The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 15 June 2018, 04:46 AM   #1
BoozeBaron
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Yachtmaster
Icon5 “Can I?” Bracelet change question (go easy please) :)

Howdy all...

Brand new here. First post and after just hanging up with my jeweler and based on his reply, (I’ve known and used this guy/company for almost 20 yrs. now) so to get my throat ripped out over the phone by him, wasn’t exactly the most pleasant way to start my day! - So, I figured I’d broaden my knowledge pool some (for what I think is a fairly basic question) and toss it out to the general public here and see what kind of responses we get?

I don’t know anyone from Adam here (yet!):) but suspect we’re all “purists” (I know I am) yet what I’m suggesting, I guess in his eyes, crosses that line maybe? Let’s see aye? Please don’t flame🔥me too hard here.

Okay... So, what is missing out of my collection is a 2018 Rolex GMT Master II “Pepsi” (red/blue) ceramic bezel but on a S/S oyster bracelet. I believe the 2016 version released that came with an Oyster bracelet was solid white gold. Then this year (or 2017/2018 model) they finally released a stainless steel version and think to most everyone’s surprise, only comes with a jubilee bracelet in stainless. Also with the updated ceramic bezel and what I think is the best color combinations ever of GMT 24 hour hand and bezel, etc.

Okay... so here’s the basic question. Having just bought a two tone Yachtmaster II about 18 months ago (which I love) I did a deal with my Seadweller to get that price down and don’t really miss it all that much (my black 16610 is my daily driver) but after 10+ years and ‘everyone’ owning one now (or a replica-ahem) the red/blue GMT II fits that “weekend, boating, casual dress day, golf” going out casual square on the head for me - so I ordered one last week. Problem is, I’m just not a fan of the jubilee bracelet and didn’t feel like dropping $35k on a white gold oyster right after my Yachtmaster purchase (my better half is already about to string me up for that one) Anyway, what I wish to do is once I get the new GMT II in, is then order direct from Rolex a S/S Oyster GMT II band and have my (now pissed off authorized Rolex jeweler) remove the jubilee one and place it in the box (remaining new and unworn) and then mounting the new Rolex fresh S/S Oyster GMT bracelet on instead of the jubilee. I’m certain all of you saw this question coming 30 lines ago. But now that it’s on the table... (#1) Can this be done? (Lugs, links, case diameter, etc.) - Do the jubilee and oyster attach in the same fashion on the GMT II?? (2017/2018) - if that’s a solid “no” like due to case size or something down those lines, then I’ll just punt for the white gold version as one thing I loathe (or let’s call it a pet peeve) is ppl who mod their watches outside of Rolex spec. If it’s factory offered, I’m good. But just seen some bad mods that Rolex would never sign off on. Ya know? So that’s the purist in me siding with my own Rolex guy who already verbally thrashed me - so I get that. Also, since the 16670 (?) was the same as what I’m trying to achieve (red/blue with S/S oyster bracelet from the factory) - I’m in no way trying to pass off what I’m wearing as white gold vs. stainless. Simply put, I buy new only (unless I’m trading up like I did with my SD) but I want new from Rolex and no bling or gaudy mods. Since Rolex released this configuration years ago, and now in stainless (again) but opted to go with the jubilee bracelet - that either means buying an older one and updating the bezel and possibly the band to get it to 2017/18 specs (but think the crown guard is bigger this year?) Either way, can it be done? (#2) if so, is this considered a “tacky mod” that I just got done moaning about when others’ do it? As I am a purist. But I also don’t wanna be viewed as being hypocritical... However in my view, Rolex has already released this watch earlier. Discontinued now in lieu of the jubilee stainless bracelet I guess... but just the same. It’s all new to new. Rolex to Rolex. And if/when I ever do move on and sell, the brand new factory jubilee goes back on and I sell the used S/S oyster and just move on. Does anyone have an issue with this?? My jeweler sure does! And just guilted me out so bad, that I now feel obligated to go with the white gold instead. But that’s not what I want. And I’m honest enough to say that after saving for the YMII it’s a stretch to go with the gold again.... Plus this GMT II in white gold looks like S/S from afar, yet is $10K more than my YMII!? So I think my brain chokes on that “logic” too. I dunno.

So that’s my story and I’m sticking to it... Haha. But seriously I’d love to hear some feedback if I’m walking on the wrong side of an ethical tight wire here (if it’s even doable) or, that I’m “OK” swapping bracelets? Jury dismissed! :) I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Many thanks!!

BB
BoozeBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2018, 08:27 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Waiting for the Readers Digest version,,,,,,,,,,,,
Old 16 June 2018, 05:38 PM   #3
ROLLiWORKS
"TRF" Member

kids say the darndest things

" I believe the 2016 version released that came with an Oyster bracelet was solid white gold. "
ROLLiWORKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2018, 05:52 PM   #4
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
I would have spared the OP for just ONE more paragraph.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2018, 02:21 AM   #5
scooba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Anything
Phew

THE new Pepsi 126710 , yes you can fit a GMT SS Oyster bracelet despite Rolex reps at Basel saying you can't ,its been done already

i hope this answers your question
scooba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2018, 04:43 AM   #6
BoozeBaron
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Yachtmaster
Many MANY thanks “Scooba”. Mine arrives Thursday based on the latest tracking info. So will go ahead and also order the Oystersteel bracelet too. I’m certain that’ll take a bit of research as Basel indicated a case change but offered up no hints as to what parts were changed. But will give it a go.

“Ethically” or from a purists POV, are you good with this mod? I’ve obviously already explained (to everyones great displeasure) my concerns and not wanting to be hypocritical.. but as we both have said, it’s been done already (direct from Rolex) so I feel okay about it despite my Rolex guy laying a trip on me.

Also to those that roasted me - So, I see now was off by a “year” on the solid gold oyster re-issue. Shoot me.

Anyway. Thanks Scooba for wading thru my lengthy tale and giving a helpful and respectful answer.

Best,

BB

From us “kids”

Baselworld 2014: Rolex announced a new GMT-reference in white gold, the Ref. 116719 with a red and blue bezel.
BoozeBaron is offline   Reply With Quote