The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 8 June 2020, 12:38 AM   #31
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo99 View Post
carbotech is good, i think its more scratch resistant than my SD43 and hulk. my 1616 is still in perfect condition after 4 months!
Rolex is a significantly more scratch and damage prone. I would be sending my DSSD JC to RSC if I hit it as hard as I hit my Pam 661 Carbotech last year on a bridge pier dive. Zero damage on the Carbotech. Rolex is made of butter by comparison to Carbotech. Carbotech is the first luxury watch material you never have to baby or worry about when enjoying life.(game changer for me) My ceramic models are in a second place with all metal watches in a far third..

Mystro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2020, 03:10 AM   #32
waterman1
2024 Pledge Member

I concur with the comments on toughness of this carbotech. I recently picked up the 979 carbotech and as luck would have it, knocked it into a door jam with heavy force within 48 hours of getting the watch. Really nailed it hard - so much so it dented the wood frame of the doorway and took the paint off. Close inspection of my 979 after removing the paint chips shows absolutely zero marks. Nothing. This watch seems really tough. Also no change to accuracy and that has been excellent as well.
waterman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2020, 02:12 PM   #33
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Retail sales outperformed wholesale sales. I guess the third party retailers have been hit harder than their own stores ... or perhaps their own stores are just a better experience for the consumer ...
Might be because Richemont has been on a crusade to reduce their wholesale business, and has closed many AD accounts.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2020, 01:39 AM   #34
usc1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub of course
I might be in the minority here but I hope Panerai remains a niche brand. I like wearing watches that numerous people do not wear.
usc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2020, 02:56 AM   #35
Dan2010
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai 914
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc1 View Post
I might be in the minority here but I hope Panerai remains a niche brand. I like wearing watches that numerous people do not wear.
I agree. For some reason everyone thinks every watch company needs to be like Rolex and that's just not the case.
Dan2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2020, 03:46 AM   #36
ASW1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan2010 View Post
I agree. For some reason everyone thinks every watch company needs to be like Rolex and that's just not the case.
Another voice of agreement here. One of reasons I wear Panerai is because they're not all over the place. Something different.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
ASW1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2020, 07:36 AM   #37
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Hell yes. My goodness am I tired of the new blood being sheep chasing after popular approval with what watch they should buy. Panerai is for the WIS that marches to their own beat. Their in-house movements are outstanding. The amplitude is strong with the dual barrel mainspring which yields a longer power reserve and more importantly, accuracy far into their power reserve.
You want a good simple movement test that separates what a good movements is: Wind a watch all the way up and let it sit for 24 hours, then at the 25th hour, check it’s accuracy over the next 24 hours. That will separate a top performing movement from the marketing hype.
Old 13 June 2020, 08:01 AM   #38
sp006
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
Panerai is a exciting brand for me. There is enough conservative “same old, same old” brands out there to choose from.

I see similar parallels to my own Panerai collection. All my Panerai watches have held or exceeded what I paid for them not that it matters to me. I have noticed the new exotic materials Panerai is using is holding their value rather well. This is because there isn’t many in the wild. I studied the Carbotech examples for almost a year before taking the plunge as I needed to see how the material holds up. I was also waiting for a blow out price on the secondary market and that never happened. They go down after the initial new price and hold rock solid.
You buy a Carbotech right and they are rock solid with their value retention if that matters to you. In the end these are a luxury and style purchases and I think the more stylish Panerai look draws more affluent buyers in buying them for the right reasons to enjoy and not commodity buyers more into the resale value and the actual watch a secondary concern.

The Carbotech you have (which I love) can be purchased on grey market for just over 50% of its retail price. I’m not sure I’d consider that good value retention...unless you only buy the brand pre-owned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sp006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2020, 12:32 PM   #39
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp006 View Post
The Carbotech you have (which I love) can be purchased on grey market for just over 50% of its retail price. I’m not sure I’d consider that good value retention...unless you only buy the brand pre-owned.

I have never seen a complete box set with oem straps anywhere near 50% below msrp. $8200 - $9k full set with original straps preowned with warranty is about the best I have found. New $12,200 but really high $10k + tax with the right dealer..
Of course box and papers/warranty is a must. For Panerai, it’s good value retention. You buy for $8kish and you won’t ever get hurt if you need to sell.
Old 13 June 2020, 12:48 PM   #40
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan2010 View Post
I love Panerai, but honestly, if I wanted to buy niche brands that no one else really has/wears, I'd go indie (and I do exactly that for exactly that reason).

