The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 5 February 2024, 02:35 AM   #1
Porschen
"TRF" Member

Advice regarding slow 124060

Hi All,

I bought my 124060 in Sept of 2020. It has always run a bit slow, but within spec. It is now slower, about 3 secs per day.

Im considering taking it to the AD, and I知 wondering what I can expect - will they immediately send it out to a RSC (Dallas, New York), or would they typically test / try to regulate before sending out?

Part of me doesn稚 want the watch opened up before service, but the other part of me thinks getting a potential issue addressed during the warranty period would be better than waiting for it to get worst and having to pay for an early service.

Last thing I値l say is I知 not looking to start anything regarding the 32XX movement debate.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts / experiences.
Porschen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2024, 03:11 AM   #2
hutch300
2024 Pledge Member

The could throw it on a timegrapher to see if something is amiss. Probably will end up at RSC. Only AD that would open it is one with a watchmaker and even still depends. I am not sure but I'd think warranty work goes back to RSC. That is an assumption.
hutch300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2024, 03:15 AM   #3
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschen View Post
Hi All,

I bought my 124060 in Sept of 2020. It has always run a bit slow, but within spec. It is now slower, about 3 secs per day.

Im considering taking it to the AD, and I’m wondering what I can expect - will they immediately send it out to a RSC (Dallas, New York), or would they typically test / try to regulate before sending out?

Part of me doesn’t want the watch opened up before service, but the other part of me thinks getting a potential issue addressed during the warranty period would be better than waiting for it to get worst and having to pay for an early service.

Last thing I’ll say is I’m not looking to start anything regarding the 32XX movement debate.

So you are worried about your watch loosing 3 seconds out of 86400 in a day, speaking for myself I would be praising my watch for being so accurate.Try resting watch in different positions overnight when off wrist might gain back those precious 3 seconds.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2024, 03:26 AM   #4
Porschen
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
So you are worried about your watch loosing 3 seconds out of 86400 in a day.
I know that is your go-to response to folks on this forum who ask questions about accuracy. I値l assume positive intent and take it as you trying to provide education, so thanks.

Rolex chooses the spec, which is +/- 2 seconds per day, so when the watch accuracy does not follow the spec, especially within the warranty period, it is reasonable to want to address it, which is what I知 considering doing.
Old 5 February 2024, 03:26 AM   #5
Porschen
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hutch300 View Post
The could throw it on a timegrapher to see if something is amiss. Probably will end up at RSC. Only AD that would open it is one with a watchmaker and even still depends. I am not sure but I'd think warranty work goes back to RSC. That is an assumption.
Thanks, I appreciate the input.
Old 5 February 2024, 03:30 AM   #6
Rolex1982
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Meteorite
Quote:
Hi All,

Im considering taking it to the AD, and I知 wondering what I can expect - will they immediately send it out to a RSC (Dallas, New York), or would they typically test / try to regulate before sending out?

Part of me doesn稚 want the watch opened up before service, but the other part of me thinks getting a potential issue addressed during the warranty period would be better than waiting for it to get worst and having to pay for an early service.

Last thing I値l say is I知 not looking to start anything regarding the 32XX movement debate.

My advice is to wait till it gets worse. -3spd is not bad at all and sending out and opening the watch has it痴 own risks. You can get some scratches on the watch or dust under the glass. All sorts of things can happen and I don稚 say it will but i wouldn稚 want to risk it for 1 second a day out of spec.

Just my 2 cents.
Rolex1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2024, 03:32 AM   #7
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

there's no way i would be sending a watch in to be opened for being -3 sec a day. like the post above already mentioned, there's so many things that even rsc has screwed up when opening watches, it's just not worth the headache of sending the watch in, waiting, then hoping everything comes back as it was. if it was -10 secs i would understand, but -3 is negligible

you also have to realize the cosc spec rolex comes up with is tested in a controlled environment and not always applicable to the real world. small deviations are totally normal
huncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2024, 03:38 AM   #8
Tim Plains
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
I, too, would not send it off for only -3 spd. Just set the time 1 minute ahead once a month, go on with your life, and send it back if it gets really bad or right before the warranty period is over.
Tim Plains is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2024, 03:38 AM   #9
Meyrin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 14060
This came with my old 14060 from 1996, and the "dial up" works for me. Yes, I know many will laugh and say these suggestions from Rolex are completely outdated and wonエt work with newer models, but itエs worth a try before somebody opens up the watch. Just donエt expect results after just one night, you need to try "dial up" over a good few nights!
Bildschirmfoto 2019-08-21 um 15.41.56.jpg
Meyrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2024, 03:44 AM   #10
Bxtek
"TRF" Member

I would keep an eye on it and wait for it to get worse before sending it in. You still have some time left before the warranty expires anyway.
Bxtek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2024, 03:46 AM   #11
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
I know that is your go-to response to folks on this forum who ask questions about accuracy. I値l assume positive intent and take it as you trying to provide education, so thanks.

