The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 21 June 2017, 04:34 AM   #1
MJaber
"TRF" Member

Watch: Romain Gauthier
Suggestions for my first Patek

Hello,

i'm in the process of building my dream collection. Ive currently got a Rolex Explorer MK2 and a Speedy Pro. Also, i have on order the uber sexy Lange Saxonia Thin 37mm in Pink gold!

Seeing that many of you are experts on PP and have an extensive collection, i figured i might seek your advice on which one to go for. I'm looking for a piece with a complication including a Moonphase. Not interested in the Nautilus whatsoever and preferably without the massive rotor. Micro rotor is my preference.

Thank you!
MJaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2017, 05:20 AM   #2
KarlS
Banned

The one you like and can afford is always a great starting pint
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2017, 05:27 AM   #3
Hollister
Banned

Watch: 114300
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJaber View Post

Not interested in the Nautilus whatsoever
Lucky, because you can't get one at the moment!

On a less flippant note, isn't this a matter for you to decide? I really don't get these "what should I buy" threads, just get the one you like.
Hollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2017, 05:33 AM   #4
MJaber
"TRF" Member

I'm obviously going to buy what I can afford and like but it's very interesting to me to read what other people think. Your respective opinions and observations can help me make an enlightened decision.
Old 21 June 2017, 05:35 AM   #5
Hollister
Banned

OK, have a look on PP's website, search 240 movement micro-rotor, and see which watches have it. Then choose one.

FWIW, my favourite is the 5712 steel, but you don't want it, and can't get it, so.....
Old 21 June 2017, 06:02 AM   #6
KarlS
Banned

Oh easy...5131P
Old 21 June 2017, 06:48 AM   #7
MJaber
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlS View Post
Oh easy...5131P

ha! I've got a better chance becoming the Prime Minister.
Old 21 June 2017, 07:11 AM   #8
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
If the 5712 is out I think the 5396 with Breguets is a nice MP piece.

http://www.ablogtowatch.com/wp-conte...Watch-17-1.jpg
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2017, 07:16 AM   #9
RussW
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5990
Quote:
Hello,

i'm in the process of building my dream collection. Ive currently got a Rolex Explorer MK2 and a Speedy Pro. Also, i have on order the uber sexy Lange Saxonia Thin 37mm in Pink gold!

Seeing that many of you are experts on PP and have an extensive collection, i figured i might seek your advice on which one to go for. I'm looking for a piece with a complication including a Moonphase. Not interested in the Nautilus whatsoever and preferably without the massive rotor. Micro rotor is my preference.

Thank you!
It's a shame you've ruled out the Nautilus as the 5712 ticks all your boxes.

What's your budget?

I'd consider - 5230. Micro rotor, no moonphase
- 5205. No micro rotor, moonphase

If you can be more flexible in what you want I'd look at 5524, 5905, 5960, 5930.
RussW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2017, 07:47 AM   #10
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

The perpetual calendar 5327 has a micro-rotor and moonphase. However its pricing makes it an uncommon first Patek for most people. If you don't mind pre-owned, its older siblings 3940 and 5140 can be found at a "more affordable" price.

Otherwise the 175th Anniversary World Time, 5575G has a micro-rotor and moonphase.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2017, 07:55 AM   #11
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Tough order looking for 240 and mp but not 5712. I think the 5396 Neil posted or the WG grey dial are sensational. But they don't have a micro rotor.
Old 21 June 2017, 08:06 AM   #12
KarlS
Banned

Quote:

Don't be too hasty....considering the current longevity you could be in with a chance!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 21 June 2017, 08:12 AM   #13
Hollister
Banned

Quote:
Don't be too hasty....considering the current longevity you could be in with a chance!!
Poisoned chalice, though. At least he could get a PP, so maybe not all bad.
Old 21 June 2017, 08:20 AM   #14
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2017, 08:39 AM   #15
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollister View Post
OK, have a look on PP's website, search 240 movement micro-rotor, and see which watches have it. Then choose one.
Well intentioned, but flawed logic, seeing as the only moonphase 240-based movements are Perpetual Calendars.
Bar the Nautilus 5712 (and 5726 with full size rotor), the OP is either going to have to forego the complication, re-think his stance on the Nautilus range, have deeper pockets, or simply look at something other than a Patek to get what he wants.

On that last point, he may want to start thinking about the new Parmigiani Tonda 1950 Moon – perhaps one of the very limited edition versions.

I would also look at the Chopard LUC Lunar Twin and Lunar Big Date, if the micro-rotor (less efficient than a full rotor) was a must-have.
And if a prominent moonphase was preferable then, whilst wearing smaller than its size, I’d give definite consideration to the Arnold & Son HM Perpetual.
You could also look at the Christiaan van der Klaaw Real Moon Joure, but there may be a big leap of faith involved on that one, as it uses a heavily modified ETA – but not as much as the Nord Zeitmaschine does.

If your budget climbs into the $30Ks, you may contemplate the like of the De Bethune DBSWS, which like the CdvK, has the moon in 3D form too.
Beyond that, and reverting to the more classical style, but in manual wind mode only, you have the H Moser & Cie Endeavour Moon.

Have fun researching those, and good luck in deciding which way to go – but the answer doesn’t always lie with Patek.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2017, 11:32 AM   #16
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
After Davis and Boris I think it'll be secret Santa time.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2017, 11:36 AM   #17
hutchman
"TRF" Member

Watch: All things Patek
Quote:
And looking at Trudeau's poll numbers I believe you are correct!

