The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 2 April 2021, 04:47 PM   #1
ahafs1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek Aquanaut
Questions Re Birth Year Submariner

Hi all. Looking for some advice/guidance.

Recently bought myself a birth year submariner dating from 1986 which I'm really over the moon about finally finding

Have a couple of questions regarding next steps with my watch. I should add though, I have no plans to sell the watch any time soon (if ever), but thinking towards the future if I needed to, especially from the collector point of view.

1) It seems as though the hands were replaced during a later service, however rest of watch seems to be correct to time period (bezel, dial, bracelet etc). My question is, does having later period hands affect or hurt the value majorly? If so, is it worth trying to source hands that are period correct?

2) I would like to send the watch off for a service at Rolex. I know many will advise against this due to the watch being a vintage, however, I would only be requesting a movement service which I have been assured will be respected should I proceed. What are the pros and cons of doing so?

Is there anything else I need to think about or consider in regards to now owning a vintage Sub?

Thanks all
ahafs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2021, 05:34 PM   #2
borango
"TRF" Member

Here in Europe you can request at Rolex Ad’s service centers to limit service to movement/crown and can specifically state not to polish, touch bezel, dial/hands. This is what I do with all my vintage pieces.

If this is a collectible piece of some value, and you intend to wear it or to avoid damage to movement after not being serviced for many years, you can request Rolex to let you keep the parts of the movement they replace (not possible with dial/hands) for a 30% surplus charge to the service cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
borango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2021, 07:38 PM   #3
ahafs1
"TRF" Member

This is reassuring 😁
Old 3 April 2021, 03:02 AM   #4
mrs_LA
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahafs1 View Post
1) It seems as though the hands were replaced during a later service, however rest of watch seems to be correct to time period (bezel, dial, bracelet etc). My question is, does having later period hands affect or hurt the value majorly? If so, is it worth trying to source hands that are period correct?
The more original a watch is the higher the "value." I personally believe that while service hands do affect the value, it's not so much an issue compared to the originality and condition of the dial.

Considering the era of your watch, if the color of the hands is lighter from the dial but still tritium, chances are it is original to the watch but just aged differently which is not uncommon at all. If the hands do glow then yes they have been replaced. Maybe $300-500 less. Feel free to post a picture for us to see.
Old 3 April 2021, 04:42 AM   #5
ahafs1
"TRF" Member

I'm attaching a picture I took a couple of days back. But yes, the hands do glow, hence why I suspect they may have been changed at some point
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20210402_223835.jpg (252.9 KB, 135 views)
Old 3 April 2021, 04:47 AM   #6
ahafs1
"TRF" Member

Attaching another image taken in the sunlight
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20210402_224632.jpg (270.9 KB, 136 views)
Old 3 April 2021, 04:51 AM   #7
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Given the condition of the dial, I'm not sure that the hands are really such a major issue in this particular case. It's possible that Rolex might insist on replacing the dial given the damage. I don't think you will know until you try.
Old 3 April 2021, 05:18 AM   #8
swaini3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT, DRSD
Agree with Dan S, the dial will be more of an "issue" for Rolex. A movement service will be good if they respect all your requests including (No polishing) and whatever you ask of them. I would source the right hands if they are actually period correct for your watch, if the price is right and the color matches. It wouldn't bother me the way they are now as much as ones with the wrong color....
Beware of some that will sell you anything and say they are correct.
swaini3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2021, 07:02 AM   #9
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Value is in the originality of a rare collector piece, not in "looks like the original", or "era correct", or whatever way you want to describe them, they are all replacements.

There is no value benefit in changing from service hands unless you plan to falsify the watch history in the future.

You might find peace-of-mind with era correct hands, but they would not be functional.
Old 3 April 2021, 07:02 AM   #10
waspy1
Banned

I don’t think I’ve seen this type of ageing on a gloss dial before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
waspy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2021, 11:02 AM   #11
Kowaco
"TRF" Member

Watch: G Shock
I bought a Rolex Sub new in 1986. Several years later I noticed a small bit of the lume on the minute hand was gone,just a tiny spec. 20 years later in 2006 I sent it to Rolex for service and the said once the Tritium starts to crumble they have to replace it, so they replaced the hands. I’m guessing that’s what happened with yours.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kowaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2021, 02:21 PM   #12
ahafs1
"TRF" Member

Really appreciate the feedback/guidance that has been provided thus far. Will send off to RSC at some point over next few days and see what they say about servicing the movement only
Old 4 April 2021, 05:20 AM   #13
Kowaco
"TRF" Member

Watch: G Shock
I sent it back through the AD, he told me Rolex couldn’t guarantee the work if I didn’t replace the hands because the crumbling tritium could get into the movement. I didn’t question it and just had them overhaul the watch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kowaco is offline   Reply With Quote