The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX


Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Yesterday, 03:18 AM   #5551
enjoythemusic
2023 ROLEX EXPLORER 40 Pledge Member
 
enjoythemusic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Real Name: Steven
Location: Glocal
Posts: 17,969
Question: Will the current teams still receive the same funding from the sport's payout system? If by adding another team funding would be 'cut' to the current teams, this could cause the vote to be skewed in keeping today's status quo. Thus no team has a chance to be added now, and perhaps in the future. Imho the FIA / Liberty Mafdia / whomever should decide, as am sure they know who has the resources and talent pool.
__________________
__________________
ďLife should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'Ē -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:45 AM   #5552
INC
2023 Pledge Member
 
INC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Location: Budapest, HU
Watch: 17000B, B+W
Posts: 1,565
In my opinion, since there will be no more money, there are only two options left to let them race:

- the new team(s) will not receive a share of the revenues,
- or they pay so much money as an entrance fee which covers the losses of the other teams for years.

I think, as there is no reason at all for the other teams to let a new competitor enter into their circus, so the aboves are the very minimum requirements to let the owners think about this idea.
INC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:51 AM   #5553
SDGT3
"TRF" Member
 
SDGT3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Real Name: Phillip
Location: Right here
Watch: SD43 Daytona Blusy
Posts: 1,536
Just because the FIA has vetted the team's application, after having rejected 3 other team's applications, doesn't mean automatic entry to F1. Andretti Motorsport needs to reach a commercial agreement with FOM and who knows what that will be. Toto and Stefano Dominicali have been the most vocal regarding possible expansion to the grid. The rumored price of entry has also gone up from an estimate $100m to over $200m.

An Andretti Cadillac team could mean expanded viewership in NA as there are now 5 total races in NA and 3 just in the US.

Then there is also this caveat:

F1 teams have to prove they have the sporting, technical and financial capabilities to join the F1 grid, as well as explain plans on sustainability and positive societal impact.
SDGT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:13 AM   #5554
dba
2023 Pledge Member
 
dba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Real Name: David
Location: Gardnerville, NV
Watch: 16710
Posts: 2,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDGT3 View Post
Then there is also this caveat:

F1 teams have to prove they have the sporting, technical and financial capabilities to join the F1 grid, as well as explain plans on sustainability and positive societal impact.
I'm only referencing the sporting capabilities, but the teams in 7th through 10th place have a combined total of 48 points, whereas Alpine in 6th is closer to 100 points.

If F1 wants to be honest with themselves, and their audience, they'll actually have to answer the question about the sporting capabilities of the four teams at the bottom of the points table. Andretti can't do too much worse.
__________________
Current: 16710
Previous: 16760 Fat Lady, 16613 Bluesy, 16800, 14060, 16710 Pepsi, 216570 Polar, 116710LN, 16610, 216570 Polar (again), 16713, 216570 Polar (yet again), 16710 Black
Hope is not a strategy.
dba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:33 AM   #5555
Lol-x
Facilitator
 
Lol-x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Real Name: Steve
Location: Omnipresent
Posts: 33,028
Verstappen has made this sport very uninteresting to a lot of spectators (650,000 alone in the USA).

While I remain interested, it is a struggle to watch when by lap 3 Verstappen has a 5 second lead...
__________________

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:48 AM   #5556
piratfisk
"TRF" Member
 
piratfisk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Real Name: Jake
Location: 92116
Watch: 16233, 116619LB
Posts: 1,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by dba View Post
I'm only referencing the sporting capabilities, but the teams in 7th through 10th place have a combined total of 48 points, whereas Alpine in 6th is closer to 100 points.

If F1 wants to be honest with themselves, and their audience, they'll actually have to answer the question about the sporting capabilities of the four teams at the bottom of the points table. Andretti can't do too much worse.
These are great points. I'm all for the expansion of the grid, but Horner's grubby mitts would be hard-pressed to voluntarily take a pay cut. The Andretti name goes back decades & has history with Lotus, Ferrari & Alfa. Bringing that racing dynasty back into the sport is, I believe, a solid move for F1's future fanbase.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x View Post
Verstappen has made this sport very uninteresting to a lot of spectators (650,000 alone in the USA).