Warren Buffett
hutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2017, 12:57 PM   #18
kneedeep
"TRF" Member

Skip the Moonphase complication and get a World Time.
Old 21 June 2017, 01:21 PM   #19
MJaber
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
Well intentioned, but flawed logic, seeing as the only moonphase 240-based movements are Perpetual Calendars.
Bar the Nautilus 5712 (and 5726 with full size rotor), the OP is either going to have to forego the complication, re-think his stance on the Nautilus range, have deeper pockets, or simply look at something other than a Patek to get what he wants.

On that last point, he may want to start thinking about the new Parmigiani Tonda 1950 Moon – perhaps one of the very limited edition versions.

I would also look at the Chopard LUC Lunar Twin and Lunar Big Date, if the micro-rotor (less efficient than a full rotor) was a must-have.
And if a prominent moonphase was preferable then, whilst wearing smaller than its size, I’d give definite consideration to the Arnold & Son HM Perpetual.
You could also look at the Christiaan van der Klaaw Real Moon Joure, but there may be a big leap of faith involved on that one, as it uses a heavily modified ETA – but not as much as the Nord Zeitmaschine does.

If your budget climbs into the $30Ks, you may contemplate the like of the De Bethune DBSWS, which like the CdvK, has the moon in 3D form too.
Beyond that, and reverting to the more classical style, but in manual wind mode only, you have the H Moser & Cie Endeavour Moon.

Have fun researching those, and good luck in deciding which way to go – but the answer doesn’t always lie with Patek.
Thanks for the many wonderful suggestions. I actually liked the Christiaan van der Klaaw. However i think I'm leaning towards the 3940! now the trick is to locate a good specimen. I like the 5146 but for the same money i can get a perpetual calendar and a watch that is historically important in PP history.
Old 21 June 2017, 01:35 PM   #20
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks for the many wonderful suggestions. I actually liked the Christiaan van der Klaaw. However i think I'm leaning towards the 3940! now the trick is to locate a good specimen. I like the 5146 but for the same money i can get a perpetual calendar and a watch that is historically important in PP history.
The 3940 is a very nice PC and you should be able to find a 3940J in good condition for a little over $30K USD. Another PC in that price range is the 5040 with the same movement as the 3940, but in a tonneau-shaped case. If you can find either of these with an original winder case, that would be a bonus.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2017, 01:45 PM   #21
MJaber
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
The 3940 is a very nice PC and you should be able to find a 3940J in good condition for a little over $30K USD. Another PC in that price range is the 5040 with the same movement as the 3940, but in a tonneau-shaped case. If you can find either of these with an original winder case, that would be a bonus.
Thank you! i think I'm set on the 3940 now. Compared to the 5140 and the 5327 the 3940 represents the quintessential Swiss watchmaking tradition. In fact, the proportions of the subdials, the size of the fonts and overall balanced aesthetics remind me of the style of watches i used to see my father and grandfather wear.

Plus, it meets my budget of 50k or less!
Old 21 June 2017, 01:50 PM   #22
anirudh.412
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
While we are on the topic of PC, how tangible is to have the 3940 as a 'regular watch'? Are the grand complications more fragile that their 'time only' counterparts? If one would get the 3940 and want to wear it on his/her wrist everyday and forget about it, would that be unwise?
anirudh.412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2017, 02:50 PM   #23
Flex368
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus49 View Post
The new version with micro rotor and moon phase?
Flex368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2017, 01:42 AM   #24
greatmattsby
"TRF" Member

Watch: YES
Used 5015 should be right up your alley.
greatmattsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2017, 02:06 AM   #25
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
Quote:
Originally Posted by anirudh.412 View Post
While we are on the topic of PC, how tangible is to have the 3940 as a 'regular watch'? Are the grand complications more fragile that their 'time only' counterparts? If one would get the 3940 and want to wear it on his/her wrist everyday and forget about it, would that be unwise?

I wear my 5140 as a daily to the office. I rotate with my 5130 as well, but on average, it's 3-4 days a week with the 5140, including stretches of weeks at a time. It's fantastic. With its low profile, the 5140 doesn't attract dings (I am very wrist aware, though). I think the same will hold true for the 3940.
Old 22 June 2017, 02:35 AM   #26
anirudh.412
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2la View Post
I wear my 5140 as a daily to the office. I rotate with my 5130 as well, but on average, it's 3-4 days a week with the 5140, including stretches of weeks at a time. It's fantastic. With its low profile, the 5140 doesn't attract dings (I am very wrist aware, though). I think the same will hold true for the 3940.
Thank you for your input. Don't intend to detract this thread, but since OP decided on the same watch I am contemplating, I assumed this information would be of use to him as well. I was initially set on a 3796, but the 3940 caught my fancy, but my only concern was the additional moving parts and the watch's viability as a daily driver, not just at work but at home and outside. I am of the opinion that you should be able to put on a watch (grand complication or otherwise) and go about your daily activities without a second thought.
anirudh.412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2017, 02:49 AM   #27
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Moonphase and micro rotor?
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2017, 03:14 AM   #28
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
was thinking 3940 as well
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2017, 03:46 AM   #29
WatchingAustin
"TRF" Member

Watch: iwatch
5208P - enough said :)
WatchingAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2017, 04:04 AM   #30
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
That is what I did and what I would recommend, but oh well.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote