The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 12 September 2018, 01:15 AM   #1
mayweather66
"TRF" Member

5167R - Waiting list?

Very quick question ... PP 5167R (Rose Gold) seem to not be excessively over priced in the secondary market in comparison to the 5167 steel premiums flying about ... does this mean it’s possible to get a 5167R from a PP AD quite easily, or easier I should say?

Thanks
mayweather66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2018, 01:46 AM   #2
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayweather66 View Post
Very quick question ... PP 5167R (Rose Gold) seem to not be excessively over priced in the secondary market in comparison to the 5167 steel premiums flying about ... does this mean it’s possible to get a 5167R from a PP AD quite easily, or easier I should say?

Thanks
Yes. Almost all sports watches have become scarce but it is most definitely easier to source a 5167r than 5167a.
Old 12 September 2018, 02:31 AM   #3
Sam Philip
Banned

5167R is easier to source than 5167A and 5168G. AD should be able to obtain one for you within few months.
Sam Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2018, 02:44 AM   #4
mayweather66
"TRF" Member

5167R - Waiting list?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Philip View Post
5167R is easier to source than 5167A and 5168G. AD should be able to obtain one for you within few months.

Interesting why would there be such demand For the steel at circa £22-24k UK GBP on secondary when the Rose Gold can be bought for retail at circa £27k?

Prices for the R therefore have quite some upside possibly?
Old 12 September 2018, 03:18 AM   #5
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Interesting why would there be such demand For the steel at circa £22-24k UK GBP on secondary when the Rose Gold can be bought for retail at circa £27k?

Prices for the R therefore have quite some upside possibly?
i doubt it. SS is where the demand is. The R is a better "value" at retail vs SS secondary prices, but i dont think the secondary prices for the gold models will shoot up.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2018, 03:19 AM   #6
mayweather66
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
i doubt it. SS is where the demand is. The R is a better "value" at retail vs SS secondary prices, but i dont think the secondary prices for the gold models will shoot up.

Thanks but natural upside in price over say 5 - 10 years? Due to PP price adjustments
Old 12 September 2018, 03:23 AM   #7
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks but natural upside in price over say 5 - 10 years? Due to PP price adjustments
doubtful you will sell it for more than you paid. Its not going to tank either though. I wouldn't be making the purchase decision on that though. Prices are close enough that if i wanted the SS, i would get the SS and not get gold because its a better relative deal.

What is more likely is the SS will go down as it looks like a bubble. The R probably positioned fairly well.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 12 September 2018, 04:28 AM   #8
mayweather66
"TRF" Member

Quote:
doubtful you will sell it for more than you paid. Its not going to tank either though. I wouldn't be making the purchase decision on that though. Prices are close enough that if i wanted the SS, i would get the SS and not get gold because its a better relative deal.

What is more likely is the SS will go down as it looks like a bubble. The R probably positioned fairly well.

Exactly this, rel value is far greater for the R ... wish the steel sat around £17k max ...

Out of interest the last time there was a financial crisis ie 08’ onwards did Watch values drop significantly?
Old 12 September 2018, 06:55 AM   #9
R!$
Banned

Its funny but true
R!$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2018, 08:43 AM   #10
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Exactly this, rel value is far greater for the R ... wish the steel sat around £17k max ...

Out of interest the last time there was a financial crisis ie 08’ onwards did Watch values drop significantly?
Yes prices did drop significantly. Remember looking at AP Chrono for 9-10k. Then again prices for a lot of stuff was in the toilet.
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2018, 05:15 AM   #11
mayweather66
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchang81 View Post
Yes prices did drop significantly. Remember looking at AP Chrono for 9-10k. Then again prices for a lot of stuff was in the toilet.

Interesting ... may wait off as similar times are probably coming in the next 24 months
Old 13 September 2018, 07:39 PM   #12
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Interesting ... may wait off as similar times are probably coming in the next 24 months
maybe.... or not

Timing the market, id rather do it with investments as financial markets are going to mirror the watch market. If it was that easy though everyone would be filthy rich.

