The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!! > eBay & Internet Sales WatchOut

Closed Thread

Old 18 August 2007, 08:54 PM   #31
XELOR

As soon as I get the RUSA paperwork I'll let you know if the seller makes good.

What I've read about a 10 to 1 ratio of fakes to real sure seems easy to believe.

Thank you all for listening to my tale of Ebay woe.

If anyone wants to give me one of these I'll understand.
Old 18 August 2007, 10:19 PM   #32
leopardprey
Banned

Watch: Panerai 233
What I've read about a 10 to 1 ratio of fakes to real sure seems easy to believe.

It is like 20 to 1 in Bangkok!! And some of the fake I saw, unless you really knew Rolex Watches, would fool many. They have perfected the faking of Submariners.
Of course Bangkok is the capitol for fakes: Fake handbags, Fake clothing, and Fake women!
Old 18 August 2007, 10:43 PM   #33
jac67
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
Hello and welcome.

Firstly, I would do NOTHING except keep civil and professional dialogue with the seller until watch is returned by Rolex (if returned), and all the necessary paperwork arrives.

No need to abuse seller, contact ebay, police etc. until he/she refuses to refund.

He may have been caught out too. Remember, Rolex had to double look at it as well. The seller would've simply opened it up, seen a genuine movement and sold it off.

If he refuses to refund OR gets nasty, then go for your life.

Being abusive just closes doors.

Hope all works out for you, and keep us posted.

John.
Old 18 August 2007, 11:21 PM   #34
ozark1
"TRF" Member

Hope you get the situation sorted out. I would have killed the deal when the seller wanted a check. PayPal, while not foolproof, offers some protection. Again...peace of mind has value in a Rolex deal...and I can't imagine what one would need to purchase, that can't be bought from a member of this board...jV
Old 18 August 2007, 11:36 PM   #35
cjj14u

Watch: 98 Explorer II
Quote:
Originally Posted by jac67 View Post
Hello and welcome.

Firstly, I would do NOTHING except keep civil and professional dialogue with the seller until watch is returned by Rolex (if returned), and all the necessary paperwork arrives.

No need to abuse seller, contact ebay, police etc. until he/she refuses to refund.

He may have been caught out too. Remember, Rolex had to double look at it as well. The seller would've simply opened it up, seen a genuine movement and sold it off.

John.
I could not agree more. First of all I think everyone agrees that it just does not make much sense to put a genuine movement in a counterfeit case. Based upon the stellar feedback that this seller is said to have by the original poster, and the fact that he has so much more listed, I am willing to bet that he will make good EVEN if ONLY the movement and bracelet are returned by Rolex (see no reason why they would not return an aftermarket bracelet).
I do not think that he will risk a negative and report to fleabay over this IMHO and ruin future business. It DOES sound to me like the case fooled him as well.
Old 18 August 2007, 11:58 PM   #36
XELOR

Words of wisdom John .. Thank you for that.

Also, thank you all for the welcome and support.

RUSA must have taken measurements on the entire watch.

If I didn't want absolute integrity I wouldn't have taken the chance to send the watch directly to them.

RUSA is very strict with authentication and they didn't miss... however they almost did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jac67 View Post
Hello and welcome.

He may have been caught out too.

Remember, Rolex had to double look at it as well.

The seller would've simply opened it up, seen a genuine movement and sold it off.

John.
Old 19 August 2007, 05:10 AM   #37
Arturo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Black GMT ll
The realistic problem with these comments about attorneys etc., is that the amount of money is not worth it for most attorneys to open a file. I know it costs me internally about 2K to just open a file and get started. $300 plus per hour is standard for any experienced attorney, and more in the specialties. The amount is less than most circuit court jurisdictions so "suing" makes little sense as most civil jurisdictions for law suits start at 10K. So you could, I suppose, if you are not able to work with the seller, file a small claim suit, and if he defaults get a judgment. Then good luck on collecting.

No, the best way to resolve this is as you are doing. Don't panic....don't attack him yet. Keep the lines of communication open, and see if Ebay has any internal remedies for you. Hopefully, the need to keep his business is more important that anything else to him, and he will get you your money. How far are you geographically from this dealer?
Old 19 August 2007, 05:24 AM   #38
Green Arrow
"TRF" Member

A suggestion

Why not have the Seller send you your money and watch back after you send him a copy of your instructions to the Rolex Service Center to directly send the watch to its rightful owner the seller.

I wouldn't let a scammer have my money, my watch, and my evidence. You need one or the other to prove anything.
Old 19 August 2007, 07:00 AM   #39
XELOR

How many Ebay Rolex are properly authenticated?

