The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 25 October 2008, 02:18 AM   #1
Terry Newton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex TT GMT II c
Here's a good one for the Watch Out Section

This seller is listing Rolex watches for sale with all aftermarket bands. What do you think happened to the original bands? I wonder what these bands are worth, being aftermarket, compared to the genuine Rolex band. What is he doing with the original bands? What is the gold content of the aftermarket bands? Are they gold plated? I wonder if the original ones are being sold for a nice sum and, the aftermarket ones being put on to make it look like you are getting a great, new band. It would be interesting to see what the watch is really worth without the original band.

It's funny how many of them have a; "Buy It Now" price of $3,495.

Hi All. I'm Earl Scheib and I'll paint any car for $34.95.

Opinions?

http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/mousep...Q_fromZQQ_mdoZ

Terry Newton

"Z" SS Date Submariner
"Z" TT GMT-Master IIc
Terry Newton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2008, 03:38 AM   #2
tudorman8276
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Prez
...mmmmmmmm.....

...yes sir....see what you mean.

...we all know that Rolex will NOT work on the watch unless the owner or the RSC puts a genuine band on it.

...since the seller is NOT hiding anything and up-front about the aftermarket band, wouldn't this be the SAME as selling only the watch head by itself???? The aftermarket bands do NOT bear any counterfeit markings and are generic, non-brand bands.

...I agree and personally do not like it much, but, I do not beleive the seller or any other sellers that list them like this are necessarily doing anything wrong.

...I own 30 plus Rolex and Tudor watches and have NEVER had any of my watches serviced by a RSC. My local go-to-guy does a great job at half or less the cost of a RSC service.

...I think this is in the realm of the BNIB Rolies we see being listed by certain sellers with modified dials and bezels etc.

...I would feel better about it if the sellers divulged the service issue in the listings.

...just my PERSONAL thoughts on the matter.

Stan.
tudorman8276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2008, 04:28 AM   #3
Terry Newton
"TRF" Member

What is the true value of the watch with the aftermarket brand? Are they gold-plated or genuine gold bands, 14K or 18K? What did he do with the original bands? Sold them at great profit and, now is going to get a premium on a watch, that may not be worth the asking price, because of the aftermarket band? These are my issues with the sales.

Any other opinions?

Terry Newton

"Z" SS Date Submariner
"Z" TT GMT-Master IIc
Old 25 October 2008, 09:49 AM   #4
erolex
Banned

fake watches people !! China made bands,cases,bezels EVERYTHING but the movement which is rolex. Common scam !
erolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2008, 10:59 AM   #5
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Is the gold "solid gold" or plated? He doesn't say in the auction. The guy is a con-artist hacking his trade for the unwary buyers on ebay. Nobody would be selling this many watches with replacement bands unless he knows something that we don't. My guess is that there are people buying these watches that don't know the difference and read about half the auction and bid thinking they got a deal. There are all types of buyers out there. Sounds like a problem for ebay to sort out before they have more unhappy buyers there and have to layoff another thousand or two employees.

I see he is getting $2000 to $2200 for basically a "head" with an incorrect band and dial. The correct dial and band would cost around $800 - $1000 to make the watch correct. $3000 to have in an old Datejust with no box, papers or booklets is very high. My guess is a correct, stainless steel, Jubilee band Datejust five to 10 years old is valued around $1700-$2000 (without the accessories and warranty paper). Nice scam here, maybe we should try it too.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2008, 11:30 AM   #6
stevemulholland3
Banned

Watch: 1680 18k sub
I have to agree with stan,I dont like it but theres not alot that can be done.
does he state that rolex will not service without an original band?if not then that might be grounds..
stevemulholland3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2008, 11:34 AM   #7
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by tudorman8276 View Post
...yes sir....see what you mean.

...we all know that Rolex will NOT work on the watch unless the owner or the RSC puts a genuine band on it.

...since the seller is NOT hiding anything and up-front about the aftermarket band, wouldn't this be the SAME as selling only the watch head by itself???? The aftermarket bands do NOT bear any counterfeit markings and are generic, non-brand bands.

...I agree and personally do not like it much, but, I do not beleive the seller or any other sellers that list them like this are necessarily doing anything wrong.

...I own 30 plus Rolex and Tudor watches and have NEVER had any of my watches serviced by a RSC. My local go-to-guy does a great job at half or less the cost of a RSC service.

...I think this is in the realm of the BNIB Rolies we see being listed by certain sellers with modified dials and bezels etc.

...I would feel better about it if the sellers divulged the service issue in the listings.

...just my PERSONAL thoughts on the matter.

Stan.
I agee with Stan here, not much you can do. The guy should be avoided.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2008, 12:35 PM   #8
Terry Newton
"TRF" Member

My mission is to see otherwise. I believe something can be done and I am making it a personal mission to see that this kind of selling ceases.

Terry Newton

"Z" SS Date Submariner
"Z" TT GMT-Master IIc