The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 25 August 2023, 04:53 AM   #1
Tri-Tip
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out!!!
Potential Fraud Opportunity -- Synchrony Bank

Curious if anyone else here uses Synchrony Bank?

Their online login always used to send me a one-time password when I attempted to log in, and of course, it sent it to the number on file.

I tried to login yesterday (used the url from the statement), and now it's asking me to enter the phone number to use to send the one-time password. That doesn't make sense to me, because they are supposed to send it to my phone number to validate my account, not to any number I give them.

I held off on entering the phone number, called Customer Service (phone number from the statement) and they didn't seem to think it was an issue.

Am I being over-cautious? There are so many forms of fraud these days, I don't think I can be too careful.
Tri-Tip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2023, 05:11 AM   #2
TC94
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-Tip View Post

Their online login always used to send me a one-time password when I attempted to log in, and of course, it sent it to the number on file.

I tried to login yesterday (used the url from the statement), and now it's asking me to enter the phone number to use to send the one-time password. That doesn't make sense to me, because they are supposed to send it to my phone number to validate my account, not to any number I give them.

I held off on entering the phone number, called Customer Service (phone number from the statement) and they didn't seem to think it was an issue.

Am I being over-cautious? There are so many forms of fraud these days, I don't think I can be too careful.
Sometimes that can be an extra security layer. If a number is entered that doesn’t match the one on file, nothing should happen.

It’s a way for banks to periodically check that the number on file is correct. That’s my best guess here, FWIW.
TC94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2023, 05:11 AM   #3
watchtabs
"TRF" Member

I would be cautious

watchtabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2023, 07:14 AM   #4
msnow
"TRF" Member

I’m a retired IT security exec and it is fishy to me too. They should already have your cell # in the database. Asking for you to enter the last 4 numbers is done sometimes as confirmation but letting a potential hacker put in his own number to access your account is not something any company would do. Are you sure you are on the legitimate web site and is it https?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
msnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2023, 07:49 AM   #5
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
I wouldn't do it.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2023, 07:54 AM   #6
77T

Do you mean a one-time auth code after you have entered a valid userID and Password? (Also known as two-factor authentication)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2023, 08:54 AM   #7
Tri-Tip
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Do you mean a one-time auth code after you have entered a valid userID and Password? (Also known as two-factor authentication)

Yes. If it's a phony site, they already have my Login and Password. All they need is to be able to clone my cell and they can get into my real account.
Old 25 August 2023, 08:57 AM   #8
77T

Yes - that is a possibility.

If you’re concerned, perhaps log-in directly from your web browser. Be sure https: is in the web url.

Then change your password online.

That should give you some peace of mind.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2023, 08:57 AM   #9
Tri-Tip
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msnow View Post
I’m a retired IT security exec and it is fishy to me too. They should already have your cell # in the database. Asking for you to enter the last 4 numbers is done sometimes as confirmation but letting a potential hacker put in his own number to access your account is not something any company would do. Are you sure you are on the legitimate web site and is it https?

Yes, it's https, and if I use my correct User ID, but an incorrect password, I don't get past the login screen, so that means that they validated by password with my login. Of course, before I thought something was fishy, I attempted to login, so that combination (User ID and Password) could have been stored in the phony site and now being validated.
Old 25 August 2023, 09:03 AM   #10
Tri-Tip
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC94 View Post
Sometimes that can be an extra security layer. If a number is entered that doesn’t match the one on file, nothing should happen.

It’s a way for banks to periodically check that the number on file is correct. That’s my best guess here, FWIW.
I tried using a different phone number and it would not accept it.
Old 25 August 2023, 09:07 AM   #11
Tri-Tip
"TRF" Member

After verifying that the site would not send a Two-Factor Authentication Code to a number that was not associated with my account, I made the choice to enter my number and I received the code and logged in normally.

Changed my password and hope all is well, I'll keep my eye on it daily.
Old 25 August 2023, 09:34 AM   #12
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

All two factor authentication tools I use block out all but the last two or four digits of the phone number I want it sent to. None ask for the whole number so I would definitely change user ID and Password.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2023, 09:38 AM   #13
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
A lot of times it is a phony scam site posing as the bank. This bank is fine.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2023, 10:39 AM   #14
msnow
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes, it's https, and if I use my correct User ID, but an incorrect password, I don't get past the login screen, so that means that they validated by password with my login. Of course, before I thought something was fishy, I attempted to login, so that combination (User ID and Password) could have been stored in the phony site and now being validated.

