The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 4 February 2024, 12:40 PM   #1
myonlyrolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: submariner
New Warrant Card with NFC chip

Hi all was just curious as maybe i have over looked a post as there are many.
Does the warranty card with nfc link the watches serial number .
When you scan your warranty card does it transfer you to rolex site re your actual model as some have said it does not bring the model up they have purchased.
If already answered please add forum link
Thanks
myonlyrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2024, 12:58 PM   #2
HotAirKing
"TRF" Member

I actually tried this just yesterday to see and it brought up the generic Rolex site for both of mine.
HotAirKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2024, 03:07 PM   #3
David5807
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotAirKing View Post
I actually tried this just yesterday to see and it brought up the generic Rolex site for both of mine.
Same thing with my wife's watch purchased through an AD.
David5807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2024, 03:28 PM   #4
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
The NFC is a gimmick with no meaningful usage. It makes for a good marketing narrative to seemingly have Rolex on point with modern technology.

It doesn’t work and is a lost opportunity to suppress counterfeits
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2024, 03:55 PM   #5
Rolex1982
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Meteorite
Quote:
Originally Posted by inadeje View Post
The NFC is a gimmick with no meaningful usage. It makes for a good marketing narrative to seemingly have Rolex on point with modern technology.

This, i don’t understand why they didn’t use it to store more information on it. Like serial and purchase info.
Rolex1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2024, 06:36 PM   #6
jamesbondOO7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex or nothing
Somehow one gets that information:

Old 4 February 2024, 06:40 PM   #7
Rollieo
"TRF" Member

It has serial number and service performed for the extended warranty card when you bring it in for service.

I don’t remember what shows up for a new warranty card. If everyone is saying it’s just the model website, then too lazy to get the box and warranty to check.
Rollieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2024, 02:09 AM   #8
dcash0615
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es
When you scan your warranty card into your web browser it will open up the Rolex main web page only. It will not open up to your exact model. Not sure what data Rolex stores on the chip within the the warranty card.

2FA security active
dcash0615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2024, 02:12 AM   #9
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by inadeje View Post

Exactly that.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2024, 03:16 AM   #10
SubDate
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollieo View Post
It has serial number and service performed for the extended warranty card when you bring it in for service.

I don’t remember what shows up for a new warranty card. If everyone is saying it’s just the model website, then too lazy to get the box and warranty to check.
Key phrase “when you bring it in for service”. If no past service, the generic Rolex home page launches.
SubDate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2024, 03:51 AM   #11
Rolex1982
2024 Pledge Member

So I got interested. There is more data on the chip than we can see with our regular phone NFC reader. My educated guess would be that an service app that only AD/RSC employees have that can read more. The original data is encrypted. Here is a portion of the data that is on my GMT warranty card.

The base url is https://gcard.rolex.com/id?ekid…&enpd…..&enfd…..&cmac….

Where the dots are, there are encrypted numbers. Most likely unique to my watch. My guess would be that the gcard subdomain of the rolex website detects if the useragent is a regular webbrowser or the service app. If it is the regular webbrowser, it redirects to the main rolex website. I now think it is more than just a gimmick.

The ekid and enpd are most likely variables encryption_key_id and encryption_passwords. The other two variables contain the actual data. Again, just my educated guess but i created software with NFC chips and scanners in the Netherlands and it looks like the same setup is used.

Edit:
I just did a lightweight subdomain scan of the rolex.com domain and this supports my suspicions, the gcard.rolex.com url goes to a different IP address than the regular www.rolex.com. So it’s not that it is going straight to the rolex website. It first goes to a different webserver/application that checks some data before it redirects us to the regular website.

Rolex can track the warranty card and the frequency of checking the card. It also will log the user his IP address with the possible location data. If it uses tracking cookies they know a lot more than we think about it’s customer base.
Old 5 February 2024, 04:14 AM   #12
Rushne
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: White 116500LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex1982 View Post
So I got interested. There is more data on the chip than we can see with our regular phone NFC reader. My educated guess would be that an service app that only AD/RSC employees have that can read more. The original data is encrypted. Here is a portion of the data that is on my GMT warranty card.

The base url is https://gcard.rolex.com/id?ekid…&enpd…..&enfd…..&cmac….

