The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 2 February 2024, 11:43 PM   #1
value.target
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, Rolex, PP
New Watch and Screws Mangled!

Hi all,

Just picked up my new 126622 from an AD yesterday. I had 1 link removed on each side. After I went home and looked at the watch, the screws were heavily mangled. Does this happen to you? How could a SA at a Rolex AD damage the screws this badly!
value.target is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2024, 11:48 PM   #2
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

We need a pic, but yes, this is very common and why you should resize yourself.

Working in a AD requires no training or special skills so you have to wonder why you would roll the dice and let someone that might have been working at Target last month in housewares, learn to size a Rolex bracelet with your watch……
Old 2 February 2024, 11:52 PM   #3
value.target
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
We need a pic, but yes, this is very common and why you should resize yourself.
i will send pics when i get home later... I never had this problems with my APs... now I know
Old 2 February 2024, 11:55 PM   #4
Xky
"TRF" Member

Maybe you could try asking for new screws.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Xky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2024, 11:56 PM   #5
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by value.target View Post
i will send pics when i get home later... I never had this problems with my APs... now I know
A good AD should be very selective on who touches their customers watch. Most times they don’t because of the challenging and limited access to competent employees.

Certainly don’t live with mangled screws or links. Go back and ask for them to be replaced.

I just did a whole tutorial on how to properly size a bracelet in the tools required.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=932527
Old 3 February 2024, 12:07 AM   #6
value.target
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
A good AD should be very selective on who touches their customers watch. Most times they don’t because of the challenging and limited access to competent employees.

Certainly don’t live with mangled screws or links. Go back and ask for them to be replaced.

I just did a whole tutorial on how to properly size a bracelet in the tools required.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=932527

True statement!

It's disappointing when this happens to my new watch!

Will asking for new crews create any tensions or cause an issue for my relationship with my SA? I am still working with him to acquire more watches...
Old 3 February 2024, 12:19 AM   #7
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Hi all,

Just picked up my new 126622 from an AD yesterday. I had 1 link removed on each side. After I went home and looked at the watch, the screws were heavily mangled. Does this happen to you? How could a SA at a Rolex AD damage the screws this badly!
Sorry but its not the end of the world just buy or ask AD for some new screws and DIY its not rocket science.In over 50 years of owning and wearing Rolex watches always adjusted my own bracelets if needed.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2024, 12:23 AM   #8
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Luckily my AD’s staff are very skilled at sizing bracelets so I’ve never had a problem. I’ve heard here that others have. Sorry to hear OP.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2024, 12:39 AM   #9
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Yes. Common. Salespeople are not good at bracelets.

It happened to my 114060 and I casually mentioned it to the SA and the next 10 watches I bought they let me size myself which isn't their policy.
Old 3 February 2024, 12:49 AM   #10
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
Quote:
True statement!

It's disappointing when this happens to my new watch!

Will asking for new crews create any tensions or cause an issue for my relationship with my SA? I am still working with him to acquire more watches...

It should be fine. They want you to have a good experience so you come back.

You spend good money, you should be happy. What you’re asking is not unreasonable.

The person who did it knows they mangled the screws. If you’re a customer who notices, you may save the next one the same fate.

AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2024, 12:53 AM   #11
value.target
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
Yes. Common. Salespeople are not good at bracelets.

It happened to my 114060 and I casually mentioned it to the SA and the next 10 watches I bought they let me size myself which isn't their policy.
How do you casually mention it with words? Share with me. Thanks
Old 3 February 2024, 01:00 AM   #12
CarlOver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I would take a few decent photos and just ask the SA if this is the expected result? Will be interesting to see how they approach this.
CarlOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2024, 01:03 AM   #13
Njkdog
Banned

Watch: Speedy reduced
Quote:
You can stick to the AP forms if you want then…
Njkdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2024, 01:27 AM   #14
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Njkdog View Post
You can stick to the AP forms if you want then…
lol touchy
Old 3 February 2024, 01:35 AM   #15
Jerrocop
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer 39, SeaQ
New Watch and Screws Mangled!

