The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!! > eBay & Internet Sales WatchOut

Old 5 September 2018, 05:22 AM   #31
Uhtred59
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570
Quote:
Originally Posted by freefly View Post
You are likely right in many cases.
However, the number/frequency of new members showing up and demanding detailed info on what the "tells" are on the fakes they post is simply too high to be a complete coincidence, IMO.

Further, many here have invested a lot of time/effort educating themselves and are under no obligation to simply give their knowledge away for free. If any of these one-hit-wonder posters would stick around and become more involved/engaged with the forum (and not throw temper tantrums like petulant children, as witnesses above), then I would personally be more inclined to share.
That's just me...
Old 5 September 2018, 05:32 AM   #32
J!m
"TRF" Member

Watch: this! Hold my beer
Will you take my word a punch in the mouth will not feel good, or do I actually have to prove that to you?
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2018, 05:44 AM   #33
Zengal71
Banned

I agree with User Error. Some on this thread we’re not particularly welcoming to the guy and he was just probably looking for answers. Lets quit the nonsense and move on.
Zengal71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2018, 05:56 AM   #34
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zengal71 View Post
I agree with User Error. Some on this thread we’re not particularly welcoming to the guy and he was just probably looking for answers. Lets quit the nonsense and move on.
Questions like these usually receive the answer they deserve.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2018, 06:18 AM   #35
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Watch: YMII,GMTII,DAYTONA
Quote:
Originally Posted by User_Error View Post
FALSE.

They already are and with absolutely zero help from a bunch of forum nerds.

Can we please put this to rest now?
Not all counterfeiters (sellers of fakes) are manufacturers
People buy fakes and try to sell on eBay, by either trying to pass off here.

If we disclose all the reasons then they post photos that hide that!!!

And manufacturers are also checking. Why do you think hand stack changed on new Ultra Super Fakes???

You can believe what you want. I am actually checking!
Old 5 September 2018, 06:22 AM   #36
freefly
"TRF" Member

Watch: 4&5-digit Sub/GMTs
Quote:
And here we have another "non-coincidence" phenomenon. That is, a brand new member making their forum debut by white-knighting another new(ly banned) member.
freefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2018, 06:40 AM   #37
Zengal71
Banned

Freely— if you are implying am a counterfeiter because am simply new to the board you are sorely mistaken. If you are paranoid about a bunch of guys joining a Rolex forum on the web to get answers about a particular piece they may be holding maybe it’s time to make this a closed group. The forum begs for those who are simply looking for answers to come here and inquire. I own three Rolexes and other fine pieces including a Patek so am on the same team you are. But if guys coming on this board asking questions is keeping you up at night, you are grossly underestimating the power of some, especially the Chinese, to counterfeit. Those guys aren’t fishing on this board for clues but are stealing intellectual property directly from Rolex and counterfeiting the manufacturing process and machinery. My two cents.
Zengal71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2018, 07:10 AM   #38
haven_seeker
"TRF" Member

Watch: 19018N OQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by User_Error View Post
FALSE.

They already are and with absolutely zero help from a bunch of forum nerds.

Can we please put this to rest now?
Is this a hacked account???

Info/tells are never revealed here typically.
haven_seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2018, 07:11 AM   #39
crazymcmichael
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 114060, 216570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guanine71 View Post
Dear Fellow Members:

I would much appreciate your views as to whether the watch pictured below is fake or real. It was taken to a Houston based jewelry shop (which sells Rolex) and they could not make heads or tails of it. The lucite pearl on the bezel is missing. For my own edification, would also appreciate some rationale as why its fake or real. Many thanks.
Clear 1 second to see and tell fake. Why?? Cause it is notan Rolex by any meaning
crazymcmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2018, 07:15 AM   #40
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by haven_seeker View Post

That went south fast.
This made me laugh too hard.
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2018, 08:32 AM   #41
freefly
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Freely— if you are implying am a counterfeiter because am simply new to the board you are sorely mistaken.
No, just pointing out another all-to-common phenomenon of a brand new member coming to the rescue of another brand new member/OP.
IOW, your choice of thread to make your first introduction is highly suspect (as in: shill for the OP, or the OP himself). Sorry, just call `em like I see `em.

Just like the aforementioned and all-to-common phenomenon of a brand new one-hit-wonder member posting fakes and demanding detailed information about what the issues are with their piece.
I am sure many are legitimate requests, but I find it funny/interesting that most of the "fake or real?" posts by brand new members are almost always fakes.
Quote:
But if guys coming on this board asking questions is keeping you up at night, you are grossly underestimating the power of some, especially the Chinese, to counterfeit. Those guys aren’t fishing on this board for clues but are stealing intellectual property directly from Rolex and counterfeiting the manufacturing process and machinery. My two cents.
LOL, certainly not losing any sleep. Ask yourself this though: If we are "grossly underestimating" ALL of the counterfeiters out there, and they all have everything dialed-in without "fishing for clues", then why is it that there are still so many things wrong with even the latest/greatest fakes out there?

Also, as I mentioned earlier: Even if tipping off a potential counterfeiter was a non-issue, there is still no obligation by members here to share cumulative decades of experience with anyone, let alone some mouth-breather like the OP.

Old 5 September 2018, 08:55 AM   #42
CorradoBrit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
OP himself
I'm going with this option.
CorradoBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2018, 09:20 AM   #43
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
However, the number/frequency of new members showing up and demanding detailed info on what the "tells" are on the fakes they post is simply too high to be a complete coincidence, IMO.

