The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 15 June 2017, 06:44 AM   #1
debner4
"TRF" Member

I'm able to correct 5712 accuracy nightly...

I just bought a 5712/1A and I have noticed something interesting. When I wear the watch, it is accurate within .5 seconds over a 12+ hour span (well within tolerance). However, when I set it down for the night, it loses or gains time based on the direction I lay the watch down beyond tolerance. For instance:

Crown up: loses approx. 2 seconds per 10 hours.
Crown down: gains approx. 2 seconds per 10 hours.
Crown right: loses approx. 2 seconds per 10 hours.
Crown left: loses approx. 1 second per 10 hours.
Face up: gains approx. 1.5 seconds per 10 hours.
Face Down: gains approx. 1.5 seconds per 10 hours.

At first I was a bit annoyed that I could have the watch perfectly accurate to the second throughout the day, but when I woke up in the morning, it would lose or gain about 2 seconds (which is more than double the stated tolerance of +2/-3). But now, I find it somewhat useful in that I simply check the exact time when I take the watch off at night, and if it is fast, I place it crown down, and if it is slow, I place it crown up-- thereby "auto-adjusting" the time overnight.

So basically, although my OCD is still a little frustrated that there isn't an orientation that keeps perfect time, I at least have a watch that will be accurate to within +2/-2 seconds perpetually as it NEVER loses or gains more than 2 seconds during the day, so it is always within 2 seconds of accurate every morning/day, and usually within 1 second...

Anyone else notice this about any of their watches, or am I the only one crazy enough to have even tried to time the differences in accuracy based on watch orientation/positions overnight?

debner4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2017, 09:11 AM   #2
yoast
"TRF" Member

To be honest, I like to look at the dial. Couldn't care less about accuracy.... if I did, I probably would've bought a digital watch of some kind.
Old 15 June 2017, 10:42 AM   #3
Jonbut76
"TRF" Member

You are insane... it's fantastic!

I get what crown up, crown down, face up and face down is but what is crown left and crown right?

I normally adopt the crown up position with my 5164 and anecdotally I lose time. I would only notice when there's 1-2 minutes difference though.
Jonbut76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2017, 10:50 AM   #4
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
I'm not sure if mechanical watches are for you friend.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2017, 10:55 AM   #5
debner4
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonbut76 View Post
You are insane... it's fantastic!

I get what crown up, crown down, face up and face down is but what is crown left and crown right?

I normally adopt the crown up position with my 5164 and anecdotally I lose time. I would only notice when there's 1-2 minutes difference though.
Basically, crown right is setting the watch down so that it is essentially facing you, crown left would be the same but the watch is upside down.
Old 15 June 2017, 10:57 AM   #6
debner4
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by codecow View Post
I'm not sure if mechanical watches are for you friend.
Not at all, I have 6 watches and all are mechanical. I just view the precision of the timekeeping as part of the precision of the craftsmanship. I could care less whether the time is right within a minute, but I do care if the watch is precise, just for the sake of the craftsmanship that it takes to get the precision. If that makes sense.
Old 15 June 2017, 11:08 AM   #7
Jonbut76
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by debner4 View Post
Basically, crown right is setting the watch down so that it is essentially facing you, crown left would be the same but the watch is upside down.

Ah got it now - thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jonbut76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2017, 11:16 AM   #8
jschmidtdmd
"TRF" Member

You even use these to read time?
Old 15 June 2017, 11:24 AM   #9
codecow
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Not at all, I have 6 watches and all are mechanical. I just view the precision of the timekeeping as part of the precision of the craftsmanship. I could care less whether the time is right within a minute, but I do care if the watch is precise, just for the sake of the craftsmanship that it takes to get the precision. If that makes sense.
To each his own. Accuracy seems like an odd thing to treasure these days when everyone has an extremely accurate cell phone in their pocket. If I have to set my watch every few weeks that's fine with me.
Old 15 June 2017, 12:08 PM   #10
debner4
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=codecow;7682554]To each his own. Accuracy seems like an odd thing to treasure these days when everyone has an extremely accurate cell phone in their pocket. If I have to set my watch every few weeks that's fine with me.[/QUOTE

To achieve accuracy mechanically is an achievement that I value. I could care less about the accuracy beyond that and don't care that cell phones and quartz are more accurate because that is easy to accomplish. Being accurate with a mechanical watch is very difficult.
Old 15 June 2017, 12:13 PM   #11
codecow
"TRF" Member

It used to be, but there are limitations. The tourbillon used to be important for accuracy but today it's mostly cosmetic. We used to have observatory prizes for accuracy but those ended.
Old 15 June 2017, 01:55 PM   #12
watchucallit
"TRF" Member

My 5164 looses about 2 sec per day but if i leave it face down overnight it catches up. So if i wear it for a week or so.. I can have it close to perfect. There is a difference between accuracy and precision --- and have to let the OCD go.