I’d take it back and ask them to replace them. I’d do the same if I took my car in to have the tires changed and the mechanic mangled the lug bolts. There’s no difference, I’m sure they’ll take care of you.

Jerrocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2024, 01:43 AM   #16
Pepperjack
"TRF" Member

Regrettably it really depends on the SA. I trust any of the watchmakers or watch techs in my shop to properly size most watches, including all Rolex. The problem with my particular store is that we work at one location M-F. So if you get your watch sized on Saturday, you're getting an SA, not a watchmaker or tech. Additionally, despite being trained multiple times how to use a heater, how to choose and dress a screwdriver, etc., some SAs just don't retain the information and some just don't care. I've literally had an SA stand over me while I removed a link and said "oh, so you do it the right way. I'm too lazy for that "

Another thing I want to note is that, at least at my shop, a watchmaker isn't supposed to size a watch. Rolex has specifically stated that. They want us to be doing services the whole day, uninterrupted. Because of that, SAs are afraid to even ask us for help.

I totally understand the disappointment customers feel when mangled screws or links happen. If it does, please know that you should mention it. The store should replace it. Steel screws are cheap, and we technically aren't supposed to charge for them regardless of if we damaged them or you lost them.
Pepperjack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2024, 02:37 AM   #17
Henrimontgomery
"TRF" Member

Watch: yourself
Of course, it's a cheap watch for the SA. Just like the Audi dealership doesn't value or care about their product (they see thousand of them yearly), your Rolex SA is a human who got jaded with the watch he handles.

I've seen this in pretty much any luxury house, and even got my bracelet damaged at Bucherer Geneva a while ago. They simply don't really care, it's a job for them and nothing else.
Henrimontgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2024, 02:47 AM   #18
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrimontgomery View Post
Of course, it's a cheap watch for the SA. Just like the Audi dealership doesn't value or care about their product (they see thousand of them yearly), your Rolex SA is a human who got jaded with the watch he handles.

I've seen this in pretty much any luxury house, and even got my bracelet damaged at Bucherer Geneva a while ago. They simply don't really care, it's a job for them and nothing else.
But it's still just a screw which can easily be replaced.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2024, 02:50 AM   #19
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:

Was in at another time chatting and said hey not a big deal, I know you guys were in a hurry, but a couple of these screws are pretty banged up. I don't want replacements or anything just wondering if in the future I can take it home unsized.
Old 3 February 2024, 03:39 AM   #20
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

You next time you go back……You know I was admiring all the attention to details Rolex has incorporated in my new watch. But I have to say, I found one particular issue I think we can do better on. The screws were deformed when the SA tried to size my watch. Can we replace them so the watch looks new and match the other screws that were not adjusted with? Perhaps the SA had a bad day when sizing it?
Old 3 February 2024, 03:41 AM   #21
ltmgeller
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Can't hurt to go back the AD
Old 3 February 2024, 03:53 AM   #22
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
You paid thousands of dollars for that watch. Please insist on new screws: politely, but firmly!

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2024, 04:00 AM   #23
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
They did the same thing to my DJ41. I just said the heck with it and left it. I don't ever plan on adding or removing any links so as long as it stays put I'm not bothered. Only someone looking closely at it with a magnifying glass will ever see it anyway.
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2024, 04:07 AM   #24
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Sorry but its not the end of the world just buy or ask AD for some new screws and DIY its not rocket science.In over 50 years of owning and wearing Rolex watches always adjusted my own bracelets if needed.
No one said it was the end of the world. Where do you come up with this sh**!? lol. Your projecting your own issues with the hobby these days, and while sometimes they are valid, your imagination is running wild blowing other things out of proportion. its pretty ridiculous and honestly I'm shocked you haven't taken a break from the forum.

You're right though, its not "rocket science" which makes it all the more surprising and upsetting when an AD screws it up (no pun intended). Furthermore, Im guessing your newest reference is a 5 digit. The 6 digits arrive slammed with loctite. RSC has told me directly they use a special method of heating the screw to remove them from the factory, so while it's not "rocket science" it's not as simple as it was when you bought your watches.