There is an opportunity cost in holding the money and waiting as you could pay more (AD price rise, Secondary market rise, inflation, etc). I still think the secondary market is in a bubble, but it could continue on for a long time.
Old 13 September 2018, 07:46 PM   #13
mayweather66
"TRF" Member

Quote:
maybe.... or not

Timing the market, id rather do it with investments as financial markets are going to mirror the watch market. If it was that easy though everyone would be filthy rich.

There is an opportunity cost in holding the money and waiting as you could pay more (AD price rise, Secondary market rise, inflation, etc). I still think the secondary market is in a bubble, but it could continue on for a long time.

Agreed - definitely feels we have seen a huge bubble emerge over the past 3-5 years... pretty shocked to be fair, like Daytona SS at £15k is an incredible sight.
Old 13 September 2018, 08:58 PM   #14
tchaic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tag Heuer 2000
When people have extra money luxury items with high demand and low supply go up. In a recession the price of preowned 5167 R only goes down materially if owners are forced to sell under some level of duress. In theory a 5167R is a 3rd or 4th Patek and shouldn’t flood the market. But who knows!
tchaic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2018, 09:00 PM   #15
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchaic View Post
When people have extra money luxury items with high demand and low supply go up. In a recession the price of preowned 5167 R only goes down materially if owners are forced to sell under some level of duress. In theory a 5167R is a 3rd or 4th Patek and shouldn’t flood the market. But who knows!
they would go down both because more get unloaded by their owners, but also because less people would have money to then buy them. Its the lack of buyers i would be concerned about as even if a recession doesnt wipe you out personally i do think people will be more tight fisted.
Old 13 September 2018, 09:07 PM   #16
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
i thought ultra high end luxury goods tend to hold up better in downturns? The thought that people at that price level are able to continue to spend?
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2018, 11:57 PM   #17
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
i thought ultra high end luxury goods tend to hold up better in downturns? The thought that people at that price level are able to continue to spend?
They do to some degree but when people are talking about that sort of thing they usually are referring to the company itself being able to cover its expenses and still turn a profit.

This whole idea of people bidding up regular production watches would never hold as not all the buyers are financially insulated from a broader market decline.

I am of the belief it will turn quickly as speculators back out and greys slow their buying as inventory swells and sits. Not to mention owners who need money for other opportunities selling.

That said I have not the slightest clue when this could occur or I would be rich.
Old 14 September 2018, 02:53 AM   #18
Codik
"TRF" Member

I was at the London salon a few weeks ago, and they said they could get it within a year. Given that they're the most oversubscribed AD in the UK, I'd guess you can probably get it immediately if you call a few ADs.
Codik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2018, 04:13 AM   #19
SL BRABUS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Only Rolex & Patek
To the OP....

5167R have a lot shorter waiting list then the SS 5167 & a lot easier to get then SS 5167.....

I say if you like the watch put yourself on the waiting list & pay retail.....

Off topic.....

If there a financial crisis recession and people letting go of their luxury cars, their luxury watches, & so on.....

You can label them as "Fake Rich"....

I saw the true color of those fake rich people during the financial crisis recession during the dot com boom (year 2000) & financial crisis recession during housing market (year 2008)......

During that time the first thing to go is the high end luxury car such as Lamborghini, Ferrari, Bentley & etc....

Next is the luxury watches & luxury items.... All kinds..... You name it....

After that is the luxury home being foreclosure....

Sad but it true there a lot of fake rich out there.....

The true test, if doing financial crisis recession people are able to keep what they have that mean they are rich & smart with their money......

Patek Philippe & Rolex are smart by cutting the supply of their SS Sport watches..... They thinking of the long term effect of the economy.... Which I think it will be good for them in the long term if there will be a financial crisis recession in the future......

Check out this video.... Are you one of them....."Fake Rich"

"SL BRABUS" aka BenzWorld Undercover Moderator
SL BRABUS is offline   Reply With Quote