While I remain interested, it is a struggle to watch when by lap 3 Verstappen has a 5 second lead...
Excellent comments, as well. I honestly don't watch VER anymore. He runs off & does his own thing, I pay attention to the RUS/NOR/PIA/HAM-level drivers. That's where the fun racing is. It's so easy for a casual fan to bandwagon onto the winning team (ten years ago, it was HAM at MB). "omg I love drinking red bull & I love watching 'my team' win" pffffttt

Any team can sweep the points boards with infinity dollars... Look at the late 90s, early 00s New York Yankees.
__________________
What's the time? It's time to get ill.
piratfisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:43 AM   #5557
77T
2023 ROLEX EXPLORER 40 x2 Pledge Member
 
77T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Real Name: PaulG
Location: Georgia
Posts: 39,817
Iím surprised by 2 of the teams who didnít make it: Hitech GP and Rodin Carlin. Both field multiple cars in F2, F3 & F4.

But there is one element I havenít noticed mentioned in the media.

Andretti supports much more than this bid with the FIA. They have a Formula E team in that World Championship series (FE represents sustainability, renewable energy, and net zero commits) and an Extreme E Championship team that makes active investments in planetary sustainability as well as diversity in race teams - each team has a female driver paired with a male driver.

I think that may have made a difference aside from the financial ante which was the same for all applicants.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
__________________


Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:43 AM   #5558
Lol-x
Facilitator
 
Lol-x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Real Name: Steve
Location: Omnipresent
Posts: 33,028
That's true, I have more interest watching the inter team battles between Hamilton v. Russell, Sainz v. Leclerc and Piastri v. Norris, Tsunoda v. Ricciardo (Lawson) etc.
__________________

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:48 AM   #5559
piratfisk
"TRF" Member
 
piratfisk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Real Name: Jake
Location: 92116
Watch: 16233, 116619LB
Posts: 1,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Iím surprised by 2 of the teams who didnít make it: Hitech GP and Rodin Carlin. Both field multiple cars in F2, F3 & F4.

But there is one element I havenít noticed mentioned in the media.

Andretti supports much more than this bid with the FIA. They have a Formula E team in that World Championship series (FE represents sustainability, renewable energy, and net zero commits) and an Extreme E Championship team that makes active investments in planetary sustainability as well as diversity in race teams - each team has a female driver paired with a male driver.

I think that may have made a difference aside from the financial ante which was the same for all applicants.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Excellent points. Admittedly, I don't know much about the current Andretti organization, just know they're in many different disciplines. I think they have Honda engines in their IndyCar teams, which may be awkward if they get Cadillac to sign on as a supplier. But, Oracle RBR did the same with Ford so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x View Post
That's true, I have more interest watching the inter team battles between Hamilton v. Russell, Sainz v. Leclerc and Piastri v. Norris, Tsunoda v. Ricciardo (Lawson) etc.
Don't forget the epic comedy/tragedy that is Alpine. "We want to create an all-French team!" *cries when both French drivers make hand gestures to each other & blame everything other than themselves*
__________________
What's the time? It's time to get ill.
piratfisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:52 AM   #5560
77T
2023 ROLEX EXPLORER 40 x2 Pledge Member
 
77T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Real Name: PaulG
Location: Georgia
Posts: 39,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x View Post
Verstappen has made this sport very uninteresting to a lot of spectators (650,000 alone in the USA).

While I remain interested, it is a struggle to watch when by lap 3 Verstappen has a 5 second lead...

I get that Steve and there is the problem of damping viewers.

In racing, the embarrassing lack of performance among the other teams isnít the fault of the dominant team or drivers (unless they are caught cheating).

How these other teams manage to fritter away combined billions of Ä and not seriously challenge RB is beside me.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
__________________


Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:57 AM   #5561
piratfisk
"TRF" Member
 
piratfisk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Real Name: Jake
Location: 92116
Watch: 16233, 116619LB
Posts: 1,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
I get that Steve and there is the problem of damping viewers.