Last edited by XELOR; 21 August 2007 at 05:19 AM.. Reason: sp
Old 19 August 2007, 07:09 AM   #40
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, of course!
Hi Xelor, and welcome to TRF (I see that this is not your first post anymore). I have been away for the most of the day and rushed here to TRF, since I am badly addicted to this fine (BEST!) Rolex forum.

Anyway:

Sorry to hear about that scumbag of eBay. I am not sure but I think eBay has a "Buyer Protection" programme that can give you money back (I think is is US 2,000?) if the "item was not as described", and definately he decribed it as a GENUINE Rolex, and it wasn't, was it?! You have PROOF from Rolex that is wasn't.

So let eBay engage! That is my advice to you!

Good luck!

LocTite 221: The Taming Of The Screw...
Old 19 August 2007, 07:11 AM   #41
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, of course!
Edit: I have just seen now that "Gedanken" writes that it is an US 3.000 buyer protection

LocTite 221: The Taming Of The Screw...
Old 26 August 2007, 03:24 AM   #42
XELOR

UPDATE:

Rolex did send the watch back to me.

The official RUSA paperwork says:

"CASE & BRACELET ARE NOT OF ROLEX MANUFACTURE"

Last edited by XELOR; 12 September 2007 at 04:17 AM.. Reason: sp
Old 26 August 2007, 04:06 AM   #43
Downing
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD ExpII GO Nav ND
The way I see it, you have 3 options:

1. Keep the watch.
2. Send the watch back and hope for a refund.
3. See if he'll agree to a 3rd party escrow who will take both the watch and the refund and make the exchange.

Personally, I wouldn't do the first option. I'd do the third option if it's possible. If all else fails, I'd send the watch back and hope for the best. I don't remember how much cash you put down but I remember you also traded in a watch you didn't want anyway.

Worst case scenario, you don't get your cash and unwanted watch back and you no longer have the fake to remind you of this mess. As worst case scenarios go, that's not so bad assuming you still have your health, family and friends. Chalk it up to lesson-learned-the-hard-way and get on with your life. Start saving your money again and next time buy from an AD or otherwise trusted source.

Good luck.

Rolex Explorer II White
Rolex Sea-Dweller
Glashütte Original Navigator
Panerai 183 G Black Seal
Old 26 August 2007, 04:13 AM   #44
XELOR

Yes...The watch is still just a "thing" I agree with the entire context of what you are saying.

I appreciate the help, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downing View Post
The way I see it, you have 3 options:

1. Keep the watch.
2. Send the watch back and hope for a refund.
3. See if he'll agree to a 3rd party escrow who will take both the watch and the refund and make the exchange.

Personally, I wouldn't do the first option. I'd do the third option if it's possible. If all else fails, I'd send the watch back and hope for the best. I don't remember how much cash you put down but I remember you also traded in a watch you didn't want anyway.

Worst case scenario, you don't get your cash and unwanted watch back and you no longer have the fake to remind you of this mess. As worst case scenarios go, that's not so bad assuming you still have your health, family and friends. Chalk it up to lesson-learned-the-hard-way and get on with your life. Start saving your money again and next time buy from an AD or otherwise trusted source.

Good luck.
Old 26 August 2007, 04:25 AM   #45
Arby
"TRF" Member

Did you Fax a copy of the Rolex paperwork to the seller? That's all that's needed. Hold on to the watch until you get the money and your old watch back. I hope this works out for you but no matter what... after the final outcome I'd give that guy the worse feedback imaginable. Just so it doesn't happen to the next guy he tries to sell that bogus watch to. How much did Rolex charge you to check it out? I'd add that to the seller's cost. That sux big time
Old 26 August 2007, 04:40 AM   #46
XELOR

I think I'm going to send the watch back first because he indicates he will not issue a refund without the watch.

He has dozens of ROLEX on eBay and also on his web site.

I'd like to think I have leverage.

Also, I have the receipt from him (the ebay seller) with the serial and the Rolex documents with the same serial number.

RUSA indicating: "not of Rolex Manufacture" .

I have to gamble it's not worth the headache for him to keep the under $3000.

At least that's my current logic!
Old 26 August 2007, 05:13 AM   #47
cjj14u

Watch: 98 Explorer II
Quote:
Originally Posted by XELOR View Post
I think I'm going to send the watch back first because he indicates he will not issue a refund without the watch.

He has dozens of ROLEX on eBay and also on his web site.

I'd like to think I have leverage.

Also, I have the receipt from him (the ebay seller) with the serial and the Rolex documents with the same serial number.

RUSA indicating: "not of Rolex Manufacture" .

I have to gamble it's not worth the headache for him to keep the under $3000.

At least that's my current logic!
I think you are doing the correct thing. IF he has the ebay feedback that you state I'm sure he will live up to his end.
You really SHOULD let us know who this seller is (Ebay ID) so that your brethren on the board can be wary.
Old 26 August 2007, 05:33 AM   #48
XELOR

Now that I have the RUSA supporting documents this is his information:

AMORRIS9999 on EBAY.

