The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 15 February 2018, 07:28 PM   #1
Blackdog
"TRF" Member

Spotting fake Blackbays could be more difficult than previously thought.

There are some articles on the web suggesting (among other things) that differences in caseback engravings could be an indicator to identify a fake ETA Blackbay. Sadly, not valid anymore.

I was having a look at my Blackbays side by side, and I noticed a couple of things that I thought would be useful to share. Spotting a fake can be a bit more difficult than previously thought... Not only because the fakes are getting better, but also because Tudor is muddying the waters...

These are pictures (quick and dirty, but clear enough) of my two ETA Blackbays. Both were bought brand new, at retail, from the two major ADs in Holland, with all boxes, papers and stickers in place. So: as unquestionably legit as they come.

The Burgundy one is a very early production bought in December '12. The Black one is, obviously, one of the latest of the ETA production run bought last November.

There are many finishing differences, but very notably, the back engravings are substantially different.

The caseback engraving on the Burgundy (older) is noticeably deeper. The typefont of the reference and serial number is thinner and these numbers look "stamped" on the back on the lugs. Pretty much like the serial numbers in between the lugs of times past. The finish of the back of the lugs is more like a satin finish, with a hint of circular brushing.

The caseback engraving of the Black (newer) is shallower, more like a laser engraving. The typefont of the reference and serial number is thicker and these numbers are clearly laser engraved on the back on the lugs. The finish of the back of the lugs clearly shows the circular brushing.

On the top of the lugs, the finish is also slightly different.

On the Burgundy (older) the circular brushing is pretty pronounced (coarser ?).

On the Black (newer) the circular brushing is less pronounced, and more of a satin finish.

Both have the "deeper" detent at 12 on the bezel, and no "phantom" date change position of the crown that could still be used to rule out fakes. But the only failsafe way seems to be a look at the movement to check for the KIF shock protection and the triovis regulator.
Blackdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2018, 05:54 AM   #2
Dustytrail
"TRF" Member

Watch: Oysterquartz
one of the simplest way is to do a macro zoom onto the dial's Tudor Rose logo - nearly all fake ones all have incomplete inner petals. Other tell-tale signs are the hands' length
Dustytrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2018, 12:57 PM   #3
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Watch: YMII,GMTII,DAYTONA
Thanks for sharing.
TUDOR have moved from engraving to laser etched.

There are other ways to discern between genuine and fake, if you can physically hold the watch.
A
Old 13 March 2021, 01:59 AM   #4
Airking1979
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air King
You put me at ease......

I have the red and black ETAs as well. Just picked up the Black yesterday from a trusted source. When I saw the differences I started to worry. The stamped or engraved version looked a little off to me but I guess I'm good as it is similar to your pictures. The weird thing is that the stamped/engraved is on the black which I thought was the last version that was made for the BB ETA. My thought here is that it would be laser etched. Also, the same coarse finishing on the lugs with the stamped case. I love this version over the in-house heritage and the 58. I appreciate the post and enjoy your watches. New to the Forum and glad to be a part of this group.
Airking1979 is offline   Reply With Quote