Rolex chooses the spec, which is +/- 2 seconds per day, so when the watch accuracy does not follow the spec, especially within the warranty period, it is reasonable to want to address it, which is what I知 considering doing.
No Rolex tests to a precision of -2+2 seconds in a controlled test, this dont mean it will be exactly the same every day for life. As wearing on the wrist there are many many variables.

Even test below would still pass this Rolex precision test.
Position Of Watch seconds Per Day
Dial Up +2
Dial Down -1
6 o団lock +3
9 o団lock -3
3 o団lock +5

ICom Pro3

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Old 5 February 2024, 03:48 AM   #12
Endoscopist
"TRF" Member

I have a 124060 from 2021 which was +2-3spd until about a year ago when it started to lose, now about -10 per day.

Struggling with the same dilemma of send it in or wait due to fear of adding bigger problems by rsc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Endoscopist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2024, 03:59 AM   #13
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I’m sure you’ve read the 32xx movement thread and that’s why you’re asking?

The responses you get here will be no different here. Some will say yes some will say don’t bother.

Ultimately you have to decide what’s best for you.

I’ve never been fussed by this whole topic, but can understand why others are.

I read somewhere in one of the numerous posts on this and I agree that for me it’s a bit like advertised fuel mileage. I understand it’s possible under certain specific conditions, but in reality I know I’m going to get less.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2024, 04:08 AM   #14
The OG Beef
"TRF" Member

Mine loses 3-4 seconds if worn for 24 hours. If worn during a normal day it値l lose a couple seconds and gain those back if left dial up overnight. Timegrapher stats are bang on, it just so happens the way I wear it the negative results are dominant.

The OG Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2024, 04:13 AM   #15
The OG Beef
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyrin View Post
This came with my old 14060 from 1996, and the "dial up" works for me. Yes, I know many will laugh and say these suggestions from Rolex are completely outdated and wonエt work with newer models, but itエs worth a try before somebody opens up the watch. Just donエt expect results after just one night, you need to try "dial up" over a good few nights!
Attachment 1417618

That certificate absolutely applies to the 3230 in my 124060.

The OG Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2024, 04:14 AM   #16
THC
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16610M
O c d
THC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2024, 04:32 AM   #17
Porschen
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyrin View Post
Attachment 1417618
I致e seen this before! I store it dial up each night when I take it off, so I can only make it worse with the other positions lol!
Old 5 February 2024, 04:34 AM   #18
Porschen
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endoscopist View Post
I have a 124060 from 2021 which was +2-3spd until about a year ago when it started to lose, now about -10 per day.

Struggling with the same dilemma of send it in or wait due to fear of adding bigger problems by rsc

If mine was losing 10 sec/day, I would definitely take it in.
Old 5 February 2024, 04:35 AM   #19
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
The question fundamentally is which bugs you worse, the -3 SPD or the thought of having your watch opened, perhaps needlessly. What I would do is wait until you are closer to the end of your warranty period and evaluate then, perhaps including the regulation with the first service. It doesn’t appear there is any reason to do anything at this particular moment.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2024, 04:38 AM   #20
racerx
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I致e seen this before! I store it dial up each night when I take it off, so I can only make it worse with the other positions lol!
-2+2 is in a controlled situation. As others have said, it痴 running quite well. Also take into consideration movement and temperature change when on wrist.
I wouldn稚 sweat it.
racerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2024, 04:39 AM   #21
Porschen
"TRF" Member

Quote:
No Rolex tests to a precision of -2+2 seconds in a controlled test, this dont mean it will be exactly the same every day for life. As wearing on the wrist there are many many variables.

Even test below would still pass this Rolex precision test.
Position Of Watch seconds Per Day
Dial Up +2
Dial Down -1
6 o団lock +3
9 o団lock -3
3 o団lock +5
Interesting, I thought the spec would apply to general wearing (assuming the controlled tests are designed to mimic typical daily movements of most people)?

I work an office job, but walk a decent amount during the day around my company痴 campus.

I知 not too worried about the fact the watch is 3 seconds slow, but since it used to be 2 secs, I知 seeing a downward trend.

