The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 20 November 2017, 04:57 AM   #1
jcatt
"TRF" Member

Beware: eBay seller "loving-lives-watches"

I bought a watch from him and while it is genuine, it did not work. It's now with Vanessa, and is going to require significant repair to the movement to correct.

I contacted this guy, whose real name is Sam Jahshan, of "loving-lives-watches" to let him know that the watch he promised was working, is not, and is in fact in need of significant repair, and he laughed and swore at me via email and text. I payed via PayPal so I may have recourse with them to get him to pay for the repairs if I pursue it.

But the point is that he is not an honorable man, so please think twice before doing business with him.

Note also, most of his reviews are as a buyer, not a seller.
Note also that the "authenticity" doc his watches come with is not from any 3rd party. It's basically something he prints up.

So, you've been warned.
JCATT
GMT Master II Pepsi 16710
Cartier Roadster Chrono
jcatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2017, 08:00 AM   #2
Knappo 1307
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
File a dispute. This is a time where it seems justified....
Knappo 1307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2017, 08:03 AM   #3
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knappo 1307 View Post
File a dispute. This is a time where it seems justified....

This. For sure. So that you at least have recourse to try and recover your repair dollars. Not sure how Papal or Ebay will handle that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2017, 10:15 AM   #4
Ballaratboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
I hope you can get this resolved in your favor.
Ballaratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2017, 10:26 AM   #5
MILGAUSS88
"TRF" Member

He is not responsible for repairs if you keep the watch.

His only responsibility is to refund you the money if you return the watch.
So, I would not repair the watch unless you are not going to ask for a refund.
MILGAUSS88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2017, 12:33 PM   #6
eelpie
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15223, 6305/2
Absolutely 100% correct . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by MILGAUSS88 View Post
He is not responsible for repairs if you keep the watch.

His only responsibility is to refund you the money if you return the watch.
So, I would not repair the watch unless you are not going to ask for a refund.
Once you've initiated repairs, any chance of repayment of any sort is gone.

Your choices are either to return the watch and get a PayPal refund if need-be, or pay for the repairs out of your own pocket.

If you present the seller with a bill for, say, $500, the seller can tell you either he could have had it done for half that, or that none of the work you authorized (without his consent) was necessary . . .
eelpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2017, 09:11 AM   #7
jcatt
"TRF" Member

It seems that he will refund the money if I send it back, which is nice, but I want to keep the watch and get it running, and do not trust him (given his attitude and previous lies) to service it as expertly as Vanessa can- it is with her now.

I will let the repair issue go, but do think he should at a minimum either refund me the price for a new genuine Rolex bezel insert, or provide me with one.

Regardless, this man is not honorable, and his eBay description was a lie, and I wanted to warn people.
JCATT
Cartier Roadster Chrono
Old 21 November 2017, 10:51 AM   #8
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Was the movement guaranteed by the seller - or sold as is?

Was your watch sold here on TRF?

Did he know the bezel insert was aftermarket?

(Many sellers on TRF wouldn't have a clue if an insert is fake. I saw the infamous, fake "hooked 2" insert on a GMT being offered for sale today. No mention was made that it was fake/aftermarket insert.)

jP

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2017, 10:58 AM   #9
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eelpie View Post
Once you've initiated repairs, any chance of repayment of any sort is gone.

Your choices are either to return the watch and get a PayPal refund if need-be, or pay for the repairs out of your own pocket.

If you present the seller with a bill for, say, $500, the seller can tell you either he could have had it done for half that, or that none of the work you authorized (without his consent) was necessary . . .
^^^Agree with this

If the buyer decides to keep the watch I doubt that PayPal will get involved.

Keep the watch and repair it at your own cost and discretion or return for refund.

Agree that the seller seems less than reputable and thanks to the OP for the warning.

Tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2017, 11:03 AM   #10
GradyPhilpott
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor Big Rose
All the watches that I've bought from ebay, I've had fully-serviced at my expense just because.

They've all been vintage and they all worked, but it just seemed like the sane thing to do to protect the investment, even though the sellers said they'd been serviced.

You never know what serviced means to someone else.

Nonetheless, the conduct of this particular seller is unjustifiable and it's good to have fair warning.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2017, 12:06 PM   #11
jcatt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Was the movement guaranteed by the seller - or sold as is?

Was your watch sold here on TRF?

Did he know the bezel insert was aftermarket?

jP
Yes, the movement was said to have been serviced and running like new to Rolex specs. When Vanessa took the back off, it was clear that whoever was in there last was untrained or clumsy, as a bridge screw was missing, and a part of the bridge had made it's way into the work, gumming it up. She's fixing everything, replacing all impacted parts with genuine Rolex parts, at no small expense to me, but I felt it was dishonest of him to claim it was running well. So when he first offered to fix it, I thought NO WAY would I let him in there again.

I suppose a grand to get it working like new and 100% genuine is no big deal, but it was dishonest of him to claim it would come to me in that condition, and his attitude and swearing and mocking me afterwards was beyond it.

As far as the insert, no idea what he knew, and since when we engage he tends to swear at and belittle me, I doubt I'll ever know.
JCATT
Cartier Roadster Chrono
Old 21 November 2017, 12:34 PM   #12
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcatt View Post
Yes, the movement was said to have been serviced and running like new to Rolex specs. When Vanessa took the back off, it was clear that whoever was in there last was untrained or clumsy, as a bridge screw was missing, and a part of the bridge had made it's way into the work, gumming it up. She's fixing everything, replacing all impacted parts with genuine Rolex parts, at no small expense to me, but I felt it was dishonest of him to claim it was running well. So when he first offered to fix it, I thought NO WAY would I let him in there again.

I suppose a grand to get it working like new and 100% genuine is no big deal, but it was dishonest of him to claim it would come to me in that condition, and his attitude and swearing and mocking me afterwards was beyond it.

As far as the insert, no idea what he knew, and since when we engage he tends to swear at and belittle me, I doubt I'll ever know.
JCATT
Sounds like the bridge isn't the only thing with a screw missing!

Sorry to hear of this experience and the seller sounds like a complete jerk. At least you've taken the steps to fix the situation and I'm sure when Vanessa gets done it will be perfect. Did the purchase price leave you some margin to absorb partially the cost of the repair I hope?

Thanks again for the warning. Will stay far far away from this seller.

Tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2017, 03:37 PM   #13
Kickstart
"TRF" Member

Watch: Oyster P
Quote:

JCATT
From what I have heard about this type of behavior, ebay will ban him so you need to report this seller and I hope you have some e-mail's to back it up.
Kickstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2017, 04:19 PM   #14
freefly
"TRF" Member

Watch: 4&5-digit Sub/GMTs
Just to aid in any future searches, I believe the name of the seller is actually "loving-lifes-watches"
freefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2017, 05:20 PM   #15
eelpie
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15223, 6305/2
Quote:

I will let the repair issue go, but do think he should at a minimum either refund me the price for a new genuine Rolex bezel insert, or provide me with one.
On a dubious deal with a dubious seller there can be no half measures. Either you return the item, whatever it may be, for a refund, or you're an owner and you assume the consequences.

Once you've got the watch and he's got the money, either you kill the deal or you live with the watch.

Expecting any sort of service or help in the way of new parts is a bad idea, especially since he's been dealing in bad faith since the get-go.

Personally, I would have returned the watch, and as soon as my money had been refunded, I would have left scathing feed-back and filed a harassment complaint with eBay . . .

Unless you're buying Neil Armstrong's Speedy, there's always going to be another watch just a little bit further down the road.
eelpie is offline   Reply With Quote