The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 20 June 2018, 11:36 PM   #1
briboxer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: forever changing
What is the purpose of a deposit?

I have become uncertain on the intent of a deposit

When someone says "please hold it a few days, I will get my funds in order, and work out banking logistics, here is a deposit (likely paypal)". You've accepted their sincerity, taken the deposit, removed the product from the market (whether it be ebay, our forum or another), and waiting for funds to show.

A few days has passed, no funds, little communication if any. Finally, "my wife won't let me, I am having banking/tax/just can't afford it issues, found a better deal, or I have changed my mind".

Here's the question...should a full deposit refund be issued?

If we were to eliminate the amount of the deposit, or who needs the money more, and concentrate on the professional principal, what do you think?

Thanks for reading
briboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2018, 11:43 PM   #2
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
I can see it both ways and as such, I think the rules have to be specific.
It should be stated if all parties agree that it’s a non refundable deposit to hold item and no longer have it available for purchase by anyone else.
123Blueface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2018, 11:44 PM   #3
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by briboxer View Post
I have become uncertain on the intent of a deposit

When someone says "please hold it a few days, I will get my funds in order, and work out banking logistics, here is a deposit (likely paypal)". You've accepted their sincerity, taken the deposit, removed the product from the market (whether it be ebay, our forum or another), and waiting for funds to show.

A few days has passed, no funds, little communication if any. Finally, "my wife won't let me, I am having banking/tax/just can't afford it issues, found a better deal, or I have changed my mind".

Here's the question...should a full deposit refund be issued?

If we were to eliminate the amount of the deposit, or who needs the money more, and concentrate on the professional principal, what do you think?

Thanks for reading
It’s annoying. I always decline a deposit and decline to take the watch off the market. If a watch is a slow mover sometimes I will place a “hold” on it for 24 hours but I’m not taking a deposit and I’m not offering any real time other than for a bank wire to clear.
Old 20 June 2018, 11:44 PM   #4
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

in this situation, nonrefundable 100%. The product is available and for sale and holding it represents an actual potential loss for the seller if the buyer isnt serious since others cant buy it during that time.

In the example of an AD holding your place in line with an unknown delivery date some months or years in the future that should be refundable although i disagree for the need for a deposit in that situation at all.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2018, 11:46 PM   #5
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
in this situation, un-refundable 100%.

In the example of an AD holding your place in line with an unknown delivery date some months or years in the future that should be refundable although i disagree for the need for a deposit in that situation at all.
Agree but in today’s litigious world we live in, specifying it in writing removes all doubt.
123Blueface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2018, 11:57 PM   #6
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
in this situation, nonrefundable 100%. The product is available and for sale and holding it represents an actual potential loss for the seller if the buyer isnt serious since others cant buy it during that time.

Agree. and I always, always, always will invoice a deposit myself. That way, I specificallly stipulate, 'NON-REFUNDABLE DEPOSIT for xxxxxxxxxx' and include the amount of days we agree upon to 'hold' said item. Just as the above poster stated, this alleviates any uncertainty and clarifies for both parties.
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2018, 11:58 PM   #7
Bluside
2024 Pledge Member

I have always been under the impression that a deposit on an item is refundable unless it expressly says "non-refundable" in writing.
Bluside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2018, 12:00 AM   #8
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Needs to be non-refundable or auto-void after a specified amount of days. I wouldn't hold for more than 3 days.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2018, 12:04 AM   #9
briboxer
2024 Pledge Member

Your responses are all very much appreciated, and understood. Points well taken. I think the consensus seems to be to specify in writing refundable or not.
Old 21 June 2018, 12:07 AM   #10
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
A traditiional Deposit means little for private sale matters.

A Partial Payment contract is what you’re looking for.

Always cut the buyer loose (fast!) and move on if they flake or even start to flake.

(Trust me.)
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2018, 12:14 AM   #11
briboxer
2024 Pledge Member

Exactly. Rather than dwell on right or wrong, move on. It is only myself to blame for not specifying a deposit to remove a product from marketplace is "non-refundable".
Old 21 June 2018, 12:41 AM   #12
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluside View Post
I have always been under the impression that a deposit on an item is refundable unless it expressly says "non-refundable" in writing.
That seems to be a common thought, but then the deposit means exactly nothing.

The seller takes it off the market and the buyer either buys or doesn't with no penalty.

Makes the idea of a deposit meaningless.

Any deposit needs a penalty for not following through on the sale.

Stores often allow deposits to be returned but that's usually for goodwill.
Blansky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2018, 01:45 AM   #13
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Make the deposit a significant chunk, and specify what you’re willing to refund. For example, 15% holds the watch for seven days. Depost is not refundable, but may be used within one year against another purchase.

Frivolous buyers won’t be interested in these terms, and allowing the option to buy something else keeps you from burning bridges.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2018, 01:53 AM   #14
uncleluck
"TRF" Member

I’ve seen this a few times now on another forum I frequent.

Watch goes up for sale, “deposit taken”

Few days later... “buyer can’t complete so back up for sale”

I’ve bought many watches on forums and never have (or would) I said I’d buy a watch unless I had the money in place to act instantly.

I wouldn’t take a deposit either.
uncleluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2018, 02:08 AM   #15
Colin G
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570, 214270
I'd do a non refundable deposit. Keeps the tire kickers and time wasters away.

Anyone putting a $$$ deposit on a watch should really know if they want the watch or not or if mommy (wife) will allow it.

Commit to buy or don't waste the seller's time.
Colin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2018, 02:31 AM   #16
RichM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: out now,take care!
Without a prior stipulation, I would say the “right thing” in this case is yes, refund it. Not sure that I would ever ask that of any seller on here. An AD maybe, but not here.

Just remember, Burn me once, shame on you. Burn me twice, shame on me. (Or something like that). Take it as a lesson learned.
TRF #139960
RichM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2018, 03:13 AM   #17
ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ{Adventure!)
"TRF" Member

As everyone else has stated, definitely charge a non-refundable deposit, preferably of 10-20%.

I would actually be more at ease with a seller having such a policy because it both guarantees that I’m serious about the purchase even if delays occur & that the seller would honor and hold my item.

Many cases of me inquiring on a purchase just to be told “sorry someone offered more cash, so it’ll go to them unless you want to add”.

A deposit with clear guidelines of time vs. dollar amount will do more good than bad imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ{Adventure!) is offline   Reply With Quote