I assume there's nothing wrong with posting a business address:

WWW.FINDAWATCH.COM

7512 Dr. Phillips Blvd
Suite 50-260
Orlando, Florida 32189
(407) 709-8910

RUSA Document: 11025-3973 Dated 8/21/07:

Notes:

Case & Bracelet Are Not Of Rolex Manufacture
Return As Received
Old 26 August 2007, 05:42 AM   #49
Tripp11
"TRF" Member

Watch: TOG,PAM312,BR03-92
Not a hint of that company via business address or business name on BBB.

I would ask the seller to have a third party assist in the transfer or you're likely to be out the watch and your money.
Old 26 August 2007, 05:51 AM   #50
XELOR

I am concerned.

At least the movement is real because Rolex actually gave me a quote on the service before catching the problems with the case and bracelet.

He even made it a point to mention he normally charges a restocking fee when I talked to him.

(He is readily available by phone).
Old 26 August 2007, 06:17 AM   #51
Arby
"TRF" Member

Restocking Fee on a Fake sold as authentic? That's Funny!!! I hope you told him what he could do with his restocking fee...
Old 26 August 2007, 06:40 AM   #52
XELOR

Yes I Did.

He said "normally" charges a restocking fee but I still didn't appreciate the comment !

Last edited by XELOR; 12 September 2007 at 04:19 AM..
Old 26 August 2007, 06:45 AM   #53
mikey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Oysterdate 6694
Did you read ebay rules?

It is common practice to not send ANYONE cashier check, Money Gram or Bank Wire for an ebay auction. Its not covered by ebay policy or insurance. You should have done Paypal and you would have your money back ASAP.
Old 26 August 2007, 06:46 AM   #54
USMCsilver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Anniv. GMT II
Should we flood him with e-mails that threaten the end of his business? Guess we could if he doesn't make this 100% right!
Old 26 August 2007, 07:50 AM   #55
newtamparealestate
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II C
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCsilver View Post
Should we flood him with e-mails that threaten the end of his business? Guess we could if he doesn't make this 100% right!
Your jumping the gun. Dont ruin somones rep over somthing that really might not be his fault. He could have been taken just like the buyer was.

I make a living on eBay as well and to be honest, when somone is an asshole customer, I am just that much more likly to try to fix the problem for them.

He has been on ebay for 7 years, has over 300 feedback and only 1 negative ever. Thats a damn good reputation. Keep very good records of what you got, the papers from Rolex, reciepts for your check, etc and if he gives you any problems, you will have a case against him.

As far as being in this position, I did buy a rolex along time ago on ebay, had no issues. But the current 3 that I own were all bought at an AD, and I would never go another route again. Even if I do save 1000.00

To me its worth the excitment, and no worries of buying at an AD.

Anyway, good luck with getting your money back. I almost dont know if it was fair of you to put the info on here as of yet.
Old 26 August 2007, 07:52 AM   #56
USMCsilver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtamparealestate View Post
You're(sic) jumping the gun.

No... I said if he didn't get it 100% right. Wouldn't want to screw someone over before he had a chance to right himself.
Old 26 August 2007, 08:07 AM   #57
XELOR

USMC... Your post cheered me up!!!

I talked to the seller again and he more clearly promised a full refund.

It's nice to have you in reserve USMC!!! Thank You.

Also, this is a great opportunity for the seller if I end up reporting good things.

A full refund will support his contention the fake Rolex was an honest mistake.

Anyway, I hope I didn't bore anybody with all the posts I made about this "event".

I'm on stand by until I ship it back on Monday. (This post is on a Saturday.)

Last edited by XELOR; 26 August 2007 at 08:08 AM.. Reason: Sp
Old 26 August 2007, 08:32 AM   #58
USMCsilver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XELOR View Post
USMC... Your post cheered me up!!!
Glad to hear it, even more happy to hear that he sounds willing to correct his error (or blatent lie).

Just let us know when this is 100% over. I want to make sure that he's been true to his word all the way through this.
Old 26 August 2007, 08:45 AM   #59
XELOR

Absolutely USMC.

In fact, even if I didn't think your post was the greatest, I'd still feel obligated to update all the TRF members that took the time to read this thread and offer support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCsilver View Post
Just let us know when this is 100% over. I want to make sure that he's been true to his word all the way through this.
Old 26 August 2007, 09:27 AM   #60
real deal

I feel bad for you. You seem to be a nice person, maybe too nice?Sometimes it feels good to go into a AD and buy exactly what you thought you were buying. I would nail this guy all over the web, Good luck
Closed Thread