodile
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Three words I have taken to heart since joining this forum a short time ago - BUY THE SELLER. Be skeptical. Trust, but verify. Never rely solely on email or chat - talk to the seller. What does your gut tell you? Has the seller conducted transactions with people on this forum that have legitimately golden reputations? Perhaps even with people you know personally? Finally, never wire money that you can't afford to lose in a poker game. If the amount exceeds that which you would lose sleep over after losing it, don't do the deal.
Old 2 September 2018, 10:56 AM   #23
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalcrocodile View Post
Three words I have taken to heart since joining this forum a short time ago - BUY THE SELLER. Be skeptical. Trust, but verify. Never rely solely on email or chat - talk to the seller. What does your gut tell you? Has the seller conducted transactions with people on this forum that have legitimately golden reputations? Perhaps even with people you know personally? Finally, never wire money that you can't afford to lose in a poker game. If the amount exceeds that which you would lose sleep over after losing it, don't do the deal.
As it says in Classifieds Rules & Advice thread:

SCAMMERS & COMMON SENSE.

Due to the size of the forums there is always the potential for scam/con artists to slide in, take advantage of our fine members and then disappear, leaving only a trail of misery and woe for us to sympathise with.

There are plenty of fantastic buyers, sellers and fine watches on our boards but there are also a tiny minority of scumbags lurking amongst us.

Questions to ask yourself before ANY transaction are :

1. CAN I TRUST THE SELLER/BUYER 100% ?

There is nothing special about a "TRF" member. It takes a LONG time to get trusted, not just 20 days and 30 posts, even a pledgeship can be a modest investment to appear as being in good standing. Just because someone calls you buddy, doesn't mean he doesn't want to steal your watch/cash.

2. ARE THOSE REFERENCES REAL ?

Four alias references from the same person "selling" the watch may initially appear credible but not so when you've lost your cash/watch.

3. WHY AM I PAYING BY THIS METHOD?

This thread is not going to recommend a specific payment method or act as an Escrow agent.

The question for YOU is "If it goes wrong do I have any protection from the provider of the payment method used?". It's best to ask this question before you are in a desperate situation rather than after you find out you have NO comeback or protection and is the exact reason why the other party wanted to use this method.

4. CAN I AFFORD TO LOSE ALL MY CASH OR WATCH?

If you can, then fine. Most people are honourable. You will get what you were looking for and you will receive a reasonable solution if there are any minor quibbles with your purchase.

The odd few are pondlifes who will use your lack of due diligence and general trust in human nature to fund their scumbag lifestyle. There is a potential price to be paid for this commendable attitude, however.

IF YOU ARE NOT 100% HAPPY, WALK AWAY - BUYER OR SELLER.

LET THE STRANGER TAKE THE RISK, ERR ON THE SIDE OF CAUTION.
Old 2 September 2018, 12:30 PM   #24
Lode_Runner
Banned

Quote:
The number of people who get scammed here in relation to the hundreds of ads that go up here every day is minuscule. Most those who do get scammed are looking at too-good-to-be-true deals, it seems, and they tend to be blinkered.
So you're blaming the victim. Say nothing more. Resort to the time-honored way to duck responsibility, or to avoid instituting even the most innocuous changes to save some poor sap from losing thousands of dollars in an elaborate scam.
Old 2 September 2018, 12:46 PM   #25
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
So you're blaming the victim. Say nothing more. Resort to the time-honored way to duck responsibility, or to avoid instituting even the most innocuous changes to save some poor sap from losing thousands of dollars in an elaborate scam.
No, I'm just taking the time to explain the situation as I see it. You might want to stop the insults and accusations if you want to stick around here.
Old 3 September 2018, 05:58 PM   #26
Lol-x
Facilitator

It is the duty of the buy/seller to establish for themselves the bona fides of the party they are seeking or purporting to deal with or transact.

This website cannot and has always said it will not be involved in any aspect of the task of buyer or sellers to ensure the bona fides of the other party nor will this website ever be involved in any transaction to any extent to ensuring it proceeds as may be warranted by the other party and to their mutual satisfaction.

The rule caveat emptor applies in all transactions.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Closed Thread