I値l likely keep an eye on it and reevaluate again before the warranty is up.
Old 5 February 2024, 06:49 AM   #22
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Interesting, I thought the spec would apply to general wearing (assuming the controlled tests are designed to mimic typical daily movements of most people)?

I work an office job, but walk a decent amount during the day around my company痴 campus.

I知 not too worried about the fact the watch is 3 seconds slow, but since it used to be 2 secs, I知 seeing a downward trend.

I値l likely keep an eye on it and reevaluate again before the warranty is up.
Regarding controlled environment when I bought my new car about 2 years ago they advertised I would get 45 miles to the gallon.Well these car mileage tests are done in a controlled environment,and myself have never achieved the mileage stated.Why because there are many variables when driving a car things like traffic how heavy foot on gas pedal.Did I take my car back over a few miles per gallon I did not get definitely not, and yes my car was expensive too just like Rolex are.Well its the same for watches most all comes down to owners wearing habits, why some worry today over a few seconds defeats me.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 5 February 2024, 06:52 AM   #23
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

Quote:
why some worry today over a few seconds defeats me.
Users are paranoid, rightfully so, because of the reported 32** issues and the limited time they may have left on their warranty claim
omar-rye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2024, 06:57 AM   #24
CarlOver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
So you are worried about your watch loosing 3 seconds out of 86400 in a day, speaking for myself I would be praising my watch for being so accurate.Try resting watch in different positions overnight when off wrist might gain back those precious 3 seconds.
Quote:
I know that is your go-to response to folks on this forum who ask questions about accuracy. I’ll assume positive intent and take it as you trying to provide education, so thanks.

Rolex chooses the spec, which is +/- 2 seconds per day, so when the watch accuracy does not follow the spec, especially within the warranty period, it is reasonable to want to address it, which is what I’m considering doing.
These comments are just typical. Sad, and not helpful.

The watch is out of spec and in warranty and losing time, so I would bring to AD and request that it is serviced by RSC. Should be no problem. If it wasn’t changing that would be one thing. If not serviced now and in a few years, that will be on your dime. I would take photos of the watch to document its condition just in case something gets damaged. Best to you!
CarlOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2024, 04:06 PM   #25
painexpert
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endoscopist View Post

10 seconds would be enough for me to send it in.

"No Good Deed Goes Unpunished"-Oscar Wilde

"Never Allow Someone To Be Your Priority While Allowing Yourself To Be Their Option"-Mark Twain
painexpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2024, 04:31 PM   #26
2loaded
"TRF" Member

Watch: es watches
Set it 10min ahead and you値l be early everywhere you go
2loaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2024, 04:34 PM   #27
amphr1
2024 Pledge Member

There is no need for service. Instead, experiment with how you use or store the watch. Some of my watch keeps perfect time if it stays on my wrist but runs slow if I leave it in my storage box overnight. Some runs slower if it's on wrist vs in watch box. It can even depend on where you store the box due to temperature. As long as it's consistent and not off by more than 5 seconds a day, you should consider the mechanical watch in good working order.

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using Tapatalk
amphr1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2024, 06:30 PM   #28
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
1 sec/day out of spec is pretty good. AD probably tells you the same
Old 5 February 2024, 09:28 PM   #29
njlam
2024 Pledge Member

I would send it in for service before the warranty ends, but no real rush.

If there is a 32xx problem, the more time you give them to find a solution, the better. I am for keeping the case openings to a minimum, no matter who is doing it.
Laine V38 SS - JLC Reverso Duo Q2714910 SS - Grand Seiko SGBA407 SS - Baltic Aquascaphe SS
TAG Heuer Formula One - Swatch MoonSwatch Mission to the Moon/Mercury/Jupiter/Neptune
njlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2024, 09:28 PM   #30
BraveBold
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I know that is your go-to response to folks on this forum who ask questions about accuracy. I’ll assume positive intent and take it as you trying to provide education, so thanks.

Rolex chooses the spec, which is +/- 2 seconds per day, so when the watch accuracy does not follow the spec, especially within the warranty period, it is reasonable to want to address it, which is what I’m considering doing.
Absolutely reasonable. Also, I’d personally find two things problematic more than the deviation. First, that it is slow rather than fast. Second, that it has worsened rather than held stable.

Those in combination absolutely would have many reasonable owners of these watches take advantage of their warranty. Especially users that rely on their watches for time keeping and not merely jewelry.
BraveBold is offline   Reply With Quote