In racing, the embarrassing lack of performance among the other teams isn’t the fault of the dominant team or drivers (unless they are caught cheating).

How these other teams manage to fritter away combined billions of € and not seriously challenge RB is beside me.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
It's not like Haas/Alpine/Alfa have a DRASTICALLY worse car. It's not like entering MotoGP on a Vespa. I, too, do not understand how the third-tier teams cannot scrape together a point or two, or how their cars seem to be leagues slower.
__________________
What's the time? It's time to get ill.
piratfisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:02 AM   #5562
JP.
"TRF" Member
 
JP.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Real Name: Juho
Location: Finland
Watch: Submariner 16610
Posts: 1,870
From the 1986 season. These guys were complete lunatics to drive these monsters. The cars made even 1400 horsepower in the qualifying trim. Gerhard Berger reported wheelspin at 345 km/h on his Benetton-BMW.

__________________
My Luxury Watch Reviews Blog
JP. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:01 AM   #5563
SDGT3
"TRF" Member
 
SDGT3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Real Name: Phillip
Location: Right here
Watch: SD43 Daytona Blusy
Posts: 1,536
Saw that photo yesterday.... might has well be in a go kart in terms of level of protection from the cockpit.
SDGT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:44 AM   #5564
JP.
"TRF" Member
 
JP.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Real Name: Juho
Location: Finland
Watch: Submariner 16610
Posts: 1,870
Yes, those guys were insane. Amazing that they could fit their balls to that small cockpit. :D :D
__________________
My Luxury Watch Reviews Blog
JP. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:56 AM   #5565
prnceofpersia23
2023 Pledge Member
 
prnceofpersia23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: AZ, USA
Watch: 116500LN
Posts: 1,752
Rooting for Andretti to get on the grid. They bring so much motorsport heritage and history to the table.

Would be great to see some mid to lower level IndyCar drivers get a potential pathway to F1.

I'd also love to see some more American drivers get an opportunity. I'm always pulling for Sargeant and wince every time he puts his car in the wall.
prnceofpersia23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:41 AM   #5566
enjoythemusic
2023 ROLEX EXPLORER 40 Pledge Member
 
enjoythemusic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Real Name: Steven
Location: Glocal
Posts: 17,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP. View Post
Yes, those guys were insane. Amazing that they could fit their balls to that small cockpit. :D :D
Yup, and guess where the gas tank is.
__________________
__________________
ďLife should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'Ē -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:50 AM   #5567
piratfisk
"TRF" Member
 
piratfisk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Real Name: Jake
Location: 92116
Watch: 16233, 116619LB
Posts: 1,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by prnceofpersia23 View Post
Rooting for Andretti to get on the grid. They bring so much motorsport heritage and history to the table.

Would be great to see some mid to lower level IndyCar drivers get a potential pathway to F1.

I'd also love to see some more American drivers get an opportunity. I'm always pulling for Sargeant and wince every time he puts his car in the wall.
I agree with all of this! I like Haas now because they're a US team & I'm a KMAG fan (I'm of Danish descent). Whenever SAR ruins his car week after week, it makes me grimace. I was excited at the Colton Herta prospect (having not really known who he was), but then watched some of his racing in IndyCar & IDK if he'd do much better than SAR. Alexander Rossi may be a good contender, as he is an FIA Super License holder & has some actual F1 experience.
__________________
What's the time? It's time to get ill.
piratfisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:26 AM   #5568
prnceofpersia23
2023 Pledge Member
 
prnceofpersia23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: AZ, USA
Watch: 116500LN
Posts: 1,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratfisk View Post
Alexander Rossi may be a good contender, as he is an FIA Super License holder & has some actual F1 experience.
I think that's the challenge...there are very few American Super License holders, that I know of at least.
prnceofpersia23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (1 members and 1 guests)
JP.
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

DavidSW Watches


*Banners Of The Month*
This space is provided to horological resources.





Copyright ©2004-2023, The Rolex Forums. All Rights Reserved.

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Rolex is a registered trademark of ROLEX USA. The Rolex Forums is not affiliated with ROLEX USA in any way.