Quote:
I just bought a 5712/1A and I have noticed something interesting. When I wear the watch, it is accurate within .5 seconds over a 12+ hour span (well within tolerance). However, when I set it down for the night, it loses or gains time based on the direction I lay the watch down beyond tolerance. For instance:

At first I was a bit annoyed that I could have the watch perfectly accurate to the second throughout the day, but when I woke up in the morning, it would lose or gain about 2 seconds (which is more than double the stated tolerance of +2/-3). But now, I find it somewhat useful in that I simply check the exact time when I take the watch off at night, and if it is fast, I place it crown down, and if it is slow, I place it crown up-- thereby "auto-adjusting" the time overnight.

So basically, although my OCD is still a little frustrated that there isn't an orientation that keeps perfect time, I at least have a watch that will be accurate to within +2/-2 seconds perpetually as it NEVER loses or gains more than 2 seconds during the day, so it is always within 2 seconds of accurate every morning/day, and usually within 1 second...

Anyone else notice this about any of their watches, or am I the only one crazy enough to have even tried to time the differences in accuracy based on watch orientation/positions overnight?

watchucallit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2017, 07:46 PM   #13
KarlS
Banned

Stick it in watchfinder
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2017, 10:24 PM   #14
erics
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712r, XX, 1675
i have the same issue with my 5712r. Drives me a bit nuts. Loses time when i put it on the left side (remember no bracelet on this one so default option).

On the other hand, i have a 1973 1675 and this is spot on accurate regardless of any position. I had it 3-4 years and never serviced it.
erics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2017, 10:46 PM   #15
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
To achieve accuracy mechanically is an achievement that I value. I could care less about the accuracy beyond that and don't care that cell phones and quartz are more accurate because that is easy to accomplish. Being accurate with a mechanical watch is very difficult.
The phrase is ‘couldn’t care less’ – as in it’s not possible to care less than how little you do already.

Well done for spending a bit of time tracking the overnight performance off your wrist, but just make sure the PR indicator is at or near it’s maximum.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2017, 01:08 AM   #16
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
So basically you are in 3 seconds per 24hours right? For me it's fine, before I was a little more into accuracy, but now I basically wear each of my watches in rotation, so out of the bank for 7-10 days and back to change for another. So for me when I get a watch out I set the exact time and maybe once every 7-8 days will check accuracy, but I am ok if it's a little off
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2017, 01:21 AM   #17
slashd0t
"TRF" Member

Watch: This & That
You're way overthinking this watch ... Set the time, wear it, enjoy it.. After a few weeks if you notice the time is off a little bit, adjust it and move on. Life is too short to worry about these things!
Old 16 June 2017, 03:25 AM   #18
debner4
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slashd0t View Post
You're way overthinking this watch ... Set the time, wear it, enjoy it.. After a few weeks if you notice the time is off a little bit, adjust it and move on. Life is too short to worry about these things!
I'm trying to be clear with everyone that I really don't care about the accuracy, I just thought it was interesting that each position varied so much and so predictably.
Old 17 June 2017, 02:22 PM   #19
rollee1
"TRF" Member

Watch: it watching me
Very useful post, thank you for the research.
I did the same.

My 5167 (324) for the past 2 months, I am at +1 since I put it on at the boutique.
I know the 240 of 5712 is even better in accuracy.
Old 17 June 2017, 09:45 PM   #20
Alford78
"TRF" Member

As long as I'm within the minute I am good so only change time every 4-6 weeks.
Alford78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2017, 12:16 AM   #21
jimroe
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 571211A-001
Quote:
In fact I have and my 5712/1A is very nearly identical to yours in almost all regards. Like yours mine runs almost spot on when on my wrist and then either gains or loses a bit overnight depending on what position I put it in. With mine, the same positions gain a little or lose a little to essentially the same degree as yours does. I also find this useful as I can keep the time within a couple of seconds for months - just by knowing what position to put it in at night.

Everyone may look at this differently and that's fine. For me - I would love the watch even if it was not as accurate as it is but the fact that its ability to keep excellent time just adds to all the other things I love and appreciate about it.
Old 25 June 2017, 04:37 AM   #22
sirish19
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP-VC-AP
Quote:

Let me see if I got this right.....you sleep 10 hours every night??!!

Old 25 June 2017, 07:27 AM   #23
debner4
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirish19 View Post
Let me see if I got this right.....you sleep 10 hours every night??!!

Nope. But I take my Patek off when I get home from work rather than wait until right before I go to bed. Hence the 10 hour measurement rather than 6-8.

The watch doesn't know when I go to sleep, only when I take it off.
Old 25 June 2017, 07:34 AM   #24
sirish19
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP-VC-AP
Quote:
Nope. But I take my Patek off when I get home from work rather than wait until right before I go to bed. Hence the 10 hour measurement rather than 6-8.

The watch doesn't know when I go to sleep, only when I take it off.

Haha, I was just joking. I like your post and observations. I also appreciate accuracy in fine timepieces and think it is fascinating how they are able to manufacture these works of art with functionality.