. . ...
Some of the posters are from the Replica Sites who have put together their latest watch and are running it through the Forum as "sport".
Old 5 September 2018, 09:35 AM   #44
freefly
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Some of the posters are from the Replica Sites who have put together their latest watch and are running it through the Forum as "sport".
Good call, I totally forgot about that aspect. That is probably much more prevalent than some high-volume counterfeit operation looking to perfect their wares.
The replica site trolls apparently get off on the idea of trying to "get one past" the folks here. Pretty lame...
Old 5 September 2018, 09:49 AM   #45
J_1964
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710
Quote:
you are likely right in many cases.
However, the number/frequency of new members showing up and demanding detailed info on what the "tells" are on the fakes they post is simply too high to be a complete coincidence, imo.

Further, many here have invested a lot of time/effort educating themselves and are under no obligation to simply give their knowledge away for free. If any of these one-hit-wonder posters would stick around and become more involved/engaged with the forum (and not throw temper tantrums like petulant children, as witnesses above), then i would personally be more inclined to share.
That's just me...
+1
J_1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2018, 11:08 AM   #46
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
The watch in question here is a piss poor example, IMO.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2018, 11:20 AM   #47
Air Rescue 5
Banned

Watch: GMT MII
Garbage. Spend 15 minutes educating yourself and you won’t have to ask silly questions.
Air Rescue 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2018, 11:36 AM   #48
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
Welcome back ‘Guanine71’
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2018, 11:37 AM   #49
Chewbacca
Banned

Quote:

Finally. Someone gets it.
Old 5 September 2018, 11:39 AM   #50
august1410
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1983 15003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
Finally. Someone gets it.
I think this was what I was trying to allude to in my post and got it kinda wrong. My intent was good, I guess.
Old 5 September 2018, 11:40 AM   #51
Chewbacca
Banned

Quote:
And here we have another "non-coincidence" phenomenon. That is, a brand new member making their forum debut by white-knighting another new(ly banned) member.
Give it a minute.

Wait for it.

Wait for it.

Old 5 September 2018, 11:48 AM   #52
Chewbacca
Banned

And there we have it.

to the mods.
Old 5 September 2018, 11:52 AM   #53
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Watch: YMII,GMTII,DAYTONA
Quote:
Good call, I totally forgot about that aspect. That is probably much more prevalent than some high-volume counterfeit operation looking to perfect their wares.
The replica site trolls apparently get off on the idea of trying to "get one past" the folks here. Pretty lame...
Eric
As I continually reiterate its not just manufacturers but deceitful sellers AND REPLICA sites, that "test the waters" here.

Adam
Old 5 September 2018, 11:57 AM   #54
mr.president1
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEX OMEGA
Quote:

Further, many here have invested a lot of time/effort educating themselves and are under no obligation to simply give their knowledge away for free. If any of these one-hit-wonder posters would stick around and become more involved/engaged with the forum (and not throw temper tantrums like petulant children, as witnesses above), then I would personally be more inclined to share.
That's just me...
Seems fair

ROLEX & OMEGA
mr.president1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2018, 12:05 PM   #55
edweather
"TRF" Member

Watch: Casio Illuminator
And who says wit and inflection doesn't translate well on the internet.

This is way more fun than the Kavanaugh hearings
Old 5 September 2018, 12:23 PM   #56
CorradoBrit
"TRF" Member

Some people just can't walk away. Nice one Guano71
CorradoBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2018, 01:18 PM   #57
~Haze~
"TRF" Member

Quote:

That's just me...

That’s all it takes. It’s not hard, the information is all here. All someone has to do is spend some time interacting on the forum, looking around, reading different threads and learning. Specifically learning about Rolex - that’s when they can learn to identify Roiex (that’s Ro ‘capital i’ ex”).

It’s the attitude that makes people go no where quickly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
~Haze~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2018, 10:19 PM   #58
User_Error
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLADIATOR View Post
Not all counterfeiters (sellers of fakes) are manufacturers
People buy fakes and try to sell on eBay, by either trying to pass off here.

If we disclose all the reasons then they post photos that hide that!!!

And manufacturers are also checking. Why do you think hand stack changed on new Ultra Super Fakes???

You can believe what you want. I am actually checking!
I agree that some scammers are probably coming here to see if they can pass something off as real, however, I think the majority of the people asking simply don't know and are hoping they stumbled onto a good deal. 99% of people really have no clue what a real Rolex looks like.

And the hand stack on the gmt/exp 2 didn't change because of anything posted here. They have been working on the clone of that movement for several years now, same with the 4130, which is now available. You don't have to believe me but the manufacturers of reps in no way need the help of anyone here.
User_Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2018, 10:21 PM   #59
Gtecko
"TRF" Member

just lol
Gtecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2018, 09:16 AM   #60
tigey
"TRF" Member

Some people really dont know. I met a friend of mine for a drink a few months ago and he was wearing a Ceramic Sub. Naturally I complemented him on the watch. He told me he got the deal of a lifetime. He had just sold his souped up BMW. A guy came to buy it and brought cash, but he was $2,000 short of the asking price. My friend stayed firm as he was already selling it cheap and said no. But the guy loved the car and wanted it so bad he offered to give him his Rolex to make up the price difference. Of course, my friend accepted the deal. I asked to try on his sub, and as soon as I handled and inspected it, i could tell it was fake. There was no question. It was actually a good copy, but fake nonetheless. I didn't have the heart to brake the bad news to my friend, so I just tried it on, and said nice watch. To this day he wears it every day and thinks he is wearing an authentic Rolex Submariner. I think this is a common scam to use fakes as a bargaining chip, bet in a poker game, or some cheesy down on my luck and have to sell story. Again, most people love thinking they got an amazing deal of a lifetime etc...
tigey is offline   Reply With Quote