Ok, as you already know you need to call them, tell them what happened and have them help you reset your password. You should be fine wrt financials. Don’t worry they deal with this all the time.

msnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2023, 10:54 AM   #15
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchtabs View Post
I would be cautious
Exactly.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2023, 02:51 PM   #16
hdrazor251
"TRF" Member

Watch: is recovered!!
I recommend using their phone app. I’ve never had an issue.
Old 25 August 2023, 10:57 PM   #17
REQUIEMnJADED4U
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub-C Date, Pepsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdrazor251 View Post
I recommend using their phone app. I’ve never had an issue.
+1
I too never had an issue on their app and never encountered what you did on their site that I can recall.
REQUIEMnJADED4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2023, 11:09 PM   #18
Laszlo

Watch: Date & No Date
I would download their app, they must have one. Impossible to have a fake app on App Store. You’ll still probably have to authenticate via mobile phone (don’t use land line phone), or by email, a.k.a., two-factor authentication) as 77T mentioned above. Pretty common these days and good security

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2023, 06:33 AM   #19
omar10213245

Watch: Hulkerino
Quote:

my James Free Jewelers charge card is through Synchrony, and I've never run into any issues with them.
omar10213245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2023, 12:26 PM   #20
VictorGMT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
Impossible to have a fake app on App Store.
I knew what you meant on a Rolex forum, but far from universally true.

https://techviral.net/identify-fake-...le-play-store/
VictorGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2023, 02:36 PM   #21
Laszlo

Watch: Date & No Date
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorGMT View Post
I knew what you meant on a Rolex forum, but far from universally true.

https://techviral.net/identify-fake-...le-play-store/
:) I suppose it can happen but that is Google after all. I highly doubt much gets passed Apple. Their app approvals are really strict. But I’m sure it can happen regardless.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2023, 07:27 PM   #22
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT

If I read this right, you used the URL from a statement, and the statement looks legitimate, right?

Basically, the URL and integrity of the statement is being questioned here…

So if a fraudster was able to recreate your statement, with account number, transactions, and all the correct data, then you’re already TOTALLY SCREWED. They have all the information they need for stealing your money and identity. There is no need for them to contact you or “phish” for your username and password. It would be stupid for them to do so.

This is why I think you’re okay. It sounds legit. Also it’s not uncommon for companies to change their security processes from time-to-time and ask for cell phone info again even if it’s already on file.

With all that said, NEVER EVER click on a strange or suspicious URL.

Btw, I’m a technology executive for a bank…so I do have expertise in this field.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2023, 08:58 PM   #23
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Why are there so many bad people out there

Hope you get it sorted OP
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2023, 12:36 AM   #24
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Quote:
After verifying that the site would not send a Two-Factor Authentication Code to a number that was not associated with my account, I made the choice to enter my number and I received the code and logged in normally.

Changed my password and hope all is well, I'll keep my eye on it daily.
You did good and I'm sure you're fine.

Everyone else though, take note of this and be careful out there!

Just recently my mother was almost taken in by a scam, but fortunately she called me first and I told her to stop. She nearly sent in $20K+ just because these scammers are getting more and more sophisticated and clever.

I also work in I/T and I have a good idea of how most of this stuff works. It's scary. I also have the office next to the guy in charge of our network and infrastructure security, and they run tests and scans and hire people to break into our system...

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2023, 01:54 AM   #25
Tri-Tip
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash View Post
If I read this right, you used the URL from a statement, and the statement looks legitimate, right?

Basically, the URL and integrity of the statement is being questioned here…

So if a fraudster was able to recreate your statement, with account number, transactions, and all the correct data, then you’re already TOTALLY SCREWED. They have all the information they need for stealing your money and identity. There is no need for them to contact you or “phish” for your username and password. It would be stupid for them to do so.

This is why I think you’re okay. It sounds legit. Also it’s not uncommon for companies to change their security processes from time-to-time and ask for cell phone info again even if it’s already on file.

With all that said, NEVER EVER click on a strange or suspicious URL.

Btw, I’m a technology executive for a bank…so I do have expertise in this field.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I used the URL (typed, not clicked on) from a current statement, and I had already verified that is the same URL that was on past statements going back several years, so the correctness of the URL was not in question. My concern was that the URL no longer pointed at the actual bank's website because I was promped to enter my phone number to receive the 2FA code. In the past, it was always just sent. This lead me to be concerned that if someone had my User ID and Password, they could pass the 2FA test with any phone.

To alleviate my fears, I typed in a phone number that did not match my cell phone and it was not accepted. This lead me to believe that the site was in fact not compromised in any way.

I am very security conscious myself, which is why I questioned when something changed.

I have a Yubikey, but unfortunately, not many sites utilize this technology yet.
Old 30 August 2023, 07:24 AM   #26
White Collar Boy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PAM111
I misunderstood the title, and thought this was a job listing for a white collar criminal.
White Collar Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2023, 01:52 PM   #27
soyjer
"TRF" Member

Icon13 Synchrony has a bizarre way of choosing eligible phone numbers for 2FA.

Quote:

I used my girlfriend's phone number twice to log in successfully yesterday.
She's a beneficiary, and we live together, but that's it.
Synchrony has a bizarre way of choosing eligible phone numbers for 2FA. Before the current system, they provided a drop-down list with phone numbers they gleaned from credit companies, etc., most of them long ago disconnected and now belonging to random strangers.
I'm trying to find out from them why they don't just use the phone number(s) provided to them by the account owner(s).
soyjer is offline   Reply With Quote