Where the dots are, there are encrypted numbers. Most likely unique to my watch. My guess would be that the gcard subdomain of the rolex website detects if the useragent is a regular webbrowser or the service app. If it is the regular webbrowser, it redirects to the main rolex website. I think it is more than just a gimmick.

The ekid and enpd are most likely variables encryption_key_id and encryption_passwords. The other two variables contain the actual data. Again, just my educated guess but i created software with NFC chips and scanners in the Netherlands and it looks like the same setup is used.
Thank you! I was just going to post the same thing.
Given that every dealer has a Rolex issued mobile device as well. I would wager this device also has built in authentication to pass through this Rolex address unhindered unlike our phones.
Speaking with an ad it apparently registers the warranty and sale directly with Rolex.
Quite a change to the business model as Rolex always just knew how much they sold to their dealers and no idea when that stock moved onto an end consumer. Now they know when they sold to their dealer and when a sale was then made to a customer.
No customer data is sent of course. It’s just a flag back to Rolex for warranty activation.

Omega: Seamaster Professional 300M 2220.80.00
Rolex: Daytona White Dial 116500LN
Rolex: Sky-Dweller Blue Dial Jubilee 336934
Rolex: DateJust 36 Roman White Dial Oyster 126234
Rolex: OP 36 Celebration Dial 126000
Panerai: PAM 422
Patek Philippe: Aquanaut 5167A
A. Lange & Söhne: 1815 Annual Calendar

@mechanicaltom Stolen: IWC Portuguese 500107 Case number 3853222
Rushne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2024, 04:31 AM   #13
Rolex1982
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushne View Post
Thank you! I was just going to post the same thing.
Given that every dealer has a Rolex issued mobile device as well. I would wager this device also has built in authentication to pass through this Rolex address unhindered unlike our phones.
Speaking with an ad it apparently registers the warranty and sale directly with Rolex.
Quite a change to the business model as Rolex always just knew how much they sold to their dealers and no idea when that stock moved onto an end consumer. Now they know when they sold to their dealer and when a sale was then made to a customer.
No customer data is sent of course. It’s just a flag back to Rolex for warranty activation.
You’re welcome. I edited my post after you quoted it with some additional info.

Yes, they jumped (a little late) on the internet and big data train.

Since they now have a lot more information, they can track over time how the watches travel around the world a lot faster than they used to. And if everyone is like us that try the NFC chip, they even know more. Smart move from them.
Old 5 February 2024, 04:39 AM   #14
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
This, i don’t understand why they didn’t use it to store more information on it. Like serial and purchase info.
The info is for the RSC, not the customer. All you need to see is how long you have warranty left and for which watch the card is.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2024, 04:43 AM   #15
Rolex1982
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
The info is for the RSC, not the customer. All you need to see is how long you have warranty left and for which watch the card is.
Yes but the end customer doesn’t have access to anything. Like my posts above yours state, i can see there is more on it than I thought when i posted my first message this morning.
Old 5 February 2024, 04:43 AM   #16
DAGMoney
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Two-tone Sub
Tudor is using NFC technology, too. Their COSC product brings you only to the Tudor website, but their METAS watches are supposed to allow a consumer to view the METAS certificate for their specific watch. Because I have only a COSC and not METAS Tudor, I can't confirm....
DAGMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2024, 05:06 AM   #17
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Yes but the end customer doesn’t have access to anything. Like my posts above yours state, i can see there is more on it than I thought when i posted my first message this morning.
The rest of the info is only accessible for people with a WSR or WSA account. The previous card didn't give you any more information either, the rest of the information isn't useful or interesting to 99.9% of the customers, I'm sure some here would like to see it but most people don't care.

I think it's perfectly fine this way, I really like how easily the card is matched with the watch, it's faster for us watchmakers than making the older type card.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2024, 05:53 AM   #18
Rolex1982
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
The rest of the info is only accessible for people with a WSR or WSA account. The previous card didn't give you any more information either, the rest of the information isn't useful or interesting to 99.9% of the customers, I'm sure some here would like to see it but most people don't care.

I think it's perfectly fine this way, I really like how easily the card is matched with the watch, it's faster for us watchmakers than making the older type card.
I understand what you mean but wouldn’t it be good for the secondary market if maintenance history was visible? It would be an extra incentive to only service at RSC. Now (un)trusted dealers can claim lots of things.