In my experience, this special method is not required if you have the right screwdriver. I personally only use the curvature style, hollow ground blades which are non slip while still providing enough torque to break the loctite.

While I can easily size a brand new bracelet in a few minutes today, I've had my share of trial, error and nervous sweats damaging screws on my first few watches. So don't insist it's super easy for someone that's never done it. It takes practice and the right tool.

OP, I'd bring the watch back to the AD and ask them to replace the screws. The entire set of SS screws cost me about $36, however that was about 8 years ago.

Let us know how it goes. Good luck!
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2024, 04:09 AM   #25
goldboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500
Pics would be great to judge OCD level or AD incompetence
goldboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2024, 01:56 PM   #26
EyeoftheTiger
"TRF" Member

This happened to my twice, first time it was when they resized the watch, second time came back and complained about it, they offered to replace the screws, they did and again they got to mangle the new screw heads, this time was even worst as new screws won't be flush with the links , so for the third time decided to go to a new AD, they again replaced the screws, this time they did perfect but new screws were shorter than the factory ones, at the end I had to bring the original screws and the amazing service technician fixed the original mangled screws.
So keep in mind if they replace the screws they won't be flush with the links
you're best option is find an AD who can fix the original screws and put them back very careful
EyeoftheTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2024, 02:27 PM   #27
Golden Phoenix
"TRF" Member

This is really disappointing for sure.
Golden Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2024, 02:41 PM   #28
MovieGuy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeoftheTiger View Post
This happened to my twice, first time it was when they resized the watch, second time came back and complained about it, they offered to replace the screws, they did and again they got to mangle the new screw heads, this time was even worst as new screws won't be flush with the links , so for the third time decided to go to a new AD, they again replaced the screws, this time they did perfect but new screws were shorter than the factory ones, at the end I had to bring the original screws and the amazing service technician fixed the original mangled screws.
So keep in mind if they replace the screws they won't be flush with the links
you're best option is find an AD who can fix the original screws and put them back very careful
There are different lengths of screws. If the person you dealt with knew what they were doing they would have used the correct length screw.
MovieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2024, 02:45 PM   #29
CarlOver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Sorry but its not the end of the world just buy or ask sAD for some new screws and DIY its not rocket science.In over 50 years of owning and wearing Rolex watches always adjusted my own bracelets if needed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadridv View Post
No one said it was the end of the world. Where do you come up with this sh**!? lol. Your projecting your own issues with the hobby these days, and while sometimes they are valid, your imagination is running wild blowing other things out of proportion. its pretty ridiculous and honestly I'm shocked you haven't taken a break from the forum.

You're right though, its not "rocket science" which makes it all the more surprising and upsetting when an AD screws it up (no pun intended). Furthermore, Im guessing your newest reference is a 5 digit. The 6 digits arrive slammed with loctite. RSC has told me directly they use a special method of heating the screw to remove them from the factory, so while it's not "rocket science" it's not as simple as it was when you bought your watches.

In my experience, this special method is not required if you have the right screwdriver. I personally only use the curvature style, hollow ground blades which are non slip while still providing enough torque to break the loctite.

While I can easily size a brand new bracelet in a few minutes today, I've had my share of trial, error and nervous sweats damaging screws on my first few watches. So don't insist it's super easy for someone that's never done it. It takes practice and the right tool.

OP, I'd bring the watch back to the AD and ask them to replace the screws. The entire set of SS screws cost me about $36, however that was about 8 years ago.

Let us know how it goes. Good luck!
Yes. Same BS all the time. Telling people that their issue or concern is a non issue and that they are being petty. Just more of the same.
CarlOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2024, 03:08 PM   #30
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Regarding the screws, if you're treading carefully with this AD, you can say something like, "Hey, a few of the screw heads are mangled. Is it possible to purchase new ones from you?"

Concerning expressing your preference for sizing your own bracelet, you can say, "I have a tradition with new watches I purchase. I enjoy taking them home, making a nice cup of coffee, and sizing them myself. Don’t worry about sizing it for me. Thanks."
omar-rye is online now   Reply With Quote