Panerai is mainstream.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2020, 04:35 PM   #41
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I think it’s more about the watch itself. From a distance, Rolex, Tudor, even Seiko can look similar. From a distance a Panerai can be nothing else. For that reason I think Panerai will always remain niche.
Old 13 June 2020, 11:04 PM   #42
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootbeer7 View Post
I think it’s more about the watch itself. From a distance, Rolex, Tudor, even Seiko can look similar. From a distance a Panerai can be nothing else. For that reason I think Panerai will always remain niche.
That’s a huge appeal of the brand.
Old 13 June 2020, 11:39 PM   #43
Heff
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedmaster Pro
Quote:
Rolex is a significantly more scratch and damage prone. I would be sending my DSSD JC to RSC if I hit it as hard as I hit my Pam 661 Carbotech last year on a bridge pier dive. Zero damage on the Carbotech. Rolex is made of butter by comparison to Carbotech. Carbotech is the first luxury watch material you never have to baby or worry about when enjoying life.(game changer for me) My ceramic models are in a second place with all metal watches in a far third..

Never been a big fan of the Carbotech, but every time I see yours it makes me reconsider.

Heff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2020, 12:56 AM   #44
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heff View Post
Never been a big fan of the Carbotech, but every time I see yours it makes me reconsider.

That is a great complement because I was in a similar position with any big luxury “black watch”. Once you wrap your mind around the build material and how tough and well engineered the case is it started to make a lot of sense. It almost makes my “metal” watches seem too common and pedestrian. I think once your collection reaches to a place where a luxury big black watch fits in, the Panerai Carbotech line stands out as the way to go. Panerai’s timeless design makes the black so elegant and rich looking. I promise you it will be THE most comfortable luxury watch you will ever wear. It also complements my Rolex and other more conventional watches and never feels like it’s redundant in the collection. I always say it’s like wearing a flat black LaFerrari on your wrist.

Old 14 June 2020, 01:04 AM   #45
ASW1
"TRF" Member

A recent convert to a black luxury watch here too...

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
ASW1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2020, 08:27 AM   #46
Heff
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedmaster Pro
Quote:
That is a great complement because I was in a similar position with any big luxury “black watch”. Once you wrap your mind around the build material and how tough and well engineered the case is it started to make a lot of sense. It almost makes my “metal” watches seem too common and pedestrian. I think once your collection reaches to a place where a luxury big black watch fits in, the Panerai Carbotech line stands out as the way to go. Panerai’s timeless design makes the black so elegant and rich looking. I promise you it will be THE most comfortable luxury watch you will ever wear. It also complements my Rolex and other more conventional watches and never feels like it’s redundant in the collection. I always say it’s like wearing a flat black LaFerrari on your wrist.

Well said brother. Just have never been drawn to black watches, but I would really like to see this one in person. You have a great collect!

Heff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2020, 09:02 AM   #47
Laszlo
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Date & No Date
Quote:

That’s how I feel about my 616. Never, ever have I liked a watch more. Especially on that strap.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2020, 09:04 AM   #48
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heff View Post
Well said brother. Just have never been drawn to black watches, but I would really like to see this one in person. You have a great collect!

Thank you.
Old 14 June 2020, 11:17 AM   #49
yachty 1
"TRF" Member

Watch: yacht master
I love mine.

something about an all black watch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191230_204115_copy_768x1024.jpg (165.6 KB, 158 views)
yachty 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2020, 10:46 PM   #50
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

(Said in friendly humor)

i HATE you guys!!!

All these pics of Carbotech while i sit here waiting for the 1118.

You heartless bastards!!!

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2020, 11:19 PM   #51
dnpina
Banned

Watch: 126610 LV
Y'all have me wanting a carbotech watch now

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
dnpina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2020, 02:40 AM   #52
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
(Said in friendly humor)

i HATE you guys!!!

Wow.....What is the wait time for the new super lume PAM 1118??

Old 15 June 2020, 04:11 AM   #53
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Wow.....What is the wait time for the new super lume PAM 1118??
Nice pic! Was told July delivery date by local Panerai Boutique.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Old 15 June 2020, 08:09 AM   #54
Joearch
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona + GMT BLNR
Quote:
(Said in friendly humor)

i HATE you guys!!!

I particularly like the Panerai black watches. Very clean. Have a few but not done carbotech yet.

Joearch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2020, 02:22 AM   #55
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Nice pic! Was told July delivery date by local Panerai Boutique.
That is coming up if we are still on schedule for the year. The black Panerai watch is becoming very popular with higher profile professionals.

Old 16 June 2020, 06:36 AM   #56
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

^^^ niiiiiice!